PDA

View Full Version : IKAN 8000 HD LCD monitor

tomk358
04-19-2007, 01:14 PM
While at NAB I made a point of looking at as many small LCD's as possible. I had a look at the IKAN 8000, which is an 800x400LCD w/ component HD input. In a word, it was garbage. I know, at $800 what do you expect- but it was dim, the contrast was spotty- went from grey to white very quicly. The aspect ratio was not set properly, and underscan didn't work properly. It also seemed a tad soft- you would have a HARD time focusing with this unit. The guy working the booth was not only mis-informed, he was downright rude. Also, it doesn't have blue only mode- but with an image this bad, I don't really see the point.

Next up- the Marshal. As expected, it looked good enough, not nearly as nice as their 8" screens, but at $1300 it's still got a good picture. Not real bright, no underscan, but certainly good enough for focusing. I wasn't blown away.

Next I hit Nebtek- they have a new 7" LCD monitor coming out in June- it's 600 nits, and a good chunk brighter than the Marshal. It also had underscan, and the best thing, it had a detail enhance setting, which REALLY helped focusing. Also it had an image flip mode, and I THINK some overlay lines for safe boundaries.

I also saw some el-cheapo 7" from a mom-n-pop place that was a small step above the IKAN, but still a far cry from the Marshall or Nebtek. It was $800 as well.

Finally I looked at the SWIT 7"- which was also in the IKAN/garbage level. I didn't even check the price on it.

All of these units were 800x400px, and I expect most use the same LCD panel inside, just have better programmers on the image processing side (or no programmers in the case of the mom-n-pop place, and possibly IKAN.)

-Tom

D.L.
04-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Looks like you were really taken back by the sales guy because I saw a great monitor that could deliver a usable picture for focus. I was a little dissapointed by the lack of a blue switch but oddly enough it was in the monitor settings. I thought the picture was great both times I went to the booth but I will wait until my dealer gets one and do a really good field test.
D.L.

David Saraceno
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow.

Are you guys both referring to he Ikan 800HD?

It's really interesting how the opinions are so opposite.

Sproketz
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
I saw it myself and was satisfied with the sharpness as to using it for focus.

Seemed like a good deal to me.

tomk358
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Strange. I know we were looking at the same monitor, and I thought it was super junky, and the image was pretty bad. Maybe I set the standards too high by looking at the Marshal and Nebteks first.

When I asked the guy about blue only he said "look buddy, it's $800 what do you expect... besides, everyone knows you can't calibrate an LCD monitor with the blue only gun"

This summed up his answers to any of my other questions.

AshG
04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree 100 percent with the original post. Several renters are dumping the marshal for the nebtek. The other monitors mentioned are not good enough for sharp focus.

ash =o)

Arrik
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you happen to catch the price point of the Nebtek?

tomk358
04-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I think the price was 1300 or 1500, can't remember, and it wasn't out yet- they said the 600nit screens were having trouble with the flip circuitry, which was hold up the release. They said June, but who knows. I'll problably rent a marshall till the nebtek comes out.

gco
04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Thats great info Tom.
Thanks for posting it.

Arrik
04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Great! Same price as Marshall with all those bonuses? Looks like I may only have two months left with my marshall...

Justyn
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I haven't been able to get any response from the Ikan people.. Terrible customer service... and your review confirms it and is disappointing. Surely some company will come out with a decent monitor in this pricepoint.. or else I'm gonna have to rent something...

waughsup
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Just spoke with technician at Nebtek...he told me 7" LCD HD analog with flip, underscan, focus assist (among some other fine things) will retail 1750 ish for analog component and 2250 ish for HDSDI.

Cynic821
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Strange. I know we were looking at the same monitor, and I thought it was super junky, and the image was pretty bad. Maybe I set the standards too high by looking at the Marshal and Nebteks first.

When I asked the guy about blue only he said "look buddy, it's $800 what do you expect... besides, everyone knows you can't calibrate an LCD monitor with the blue only gun"

This summed up his answers to any of my other questions.

