KEITH FLANAGAN...................... "The Gardner"

CREW

J. ANTHONY GONZALES............ Writer/Director/Editor/Etc

J. ANTHONY GONZALES
KATHY GONZALES
SAM P. WHITEHEAD.................. Producers

MATT GARRETT (matty_g)......... Camera

Music by TORRO LOCO ORCHESTRA

Special thanks to Mike Halper (flmmkr) for the loan of the Fig Rig.

cinealma
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
(Production notes coming soon)

cinealma
03-14-2007, 08:39 PM
(bts Coming Soon)

Matty_g
03-14-2007, 11:42 PM
i really like this poster.
can't wait to see something else.

jeremytuttle
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Ha ha, I love the poster.

Good luck with two entries.

Robert Sanders
03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I like the poster design a lot. I also really like the title. Can't wait for this one.

Dahopafilms
03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
There's something about that poster that is absolutely haunting. Beautiful.

ripupthehwy
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
nice poster. will this be in spanish and subtitled?

RebeccaD
03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Looks good! I really dig the poster design.

Tom Marshall
03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey John, very cool poster man... I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm a big fan of your Horrorfest entry! :beer:

cinealma
03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys for the support. I appreciate it.

nice poster. will this be in spanish and subtitled?
Yes, this will be in Spanish.

Subtitles? We don't need no stinkin' subtitles! :laugh:

cinealma
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Major Announcement Coming
at 1:00 PT.

GO HERE:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=91072

Larry Rutledge
04-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, this will be in Spanish.

Subtitles? We don't need no stinkin' subtitles! :laugh:

On the contrary, according to the official rules (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=881852&postcount=1):

... Contest open to every country and films may be in any language. Non-English films must have English subtitles. ...

Charli
04-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Quiero saber porque no ay mas peliculas en Espanol? (not sure if I got that right?)
I suck at your spy game, but I hope I enjoy your film.

cinealma
04-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Larry:

Yes, I know. I was just being silly. :)

Quiero saber porque no ay mas peliculas en Espanol?
You want to know why there are not more films in Spanish?

I suck at your spy game...
Hang in there, Charli. You don't suck. It's just not going to be easy. :beer:

Larry Rutledge
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I was just being silly
I thought you might be "being silly", but wanted to clarify in case others stumbled in and thought they could forego subtitles. :)

It's just not going to be easy. Not only is it not going to be easy, it isn't easy :eek:

cinealma
04-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Update 04.07.07

Just a quick update... nothing much to update. I'll be shooting over a weekend, not sure which one yet. Script is finished. Will be securing a location and casting in the upcoming weeks here. Definitely a May project.

tmnt
04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Good luck with this mate - poster looks brilliant.

Ian

gabrielflorit
04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Love the poster, despite the typo on the top: "Presente" is probably not what you meant to type... I'm assuming either "Presents", in english, or "Presenta", in spanish.

cinealma
04-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Love the poster, despite the typo on the top: "Presente" is probably not what you meant to type... I'm assuming either "Presents", in english, or "Presenta", in spanish.
No, that's Cine Alma Pictures Presente, as in, Cine Alma Pictures "Present", or, Cine Alma Pictures is "in the house"! :)

Yes, I know. Sometimes I type before I think. I realized this after I uploaded it and I've just been too lazy to fix it.

Actually, I just love to make people cringe who actually know Spanish. :thumbsup:

dougspice
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Nice poster! I'm excited to see another Spanish language film!

cinealma
04-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Muy cool!

I really have to get stuff up in this thread, I tell ya! Soon, real soon, I promise.

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I just finally saw this thread ... that poster is by far the most unique of any that I've seen in here so far .... very, VERY cool indeed!

I'm hoping this has one of those EL MARIACHI vibes to it, etc. Looking forward to this one, friend!

cinealma
04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I just finally saw this thread ... that poster is by far the most unique of any that I've seen in here so far .... very, VERY cool indeed!

I'm hoping this has one of those EL MARIACHI vibes to it, etc. Looking forward to this one, friend!

Norm, thanks for the support. I'm not sure El Mariachi would be a close comparison. Hmm. More like El Mariachi on LSD. :)

cinealma
04-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Odelay!

RebeccaD
04-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Muy bien! Me gusta los cines in Espanol mucho. That's about all I got, but I am interested in seeing your film! I love the poster too, by the way.

Sid Barnhoorn
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Cool poster, mate!

cinealma
04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, I've nailed down my shooting days... freakin' weekend of May 18th. Not much I can do about it. Logistically, this is when I'll have my lead actor and a camera at the same time. This happened the last time with CFWB:N9 during HorrorFest, not much time for post, but now I've got some experience in this department.

I'm going to have to storyboard the sh*t out of this puppy, that's for sure. I'm going to do my best to have everything I need, sound and otherwise, because if I don't, I'm going to be toast!

This weekend I'm finally going to have my schedule clear, so I'll get my green screen built and be able to do some tests. I'm also going to work on some composite shots for location stuff. I'll post some grabs of my weekend adventures.

Adios!

cinealma
05-06-2007, 01:06 PM
UPDATE:

Well, it looks like El Principiante is El Dead-o, in it's original conception. In the end I was facing just too many "maybe's" to feel really comfortable with shooting this thing. HOWEVER, I have the actors, equipment and such already in hand, so I'm going to take this project off into a different direction. I'm keeping the title, "The Beginner", but it's just not going to be in Spanish. More updates soon...

BTW - I really admire guys like Mr. Sconce and Mr. Aro, who have there sh*t together. I've REALLY gotta get some friends who are into MAKING FILMS! :beer:

cinealma
05-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Casting has been completed. Hooray! This weekend I am working on shot lists and some storyboarding. We are aiming for a one-day shoot next Saturday with the possibility of a pick-up evening or two the following week. It's going to be T-I-G-H-T I tell ya!

Also working on modifying the original poster from the espanol.

