Production Designer - Ashley Bradley
Set Dresser - Vanessa Valez
Sound Recordist/Mixer - James Richter
Visual Effects Lead - Andy Lefton
Composer - Austin Wintory
Production Assistants - Montserrat Leon, Christie Hauck, Rick Castaneda

dougspice
03-13-2007, 08:52 PM
15 Mar 2007: Beware the Ides of March! I finally actually wrote out the script, then re-wrote. Still not convinced that it's producible, but I'm happy with it. Copies out to the producers and DP (who I still need to actually sign on to the project).
15 Mar 2007: my old friend Ryan has expressed some interest in being my composer for the film, which is great news, because he's one of the most talented people I know!
15 Mar 2007: actual paying client work now interferes with my ability to get any more real work done. Oh, this prison of eating and breathing!

6 Apr 2007: I have been totally forgetting to update this list. Part of that is because I am still swamped with real client work. I've put in over 60 hours already this week, and will be working through the weekend. But if I don't, there's no way this movie is getting done. And this movie IS getting done.
6 Apr 2007: We have a full cast now (well, except all the extras)!
6 Apr 2007: Location meetings and scout has been scheduled.
6 Apr 2007: Everyone's getting their budgets in to me and the producer, and, well, it's a little terrifying... but did I mention that this movie IS getting done?
9 Apr 2007: Producer calls me up to mention that suddenly the border patrol has a problem with the weapons we might be bringing in. This despite the fact that I was explicit WEEKS ago about the exact nature of what we plan to do. But, you can't fight City Hall, right?
11 Apr 2007: Ryan Amen unfortunately had to drop out of the project, but the very talented Austin Wintory is taking his place, and I am excited!
17 Apr 2007: Into the home stretch here, and it promises to be a super interesting week... we're still short 3 locations, and have two promising possibilities, but nothing confirmed. Meanwhile, one of my actors got the schedule wrong and booked a network television gig for Monday, so the fact that we're out 3 locations may not even matter (right away at least). Saturday and Sunday, however, are rock solid, and I am super excited. A list of our inventory has been sent to the consulate for approval, so hopefully we'll sail right across the border, and all of our permitting documents are in. Hopefully we'll get an officer assigned to us that isn't hopelessly corrupt, but I'm not too confident in that. :)
19 Apr 2007: Unfortunately, we lost ALL of our locations today, due to a real-life gun battle that happened in Tijuana yesterday. Our plan is to reschedule for 2-3 weeks from now and make the movie just as we previously planned, but this means that sadly we won't be turning anything in in time for SpyFest. Damn. But, you can't really control these things.
22 May 2007: Haven't really updated this for a while, but shooting went incredibly well last weekend, and I am thrilled with everything we have so far! One more day of shooting ahead of us, which I'm still searching for a location for, but I'm feeling extremely good about everything right now.

Some production stills:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/509860679_0a6c8b9d2c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/509830950_49ee1a59d8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/509822516_b896b422d8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/509843217_bd332bafc8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/509814428_e5e47f800c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/509825228_e626afeec0.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/509843927_d2435ff0ac.jpg

Brandon Rice
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
OH WOW... nice!

jeremytuttle
03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Sweet Doug. Did you create that symbol/logo? I wonder if there is any symbolism with the name Caldera that will happen in your movie, interesting... Can't wait.

Ted Arabian
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Nice! Looks good. Man, oh man.... we are going to have a great time come June!

Looking forward to your film!

-Ted

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Looks interesting! Nice poster/banner.

Cheers,

Mike

dougspice
03-14-2007, 01:11 PM
jeremy, yes, I created the logo and the flag. Although "created" might be a strong word. It's based heavily off of the Angolan and Portuguese flags, with various other Marxist imagery thrown in as well. And the name is certainly significant... hopefully that gives you enough of an idea what I'm up to for now!

dougspice
03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Several crucial updates today. With luck, I won't be letting anyone down!

jeremytuttle
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
jeremy, yes, I created the logo and the flag. Although "created" might be a strong word. It's based heavily off of the Angolan and Portuguese flags, with various other Marxist imagery thrown in as well.

Nice work. Did you use Illustrator or PS or maybe something else?

dougspice
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Designed the basic flag in Illustrator.

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/Caldera-flag.gif

Then I took that into Cinema 4D and used it as a texture on the flag, lighting, etc.

jeremytuttle
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Once again niceee... Those wings most have been a pain and the bricks are a great touch.

dougspice
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, well... I didn't actually do most of that work. Like I said before it's basically stolen from various Portuguese flags. The falcon is from the Voluntario Brigade, I believe. I did have to recolor and simplify it - there was a lot of unnecessary shading detail in there before that was just distracting.