For such high standards, you throw around immature words for reviews. I cant trust someones thoughts on something when they use these terms, and when just for the sake , not finish getting info on some products.

Im still looking for more info on the IKAN if anyone has any and wants to present some sort of usable review that doesnt include kaka, garbage or turd.

thanks.

nsoltz
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I spoke with the CEO from Ikan and I am hoping to get an eval unit to consider. At $800, it appeared to be a good value for checking focus and composition. All things considered, I would prefer the new Panasonic but we also have to look at features and quality relative to price. From just looking at images, I did not see that significant a difference between the Marshall and the Ikan but it was not a side by side comparison. Show special on the Ikan was $749 and I think there is a definite place in the market for it.

Ned Soltz

Cynic821
04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks ned. hey, was there a screw mount on the top to mount upside down?

An arm to position it bumps the price up or 35mm adapter users.

nsoltz
04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I do not believe there was a screw mount on top. I could be wrong. Will obviously know more when I actually have one in hand. I was mostly looking at image and asking myself would I trust it for focus. My tentative answer is yes. Would I trust it for color? Probably not. Would I trust it for exposure? Maybe. I'm not planning on asking for a unit for at least a couple of weeks since I have too many things ahead of it now.

Ned

tomk358
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Cynic,
I'm sorry my use of immature/casual words has made you mistrust my opinion. I stand by my view that the IKAN's image quailty is low, and I would have a hard time dropping $800 on it, even if it's just for focusing and shot composition. This dislike of the IKAN was only enhanced by my negative experience with their representative at NAB.

For now I will rent a Marshall and save my pennies.

-Tom

David Saraceno
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Tom:

I guess Cynic shares my concern about some of the choices for describing something on this site.

I see "awesome," "sucks," "blows," "crappy," "rocks," etc. all too often.

Nothing personal, but I think we all can do a little better when describing various items, etc.

After all, we all want great looking video; why not good, descriptions as well.

:)

Cynic821
04-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I just checked and i got a buncha L series batteries, so thats good. Im trying to secure one of these for purchase at the moment. No one has them in stock , all back ordered. so if anyone who visits the dvxuser snow globe got one in hand, let us know! thanks a ton everyone.

wgzn
05-05-2007, 04:04 AM
tom and david... you guys might benefit from trusting the other professionals here. i used the word "RAWKS" - because i didnt have time to fully test, but was happy with the out of box first pass AND in the spirit that any pro who would pony up the prelim bucks for an item after seeing the prototype, would be smart enough to tell marketing spin from real value... i think my pics speak for themselves. if you havent seen them, look in the general hvx forum. you can count the winds on the guitar strings.

tom, im not sure what you saw at NAB or maybe you happened by a crusty "engineer type" or maybe someone was tired of the onslaught of "im cooler than you" passers by, but ive had nothing but good experiences with the ikan folks...

AshG
05-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I played with all the monitors at NAB extensively. The Panny's are best but those are rentals for me, just too expensive. The Varizoom, and Ikan were not much better than a cheap DVD player. I have never been a real fan of the Marshall and was hoping for something better and IMHO the Nebtek is easily better. Same resolution but it was easy for TACK SHARP focus, something nothing but the Panny has been for me.

ash =o)

David Saraceno
05-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Others really like the Ikan.

Could you explain why you say that it was "not much better than a cheap DVD player?"

AshG
05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Because it is...to me anyway. I have seen some DVD players with s-video in that look just as good as the IKAN. The IKAN is just not good enough for sharp focus in HD. It will get you close with the stock HVX but not tack sharp and with an adapter, you can forget it. If you set the Ikan side by side I think pretty much anyone could see it is inferior to the Marshall and the Nebtek. That should not be insulting or even a shock because it is half the price. You get what you pay for...

ash =o)

deedive
05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
hi, im new to these monitors. I know the mashall and the ikan but i dont know much about the nebtek and panasonic. Which nebtek and which panasonic models are u refering to?

cbdv
05-09-2007, 07:08 PM
more IKAN monitor information here
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=96265&page=3

Arrik
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
hi, im new to these monitors. I know the mashall and the ikan but i dont know much about the nebtek and panasonic. Which nebtek and which panasonic models are u refering to?

