PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party P2 cards from Hoodman...

Whatever
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
These caught my eye at the Hoodman booth, and made me do a double take.
At first, I was just passing by their booth, and then I was like, "Did I just see that?".

Dude at the booth said 16s by end of June/July and 32s by end of summer.

I'm really surprised no one has posted this yet:

https://nab2007.bdmetrics.com/portal/ViewCompany.aspx?id=3052837

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91386

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... red looks kinda' spiffy.

Whatever

OldCorpse
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
That's great, 3rd party P2's are definitely needed, as Panny is ripping off the consumers, IMHO, and nothing fixes that, like competition... so, the more the merrier, I say.

Still, the other link said their pricing will be 30% lower than Panny's. But that was before we heard about Panny lowering their prices, so the 30% refers to the old prices (shrug), or new prices (interesting)?

I'm assuming their P2's will work at least as well as Panny's, otherwise it's all kinda pointless. With that said two questions remain: when will they be available, and at what price. Without an answer to those two it'll be hard to react to this very strongly.

Intersting nonetheless, and thanks for the find!

Jason Ramsey
04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm really surprised no one has posted this yet:

It has been posted already. More than once :thumbsup:

I'm interested to see how they shake out. It's good to see some 3rd party options starting to come out, but it is my understanding that it will basically be just one cf card in the housing. Meaning not raided like P2 Cards, meaning editing from the cards may not be so hot. Transfer's too? I don't know.

If they are reliable, and affordable, then they could certainly find their way into my toolset as backups, at the very least.

Jason

Barry_Green
04-18-2007, 10:43 PM
If this comes to fruition and works reliably, this is about the best thing that can happen for HVX users. Having multiple manufacturers means more product to choose from, more competition, better pricing, etc. Good luck to Hoodman, let's hope they succeed with a great product!

bikefilms
04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd support them. I need an 8 Gig anyway.

Looks good so far!

-andrew

shaocaholica
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
So the Pana P2s have 4 SD cards in them. Is any data stored redundantly for security? The linked thread says that the Hoodman cards will have only one flash device inside instead of Panas 4. That doesn't really mean much to me unless the Pana cards offered redundant security.

THoff
04-19-2007, 03:43 PM
The current Panasonic P2 cards use a RAID0 configuration for speed and in order to achieve the total capacity they offer. But due to advances in flash memory technology, it is now possible to build cards with adequate performance and equal or greater capacity without using RAID0, and apparently this is what Hoodman is doing.

David Saraceno
04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Barry was concerned in another post about whether you can edit directly from the H2 cards or not because they are one card only, not RAIDed.

However, if the H2 cards are speedier than the current 8Gb technology, may this won't be an issue.

shaocaholica
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Perhaps Pana might go to a single device solution to compete. As long as P2 is only used for HDPRO, you have a single bandwidth goal to worry about.

Barry_Green
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey, if it's fast enough, that's a bonus. I'm just saying that if it's a single-chip solution, it most likely won't be nearly as fast as a Panasonic card. But for many people that may not be an issue. And, until we see what they've got, that's just speculation -- maybe they will be as fast somehow?

I think I read where they said they'd be out in June/July?

Tom Marshall
04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Aren't Panny's P2 cards RAID 0? If that were the case, the only issue would be the speed throughput. Data integrity isn't the goal of RAID 0. Just curious...