http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176773621.jpg

UPDATE: MORE BTS FROM PRODUCTION NIGHT 1
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176777336.jpg
UPDATE: ADR SESSION 1
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10327/1178148429.jpg

Matt Sconce
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
UPDATE:

Well, We have been silent for a while recovering from what was a very long and hard time for us. We decided after a lengthy discussion, There was simply no way to accomplish the massive renders we needed to do for Sleeper in the amount of time we had.

We spent so much time focusing on trying to get the renders to work we neglected color correction, other effects, cut away shots....and basically a whole ton more!

Regardless, Mark and I decided that you all have been a part of Sleeper from day one so we felt we needed to post our in progress version of the movie for the competition, and include you in this step as well.

Here is what still needs to be finished:

1. Color Correction

2. All Effects Re rendered extremely high end, and perfectly masked as well.

3. Creature created to replace the place holder paint drawing at end.

4. Rain added to all rain scenes.

5. Rain animated to move off of the bodies of the people and objects inserted into scene.

6. Rain slowed for final effect.

7. All green screens keyed and replaced with environments.

8. 3D Table in vault built with rotating microchip holder, and fold out compartments holding the cash.

9. Cash put in the suitcase.

10. Vault scene finished.

11. Computer screens replaced with high tech stuff. Sound effects added.

12. Transition effect betwen vault close of suitcase and garage close of suitcase.

13. Foreground added to garage (steam from pipes, water droplets)

14. Scene in stairwell added back in, with effects.

15. Crane pull stabilized.

16. Shane jumping from garage behind Paige in alleyway (Right before she looks back)

17. Rain starting in scene by fence.

18. Cutaways added in scene after fence.

19 Lightning in sky before the push to Paige arriving at the fence.

20. Tracking matting and animating a High End Weapon Model. with SFX.

21. Refining throw with high end model.

22. Add weapon cuting through rain Slow Mo.

23. Have sword cut the weapon in half as a piece of it flies over Shane's shoulder leaving trails of smoke and fire.

24. Sync Audio and Music to correct cues.

25. Create shockwave that is shown now by a placeholder.

26. Create credits that compliment the actors crew and the movie itself.

27. bring more highness to girls voice.

28. All lightning and other cutaways completed.

29. Light in tattoo animated.

30. Screen animated to shake with tattoo energy.

31. Rope removed from scenes.

32. Wall added to make the other side of the alleyway.

33. Glowing eyes for person's transition to monster.

34. Ghosting effect for person's tranformation (transparent skin type thingy)

35. Removal of mattress and boots from scene.

36. Adding back the apartment pull out reveal to elevator agt start of film.

37. FINAL CC PASS

38. FINAL AUDIO PASS

These are the things we were trying to get done. I hope you enjoy our work in progress version of Sleeper. The High End version will be shown later when it has been completed.

Watch this rough effects first pass after the movies start showing and let us know what you think?

UPDATE: FIREPOWER
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1177718577.jpg
UPDATE: EVEN MORE BTS FROM PRODUCTION NIGHT 2
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176996469.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176996521.jpg
UPDATE: More BTS Stills
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1177027632.jpg

UPDATE: Directors meet Composer Chance Thomas
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1175798537.jpg
UPDATE: Crew Shots of Mark, Matt and Chance
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1175701824.jpg
UPDATE: CAST PHOTOS
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1175556609.jpg

UPDATE: BTS POSTER PHOTO SHOOT
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1175030029.jpg
UPDATE: ROUGH STORYBOARDS
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1174590772.jpg

WOO FRIGGIN HOO!

IT’S OFFICIAL! OSCAR, EMMY, AURORA (and many more) WINNING composer, Chance
Thomas, signs on as composer for SLEEPER.

A little background…
I had the extreme pleasure of working with Chance at Sierra On-Line on such
games as SWAT2, Quest for Glory V – Dragonfire and then several years later,
Chance and I worked together again at VIVENDI UNIVERSAL GAMES where he served as
the Tolkien Franchise Music Director and I served as the Tolkien Franchise Art
Director.

Chance composed the music for the short animated film Attack of the Chubb
Chubb’s (Sony Pictures) which opened for Men in Black 2 in the theatres, won
several festivals and eventually took the OSCAR for best animated short at the
75th Annual Academy Awards.