I don't know much about the nebtek, but the panasonic being referred to is the BTLH80W. It has the same resolution as the other mentioned lcd's but it has some cool focus assist features like "focus-in-red." Panny MSRP is $2900 I think, but B&H and Abel Cine have it listed as $2200 (not available though). Think it should be out next month.

I'd like to know more about the nebtek as well. If anyone has a link or a model number we could search that would be cool.

tomk358
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
As I stated earlier in this thread, I also thought the IKAN looked like garbage- terrible colors, bad contrast, and not very sharp picture. I really WANT to be able to use an $800 LCD for focusing w/ DOF adaptors, but I don't think this one will cut it for me.

The Nebtek isn't out yet, but they had a prototype at NAB. The colors and contract looked about the same as the Marshall (to me) but had 2 levels of 'detail' that you could turn on to assist focusing. I thought it was a step ahead of the Marshall, and a good bit brighter as well. Oh, it also had image flip built in.

-Tom

deedive
05-12-2007, 12:47 AM
thx arrik

tom, that Nebtek is looking pretty good. Does it cost more than the marshall?

AshG
05-12-2007, 05:07 PM
As I stated earlier in this thread, I also thought the IKAN looked like garbage- terrible colors, bad contrast, and not very sharp picture. I really WANT to be able to use an $800 LCD for focusing w/ DOF adaptors, but I don't think this one will cut it for me.

The Nebtek isn't out yet, but they had a prototype at NAB. The colors and contract looked about the same as the Marshall (to me) but had 2 levels of 'detail' that you could turn on to assist focusing. I thought it was a step ahead of the Marshall, and a good bit brighter as well. Oh, it also had image flip built in.

-Tom

I concur on all points... I sat the Marshall next to the Nebtek and A/Bed them and everyone there thought the Nebtek was better. It DOES cost a little more.

ash =o)

cbdv
05-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks Ash, very valuable information. Did Nebtek have a release date? Cost?

AshG
05-13-2007, 05:41 PM
$1750 and June is what I was told...

ash =o)

cbdv
05-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the QR, I'll keep a look out..... need a solution and like the brightness comment you made.

cbdv
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I got these specs from a NEBTEK cut sheet, I attached a pdf above, with some pictures

MONITOR HIGHLIGHTS
7 Active Matrix HD - TFT/LCD
16:9, 4:3, & Anamorphic Formats
Detail Function for Critical Focus
Blue Screen & Underscan
Horizontal & Vertical Image Flip
(Daydream Monitor Only)
NTSC/PAL Auto Selection
Multi-Position Connector Box
Accepts All Major Battery Mounts
Top, Bottom or Side Mountable
Anti-glare Acrylic Screen Protector
Rugged Build Aluminum Housing
Extreme Brightness Panel
(Sunshine Daydream Only)
SPECIFICATIONS
4:3, 16:9, & Anamorphic including
4 Different Display Modes.
NTSC/PAL Auto Selection.
Contrast, Color, Brightness, & Tint
Focus Detail, Blue Screen & Underscan
Functions.
Horizontal & Vertical Image Flip:
(Daydream Monitor Only)
HD Component & SDI Connections.
Resolution: 800 x 480
Pixels: 1.2 million (RGB)
Brightness ( NIT = Candelas)
Daydream: 350 NIT
Sunshine Daydream: 600 NIT
Contrast Ratio: 400 to 1
Power Supply: 12V~30V regulated
Power Consumption: >1A
Usage Temp: -20C ~ 70C
Storage Temp: -30C ~ 80C
Humidity: 75% RH or less @ 60C
Dimensions: 7.5 x 5 x 3 inches
Weight: 2.6 lbs
NEBTEK DAYDREAM-HD and SUNSHINE
DAYDREAM-HD Camera Monitors.
They have been designed by the Film & Video Professionals at NEBTEK
with the needs of our customers in mind... Professional Composite, Svideo
and Component Connections, every major battery mounting option
available, 4 Display Modes, Underscan, Bluescreen, and a Detail function
(to allow for those critical focus situations). All of our standard features
are present as well... Excellent Picture Quality, Wide Viewing Angles,
High Brightness (600 NIT Sunshine Daydream), Non-reflective/Anti-glare
Screens, and 10V to 30V power compatability. The Top, Bottom & Side
mounts allow for a wider range of mounting options. The multi-position
Professional Connector Box allows your cables to come straight off
the back (for Steadicam use), or be hidden behind the monitor (for On
Camera Use). It also offers a Vertical & Horizontal Image flip (Daydream
model only) making it an excellent choice for use with a Lens Adapter.

