PDA

View Full Version : Secret Admiration - a film by Gary French

Gary French
03-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Ted Arabian
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Good luck and congratulations. Nice title! Interesting poster.

-Ted

jeremytuttle
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I like the poster, looking forward to more info.

Ki-Ki
03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I like the poster, looking forward to more info.

Second that

Kyle Stebbins
04-09-2007, 01:12 AM
a fantastic poster. whats the latest with this one??

Norm Sanders
04-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Very attractive poster .... look forward to more updates!

Keystoned
04-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Welcome. Agree with others on the poster, nice job there.
:beer:

Alex Jeffery
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Awesome poster! Can't wait to see more.

Ted Arabian
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Sue you??? Seriously?! Do tell. Wow!

Nice grabs. I love that sunset grab.

Good luck!

-Ted

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
haha, glad you are not getting sued over DVXfest man.
Looking forward to the fruit of your headaches :grin:

Dustin R. Rogan
06-04-2007, 02:57 AM
As a member of this fantastic crew, I say that I was glad it was over, but sad that we dont have a project to work on...glad because I could sleep now...Gary was a slave driver, as you can tell in the pic of us lying down from being worked so hard. :huh:. It was fun!

:laugh:

for Gary...
:nads:

Dustin R. Rogan
06-04-2007, 05:08 AM
good thing I brought my backup emergency kit with me that day of the shoot lol...kids do come in handy everyonce in a while...jk

Dustin R. Rogan
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
awww...Gary I'm gonna... throw up in my mouth...jk! :dankk2:Thanks for putting up with me...we look great on here yeah for us noob film makers!!! I hope people watch our flick...guess no one watched it :(

Dustin R. Rogan
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
now i'm ready for or next project!!!

Dustin R. Rogan
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
me likey this one better

chris f
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Standard Disclaimer: I've yet to see a bad film so far in this fest. Congratulations to every film maker, everyone did a great job. All my comments and criticisms are meant to be constructive and helpful and in no way am I trying to take anything away from what you accomplished.

Good: Liked the plot twist. The slo mo and the music went very well together.

Not as Good: Didn't like the voice over that much, the gun shot seemed fake, didn't really like the ending line.

JOE BLO
06-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I loved the ending line. I didn't see it coming. Congrats. Good Job!

EduardoMiguel
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Great job. I liked the use of B&W here.
I could totally see how one could spy on that girl...she's gorgeous!

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 06:52 AM
is it a bad thing i like watching myself die...lol

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 09:02 AM
First off, I think I'm in love! Just don't tell my wife. :)
The lead actress actually looks a bit like her.

Secondly, I think you needed a few shots of him actually spying on her. I think that would have helped a bit. Seeing her reading, maybe a shot of him in the background, looking over a magazine. Nothing obvious, just subtle.

Lastly, the shot did sound fake but that's an easy fix. I loved the look of this short and the ending was awesome!

You should be proud. Nice work overall, I really enjoyed this one.

Mike

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
First off, I think I'm in love! Just don't tell my wife. :)
The lead actress actually looks a bit like her.
Mike

yeah my wifes name is Brandi (with an 'i') so it got kinda confusing on set having to say my Brandi all the time

:dankk2:Thanks for the comments, i'm already eager for the next Fest!!!! :grin:

Hootzie
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Great concept and fairly well executed I thought! I enjoyed the voice over....really needed to see him spying on her more though, rather than just the shots of her. Even if they were just him the background of what she was doing....wanted to feel that spy turned stalker thing a lot more. When she shoots him I was like "WHOA!" I didn't see that coming, but the lighting when it switches to that shooting scene looked a little different than the rest and his reaction to being shot was a little wonky. Great movie my friend....every enjoyable!

bosindy
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I got a Beauty an the Beast feel from it. The Linda Hamilton show. I liked it and then the last line happened and I then loved it. Made me laugh after a tough day at work. I don't mind a 6 minute set up for a well delivered crack at the end.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I got a Beauty an the Beast feel from it. The Linda Hamilton show. I liked it and then the last line happened and I then loved it. Made me laugh after a tough day at work. I don't mind a 6 minute set up for a well delivered crack at the end.

