PDA

View Full Version : Story Tailors and Mike Drob present: "Komitet" (the committe)

FiddlerMD
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
A debut Story Tailors / Mike Drob production:

Komitet
------

KGB - Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti (Committee for State Security)

------

Still in the early writing stages, but have a working idea and some locations. This will be my first short film of this kind so go easy on me ;)

Will update the thread as more of it is completed.
Incidentally, if any of you in NY/NJ would like to join or know people who would like to join and especially ACT, please contact me. Will feed all crew! :)

======== UPDATE 03/19/2007 =========
writing a screenplay is tough.. reworking ;)

======== UPDATE 04/01/2007 =========
The story turned out to be something that needs at least 20 minutes runtime :)
My screenplay writer and I have rewritten it some more. fitting something interesting into 6 mins is tough (for first-time writers of this kinda thing)
--- stay tuned

======== UPDATE 04/04/2007 ==========
The rough screenplay is finished. Now just a matter of location scouting and polishing.
Also
** BIG NEWS **
the stars have been selected. For added authenticity, all are Russian :)

Robert

http://www.story-tailors.com/komitet/oleg.jpg
Oleg Korenfeld
----------------------

Lina

http://www.story-tailors.com/komitet/vika.jpg
Victoria Reznik
-----------------------

Nikolai

http://www.story-tailors.com/komitet/arkasha.jpg
Arkady Goldinstein

Dahopafilms
03-15-2007, 12:36 PM
... This will be my first short film of this kind so go easy on me ;) ...
Based upon the awesome graphic in your signature, going easy on you may not be necessary.

Cheers!:beer:

ripupthehwy
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Very Nice! I love the colors and overall poster look.

FiddlerMD
03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
well that takes care of photoshop .. now to master this whole "filmmaking" thing ;)

Jay Rodriguez
03-15-2007, 01:22 PM
what part of NJ are you in?

FiddlerMD
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Central - Scotch Plains. I'm in Jersey City a lot also.

Jay Rodriguez
03-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Central - Scotch Plains. I'm in Jersey City a lot also.

Really? lol, I work in Jersey City.

Ki-Ki
03-16-2007, 07:58 AM
All the best

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-16-2007, 08:06 AM
KGB! Sounds very intriguing... good luck!
Look forward to seeing it.

Mike

FiddlerMD
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Really? lol, I work in Jersey City.
too bad you're also entering - could've collaborated ;)
maybe next time - btw.. know any local sources for actors?

cinealma
03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Good stuff! Don't sweat the "first film" stuff. Just commit and go out and do it. And DEFINITELY have fun doing it!

I don't think there is a rule against people collaborating on each other's films. You should hit some people up in your neck of the woods.

FutureDVXUser
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I live right by Jersey City... I'll PM ya Fiddler...

Mark T. Aro
03-17-2007, 12:54 AM
too bad you're also entering - could've collaborated ;)
maybe next time - btw.. know any local sources for actors?

hey man, did you catch the thread earlier with the NY actor looking for a role? I think that I saw it earlier today.

Nice graphics!

FiddlerMD
03-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Yep, i saw and replied to him. Also craigslist is being fairly decent at returning some actors here and there.

FiddlerMD
03-19-2007, 07:50 PM
updated...

dougspice
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you do. If you need a bit of help finding actors and crew, my good buddy Adam does that now for a company out of Staten Island, I believe. I'm sure he'd be happy to help out... I think he's been looking for an interesting project to work on that's not corporate.

FiddlerMD
03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
absolutely! actors and i wouldnt mind a DP .. i've been dp'ing my own work but i'm not up to the level yet where i can get on screen what i see in my mind .. getting there ;)

FiddlerMD
04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
updated

Keystoned
04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow. Nice graphic - I have to get to work catching up in that department.
It's always cool to see somebody's first film. Looking forward to it.
:thumbsup:

Manuu
04-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey, seems things are going good! I'm so happy that I can work with you guys on that film... I love stories about KGB etc.

FiddlerMD
04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
can't wait to hear what you come up with!
for those who don't know, Manuu signed up to do the music for our little flick. I have a feeling it'll be the most professional thing in the whole movie ;)

FiddlerMD
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Updated - stars have been chosen :)

FiddlerMD
04-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Even though everything is going well, i do have one dillema. The plot of my screenplay is way too complex for a 6 minute film.
What i'm wondering is as far as past fests and judging goes, is it ok to make the plot one of the ones where "you have to read the book" ? :)
what i mean is taht given more time, i could really develop the characters more and explain the backstory but in the limited span given, i'll only be able to sorta do a "day in the life of" kind of thing. I am trying to paint as full a picture as possible here but I have a feeling some people may miss the undertones and such.
What do you guys and gals think? Leave it as is and leave the audience wanting to see more to explain it better, or rework it into something simple. I'm leaning towards the former, but am curious what the judging public thinks :)
Thanks!

Manuu
04-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Hey Mike,

Well I guess thats part of the challange. Putting a story into 6 minutes. Obviously I would also like to have the longer and more "detailed" version.
What's about making a 6 minute long "a day in the life of" and then continuing the story outside of the Spyfest? What I can do is I can offer you to score the "sequel" as well if your satisfied with my work on the "first part".

FiddlerMD
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
that'd be cool ... if there's demand for it, i wouldn't be against it

dougspice
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it's challenging. I think it's fine to prepare an alternate version and a "director's cut." In fact, that's my plan on my film as well. I have a 9-minute and a 6-minute version planned, which I figure is not bad since the whole story is really intended to be 12 hours long overall!

I don't view these fests as a driving force to make the world's most perfect 6-minute film. I see them as a way to set a deadline and get you motivated making whatever your film may be. If you can plan out a way (hopefully in pre-pro!) to do a shorter version, so much the better... but if not, hey, you've still made a movie at the end of the day.

Manuu
04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Well I look upon it as a challenge to put a good story into 6 minutes of film which is not that easy as you can see ;o) I think it's the same as in school when I had to write a story about a specific subject with the limitation of one page...

FiddlerMD
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
well i guess we'll see what happens.. i have 3 other projects that i need to finish by the time the fest ends so this'll be much more challenging since every weekend i'm shooting some clients :) fun tho!

i hope i can give you all something worthwhile :)

Manuu
04-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Hey man, no worries! I'm sure Komitet will be a good film! And as I said, if there's anything more to tell about the story you can make a sequel.
I'm definitely looking forward to get something to score from you ;o)

FiddlerMD
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
UPDATE: I regret to inform everyone that I'll be dropping out of this competition. There were some scheduling issues and I simply won't have the time to finish this on time :(
It really sucks, but I hope to be full in on the next fest.
Good luck to the rest of you!

Keystoned
05-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Good luck on future stuff. :beer:

Matt Harris
05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
youre dropping out? i feel you, the deadline is tough. i liked your banner ad, good luck.

FiddlerMD
05-12-2007, 11:57 PM
thanks for the support guys - i'll try to not disappoint at the next fest :)

AmyO
05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear you won't be submitting a film. Good luck on your other projects. :)

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Bummer! I am sorry to hear the news.

You should try and piece something together for the fest... even if it doesn't tell you story that you wanted, it is a great experience to participate and get feedback on your stuff. There is always something that you can learn from the feedback.

I hope that you can submit something!

Good luck to you.

-Ted