PDA

View Full Version : Animating a map - Indiana Jones style

hua02
03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm working on a documentary and I am wanting to animate one of those Indiana Jones style maps where a red line goes from point a to point b. Does anyone know the easiest way to acheive such an effect? Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

Matt Grunau
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
The easiest way to do that would be to use the Write On effect in After effects. You would need to have your Photoshop file in layers, and could use the pen tool to draw a path which would represent where the line would go. That path would then be copied from Photoshop and pasted into the position of Write On, and the effect could be on its own layer in AE to allow blending modes to be used as well.

If you had existing lines you wished to animate inside Photoshop, you could use a mask in a compositor like AE to reveal the line layer over time.

The effect could look something like this:

http://www.paramm.com/map.mov

610k very hastily worked. ;)

Is that the kind of thing you are meaning?

hua02
03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about. What If I don't have AE? Can I do anything to get the same results in Apple's Motion?

Matt Grunau
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I looked into Motion, and it says you can create masks, so the answer should be yes. If you can animate a mask, you can get that effect. From what I read at apple's site, you can probably animate a line inside Motion itself. Then all you would need to do is have a large map and have it scroll in your timeline. Keyframing it's position and then animating a line on top should be easy. Or, you would create a project to the size of the map, something huge, animate a line on it or use masks to reveal what you have drawn in Photoshop and then either nest that project (if you can nest in Motion) or export it at full frame as a Quicktime with the Animation codec, then import it into a standard size frame, keyframing the file's position to follow along your animation.