I wish I could have had more for this thread, but it was just one of those things. Just wait until the week after the shoot and I'll be blowing chunks all over this thread! :thumbup:

Elton
05-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Good luck on the production!

Charli
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
God, both you John and Elton are posting in the middle of the night. Does anyone sleep around here?

cinealma
05-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Sleep? What's that?

Elton, any ideas?

Ted Arabian
05-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey John, congrats on casting! Good luck shooting!!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!!!

-Ted

cinealma
05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey John, congrats on casting! Good luck shooting!!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!!!

-Ted

Thanks Ted, and ditto on yours!

cinealma
05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Gearing up for the shoot on Saturday. All the typical last minute stuff is going down and stressing me out a bit. But that's normal. I'll feel a whole lot better once we're on location and shooting, believe me.

Script is at a hefty 10 pages. A lot of meat there, hopefully I'll find the cuts in post.

I feel like the guy in Alice in Wonderland who's running around all over the place with the clocks.

Matt Sconce
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I hope it all goes excellently!!!

Matty_g
05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Looking forward to helping out.

cinealma
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I hope it all goes excellently!!!

Thank you sir! Me too.

cinealma
05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Looking forward to helping out.

Glad to have you on board! Should be a blast.

cinealma
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Anybody directing ever REALLY get a good night's sleep the night before the beginning of a shoot? That is, eight hours or more? Because I know I'm not sleeping tonight.

cinealma
05-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Welp, I'm loading up the van for the morning. Hopefully I can get a good four or five hours of sleep tonight. First call time is 8:00am. Actors are psyched and we're all chomping at the bit. Good night everyone.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Good luck!

Have a good one....

Mike

Elton
05-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Anybody directing ever REALLY get a good night's sleep the night before the beginning of a shoot? That is, eight hours or more? Because I know I'm not sleeping tonight.

No rest for the wicked, my friend. :Drogar-Evil(DBG): I couldn't sleep a wink the night before any shooting day.

Good luck. :)

cinealma
05-20-2007, 02:50 AM
And that's a wrap! A proverbial indie shoot with all the drama, laughs and disappointments. It's almost 3:00am and I'm dead tired. I'll post more about the shoot when I can feel my brain.

Thanks for all the support, friends.

And n o w s l ee pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

cinealma
05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
PRODUCTION DAY HIGHLIGHTS:

Just a quick rundown of the ups and downs of the day. You always read about indie shoots and things that can go wrong or the wonderful unplanned things. Here's a quick rundown:

1. We arrive at the location. I had secured it literally the day before we shot. I was welcomed by cheers and screams of a girls soccer tournament at the park next door. And not just a few little games, we're talking twenty, thirty fields set up. That pretty much went on all day and into the evening. Also, the local Strawberry Festival was going on this weekend, so lots of lovely traffic going by about 100 feet from the building we were shooting in. It's a 55mph highway, so trucks, motorcycles, etc. Oh, yeah, and they were watering the fields across the way, so the loud HUM of the giant water pumps added a nice TINGE to the air.

2. I forgot the bags of food. My actors arrived at 8:00am after driving up an hour from L.A. and I had nothing food-wise to offer. I did have the coffee, though. My wife came to the rescue about an hour later.

3. My lead actor helped me to cast the "older spy" guy. I hadn't found anyone yet and an actress he knew said her husband would be very interested. Fine, your in. Her husband was a theater guy, is currently directing a play at the playhouse they both belong too, etc. etc. REALITY CHECK: He's not the director, he's the STAGE MANAGER. He's never really acted much before. Etc. etc. Well, once we started reading lines, I knew this was going to be rough one.

4a. We used my friend's DVX to shoot with. The quick-release plate was a different size than the Manofrotto one on the Fig Rig we were using. So what do you do? Take the one off the camera and put on the one we need. Right? WRONG. The plate on the camera was GLUED/EPOXIED/WELDED to the bottom of the camera. "It came like that from the guy I bought it from"." Yes, the tripod was part of the package.

4b. Ok, let's take the quick-release mount off the tripod and use it on the Fig Rig. A quick run to Home Depot (a few blocks from the location) for a set of hex keys. Well, we took off the mount and SPROING! Springs shoot out everywhere. Luckily we found all the pieces. (At that time we HOPED we had found all the pieces.)

5. The climatic confrontation scene. "i want to rehearse it a few times." "John, we're losing light and we still have to shoot outside." "Just a couple of times." "John the light". "We'll make it. This scene HAS to play out right." Well, we rehearsed the scene, found out there were some things we needed to change so it worked. Ok, let's shoot the fucker. We start to shoot the first take of the scene, get to the peak of the scene, and BZZT. THE POWER WENT OUT. Did we blow a fuse? NO. A FUCKING POWER OUTAGE! As we all stood there in the dark, one of my friends had the balls to say out loud: "I guess we should've screwed the rehearsals." Classic. Everybody laughed. I cried.

6. After 20 takes of a guy getting shot coming out of a gardner's shed, the last one was awesome! Unfortunatley, he also crashed through the shed door and it took us sometime to figure out how to get it back on.

7. A cricket came to watch the action at about 3:00 and never quite left. Several serach parties returned empty handed.

Fun stuff, I tell ya! But really, we had a blast shooting it.

This is going to be a real challenge to put together seeing as we didn't get to shoot more than a couple key scenes as written. I might have to go in a totally different direction than planned. I have a lot of really good footage, so at least I'm not coming up shooting blanks.

I'll have some grabs and BTS pics up soon.

John G.

Matty_g
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
That was the glitchiest dvx i've ever seen john. I hope all the footage turned out alright.

cinealma
05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
That was the glitchiest dvx i've ever seen john. I hope all the footage turned out alright.