Here's the website that I grabbed most of the flags from, a great resource:
http://www.webchantier.com/

dougspice
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
More meetings than you can shake a stick at! But it looks like I probably have secured my producers, DP, and production designer... I'll know by the end of the weekend. The desperate hunt for locations has begun! Casting... has not. If these people I have in mind turn out not to be right for it, we might really be in trouble. But that couldn't possibly happen, right??

Edgen
03-16-2007, 10:49 PM
hey doug.. looking forward to checking out your film. Best of luck on nailing down your crowd. :) Slick poster btw.

cheers!
/j

ripupthehwy
03-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Very artistic! I like your graphics!

Mark T. Aro
03-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Doug... Nice graphics. Good design.
:happy:

dougspice
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys. Found one location this weekend. Many more left to go!

dougspice
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
"Real work" has been distracting me from this, but I'm putting in some time now!

Signed my production designer today, the wonderfully knowledgeable Ashley Bradley, who has made some good suggestions on locations and such, so we're scouting those in the next few days. Casting sessions begin in about an hour here... hoping we strike gold because honestly there isn't a huge variety of applicants to choose from. On the other hand, most of them seem to have worked on Guiding Light at one point or another, so that's... something.

Tonight tonight tonight is rewrite night! Also, if anyone has a jeep or a .30 machinegun they're not using, I'd love to borrow it for a weekend. :)

Justyn
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Wish you the best of luck out there Doug. I'd have a nice collection of guns for you if you were in Florida. I do have some contacts out there for production people, especially on the post side.. like audio an all that.

Have a good one...

dougspice
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks Justyn... I'm pretty much all set in the post department, and I'm pretty sure for production as well. The only category I'm usually short on is a good production sound man. Oh, and my favorite ADs are all on the East Coast now... but that's easy enough to deal with.

As for guns, well, we really have no problem for the most part. The only real issue is I can't seem to find reasonably priced FN FALs. Authenticity may have to suffer a bit, alas...

Charli
03-24-2007, 09:03 AM
What part of your script is unproducable? Are you talking cost wise or FX wise? Like the banner.

dougspice
03-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh, locations, locations, locations. And extras. The effects and weapons and such are actually no problem at all. It's just the locations and all the extra costs that go with that. But I've faced off against worse before! I will persevere!

dougspice
03-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Grrrr! Update from location #1 this morning: they want $5000, non-negotiable. Not happening, sorry. So, back to square one.

STRIKER
04-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Interesting idea. You have crew list and a cool poster. Very cool.

dougspice
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, the crew and cast all have their passports ready. That's about all I can say at this point, except that this movie is going to cost me some coin for sure.

dougspice
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh, right, cast!

Casting went extremely well and I have about half of my guys. Callbacks for the others by Thursday, and a full cast list (minus extras) by the end of the week.

Speaking of extras, these gentlemen here have agreed to help out:

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/Suicidal_sequoia1.jpg

We're still contemplating the liability issues on that one.

dougspice
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Exciting news this morning... we are now fully cast! I hope to have some cast "posters" up next week (and maybe also a new poster/banner to replace these teaser ones).

Additionally, it turns out our location liaison is going to be in town on Wednesday, so we're going to have a meeting with him and make sure we're moving along in the right direction.

A couple of my friends who make incredibly good documentaries have agreed to come with on our shoot and shoot behind-the-scenes material, which I will later include on a DVD if there seems to be interest.

Script is now on the second draft, and pretty solid. One more revision ought to do it.

Next: costumes, props, visas, shot breakdowns, VFX breakdowns, and more! Time is starting to get really tight, but then again, that's when I'm at my best. I just hope the same is true for the rest of the crew!

dougspice
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Been working on some basic props and dressing here, figured I might as well share a quick piece:

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/props_docs_01.jpg

dougspice
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
And here's another.

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/props_docs_02.jpg

All of this is a temporary distraction from the fact that we're having a location crisis at the moment, which threatens the entire movie. But we'll work it out. Did I mention I work best under pressure? Gotta love low-budget filmmaking.

Ralph Oshiro
04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Nice props!

dougspice
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks! The transcript is based on actual radio intercepts from the Secret Service and the USS Liberty. That's part of why I love this genre so much: every little thing unveals so much interesting research!

I like the graffiti thing in your banner. Very creepy.

dougspice
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
New banner up, new poster maybe on the way now that there's a cast.

