PDA

View Full Version : A Poll of things to be used in your film

Wild Imagination Films
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Curiosity got me thinking about what "standard" spy film stuff will be getting used. Not trying to get any information from anyone, more of a broad stroke of what we'll be seeing.

I think it would be really interesting to see an entry in which none of the listed items are used.
Discussion?
Debate?
-Will

Ki-Ki
03-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Ki-Ki
2, 3, 6, 9,

dougspice
03-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I actually think it would be totally fascinating to see a Fest in which the rule was "No guns". Might lead to seeing some new and interesting things from people. That said, SpyFest is probably not the time for that rule. :)

As for doing a movie with NONE of those things, well, it'd be hard. Especially since you have "Lead is a male" and "Lead is a female" up there. It would be an interesting short...

Wild Imagination Films
03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I started thinking seriously about the question of none of the 9 items on the list being in the film. I think it can be done. I may do a short with these restrictions.

Ki-Ki
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I have a prop of SPAM in my film...note the thread SPAM in Cafe forum

John LaBonney
03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I actually think it would be totally fascinating to see a Fest in which the rule was "No guns". Might lead to seeing some new and interesting things from people. That said, SpyFest is probably not the time for that rule. :)
I had a film production class in college where the professor said that if any guns were in the film, you would automatically receive an F grade for the project. I believe that it had to do with previous student productions running into problems with the police when shooting outdoor locations, even when they notified the police that they would be shooting and using prop guns. But I agree that guns are often too heavily leaned upon as a plot tool.

However, as you say, SpyFest really isn't the time to institute such a rule. :violent5:

nimbleal
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I started thinking seriously about the question of none of the 9 items on the list being in the film. I think it can be done. I may do a short with these restrictions.

Good idea, although its going to be hard to avoid either 6 or 7. Unless its multi-character based thing so you can claim "i have no clear protagonist".... otherwise my planned entry has none of the other elements, at the moment

John LaBonney
03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Good idea, although its going to be hard to avoid either 6 or 7. Unless its multi-character based thing so you can claim "i have no clear protagonist"....

I think it could be done, such as if the main character was a car or a telephone that came to life.

nimbleal
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
true. that would be interesting... especially if it didn't go into the realms of fantasy. Like a place or a tree or something being the emotional and metaphorical epicenter of the story. The great thai film "Last Life in the Universe" has a house as an important character. You could say 2001 had a computer as the lead.

John LaBonney
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
You could say 2001 had a computer as the lead.

Of course, a computer would violate #5, but yeah, it could be done with something else...

dougspice
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I had a film production class in college where the professor said that if any guns were in the film, you would automatically receive an F grade for the project. I believe that it had to do with previous student productions running into problems with the police when shooting outdoor locations, even when they notified the police that they would be shooting and using prop guns. But I agree that guns are often too heavily leaned upon as a plot tool.

Right, we had the same rule. And it was for safety reasons. You could get around it if you put in enough effort or took the risk of being failed (which I did, on a couple occasions). On the one hand it made for more interesting movies overall, and on the second hand it helped fewer people get in serious trouble with the law. But a school has certain legal and PR culpability that a message board doesn't.

FutureDVXUser
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Ninja Turtles wont use a male or female as a lead role... Well, not the male or female everybody is referring to... :)

Wild Imagination Films
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Christine, Jaws, ET, Watership Down, Alien, Predator, Orka. Leads were not even human.
Sci-Fi or Fantasy would lend itself more readily to the non-gender role. This could be either really interesting or very trite.
Guns are a tridky subject. An interesting note on the subject. What do you think would happen if guns had to be really silly looking or pink? Do you think people would still accept them? Isn't it odd how only assault rifles were banned when they are less accurate than a dear rifle? It was actually the assault style weapons banned by the bill. I think it's not a very smart idea to say all "toy" guns have to have a blaze orange tip. I could paint the tip of my TEC 9mm blaze orange and everyone would think it was a toy. Think of the damage this could do. But this is for another time and place. Only related to this thread because most of us will use guns in our short film. For this reason, we will notify law enforcement, wear reflective film crew vests, etc.
I am going to write and film a short "Spyfest" entry in which none of the 9 elements are used.
I hope everyone will enjoy it.
-Will

John LaBonney
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I am going to write and film a short "Spyfest" entry in which none of the 9 elements are used.

Will:

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Good luck!

DJ Lewis
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
So everyone is doing chicks with guns except Will? I hope no femi-nazis catch wind of this!

dougspice
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Wow, yeah, a whole lotta chicks with guns. I like chicks and guns as much as the next guy, but I hope there's some twists on these films!

Wild Imagination Films
03-13-2007, 01:24 AM
This is somewhat how I thought it would play out, but I didn't really expect the high percentage of female leads.
But hey, I'm not complaining, I dig chicks with guns.

Wild Imagination Films
03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
over 45 entries,
over 200 views,
and only twelve voted?!?!?

Jay Rodriguez
03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
nice, there's going to be lots of guns! LOL

FiddlerMD
03-19-2007, 09:06 AM
i am specifically NOT using guns .. my killing will be done much more brutally .. guns no longer seem to have that "GASP!" effect :)
have fun!

AmyO
03-24-2007, 04:22 PM
I haven't officially announced my entry into the fest (still finishing up the script), but I won't be using any weapons at all. I do, however, have plans for many cool gadgets.

Ralph Oshiro
03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Always looking for an excuse to shoot chicks with guns, and THIS IS IT! Gonna try to pull off some fast car driving shooting too!

-zach-
03-25-2007, 12:30 AM
In the event that we're able to pull it off (see movie thread),

Male as Lead

Computer

Cell phones

Destruction, not necessarily explosion.

Gord.T
03-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Guns, girls and beer. Maybe some rock & roll. lol. Just kidding.
Violence for sure. Girls (sooo non violent) for balance. No beer in our flick (this time...yet).No R&R this time out. And a quote from -zach- "In the event that we're able to pull it off ". Explosions? yepperrrr. Lead role is a male. (That violence thing again).

kurtmo
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
We'll be using cell phone, computer, car chase (though slow speed, not high speed), and explosions. I was just about to say no guns, when I remembered a small part with my 7 yo using a wooden rifle cut from a 2x4. Does that count?

Michael_Petro
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
how can chicks with guns be only 18% come on people its spyfest.... seriously chicks with guns :beer: did i mention chicks with guns! how bout chicks in boots and mini skirts doin the truckdriver dance or whatever the hell its called:beer:

http://phoenixbutterflyfilms.com/truckdriver.jpg

Ralph Oshiro
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Whoa!

Michael_Petro
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Whoa!

thats what I said :)

MojoTrancer
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Guns, Female lead, a helicopter, an elevator built from scratch, lots of paperwork, and a deadly pair of sunglasses.