Don't worry Matt, I think it will be okay. If anything, the raw footage might be a tad dark in some shots. But that's WAY better than too light.

tmnt
05-21-2007, 09:47 AM
John G, you sure you really want to change the film name to english? The other one stood out, I liked it.

cinealma
05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
John G, you sure you really want to change the film name to english? The other one stood out, I liked it.

Yes, I know. But nobody speaks Spanish in it and I changed a lot of the story to move away from the original plan. Thanks for the props on the title. If I could keep it, I would. But it's just not going to fit the film anymore. Of course, I could dub it in Spanish. Hmm. :huh:

cinealma
05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I just finished watching all the footage from the shoot. There's some great stuff there. And there's some definite script holes for those things we didn't get to shoot because of the power outage. A challenge, but heck, I'm game.

The direction I'm going to take this film will be kind of fun and interesting at the same time. I won't reveal much, but I will say this:

... it's going to be kind of like Kurosawa meets Magnum P.I..

Elton
05-21-2007, 02:42 PM
... it's going to be kind of like Kurosawa meets Magnum P.I..

Now that is an original hybrid approach. Still tryin' to wrap my head around that, though.

Best of luck! :beer:

cinealma
05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
The deadline is looming, but editing is going surprisingly well. I hope to have a more than rough cut by Friday so I can start working on sound for the weekend.

Here's a few quick ok-res grabs:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1179971016.jpg
Completion code? What completion code?

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1179971040.jpg
Agent Zechariah Solak wants to know:
Where IS that fuckin' guy?

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1179971070.jpg
Agent Robert Mann, shoots and asks questions
at the SAME TIME!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1179971099.jpg
Agent Mark Tarkovsky's looking for answers.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1179971123.jpg
ACTION! ACTION! ACTION!

Cheers!

cinealma
05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Does anybody know how I can get the title of my thread changed? It's no longer a Spanish language film, so I'd like to change it from:

El Principiante (The Beginner) - A film by J. Anthony Gonzales

to:

The Beginner - A film by J. Anthony Gonzales

I sent a PM to the powers that be a week ago, but nothing yet.

Thanks.

AmyO
05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Go to your original post in this thread. Click on the Modify button (next to the Quote and Reply buttons at the bottom of your entry), then at the bottom of the edit window, you should see a button marked "Go Advanced". This will take you to a page where you can modify the title of the thread.

cinealma
05-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Amy:

I gave it a try and it updates the title of post #1 in the thread, but doesn't change it in the main forum area in the list of threads.

AmyO
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
May be a bit late to say this, but I'm seeing the thread title as "The Beginner" now. Don't know if that was because of what you did or not. Perhaps your browser was using a cached version of the page and therefore showing the old titile??? Anyway, looks like it's fixed now. :)

Ted Arabian
05-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey John....

GREAT GRABS! WOW! I love them. Great framing. I am very anxious to see this. I just loved what you did in "CFWBN9."

Only a mod can change the title of a thread... someone must have heard your plea! (probably mikko.... he did mine. He's like EVERYWHERE! :) I guess that's why they made him a mod! Great job, Mikko :thumbsup: )

Great job, John! :thumbsup:

-Ted

Ted Arabian
05-31-2007, 01:29 AM
OMG, John.... I JUST read your "production highlights!" WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

I mean, I know that every shoot has it's glitches but you seem to hit the jackpot!

And that story of the baseplate GLUED to the bottom of the dvx was just unbelievable!

Whew! I hope that you got everything shot that you needed.

btw... I can't sleep before a shoot! Way too excited! (or nervous!!!)

-Ted

cinealma
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
May be a bit late to say this, but I'm seeing the thread title as "The Beginner" now. Don't know if that was because of what you did or not. Perhaps your browser was using a cached version of the page and therefore showing the old titile??? Anyway, looks like it's fixed now. :)

I pm'd Larry and he was able to change it for me. I really appreciated it!

cinealma
05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
OMG, John.... I JUST read your "production highlights!" WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

I mean, I know that every shoot has it's glitches but you seem to hit the jackpot!

And that story of the baseplate GLUED to the bottom of the dvx was just unbelievable!

Whew! I hope that you got everything shot that you needed.

btw... I can't sleep before a shoot! Way too excited! (or nervous!!!)

-Ted
I have to say, though, that even with all the crap-ola, we had a blast shooting it. Watching the raw footage, there's some funny stuff going on, I tell ya.

On the night after the shoot, Paul (the lead actor) and I came back to my place and offloaded all the footage off his camera. (Side note: we actually shot some additional footage in my garage to make up for some of the stuff we didn't get). Anyway, it was after midnight and we both had had little sleep over the last 48 hours and at the stage where everything seemed funny. Not to give too much away, there's one scene in the film where we needed a blood spray effect so we rigged up one of those weed sprayer/hose combos (awesome effect for $20). Anyway, on one take, we had problems with clogging up the hose, so we used less sponge pieces AND thinned out the blood. Well, the money shot came and I swear the blood SPRAYED out like a fuckin' fire hose! And with the way we had the shot framed, I swear it looks more like somebody got harpooned instead of shot. Paul and I must have laughed for a good 15 minutes!

I just love making films, I have to say! And I hope one day I can actually do this for a living. :)

Thanks for the support, Ted.

Matt Sconce
05-31-2007, 02:52 PM
That is hilarious! Congrats!

cinealma
06-01-2007, 02:03 AM
AAAAAAaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now back to rendering.

I actually think I've got it this time. Crossing my fingers. My first go came out 25MB. My next one came out 128MB. So Hopefully this one will settle out at 50.

AmyO
06-01-2007, 02:11 AM
AAAAAAaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now back to rendering.

I actually think I've got it this time. Crossing my fingers. My first go came out 25MB. My next one came out 128MB. So Hopefully this one will settle out at 50.
Dude, that was so just the last five hours of my life! I think I made 12 copies of my film, finally got to 44mb and called it good.

Good luck on the rendering. You'll get there. :)

cinealma
06-01-2007, 02:33 AM
No doubt, Amy.