WOWZERS! I like comments like this one!! :dankk2:Thanks even if you are calling me the Beast lol

and as for my death acting skills...i was kinda the last choice since our lead actor went all Diva on us...i'm in no way an actor...lol. Lets just say it was a very humbling experience on my part

AmyO
06-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Nice film. Great twist. I too would have loved to see him in the background more. Also, and this is a thing of mine having done B&W journalism photography, but I appreciated that you didn't just use the "desaturate" filter on your color footage. Your black and white look has great contrast, with nice deep shadows and detailed white highlights.

Good work.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 07:07 PM
thanks!:)

Chris Messineo
06-06-2007, 05:38 AM
I really loved the black and white look of this film.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I really loved the black and white look of this film.

Thanks Chris, I like it too, nice choice Gary! :thumbup:

Chris Messineo
06-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Honestly, I was surprised at how well the DVX did with B&W as well. It makes me want to go shoot something in B&W. :)

I think it not only suited your story, but your actress as well. She looked good in the BTS shots, but she looked great in B&W.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-07-2007, 05:52 AM
and i still looked fugly lol...only way to make me look better is to just put black over me... :grin:

Dahopafilms
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Gary and Dustin,

I liked this one a lot. Really good - and the fact that it was only a little over 3 minutes in length was great.

Stuff I really liked:
The B&W treatment. Again. Very nice.
Your lead actress. Really beautiful in so many shots. You shot her very well.
I LOVED the shot immediately following the gunshot moment. Wow.
The story. Original (I thought).

Stuff I wasn't so sure about:
The VO. Hate to say it, but it didn't do a lot for me.
The punch line at the end. I'm likely out of step here with others' views, but I wouldn't have included it. But that's just me.

Really great. Nice job. Thanks for making it.

cinealma
06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok, I loved this one. It's not perfect, but I the atmosphere it created was very sensual and obsessive, which obviously fits with the piece. This could have very easily come off as pretentious or an ode to a Calvin Klein fragrance commercial, but it was executed very well.

This is not so much a story as an experience, if you know what I mean. And when the twist comes, you really don't see it coming.

The filmmaker in me has to give you a few "here's what I would do" points, basically because I like your film so much, so here it goes:

1. B&W: I'd play with the curves a little more and really use the histogram as a tool. There's definitely too much of a "video" look, which I'm not saying is bad thing generally, but for your film you need more of those "gray holes" filled in. It doesn't have to be soft. Contrast is good, but I think it just needs to be a smoother look for the subject matter of your film.

2. You've got to kill the voice over. The phone call works great. The cuts from the guys eye to the taped images of the woman really build up that obsession. But the voice over once it gets going really takes me out of it. You said that you ran out of time, but maybe you have enough pieces you can cut in there to show that he is following her. You won't need much, as you should have mostly shots of the woman on the screen, so that WE, the viewers can obsess as well. I watched it a second time and turned down the volume once we were in the streets, and it even without the sound it worked 1000% better than with the VO. Trust me.

2b. Killing the VO will kill that last "bitch" line. Might be a favorite, but sometimes you have to kill your darlings, as they say. This last line almost adds a bit of humor to the film, which it doesn't need in my opinion. And without it, it makes the whole twist at the end even more shocking.

2c. Kill the dialogue of the woman talking into her watch/com-link. We can see he lips moving and talking into something. After the whole introduction with the conversation on the phone, we know we are in a "spy" or other covert world. We would get it, without her explaining it to us. And it's even MORE powerful. Heighten the music up as her lips move, the gun, the guy bleeding to death on the ground... wow.

3. The colorizing of the blood: you don't need it. Enough said.

4. The voice on the phone, I wouldn't distort it so much. You might even want to re-record it with an older person with a more "fatherly" voice.

That's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll think of more. This film is right up my alley and has all the potential to polish up in something I would always remember.