keep it moving Jay
05-16-2007, 09:31 PM
What does it take to get true color corrrection on an lcd monitor? And is SDI overkill say for 720p footage?

Tim Naylor
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
If you mean calibration: color bars and blue burst is the answer. There are several sites that'll walk you through proper calibration - it ain't rocket science, but essential. If your monitor can't quite calibrate properly, well - you get what you pay for. But check your connections too. If you really mean color correction my answer is three letters: CRT. CRT's show a greater contrast and color range than any LCD. Absolutely necessary for film out work or high con work. Whenever possible use a wave form/ vector scope as LCD's especially outside can be deceiving. Unfortunately, the world's going to the flat side, now for broadcast I use both. LCD's exagerrate any noise issues you have, especially worrisome with the HVX (criminally noisy) that often don't reveal themselves in CRT's. But CRT's give you the range. Most post houses have both in the CC room, so you can srtike a compromise. Love LCD's but there're a lot of issues that really blow.

Tim Naylor DP
www.timnaylor.com

Sherlock256
05-20-2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.nlesystems.com/_e/IKAN/product/V8000HD/Ikan_V_8000HD_8_quot_LCD_Monitor.htm

Anyone here do business with this site? Look at the price....

Ikan V-8000HD 8" LCD Monitor manufactured by IKAN $691.65

Gene Crucean
05-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm wondering too. Just checked resellerratings.com and they aren't on it. At least I couldn't find them.

But... they are on the ikancorp.com website as a reseller sooo.

smithy
06-04-2007, 02:46 AM
http://www.nlesystems.com/_e/IKAN/product/V8000HD/Ikan_V_8000HD_8_quot_LCD_Monitor.htm

Anyone here do business with this site? Look at the price....

Ikan V-8000HD 8" LCD Monitor manufactured by IKAN $691.65

I think they are keeping the the xtra goodies that come with the monitor..Ie camera shoe adaptor, 12 v adaptor and remote control. You don't see it mentioned anywhere in their ad.

Sherlock256
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm in the market for a high definition on camera monitor. Ive recently acquired an M2 and absolutely love what it has done to the look of the footage. The issue now is focus. I find it impossible to achieve with my Ikan V 7000 that I purchased with my Glidecam V16. Its very light weight (a plus) but the image quality is poor focus almost impossible. The V7000 was not purchased with the intent to accomplish critical focus. The monitor serves its main function well - framing while using the V16.

The IKAN 8000 HD seemed like the obvious choice. Over the course of the past few weeks I have considered the opinions of many of the experienced users here. The battle of opinions seems to focus (punned intended) on cost vs. quality of build vs. features. There are so many opinions and so much to consider. Ive noticed that everything written is dependent on the needs of the user.

I have to choose quality over price. Professional options, durability, quality of build, and many other factors are the main reasons I feel that I should wait for the Panasonic, Marshall and Nebtek monitors to be released. The Panasonic, Marshall and Nebtek monitors cost more certainly, but I rather wait and spend my hard earned money right. A June or July release is not that far away and it gives me time to save a few more of those precious dollars. Im inclined to go Panasonic based on the red focus option alone.