I just finished rendering and came out at 40MB. Looked great, EXCEPT I get pixelated splotches every second or two in the video. I'm going to try again and see what happens. I'm going to start the render and then I'm hitting the sack or I'll be hating it at work tomorrow. Hopefully Barry and Larry will take my upload in the morning.

Ted Arabian
06-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey John, did you get your film uploaded????

cinealma
06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Finally got the gosh darned thing uploaded. My main problem was that I was getting what I call "throbbing pixelations from hell." Basically, every second or so, I get a huge area of the frame all pixelated. I swear I was banging my head against the wall all night and day. FINALLY, I figured out what the damn thing was.

So i'm rendering out of Vegas to an .mp4 (I gave up on the whole h.264 QT stuff after about 2:00am). And here's a tip for everyone:

DON'T HAVE THE PREVIEW WINDOW OPEN IN VEGAS WHILE YOU ARE RENDERING!

I noticed that in the preview window, the frame counter would stutter every so often. And then the light bulb turned on. I closed the preview window and after rendering, my film was free of "pixelation sensation".

So now I'm going to go make myself a margarita and post some BTS shots, new poster, etc.

Congrats to all! Can't wait for the fest to start!

cinealma
06-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Ladies and gentelmen, here's the new poster for The Beginner:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180765607.jpg

I hope you guys and gals enjoy the film!

Matt Harris
06-02-2007, 01:12 AM
im 2 months late on this, but i just found this thread, your poster is totally retro 60's cool. i LOVE it.

arielman
06-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Now that is a CLASSIC poster , The 60's look .

You have me wondering is the short done in 60's style .

Enjoyed Cure for writers block . it was well done . Looking forward to this one .

Ian

cinealma
06-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks Matt and Ian.

I was going for the retro 60's look with the poster. I really like the film posters from that era.

This film is kind of a mish-mash of stuff. Definitely not one of the VFX bad boys in the fest. I hope you like it.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Behind the Scenes #1:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180803058.jpg

Jim Crawford (Agent Solak) watches the action off camera. Behind him, you can see one of our guerilla ghetto lights mounted on my trusty 1 ton Gitzo.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Behind the Scenes #2:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180803111.jpg

Matt Garrett (matty_g) man-handling the Fig Rig; getting ready for the first shot of the day.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Behind the Scenes #3:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180803200.jpg

Paul (Sam P. Whitehead as Agent Robert Mann) on the scene.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Behind the Scenes #4:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180803353.jpg

"Location Flag Fifty-Two"

We shot at the Pleasant Valley Co-op Preschool in Camarillo, CA.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Behind the Scenes #5:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180803285.jpg

Paul demonstrates Rule No. 28.

After a "wonderful" ( :zombie_smiley:) experience on a USC grad film, Paul made himself a list of 30 or 40 rules for himself as an actor. The one that cracked me up was this one:

"NEVER put your fingers in the salad."

So here's the story. Paul grabbed a slice of avocado out of the giant salad on the catering table at this USC shoot. He heard some ghasps behind him and saw two ladies who were on the crew glaring at him and then mumbling to each other under their breaths. He had all ready won the ladies over on this one by playing the role of a real womanizing bastard to a tee. At the end of the day, he happened to glance over the table. Word must have got out about his "fingering the salad" because nobody had eaten any of it.

Thus rule #28.

BUT HERE'S THE FUNNY PART...

So here were are in the kitchen, laughing about his story and he digs in to the chips and salsa (we served up Baja Fresh for lunch). He didn't put his finger into anything, BUT HE ATE OVER THE SALAD WE HAD AND A BIG GLOB OF SALSA AND CHIP CRUD FELL OUT OF HIS MOUTH! AND HE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE IT!

FUCKING ACTORS! :grin:

We gave him quite a ribbing after that. Needless to say, he added a new rule.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Looks like we got the A-OK and approved. Can't wait!

Danielleus
06-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Hey, thanks for checking out the "Don't Look" thread. Sorry there wasn't more to see. And gosh, what an awesome poster. Can't wait. Good luck.

Ted Arabian
06-03-2007, 05:26 AM
Awesome new poster, John! And BIG CONGRATS on the "uploaded and verified" status!!!

Looking forward to your flick!

-Ted

cinealma
06-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

Here's a few larger grabs from the film:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180904297.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180904329.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1180904361.jpg

Cheers!

Norm Sanders
06-03-2007, 03:37 PM
John, looks like you're taking a B&W approach to the film? Cool! I also LOVE those ghetto light setups you're speaking of ... we used a LOT of them for our shoot, and they work amazingly well as practicals.

cinealma
06-03-2007, 05:20 PM
John, looks like you're taking a B&W approach to the film? Cool! I also LOVE those ghetto light setups you're speaking of ... we used a LOT of them for our shoot, and they work amazingly well as practicals.
Thanks Norm. Yep, another B&W film from me. Kind of my thing.

Yes, those scoops work out well, especially when using those nice halogen bulbs in them that last forever. Only thing with this film is stuff came out kind dark due to lack of attention to the lighting. We had to be in and out in a day, small crew, etc., etc., so we just kind of went with it, shot from the hip so to speak. Not really a lot of time to go with any real lighting set-ups.

I had to crank up the gain/brightness/contrast and play with the curve a lot. The film has this run and gun documentary feel, kind of like 60's b&w 16mm stuff. In the end, I think it fits perfectly. One of those "happy accidents" as they say.

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I ALMOST went B&W as well. Looking forward to your work. Your poster is the best I think :beer:

Ted Arabian
06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Great Job, John! I love the B&W look! You did a great job of sets and costuming for B&W... everything looked great about this film.

"It's a pizza..." hysterical! Great surprise!

I love your style of shooting. From CFWBN9 to this... you have a "mysterious" way of shooting. I don't know how to use a single word to describe it. It like your style of shots and framing are not "plain" or in your face obvious. I'll have to pinder on this more and try to better explain what I see. But I like it!

