PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with transparency

DVX100Shooter
04-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I got an image that I cut the background from the foreground. Now I need to import the foreground image in FCP and replace with a new background. I set up my Photoshop project to work in a Transparency background. After the initial set up, I had a workspace that was transparent (small grey and white boxes) then I clicked OPEN and located the image on my hard drive. That image opened in another window (workspace). I cut the background out of the image. Then attempted to export the image to be used in Final Cut Pro. When I imported in FCP the image had a white background that I could not get rid of. So how do I go about keeping it transparent so ONLY the foreground image shows up in FCP? I was trying to figure out if there was a way that I should have been working in the workspace that was meant for transparent work but every time I tried to import my image it opened in a new work space window.

Thanks!

milksac
04-19-2007, 06:11 AM
A couple of thoughts.
Save the file as ping and try importing into FCP, I think this should work.

You don't mention anything about an alpha channel. Control click on the layer with the cutout this should create a selection of your cutout. Click on the channels tab and click on the little icon at the bottom (create new channel). Fill the selection with white. You now have an alpha channel for your cutout. From here you can save the file as Photoshop or Targa and try importing into FCP.

I think FCP brings PSD files in with seperate layers. Which adds an additional step after importing, I believe you have to create a subclip.

"...every time I tried to import my image it opened in a new work space window." -dvx100shooter

Yes, create a subclip of this new workspace window and you should be able to drop the subclip into any timeline.

I don't like the way FCP handles Photoshop files. Avid gives the editor the option of choosing all layers or merging the layers. But that's an entirely different and overdone thread. I prefer to use flat files like PNG and Targa (PNGs don't need an alpha, TGA's need an alpha and should be saved as 32 bit). I keep the original PSD for revisions but save out a flat format for import into NLE's.

Sooner or late Matt will chime in and offer a super easy one click solution.

DVX100Shooter
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually a friend told me to try something and it worked. I made my background Chroma Key Green in Photoshop. I used the Magnetic Lasso tool to remove the background saved the image as a jpeg file. I then imported it into FCP then went into Effects>Video Filters>Key>Blue and Green Screen. After adding that to the clip and making the adjustments, I was able to remove the green background and the final result is exactly how I envisioned it! I never thought to do it that way!!!

Matt Grunau
04-19-2007, 09:28 PM
There isn't a one click solution ( although I had one once using an Action).

You shouldn't have to key footage from Photoshop into anything, especially FCP.

If you have extracted your element from the background, discard the background entirely, leaving only the seperated portion you want. Save as a .psd. This alone should work. If you are still getting trouble, FCP may be seeing your Photoshop document as a whole and not allowing you to choose individual Layers, namely, the one you wish isolated. Here is a workaround:

Extract your foreground element. Use whatever method to do so you like. Once it is extracted (if you used layer masks, you will have to apply them by dragging them to the trash and hit "Apply" when the window pops up to ask you to cancel, discard or apply) and you are left with a screen that may look like this, if your foreground elements is a hastily created blob.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6995/1177041877.jpg

There is NO background layer.

CTRL+click directly on the thumbnail of that layer, once it has been selected, and you will get a selection of the contents of that layer, and yes this works perfectly well for feathering out the arse.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6995/1177041928.jpg

While that selection is still going, go to your Channels pallet which should be under your Layers pallet:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6995/1177042287.jpg

With the Channels pallet selected, unless you did something odd, your selection of your foreground element should still be in place.

Simply click on the "Save Selection as Channel" indicated by Arrow 1, and you should see a new Layer appear as indicated by Arrow 2.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6995/1177042885.jpg

You now have an alpha channel in your document, completely designed by the selections you have made. If you cant get .psd's to work in FCP, save this image as a 32 bit (and it HAS to be a 32 bit since there is an alpha channel) .tga file and you should be good to go in any NLE.

If that doesnt work, I shall shake a stick at you and call you silly names.

Hope that helps.

Matt.

EDit:

A couple of thoughts.
Save the file as ping and try importing into FCP, I think this should work.

You don't mention anything about an alpha channel. Control click on the layer with the cutout this should create a selection of your cutout. Click on the channels tab and click on the little icon at the bottom (create new channel). Fill the selection with white. You now have an alpha channel for your cutout. From here you can save the file as Photoshop or Targa and try importing into FCP.

I think FCP brings PSD files in with seperate layers. Which adds an additional step after importing, I believe you have to create a subclip.

EDIT: Damnit, I didn't fully read your post. And here I spent 20 mins when I should have been watching Tudors. :thumbsup:

Edit Edit: Actually, I once had Photoshop set up with an action triggered by F12 that took the selection and automatically made the Alpha channel. Damn me if I can find it now though. But that is most helpful. If any of you can devise such a trick, I will NOT shake a stick and call silly names.

milksac
04-20-2007, 05:28 AM
I made my background Chroma Key Green in Photoshop. I used the Magnetic Lasso tool to remove the background saved the image as a jpeg file. I then imported it into FCP then went into Effects>Video Filters>Key>Blue and Green Screen.
I'm glad you found a workaround. However, it's a less than ideal solution. JPEG is a lossy format, you're degrading the image saving to JPEG. Having to key the image in FCP adds an unnecessary step. If you're object has feathered edges it'll be a mess when you try to key it.

If you can find some time to explore and learn about alpha channels it will be time well spent.

Matt Grunau
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey milksac, after looking around, there IS in fact a one click solution.

In your Actions pallet, go to Load Actions, and go to Video Actions. When that is loaded, the very first one is "Alpha Channel from Visible Layers". Just play the action!

Works like a charm.

milksac
04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Good tip.
Thanks Matt.

If you had though of that yesterday you would have saved yourself 20 minutes. :)

Matt Grunau
04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Good tip.
Thanks Matt.

If you had though of that yesterday you would have saved yourself 20 minutes. :)

Yeah I know. I don't use actions that much, so I had never explored them. It was only I made my own alpha channel action and binded it to f12 that I noticed the ones that could be loaded. oh well.

DVX100Shooter
04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some of those tips this weekend. The final image that I used in my project turned out not bad in my opinion. I should have used the magnetic lasso tool to get as close to the image as possible (when removing the background) on one of the images but other than that when I keyed them in FCP it turned out not bad. I will try to post a screen grab or something to show you what I mean.