Chance has since worked on games such as Peter Jackson’s KING KONG and many
others. For more information on Chance please feel free to visit his site and
sample some of his incredible music at

HUGESOUND.com (http://www.hugesound.com/)

It is our extreme pleasure to work with Chance we are certain that this new addition to our team will take this project to whole new
level.

Welcome aboard Chance,

Matt and Mark

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Ahaaaa! I been waiting for you to post. Your banners been interesting me for a while now.

Larry Rutledge
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I am SO looking forward to your entry Matt! Good luck :thumbsup:

Edgen
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
wew hew! Good luck with your film Matt! I'm sure it'll be stellar as usual.

Cheers!
/j

Jazz Dog
03-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Spyfest is cool. Can't wait to see it....

Mark T. Aro
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, we are going at it from a new angle... SLEEPER, the story of a very tired spy!

:grin: (a little sarcasm!)

Matt Sconce
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Yep, we are going at it from a new angle... SLEEPER, the story of a very tired spy!

:grin: (a little sarcasm!)

Mark! You gave it away! :lipsrseal

-zach-
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Every time I look at the sig,

that chick reminds me of Keira Knightley, but just for a second.

Norm Sanders
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, she's got a GREAT look. Love the banner & looking forward to this ... a lot! :beer:

Matt Sconce
03-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks everyone! Mark and I are working hard to make something great. Stay tuned.

Aaron Marshall
03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Matt, I'm looking forward to seeing this film. Who is the girl in the banner? She looks very familiar.

Matt Sconce
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
update to main page

Matt Sconce
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Thank you all for the comments. Mark and I are working hard at the moment setting up shooting dates and fleshing out the awesome story that is "Sleeper". This is the biggest thing I have ever attempted and I cannot wait to be able to show you. Keep checking back as we will be updating and replying frequently.

Matt Sconce
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Matt, I'm looking forward to seeing this film. Who is the girl in the banner? She looks very familiar.
She is a graphic mock up of our Lead, Paige. We will be replacing the picture with paiges when we have our promo photoshoot.:laugh:

Kyle Stebbins
03-10-2007, 11:12 AM
yaaay paige!!! she rocks!!!!!

leogardini
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Matt, did you forget about me or am I late:smile:???

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Great looking cast!

Ted Arabian
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Matt and Mark, good luck to you! Given the incredible production values of Stricken, I am sure that this will be incredible!

Looking very forward to this!

-Ted

Matt Sconce
03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Matt and Mark, good luck to you! Given the incredible production values of Stricken, I am sure that this will be incredible!

Looking very forward to this!

-Ted

Thanks for the kind words! I must say the same can be said for you my friend.

I can gaurantee one thing about this. It will definitely rock. I have a hard time sleeping or working because I can't this out of my mind. You will want to have this one on the must see list. I will keep you updated as we move on. :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Great looking cast!

Thanks!! Not only do they look amazing but they can act too! fancy that!?:thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
yaaay paige!!! she rocks!!!!!
Paige is a great actress and a beautiful girl. We auditioned a lot of girls for this role, and Mark and I believe Paige will be brilliant here. She is excited as well.:grin:

Ted Arabian
03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I must say the same can be said for you my friend.

I can gaurantee one thing about this. It will definitely rock. I have a hard time sleeping or working because I can't this out of my mind. You will want to have this one on the must see list. I will keep you updated as we move on. :thumbsup:
That's awesome. I am desperately trying to get my story together and get to that stage. Right now, I have a basic concept and am working on a script. I can't wait to have that part done so I can get excited about shooting it!

Good luck to you, man. Very intrigued!

-Ted

Matt Sconce
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
That's awesome. I am desperately trying to get my story together and get to that stage. Right now, I have a basic concept and am working on a script. I can't wait to have that part done so I can get excited about shooting it!

Good luck to you, man. Very intrigued!

-Ted

Good luck with that Ted!

Mark and I are developing a poster and we are locking in the story board this week. After that, it is time for Wardrobe finalization. We already have our shoot dates, so we will then be rockin!:costumed-smiley-047 Woohoo!