Story got a little lost on me. I'll go back and view it a second time before I comment further on that. I may have missed something.

Great job, John.

Matty_g
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
very interesting to see how this turned out!
good working with you john.

Charli
06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
John, in case you haven't gotten the memo, we can do film in color - lol.
Actually, the b+w works well in this short. I didn't see a whole lot of spying, I felt
that it was more of an action/noir type film, but as always, you are out in your
own world and I give you props for that.

-zach-
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Here's my take-

The intro was very nice, and I take it from your horrorfest and now spyfest, you like to work in black and white. One criticism I have is that the blacks in a few of the shots were pretty milky, but this problem fixed itself evidently. This is one where I do have to say the F-bombs seemed contrived. Not that they weren't well-intended, but Solak's delivery on them was sub-par. The squib at the end was really great, and then the F-bomb at the end redeemed all other less than adequate F-bombs. Nice job!

wesley
06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
was bothered by the audio in some scenes guess you had some problems. I liked the premise of the story untill everybody stated shooting eachother.

haha i love Agent Solak, his acting wasn't great but he sure was the exact right type to play the character. i also really dug the visual style, this is one of my 6 favs. gonna rewatch them tomorrow and decide my vote.

Dahopafilms
06-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Very cool. Nice job.

The stuff I liked:

B&W - it worked for me.
Loved the opening titles. Really well done.
Age-appropriate actors. Nice job.
Costumes. Very nice.
Laughed at the background material in the scene where Mann opens the pizza box. Very counter to the mood - and perfect for the scene.
Agent Solak - not sure if I really really liked his acting or hated it - but I think I really liked it. Great presence and perfect for the role. Nick Nolte strung out. Nice job.
Mann - great choice. Nicely conveyed and I was sold throughout.

The stuff I wasn't so keen on:

Agent Tarkovsky. I just didn't buy it. Sorry.
Audio. Some dialogue matching problems.
I got a little lost on the story. I'm happy with films that don't hand it all to you on a platter, but I was left without a resolve on the pizza box. What are the possible explanations contained within the piece? The gardener? Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, really nice job. Keep making these. Thanks very much.

cinealma
06-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far, everybody. So obviously there were some "issues" here and there. That's what I get for trying to jam a 12-page script into six minutes. I knew that when I was editing that I was going to have to throw out some of the backstory and character development in order to fit the time limit, so I essentially just cut for the plot and the rest kind of went out the window, thus, the "I didn't get the story" comments. I am definitely now working on a longer cut of the film and hopefully the story will be a hell of a lot clearer.

Acting: the only "real" actor is Paul (Agent Mann). Jim Crawford (Agent Solak) is the guy who I commented on in an earlier post that he was supposed to be this "theater guy", "currently directing a play", etc., and I find out on set that he is actually a "stage manager" and that his wife is the real actress. So, it was an adventure, needless to say. But I do feel the "crochety old man" that I wanted came across rather well. :)

Audio: Welp, that's me again trying to fill in holes not only in the editing, but also the stuff that we didn't get to shoot because the power went out at the location we were at and never came back on. The power outage is actually in the film now, as I was unable to shoot the "fight scene" between Mann and Solak. So, I had to dub in some ADR to try and "fix it in post". Some worked, some didn't, but it kind of gave it the "indie" feel, I think.

Yes, poo poo is my favorite curse word. I can't poo pooing help it.

B&W: Yes, I'm in love with it. This one actually could have gone either way. Only problem is that the lighting sucked. We just kind of shot it from the hip and so we got what we got. I feel the grain resulting from boosting the gain so we can actually SEE something is a lot worse looking in color than b&w. Plus, for this film, I don't know, it kind of reminds me of some scrappy 16mm indie film.

And for the spying, well, I wanted to make a film about the people, spies, and not so much what they do, spying. I knew a lot of people were going to go the action route, so I thought I'd reel it in a bit.

but as always, you are out in your
own world and I give you props for that.
Sure, take my wife's side why don't you. :)

Thanks again for your feedback, it is truly welcome and appreciated.

Danielleus
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey, checked out your piece. Nice entry. Love the concept, and the promotional stuff. Really dug that earlier late fifties/early sixties look to the poster.
I enjoyed the lead. I thought he had a good look to him and handled his role really well.
The gunshot to the head is fantastic. Loved that.
Liked seeing it in B&W. Thought you could've bumped the contrast up or lit it with more than you did. Too much grey for my taste. I know it's not a noir, but I think the blacks and whites need to stand out more.
Didn't really dig the other actors. Especially the one that comes in the end.
However, really enjoyed the story. Idea was in the right place, just wasn't sure if your set pieces hit the mark.

cinealma
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey, checked out your piece. Nice entry. Love the concept, and the promotional stuff. Really dug that earlier late fifties/early sixties look to the poster.
I enjoyed the lead. I thought he had a good look to him and handled his role really well.
The gunshot to the head is fantastic. Loved that.
Liked seeing it in B&W. Thought you could've bumped the contrast up or lit it with more than you did. Too much grey for my taste. I know it's not a noir, but I think the blacks and whites need to stand out more.
Didn't really dig the other actors. Especially the one that comes in the end.
However, really enjoyed the story. Idea was in the right place, just wasn't sure if your set pieces hit the mark.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the lead actor was the only real actor of the bunch. I hope to flesh out the story more in a longer cut.

BTW - "Don't Look" is one of my favorites in the fest. Good job!

Thanks again!

Hootzie
06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Loved the vibe of the movie....great intro...felt like a real movie. Agent Solak's dialogue sounded weird coming from him...wasn't delivered as well as I would have liked, enjoyed the story immensely though!

chris f
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Standard Disclaimer: I've yet to see a bad film so far in this fest. Congratulations to every film maker, everyone did a great job. All my comments and criticisms are meant to be constructive and helpful and in no way am I trying to take anything away from what you accomplished.