I place more weight on the opinion of many of you that back up their opinions with stills and video clips of your work. There are so many of you out there that have unwittingly been responsible for my move from DVX to HVX to M2, etc

The insight, knowledge and inspiration I have been so fortunate to acquire here is invaluable.

Thanks to all of you.

wgzn
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
i just got my brevis 35mm adapter a few days ago and will be posting pics from my ikan within a few days...

hawaj
06-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Have you seen this garage DIY focus monitor with real HD 720p (not poor 480p!) from Bruce Allen?!?
Panel size is 10.6", 1280x768.

http://www.boacinema.com/projects/lcd_monitor/
http://www.boacinema.com/projects/lcd_monitor/faq.htm

"Bare panel and controller is $450 right now plus shipping. No long-term warranty. No guarantee it won't catch on fire. It's a hobbyist project.

Current case is coming and will be very nice but unfortunately very expensive. Am working on a cheaper case alternative. But until then, the final price for the finished package might be around $750 or so (with AC adapter, hot-shoe mount adapter, threads for Noga arm, etc), plus shipping. Hopefully less but I don't want to promise anything.

Again, this is a hobbyist project."

DarkMatter
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Scary!

smithy
06-10-2007, 03:59 AM
NO warranty and a chance to catch on fire. What that that tell you. RUN FORREST RUN.....

Spartacus
06-10-2007, 05:03 AM
DIY rules!
If he puts some more work in it, this could become a standard tool like the vidleds...

hawaj
06-10-2007, 03:44 PM
NO warranty and a chance to catch on fire. What that that tell you. RUN FORREST RUN.....

yea, decision is on you :smile:

but mostly everything started like DIY stuff from scratch even your mouse and computer were at first boxed in flameable wood :violent5:
http://www.granneman.com/images/first_mouse_underneath_enge.jpg http://www.pindelski.org/Blog/Apple1.jpg

bruceallen
06-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Haha, I am just being honest because I hate marketing hype. I really don't think it has a chance of catching on fire. That is just my "if you plug it into the wrong AC adapter and it emits a spark or something that sets fire to your set or house" DO NOT SUE ME clause. And where did you get "NO" warranty from?!

Here's the quote:
"It'll have a 90 day or less warranty. I also can't guarantee that it won't explode and set fire to your set (although I am checking for this by leaving it on for long times and doing various scary things to it)."

I've already sold panels to people. I told them that if they didn't like it, they could have their money back and I would pay for shipping both ways. This policy may change with future customers but so far it works. I haven't had any returns, in fact one guy who ordered one liked it so much he immediately ordered another one.

Again, I am just being honest, not trying to pull some kind of scam. If you want someone that promises the moon, look for a company that actually has a marketing department ;)

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Spartacus
06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey Bruce,
how far is this from being a "professional product", I know you call it a hobbyist project, but you also state you got some great response and obviously you are going to sell it to people right;o)?
Im just worried about everday use and abuse in the field...
Also, how come you just come up with a solution that offers true 720p (well with some distortion...) and all the "big ones" still seem to offer low quality at a high price (excluding Marshall which most agree on as the only alternative sub 2K to the highend LCDs...) - I wont accept "genius" as an answer here ;o)...
And do you have an electrical engenering background? (Or is it genius after all;o) )
Anyway, keep up the good work!

mcgeedigital
06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Pretty cool Bruce, I look forward to your developments with this new LCD!

Jeff Anderson
06-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah I'm interested in this - can you provide more pics of the case and connections and how the battery adapter attaches? I'd like to see the two different styles of cases. Nice work though, just may have to get one of these...

bruceallen
06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey Bruce,
how far is this from being a "professional product", I know you call it a hobbyist project, but you also state you got some great response and obviously you are going to sell it to people right;o)?