Ralph Oshiro
04-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks! The transcript is based on actual radio intercepts from the Secret Service and the USS Liberty. That's part of why I love this genre so much: every little thing unveals so much interesting research!

I like the graffiti thing in your banner. Very creepy.
Wow! Thank you! I was afraid my graffiti looked to, uh, "me." You know what I mean? (It's only my handwriting, so it doesn't seem creepy at all.) I think attention to production design details are the one thing that can really make these little films shine. There's nothing worse than having all the elements in place, yet have a poorly crafted, amateurish prop featured prominently in a scene. Keep up the good work! Anxious to hear/see more about your "imported" props!

dougspice
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, I agree that I don't think it looks "real", if that's what you're saying. It's too saturated for spray-paint, for one thing. But I think the writing looks fine, and it's just creepy as hell. So... effective without being "real", I guess. But nothing wrong with that.

Update on the props: we actually spent about 15 minutes brainstorming ways to smuggle assault rifles into a foreign country (albeit, fake ones), just for the sake of doing it, before coming to the conclusion that there's almost no way to do it on short-notice that doesn't constitute a felony or international crime! Maybe for the feature version that would be worth it, but not for the short. So, Friday I return to ISS to consider their collection of rubber weapons, which apparently are the only kind legal to transport. And of course it still remains entirely possible that we'll end up shooting in the local area anyway. Answers tomorrow hopefully!

Made some updates to the first two posts... a couple additions and changes to the crew!

dougspice
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
A little bit of world-building this afternoon:

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/WelcomeToSanMateo.pdf

dougspice
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Down to less than a week before the shoot, but I've almost never felt this good about a project. We did the location scout yesterday and I am so, so happy with everything we have so far. However, we're still missing 3 locations! The hunt continues!

Ralph Oshiro
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Update on the props: we actually spent about 15 minutes brainstorming ways to smuggle assault rifles into a foreign country (albeit, fake ones), just for the sake of doing it, before coming to the conclusion that there's almost no way to do it on short-notice that doesn't constitute a felony or international crime! Maybe for the feature version that would be worth it, but not for the short. So, Friday I return to ISS to consider their collection of rubber weapons, which apparently are the only kind legal to transport.
Thanks for the spray paint comments! Really thrilled that you said they were "creepy!" Is ISS that huge prop house in the Valley? The one that makes the real good fake money and stuff?

dougspice
04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Yep, that's the one. They also have lots and lots of taxidermied animal heads, and (more to the point) guns... lots of guns.

dougspice
04-17-2007, 05:10 PM
So! Here we are in the final week before shooting. Some developments:

1) one of our actors got our schedule mixed up and booked a network television gig for Monday, which there's no telling him to back out of.

2) however, we're still missing all of our interior locations for Monday, so we may not have anything to shoot with him anyway!

3) we did get all of our permitting documents and equipment inventory sent through to the consulate and film commission, after some hack-work translating them! So, in theory, we'll encounter no problems at the border. Now we just have to sort out some vans to transport us!

4) we've picked up a new 2nd AD who's agreed to help us out just 'cause, which is great because he's Mexican by birth, and should be a great asset.

I don't know if I've ever worked this hard to get a project done before. It's definitely pushing all of my skills (especially my Spanish!) to the limit. But when it comes off, I think it's going to be beautiful. And I'm sure I'll have a million stories, good and bad, to share about the experience.

Matt Sconce
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow! I look forward to hearing them!

dougspice
04-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I hope to still be alive, at least. :kali:

dougspice
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
All right. Lots of orders placed with various rental houses, a few more to come. What's that whistling sound? Oh, that's money flying out of my bank account!

Note: for a relaxing pre-production time, never schedule your last week before shooting to include TAX DAY, or you may find yourself sitting for hours at a time with one of your prop guns in your mouth.

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 11:38 AM
LOL! You've got that right ... while I was still moving forward with pre-production on BERLIN, I too was trying to get the stinkin' taxes completed ... talk about stress.

Nice work on the flag/poster, btw!

dougspice
04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Today's update: I hate Los Angeles and everyone in it.

We found a terrific location, and the owner seemed like a really cool guy willing to donate his location if we'd just buy snacks and stuff from him (it's a coffee shop) and give him a credit. So, great! Shoot on Monday!