Good: Very cool vibe, intro seemed like it was an old tv show or something. Enjoyed the mix-up.

Not as Good: Didn't quite understand what happened for the 2nd half of the film. Some of the dialogue seemed out of synch.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Loved the opening! Interesting story, but I got a little lost. The editing seemed a bit sloppy in spots... still, I enjoyed this one as well.

Mike

deedive
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
its funny that i really like the begining of a film called "the beginner" love the way the music an graphic come together with the old school explosion. had a saul bass feel. the lead was cool. the old man has a good look but is acting is soso. like alot of the framing.

jamesh
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Liked the look of this one, it felt like a 50's film which i'm sure was what you were going for. The framing was excellent! Liked the actors but i got a little lost towards the end. The audio seemed to be out of sync in places or wasn't dubbed very well (but i can hardly complain as there is some bad dubbing in my movie too).

Overall, one of the better films which i enjoyed. thanks.

arielman
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi John
The B&W added that look of the old Spy movies of the 60’s .Good choice !
Loved the introduction clip.

I thought the Voice of Zack was off slightly in 2 spots .
“That F****** Russian was early “ Zacks lips were still moving when finished,
the other was when he was in the window “you can lower the gun Robert “
Noticed this with the Russian agent as well.

I don’t understand why he ( agent man) put his arms in the air at the 5.42 mark .
I love the ending “f****** beginner”

Despite these small hiccups I enjoyed watching this short .
I thought the actors especially Jim Crawford did an excellent job .
Could be a leggy blonde with big tits…lmao good one!!!

Congrats and good luck in the Fest .
Ian

The part I like at the beginning

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/7281/1181259320.jpg

bosindy
06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Loved the late 50's early 60's feel to the opening, you nailed that. The black and white, helped keep the almost cold war era paranoia feel going. The lead acting was good. The last agent's acting didn't match the lead IMO. All and all a strong effort. Congrats.

cinealma
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys. Glad you got the vibe I was going for. I think the opening title sequence is my favorite part, too. I really enjoyed putting it together.

Mickey (Agent Tarkovsky) is a friend of mine. I called him up at the last minute to "come on out and be in a movie". He's no actor, believe me. Funny thing is, when we did a few table reads and rehearsals, he really fed off Paul, our lead actor, and really put something into it. BUt once we got to shooting, especially the coverage, he kind of lost his spark. Probably should have just shot his scene a couple times in single takes and cut it together. Oh well. Live and learn.

My favorite bit with Mickey (Tarkovsky) is when he is about to walk out the door and he gives that little look over his shoulder.

Thanks again guys for watching and all your feedback. It is much appreciated.

bosindy
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
My favorite bit with Mickey (Tarkovsky) is when he is about to walk out the door and he gives that little look over his shoulder.

I had to go back and watch that. I tell ya, the lenghts friends and family will go to to help us no budget filmmakers. It's great your buddy jumped in like that and gave it a try. Even the most seasoned actors can pucker up a little when the cameras start rolling. Good for him for going for it.

cinealma
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I had to go back and watch that. I tell ya, the lenghts friends and family will go to to help us no budget filmmakers. It's great your buddy jumped in like that and gave it a try. Even the most seasoned actors can pucker up a little when the cameras start rolling. Good for him for going for it.

And here's the funny part. Our lead, Paul is like, Joe Actor. Mickey, is the non-actor, BUT he's the "I've read every spy/crime book ever written" guy.

You can well imagine the wonderful BTS stuff going on between those two! :)

Tom Marshall
06-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey John, nice job! :beer:

Yeah, there was some audio stuff and the acting was a bit rough at times, but it had a nice story... the kind that makes you go, "hey, what's going on here?" and then reveals itself up to the end. I love it when stories do that...

And Sam Whitehead... I knew that name sounded familiar. He auditioned for our horrorfest short back in October... what a small world! :)

cinealma
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
And Sam Whitehead... I knew that name sounded familiar. He auditioned for our horrorfest short back in October... what a small world! :)

He was IN my HorrorFest short last year. Very small world indeed!

He's definitely a character, but a good guy. Very pro to work with. Hope your experience with him was positive.

I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Yep, the audio stuff is a little rough. It should be smoothed out in the "director's cut". :)

Thanks for watching!

Tom Marshall
06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
He seemed very professional. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to audition in person, but we exchanged a few emails and he sent me a link to his reel, which was pretty good. I might have to get ahold of him for something in the future...

Shawn Philip Nelson
06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
One of the first spyfest entries to surprise me without confusing the hell out of me, nice! Good job, I enjoyed it.

aFox
06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Good premise. I enyoed it and i liked how the actors played. Good Choice.

Michael_Petro
06-09-2007, 07:20 AM
I enjoyed your film.. the thing that seemed odd to me was the cussing.. you got that 50/60's style tv show look then a couple of F bombs... not that i dislike f bombs just seemed out of place in this setting..

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, John, this opened with a BANG with great music and a totally pro logo/look! From here, the B&W presentation was nice, and we had some interesting shots as well. However, overall, I didn't get the story other than the new agent was either set up or screwed up, but there's a lot I didn't understand about it, or the purpose of the 'Russian' who had no accent to support the role/character. There were serious audio/ADR issues throughout, with words being spoken at in appropriate times (i.e. when we're looking at the Russian who's talking, but mouth isn't moving). There was also a point in the middle of the film where we had some black bars at the top & bottom of the frame, but not throughout the rest of the film, so it was a little distracting, visually. Overall, this had a lot of potential, but I felt it fell short in the end.