Fantastic job. Thank you so much for screening.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
wow, on my behalf of my parts in the movie, thank you guys. these are the kind of comments I was looking for positive criticism. For our first film, we seem to be getting good feed back on helping our growth as filmmakers. I'm glad you guys liked it, as you probably read on this thread you prolly noticed we had a few major bumps in our road...prolly the big one of the compy crapping out and we're freaking out, and hoping we weren't going to have to drop out of the SpyFest. Needless to say I'm like a virgin on prom night ...eager to do the next fest!!! 'Cept next time Gary and Myself will prolly do our own flicks. maybe, still working together just we each direct a flick each... Anyhoos thanks again for the feedback.

:Drogar-Love(DBG): I LOVE THIS SITE!!!! :Drogar-Love(DBG):

Hush
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know you did a wonderful job. I actually like it that the camera played as his eyes more instead of showing him to much in the film. Sorry Dustin :grin: Oh and Love the ending line!

Matt Sconce
06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I was totally surprised by the ending. I didn't see it coming. :-) Oh, the ending line totally killed it for me. I did not feel it fit at all. Don't get me wrong though. I enjoyed the short! Good job!

Keystoned
06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
EDIT: oops I posted a review for the wrong film here, lol.

Will watch and review yours next.

Sorry I have a summer cold ... too much cough syrup. :grin:

Dustin R. Rogan
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
EDIT: oops I posted a review for the wrong film here, lol.

Will watch and review yours next.

Sorry I have a summer cold ... too much cough syrup. :grin:

hehe oh well it happens, at least its a bump up on our thread!! :beer:

Dustin R. Rogan
06-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I was totally surprised by the ending. I didn't see it coming. :-) Oh, the ending line totally killed it for me. I did not feel it fit at all. Don't get me wrong though. I enjoyed the short! Good job!

well to each his own right! Thanks at least for watching! :dankk2:

Matt Sconce
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
well to each his own right! Thanks at least for watching! :dankk2:

I want to make sure you understood that I loved the twist, but not the line at the end. I thought you migh have misunderstood me and thought I did not like the end.:) Good job again!

Dustin R. Rogan
06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I want to make sure you understood that I loved the twist, but not the line at the end. I thought you migh have misunderstood me and thought I did not like the end.:) Good job again!

yeah thats what I thought. Thanks for the Kudos!

Shawn Philip Nelson
06-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Lol, i love it! It was quite a long time to set that up, but it was worth it.

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Funny ending and hot HOT lead actress!!! Visually, I loved the opening of the film via the TV monitor. Acting was fine too, but the story itself didn't bowl me over, nor the use of the VO the entire time. Good, fine film, however, and I did enjoy the payoff/ending. :)

Michael_Petro
06-09-2007, 04:50 PM
good job on your short.... I guess i'm one of the few that saw it coming... thats not a bad thing... his last line didnt do it for me... I think just him laying there would have been cool enough..... but it was pretty cool...

Dustin R. Rogan
06-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys for your words of knowledge! I had fun making our first ever film...and glad we've gotten the response we have gotten, and we just weren't ignored hehe...

Edgen
06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
My Thoughts:

ahhh, the music. I dug it. Very chill and drove me in a state of awww watching the film. Then... she has to pull out the gun and I hear the cheesiest sound FX ever and I was immediately taken away. The actress was fun to watch. I dug the use of black and white, but oh so much would have I loved to see what that sky looked like at 2:24. tsk tsk.

Cheers!
/j

gabrielflorit
06-10-2007, 03:20 PM
This had some great shots. I really dug the b/w and the music, very nicely done. The VO... kinda ruined the entry for me. Don't know what it is, either his voice or the recording, it just doesn't work, kept pulling me out of the experience.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
as this fest draws to an end I would like to thank the dvxuser.com community for their constant support and positive words for Gary and myself. I am eagerly waiting by the compy for the next fest announcement....Way to go on the Spyfest everyone, staff and filmmakers! heres to an even better next fest!

Dustin R. Rogan