I am a film professional working in Los Angeles. I designed this primarily for myself, so yes, it is for professional use ;) But I am not hugely interested in starting a business with this. I make a decent day rate doing what I do and I'd have to sell 1000+ panels a year to match that. Too much stress for too little return. Similarly, I don't want to get into huge liabilities with 3 year warranties, insurance, etc. Again, that takes the fun out of it for me.

I just thought I'd sell a bunch to other people because I put multiple 100s of hours into this project and also because certain things such as manufacturing runs go in orders of 10 or so. I know, I should have just gone and bought a Marshall, but it is too low-res, damn it!

Im just worried about everday use and abuse in the field...

Me too. The case will be made out of either steel or aluminum. I don't want to be laughed at on set and I don't want it to fall apart either ;)

Also, how come you just come up with a solution that offers true 720p (well with some distortion...) and all the "big ones" still seem to offer low quality at a high price (excluding Marshall which most agree on as the only alternative sub 2K to the highend LCDs...)
- I wont accept "genius" as an answer here ;o)...

Quick note: Marshall does not offer true 720p in a small form factor as far as I know. They count R, G, B as separate "pixels" with their "megapixel" monitors.

As to how I do a cheap 720p monitor: most monitor manufacturers spend vast amounts of money on a custom-programmed controller chip & circuit board for the panel. Problem is, then they don't have much money left to spend on getting a nice panel.

On the other hand, I use an existing controller chip & circuit board that is designed for HDTVs but coincidentally also drives the particular panel I have found. This is not easy to find - there are lots of complicated things related to timings, etc. If the controller board isn't perfectly matched, your picture will be offset, certain resolutions will not work, etc. But my setup works 100% - with HDMI, HD 1080i, 720p, NTSC, PAL etc. The controller I am using also has some fancy features such as aperture control, etc. I even discovered that is has R,G,B balance available via a factory menu.

Now, since I don't have to spend a ton of money developing a controller chip and circuit board, it means I have MUCH more money left over for the panel itself, so I can get a top-end panel.

Personally I think this is a much better way to do things.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

bruceallen
06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah I'm interested in this - can you provide more pics of the case and connections and how the battery adapter attaches? I'd like to see the two different styles of cases. Nice work though, just may have to get one of these...

Thank you!

The case will have multiple 1/4"-20 mount points. I have a Noga arm and will make sure it works with such. I will also include a camera hot-shoe mount with the monitor, so you can stick it on top of your camera that way.

Battery is anything that can provide 12V DC +-0.5, approx 1500ma (maybe less?). I am currenly using a Tekkeon MyPower 3400 battery for testing (it can power many things including laptops, cellphones, as well as cameras), have not succeeded in running the monitor down in a single sitting yet. It lasts for hours.

One thing I didn't like about existing designs is that having the battery on the back of the monitor contributes to the overall weight and makes the whole camera top-heavy. I would rather keep the battery separate from the monitor so that you can mount the battery somewhere lower down and have a lightweight monitor on your monitor arm. But I will try to have screws, etc as an option in case you do want to mount a battery adapter to the back of the monitor.

I want to also make it an option to allow you to use Panasonic, Sony, etc. batteries. Problem is, the battery adapters (Nebtek, etc) cost $100 - for the same price you can buy yourself a pretty killer standalone battery pack. So it doesn't make much economic sense. Anyone want to point me towards a cheaper battery adapter?

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Jeff Anderson
06-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Bruce look at the adapter that vidled is using - I think he's only charging 40 or 50 for it. www.vidled.com

bruceallen
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Bruce look at the adapter that vidled is using - I think he's only charging 40 or 50 for it. www.vidled.com (http://www.vidled.com)

Thank you very much!

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

KyleProhaska
06-11-2007, 06:24 AM
I was looking at one of these things...the Ikan 8000. After looking at the specs and the price I opted for a JVC Production Monitor that had 750 Lines of Rez. HD monitor or not...800x480 is gonna look like crap. The JVC isn't as portable and its not HD but if you hook it up right I bet you'd get a much sharper picture to look at.

O...and its almost 200 bucks cheaper.