Gord.T
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Loved the poster. Very original. Actually set the mood for the short
and days later it's unforgettable. Very nice opening. I got a 60's feel
right off the bat with font choice and split screen. Pro stuff.
The smoke pod ofcourse I laughed at not because it was funny but because
we did the same thing and my hands were black when I was done.
I liked your choice of casting. Rough looking dudes. The hawaiian shirt
fit the character perfect.
The CU @ 1:11 almost suggests a lens change. My first impression was
fish eye but scrolling back I don't see it. I don't know cameras but
am wondering if you did a lens change for that shot. Some people like
wide angle but I think fish eye (what's that called again? tele-photo? no, that's
for bringing backgrounds closeup like for concert crowds. What is that fish-eye lens called? )
The swearing lines @ 1:27 were unexpected. It threw me off guard in a way that
added an unpredictable element to the flow. Kind of like ripples in the pond.
Just enough to add an edge and keep things interesting without being
obnoxious.
I liked the CU's emphasizing the earpierce. The accompanying audio
matched perfectly.
I liked the idea of the paper folding. Gives the character that one important ingrediant.
Character.
The blood splat on the table...well done and believable. I laughed though
because of our blood splat on the lens in a previous fest.
So I'm partial to blood splat. Gotta have splat.
There is a big moving shadow at 2:51. mmmmm.
On first pass I wrote it off as an airplane shadow
but upon closer inspection I'm thinking...gotcha.
The hubcaps on the strings/ropes. I've seen these in films before.
So there must be a practicle reason for this. Is it like a scarecrow
type of thing to scare off birds or other animals? We don't see that
here in Canada. Usually we just pick up some girl in the bar and tell them
to go stand out in the cornfield and look pretty.(I love rotten tomatoes.ouch)
About 4:50 the audio begins to...nuff said.
I know you had issues in getting it in so that's cool.
This short had an original and refreshing feel to it. And I cannot tell
you why. It's just a feel or style that you've imparted into the film
along the way. A culmination of many factors and not just a given technique.
Let's call it personality.
It would have been really cool had you persued it in spanish as you had
originally planned. And if you had completed it the way you planned.
But I'm glad you chose to take crits on entering something that was
not your complete vision. That is hard.
There is no way in hell you'll keep me from watching your next short.
And please do not go mainstream, at least for now.
And if you can make the next one in spanish all the better.
This short sticks in my head. I have a video library full of
hollywood movies. 5 % are international. But hey, they are in my library
on par with the rest. It takes guts to be honest to yourself
but it also means being broke most of the time. Depends on what your after.
-I guess that's it. Congrats and will be watching out for you for absolute sure.

cinealma
06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
One of the first spyfest entries to surprise me without confusing the hell out of me, nice! Good job, I enjoyed it.

Thanks. A longer script than on the screen this cut, I tried to keep the story intact as best I could. Glad you enjoyed it!

Good premise. I enyoed it and i liked how the actors played. Good Choice.

Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed it!

I enjoyed your film.. the thing that seemed odd to me was the cussing.. you got that 50/60's style tv show look then a couple of F bombs... not that i dislike f bombs just seemed out of place in this setting..

I'm probably going to trim those down a bit in the final cut. But I get a blast out of seeing "older" people curse! :laugh: Thanks for watching!

Wow, John, this opened with a BANG with great music and a totally pro logo/look! From here, the B&W presentation was nice, and we had some interesting shots as well. However, overall, I didn't get the story other than the new agent was either set up or screwed up, but there's a lot I didn't understand about it, or the purpose of the 'Russian' who had no accent to support the role/character. There were serious audio/ADR issues throughout, with words being spoken at in appropriate times (i.e. when we're looking at the Russian who's talking, but mouth isn't moving). There was also a point in the middle of the film where we had some black bars at the top & bottom of the frame, but not throughout the rest of the film, so it was a little distracting, visually. Overall, this had a lot of potential, but I felt it fell short in the end.

I have to go back and check for those black bars. Probably a trim I added back into it late in the game.

My biggest faux pas, I admit, is I tend to always work on the opening titles first. It's a creative habit that I just can't shake. A friend of mine and I used to write computer games for the Commodore Amiga, C64 before that... ah, memories... anyway, my friend always made fun of me because the very first thing I would produce for our projects were "TITLE SCREENS".

But I think working on those helps to set the tone for the rest of the piece, you know?

As for the ADR, yes, the biggest weakness. This was my first REAL dialogue cutting project. I might have tried to do too much, but you don't learn until you get your hands dirty and dig right in, eh? Ha! Yes, I'll be cleaning it up a bit for the final cut.

The story, well, I'm afraid suffered in the 6-minute cut. The final cut will fix that (I hope :happy:).

The Russian. I think when a lot of people heard "That fucking Russian's early", they were expecting a REAL Russian guy, complete with accent. My intention was for Mark to not be a 1st generation Russian guy. Agent Solak just like to refer to him as a "Russian" because of his heritage/last name or whatever. So Agent Tarkovsky is more like a American of Russian descent from the Bay area. :thumbsup: I'm going to fix that in the final cut, though.

Glad you like it, Norm. I think it has a lot of potential too, I just have to get back into the editing room and work it.

Thanks for watching!

Edgen
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
My Thoughts:

I liked the look of the main character. He looks like he came straight from the 50s. I'm not sure the black and white worked. Perhaps if all the set looked from the 50s, it would be a different story. I think some of the film was shot in a school room? Maybe I would rather see all the bright colors and it just took me out of the film. The white haired actor ..

Ok, music. I'm.. eh.
Audio seemed off sync. I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread about this or not.

Loved the lead.
I dug the end shot.

/j

cinealma
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Raptor:

I truly appreciate the time that went into the detailed critique. When time allows today, I will read through it and give it a response it deserves. Just wanted to say I didn't forget about you.

Thanks truly.

cinealma
06-10-2007, 11:16 AM
My Thoughts:

I liked the look of the main character. He looks like he came straight from the 50s. I'm not sure the black and white worked. Perhaps if all the set looked from the 50s, it would be a different story. I think some of the film was shot in a school room? Maybe I would rather see all the bright colors and it just took me out of the film. The white haired actor ..