But today I went down there to check it out in person, and he had this friend with him. Apparently they used her house for all exteriors on Joan of Arcadia and some other network shows. And apparently she convinced this guy that he needed to ask us for at least $1000, even though the impact on his regular business would be very slim. My movie is not Joan of Arcadia, sorry. But there was no convincing him of that.

bosindy
04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Man that stinks. The one thing about LA I have always hated is that everyone thinks they are wired into the industry, that they know how it works. And "Joan of Arcadia" of all the god forsaken shows. I feel for you, I know what these set backs feel like.

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear that ... yeah, that'd tee me off as well.

dougspice
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, bad news, guys... apparently yesterday there was a major gun battle between police and a group of criminals in Tijuana, near our shooting locations, and they have revoked our permits. So we won't be shooting this weekend, unfortunately. We will have to reschedule for 2-3 weeks from now.

While I suspect this will ultimately make the movie better, I can't see any way that it allows us to get it done in time for SpyFest. So, sadly, I guess I have to announce our retirement from the contest. If any mods want to move this to "User Films" I'll be happy to continue providing updates as they happen. The movie's still going to rock, and I'm excited to have the extra time to really flesh everything out!

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Doug, that still gives you 3-4 weeks of post production after that to get your film in! C'mon, don't give in. Now, if you said that there were elements of your film that flat our wouldn't be included, making it a different picture than intended, etc. (our reason for pulling BERLIN from the fest), then I'd have to side with you ... but if it's a time thing, I think you've still got time.

As you said, you'll have more time to prepare in advance, it'll just be a little crazier on the post end of things now. Make sure all your other stuff for post is lined up (CC artist, editor, composer, etc.), and you should still be good to go! :thumbsup:

dougspice
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, I just don't think 3-4 weeks is enough to do the film justice. I've got a bunch of work coming up in May, so I know I won't be able to dedicate myself to it fully, and our VFX guy was already putting some pressure on his schedule to fit this in. Same for sound, same for music. Basically, you're right: if we had to turn something in, we could... but it wouldn't be a movie up to the standards I expect of it.

I'll spend a little time brainstorming the next day or two and see if I can't come up with something incredibly simple that could be done over a weekend (including post) so that I have SOMETHING in the contest, but if not, I'm happy to just help out others with their films!

cinealma
04-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Dude, that's rough. It's those things that are absolutely out of your hands that drive you crazy, no? Well, I'll definitely keep an eye out for Caldera in the user films area. I hope you can put something together still for SpyFest, though.

dougspice
04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks! I hope so too... gonna spend some time this weekend and try to write a very personal story.

dougspice
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Just so no one thinks this movie is dead, here's a very rough location/effects shot we've put together:

http://www.psychicbunny.com/extras/caldera/vfx_location_01.jpg

Still needs a lot of work, but not bad for pre-vis!

In other news, looks like our new shoot dates are May 19-21... so definitely out of SpyFest. That's okay, I've got another script here that I think might be a real possibility!

cinealma
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
That looks awesome! That's pretty wide... it's like

CALDERA-MA

Hey! Is that the smokey thing from Lost? Pretty cool! :)

Also reminds me a little bit of Once Upon A Time In Mexico, I don't know why.

dougspice
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Hmm, I haven't seen it. I'm sure the architecture has plenty in common. As for the wideness, yeah, I just kinda cropped by guessing at 2.35 in a hurry. I think I probably cut it a little lean. (it's almost 3:1)

dougspice
05-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, after what seems like a feature-film amount of pre-production, and numerous near-total disasters, we are now fully prepared for our shoot beginning tomorrow! Two days in Mexico followed by one day in San Diego.

This is the most exciting project I've ever done, and certainly the one with the most impact/debt for me personally! It's definitely going to be an interesting experience. But I'm not nervous about production. I'm fully confident that this is going to be an amazing and gorgeous film.

Wish us luck.

dougspice
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, we're back, and I have to say that I may move to Mexico and never come back. Everyone there is so unbelievably nice, and helpful, and understanding, that it makes the process of filmmaking HERE feel unbearably painful.

Everything went wonderfully, and we only had to cut two or three shots (because we couldn't get enough dolly track). The cast and crew were fantastic. I'm really grateful for everything we've achieved so far. Now, the task of one more painful day shooting in L.A.

I'll pull some footage grabs soon, but for now, here's a few production stills:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/509860679_0a6c8b9d2c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/509830950_49ee1a59d8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/509822516_b896b422d8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/509843217_bd332bafc8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/509814428_e5e47f800c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/509825228_e626afeec0.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/509843927_d2435ff0ac.jpg

dougspice
05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Any chance one of the mods can move this out of SpyFest and in to User Films? It's no longer a SpyFest entry.

(edit, nevermind, I've created a new comprehensive thread over at http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=954228)