- Kyle

Erik Olson
06-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Anyone tried using a gold mount / Panasonic adapter (QR-DVX) with these monitors? The PowerTap should be easily modified to run any 12vDC monitors and might provide longer run times.

e

bruceallen
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Anyone tried using a gold mount / Panasonic adapter (QR-DVX) with these monitors? The PowerTap should be easily modified to run any 12vDC monitors and might provide longer run times.

e

Are you talking about the $180 adapter?

I am confused. Why would you want to buy this when you can get a fancy lithium-polymer-based battery-and-charger-combo such as the Tekkeon MP-3400 for about $130 (eg less than the price of the battery adapter alone) that gives you many, many hours' run time, shows power status, has selectable regulated voltage, can power many other devices, etc?

I am just curious because I am designing my monitor case and it seems lots of people seem to want to the battery adapter route. I would sincerely appreciate insights on this!

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Erik Olson
06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Bruce,

I'm not from the same camp as many of the other users here - we routinely mix up to 12 cameras on our shows and a good many of those are Varis or CineAltas fitted with Anton Bauer Gold Mounts.

Beyond the pure convenience of having the same batteries power all of our cameras, I'm looking for longer run-times. The Anton Bauer 14.4 Real Time battery system provides this in addition to giving the operator in the field a great deal more information on what's going on from a power management standpoint.

Also, AB Gold Mounts provide the inexpensive, industry-standard Power Tap for accessories. Why run multiple consumer batteries when I can run one larger, more accurate one?

That's my philosophy.

e

bruceallen
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Overlandfilms, thank you very much - that totally makes sense. I want to make my monitor work nicely with Anton Bauer, V-mount etc. Now it is just higher priority than before ;)

Any more requests, let me know.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Erik Olson
06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
The beauty of the PowerTap is that you don't really have to provide anything more than a short power cord from your board to the PowerTap plug. If you want to get really crazy, make it a really nice coiled one.

e

Erik Olson
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Am I the only one who cannot edit his posts after the server upgrade?

Anyway, because you're taking power from the camera, there's no need to provide a mount for the batts to your monitor back - though you could, I suppose.

e

bruceallen
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
The beauty of the PowerTap is that you don't really have to provide anything more than a short power cord from your board to the PowerTap plug. If you want to get really crazy, make it a really nice coiled one.

e

Yeah, the only problem is that Anton Bauer is 12-14.4V and my panel's specs are 12V +- 0.5 DC. I'd probably need a voltage regulator.

Once I can afford to, I'll might run 14.4 through it and see what happens though ;)

I agree, the battery shouldn't ideally be attached to the monitor, though. It adds too much weight! I have played with the Marshall and hate how top-heavy that setup makes your camera.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Justyn
06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
any news on the nebtek coming out yet?

Rob DuBree
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Justyn,

Chuck made me aware of this post so I thought I would answer your question directly... All the parts will be in by the last week of June, and NEBTEK will be in full production the entire month of July. We will be taking orders by the 3rd week of July, because we want to have quantities available for our customers without long lead times. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly.

I'm always willing to help,
Rob DuBree
GM/NEBTEK
:thumbsup:

888-648-8324 Toll Free

jhonnywa
04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
hi guys,
i feel the same way as tomk358
i buy an Ikan v8000HD , by my side the image quality it's good enough for focusing and framing!!! but big trouble, the aspect ratio is'nt good!!! big deception, i talk to the support guy at Ikan they said we are sorry it's a trouble please send it back to us and we will repair or exchange... 2 week later i receive it today, image seem good... test the aspect ratio... amazing same trouble, i put an cd front to the camera and look at the 2 screen (panasonic hvx200built in screen and the ikanv8000hd) it's squeez!!!!!!! enven in 16/9 and 4/3
it'seem that the monitor is fix in pal or really wrong programing...

i just write them this trouble again and i'm waiting for a good reply!!!!

i was buying the delux kit with hard case, sunshade... for around 1000$
if they can give it wright i will check on marshal or nebtek !!!!