Ok, music. I'm.. eh.
Audio seemed off sync. I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread about this or not.

Loved the lead.
I dug the end shot.

/j

I'm debating about the color, too. I've been messing around with some different "looks" and I might give do some CC and render out some tests. My only challenge is going to be the "blood". Since I was shooting for black and white, I used a darker mix.

The color is funny, too, because when I apply color to the opening sequence, it still works, only instead of 60's, it feels more like late 70's, early 80's.

Ok, the music. I'm... eh. HA! HA! I like what I composed for the opening, but the "score", well, you know... So, you wanna do some pro bono work this summer? :cool: I'm serious!

Thanks for watching!

gabrielflorit
06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
This one started out really cool. Bongo music, 60's fonts, very cool. And then it started, and the black and white.... didn't really pop, it was so muted. So blah. The acting was good, except for the ADR, which was poorly done. Interesting script. Overall I enjoyed it, thanks!

cinealma
06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Raptor, thanks for the feedback. Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Loved the poster. Very original. Actually set the mood for the short
and days later it's unforgettable. Very nice opening. I got a 60's feel
right off the bat with font choice and split screen. Pro stuff.
The smoke pod ofcourse I laughed at not because it was funny but because
we did the same thing and my hands were black when I was done.
I liked your choice of casting. Rough looking dudes. The hawaiian shirt
fit the character perfect.

Thanks. Like I mentioned in another post, I tend to work on the "big opening" first to kind of set my own mood for editing, as well as the film's.

The CU @ 1:11 almost suggests a lens change. My first impression was
fish eye but scrolling back I don't see it. I don't know cameras but
am wondering if you did a lens change for that shot. Some people like
wide angle but I think fish eye (what's that called again? tele-photo? no, that's
for bringing backgrounds closeup like for concert crowds. What is that fish-eye lens called? )
The DVX has a fixed zoom lens on it. We didn't use any attachments. But, we stuck to just three or four spots on the zoom. We used the wide end a lot and really got into the actors' faces at times.

The swearing lines @ 1:27 were unexpected. It threw me off guard in a way that
added an unpredictable element to the flow. Kind of like ripples in the pond.
Just enough to add an edge and keep things interesting without being
obnoxious.
Thanks. Some people like 'em, some don't.

I liked the CU's emphasizing the earpierce. The accompanying audio
matched perfectly.
Thank you. We actually shot that around 1:00am in my garage. We threw a kids shower curtain up as a background to fit in with the preschool. Because of the power outage, we had to improvise.

I liked the idea of the paper folding. Gives the character that one important ingrediant.
Character.
"See this poo pooing bird..."

Yeah, that's my favorite line in the whole script. Added a little surrealism to it and set up his next line.

The blood splat on the table...well done and believable. I laughed though
because of our blood splat on the lens in a previous fest.
So I'm partial to blood splat. Gotta have splat.
The blood splat was fun. We used the basic garden pump sprayer and hose setup. We did three takes. #1 actually looked the best, but sprayed out at the wrong angle. #2 sucked because the hose clogged. #3 was crazy because it kind of SPRAYED out in a big, thick stream. I had to cut a lot of frames out just to make it look like he was shot and not harpooned.

There is a big moving shadow at 2:51. mmmmm.
On first pass I wrote it off as an airplane shadow
but upon closer inspection I'm thinking...gotcha.
Not a person, I'm sure. We're all standing behind the camera. It was a windy day, so either it's a shadow from the tree or possibly a moire pattern from the mesh stuff covering the fence.

The hubcaps on the strings/ropes. I've seen these in films before.
So there must be a practicle reason for this. Is it like a scarecrow
type of thing to scare off birds or other animals?
Acutally, these are for the kids to bang on at the preschool just for fun during playtime outside.

We don't see that here in Canada. Usually we just pick up some girl in the bar and tell them to go stand out in the cornfield and look pretty.(I love rotten tomatoes.ouch)

Ha!

About 4:50 the audio begins to...nuff said.
I know you had issues in getting it in so that's cool.
Yes. Because of the power outage we had, there were a lot of missing shots I had to deal with in editing. I think the idea is there, I just have to go back and work it a bit.

This short had an original and refreshing feel to it. And I cannot tell
you why. It's just a feel or style that you've imparted into the film
along the way. A culmination of many factors and not just a given technique.
Let's call it personality.
Thanks! That's what I keep telling my wife. But it's not usually about my films.

It would have been really cool had you persued it in spanish as you had
originally planned. And if you had completed it the way you planned.
The spanish version had the same story, except it was WAY toned down and only dealt with the two main characters. I just didn't have the actors to pull it off and ran out of time to find them. Paul's a great actor (Agent Mann), but he doesn't really speak spanish.

But I'm glad you chose to take crits on entering something that was
not your complete vision. That is hard.
There is no way in hell you'll keep me from watching your next short.
And please do not go mainstream, at least for now.
And if you can make the next one in spanish all the better.
This short sticks in my head. I have a video library full of
hollywood movies. 5 % are international. But hey, they are in my library
on par with the rest. It takes guts to be honest to yourself
but it also means being broke most of the time. Depends on what your after.
-I guess that's it. Congrats and will be watching out for you for absolute sure.Thank you so much. It's great that somebody enjoys my films as much as I enjoy making them.

And I appreciate the time you spent in your detailed feedback. Thanks for watching!

cinealma
06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
This one started out really cool. Bongo music, 60's fonts, very cool. And then it started, and the black and white.... didn't really pop, it was so muted. So blah. The acting was good, except for the ADR, which was poorly done. Interesting script. Overall I enjoyed it, thanks!

Thanks, man. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The B&W was a challenge on this one basically because we really didn't "light" it. So it kind of has the old 60's documentary feel to it, and not intentionally. Something I will really work on for the final cut.

Thanks again for watching!