PDA

View Full Version : Cams

srproductions
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey All!

I have been renting a camera (DVX100A) for a while now. I really would like to step up to the plate and buy one. Fact is, (sadly) I cannot afford the DVX. Stu mentions that he purchased the VX1000. Is it still a good camera (comparing)? Would it be as good or almost as good as the DVX? And what about the PD150? Thanks guys!

srproductions
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
OK. I just checked some pricing on eBay. Here's what I have. (Note, these are just the average prices)

Sony DCR-VX1000 - $1100

Panasonic DVX100 - $2100

Sony PD150 - $1150

So, with this in mind, should I just go ahead and save for the DVX100? Is it worth it?

srproductions
03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Bump

Huy Vu
03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Note that most of the eBay pricing are for gray market cameras that may not come with warranties. Many of the dealers on there will also try to sell you extra accessories when they make you call to "confirm" your order. Use B&H as a general benchmark for what you expect to pay.

About your original questions, the DVX is undisputedly the best of the bunch for filmmaking, mainly because of its 24p recording ability and it's extensive in-camera image control options.

The VX1000 and PD150 are relatively old cameras but those two are real workhorse and a favorite of videographers. Both offer excellent low light capability that rival or surpasses the DVX. The disadvantage is that neither shoots progressive and it's not possible to tweak the image in-camera; the VX1000 in particular lacks XLR input.

Bottom line: what are you using the camera for? For events shooting a PD150 would work fine; for film I would recommend saving for the DVX. But be aware what the actual pricing of these cams are and don't get scammed.