Mark T. Aro
03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Hello All!

I just updated the SLEEPER banner with a few small snippets from our first photo shoot as well as an image of one of our locations. The photos of Paige are pre-wardrobe.

I am very visual, so I like to take various cast pics (when cast is available) and then I can mess with them in photo shop and in pencil to work out the wardrobe look and feel. Once that is done, we will nail down the wardrobe, do a fitting and then set up a final photoshoot for marketing purposes (IE: Final Banner, Poster, ETC.). The previous banner was made prior to nailing down our cast so this one is the first of many images with our cast members.

As Matt eluded earlier, we are finalizing story and nailing down the graphic/post production needs for each shot while working out storyboards. We should have finished boards later this week. If we do, we may post a couple of images for your viewing pleasure.

I won't reveal details, but we will have a lot of highend compositing (using Autodesk Combustion), set extension/Matte paintings (digital matte paintings using various software packages) and a modest amount of fairly high end 3D (3DS MAX) just a bit, but it should rock.

We will post more soon.

Enjoy!

Tom Marshall
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Every time I look at the sig,

that chick reminds me of Keira Knightley, but just for a second.

That's weird... she just reminds me of a really hot blonde :Drogar-Love(DBG):

Good luck, Matt! :beer:

Matt Sconce
03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello All!

I just updated the SLEEPER banner with a few small snippets from our first photo shoot as well as an image of one of our locations. The photos of Paige are pre-wardrobe.

I am very visual, so I like to take various cast pics (when cast is available) and then I can mess with them in photo shop and in pencil to work out the wardrobe look and feel. Once that is done, we will nail down the wardrobe, do a fitting and then set up a final photoshoot for marketing purposes (IE: Final Banner, Poster, ETC.). The previous banner was made prior to nailing down our cast so this one is the first of many images with our cast members.

As Matt eluded earlier, we are finalizing story and nailing down the graphic/post production needs for each shot while working out storyboards. We should have finished boards later this week. If we do, we may post a couple of images for your viewing pleasure.

I won't reveal details, but we will have a lot of highend compositing (using Autodesk Combustion), set extension/Matte paintings (digital matte paintings using various software packages) and a modest amount of fairly high end 3D (3DS MAX) just a bit, but it should rock.

We will post more soon.

Enjoy!

Updated Sig. I love this guy! Mark is the man:beer:

Matt Sconce
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Mark and I just had a late night Denny's session and have the story blocked and flowing. Tomorrow we start to finesse the script. I got chills tonight. Dude, I am sooo excited!

Kyle Stebbins
03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
sooooo puuummmpppped!!!!! lovely banner. lovely cast. did i mention i was pumped?

Matt Sconce
03-13-2007, 09:39 AM
sooooo puuummmpppped!!!!! lovely banner. lovely cast. did i mention i was pumped?

I am so glad you are excited. I am Pumped as well.

Mark and I were perusing weapons in a catalog today. There are some awesome options on the horizon.

We will be doing that finessing of dialogue in a couple hours.

A poster is in the works as well and the concept creation is progressing.

Wardrobe is also starting to move, as I give the base model jacket to the wardrobe designer to build from. We have also talked about the character's looks and have them almost completely locked in. Concept sketches will follow.

When we have some things locked in with Mark's sketches and designs, we will be posting some of them. Keep checking back and get excited! I know we are!:dankk2:

Matt Sconce
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
WARNING: What you read below may cause you to laugh or possibly sigh and shake your head. We accept all the headshaking as we claim all of this was in the name of the spyfest and for the greater good...... except the greater good of Mark's wallet: :cheesy:

The Story:
Mark and I decided to go location scouting at lunch today. We had a great location picked out but wanted to have a backup plan. We jumped into my Blue Mini Van and headed downtown.
After looking for almost our entire break, with a few small successes, we saw a promising place by some railroad tracks. The building was next to a parking lot and we observed that the entrance to the parking lot appeared to have a speed bump blocking the entire entrance.
Upon seeing this, we both concurred that a speed bump was a minor obstacle for two intrepid location scouts and we pulled forward, only to discover the speed bump was in fact a curb blocking the parking lot from access. Figuring the entrance was the other way on the one way street we thought of a perfect plan. We would try to roll over the curb using a slightly lower dirt ramp that led up to one of its corners.
Little by little we inched the wheels forward and right as we were about to drop into the lot, we remembered how much we weighed. The van dropped over, grinding the bottom of the van against the curb and then the rear wheels dropped, bashing the bumper against it as well.
Having survived the incident, and brought the van out almost unscathed, we were quite pleased with ourselves, until we realized we had happened into a secured lot (which was not even connected to the locations) with no way out except through a toll booth with a ticket!
I had no cash so after Mark paid the attendant, who despite our pleas, would not let us out without paying, we drove off shaking our heads. Oh, the crazy adventures we go through in the name of moviemaking.:thumbsup:

Norm Sanders
03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Ha, funny story indeed! Thanks for sharing ... I can imagine the embarrassment AND frustration at the whole thing ... only to have a good story to tell after the fact & then be able to laugh about it. :)

Mark T. Aro
03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Well.... only after we were long gone did I think, "Crap! I should've asked for a reciept so I could right it off in production costs". After all $7 is $7. Hey this is indie film... every dollar counts.

Matt Sconce
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
WOW! We have a meeting with the film comissioner tomorrow to talk about our project. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. If he signs off on our locations and plans, this will seriously rock.

Ki-Ki
03-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a real piss off, though i guess its one of those things where you look back at it years down the line and think...wow, and laugh at yourselves.

Sounds like something I would do.

Mark T. Aro
03-13-2007, 03:26 PM
WOW! We have a meeting with the film comissioner tomorrow to talk about our project. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. If he signs off on our locations and plans, this will seriously rock.

Yep... so hopefully they wont require a ton of money for permits and all that nonsense. If they do... well... we will shoot there anyway, but more covertly!

I mean... um... we will find a better local.... yeah, that's what I meant!:D

Matt Sconce
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Yep... so hopefully they wont require a ton of money for permits and all that nonsense. If they do... well... we will shoot there anyway, but more covertly!

I mean... um... we will find a better local.... yeah, that's what I meant!:D

I am printing some Stricken DVDs to give to the Mayor and the film comissioner tomorrow. Man, I am a little nervous, but excited too. May 30th is coming up much too fast for graphics work....:violin:

Mark T. Aro
03-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I am printing some Stricken DVDs to give to the Mayor and the film comissioner tomorrow. Man, I am a little nervous, but excited too. May 30th is coming up much too fast for graphics work....:violin:

For anyone interested... our Mayor is Alan Autry
IMDB http://imdb.com/name/nm0042641/

... he has done some acting and he was a regular a number of years ago on a show called "In the Heat of the Night". I ran into him the other night and pitch our plight for great locations, but told him that we can't afford much for permits and insurance... long story short, he assured me that they want filmakers to make films here in Central California, so they will do everything that can to support us. We should see tomorrow... if it is all hot air. (Fingers crossed).

Ted Arabian
03-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh, man... quite a story about the parking lot! I was afraid that you were going to end it with an oil pan cap lying on the ground! Thankfully not. $7 is much better than a ripped up oil pan! Still must have been very frustrating... but amusing.

Good luck with the commish!

Larry Rutledge
03-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Mark, I wondered if you guys had made any connections with Mayor Autry. I saw him on TV a while back, talking about filmmaking in the central valley.

I've got my fingers crossed!!

Matt Sconce
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Mark, I wondered if you guys had made any connections with Mayor Autry. I saw him on TV a while back, talking about filmmaking in the central valley.

Thanks Larry! We go into the meeting in an hour. I have my resume, Stricken, and photos from several of the sets I have been on showing Mark and I in Action as well as stills from Stricken. I have dressed nicely, and hopefully, Mark and I will come across as professionals and make a good first impression. First impressions are critical. :thumbsup:

Mark T. Aro
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
YES! I LOVE MAKING FILMS!!!

Well, the meeting went very well.

I had a client show up yesterday and I edited video from 6:00 pm last night to 5:30 am this morning and she got on a plane to Maryland at 6:30 and I went home. Long story short, I was dragging my butt, wondering if I was going to be worth a damn for our meeting at noon. Well a few hours sleep does wonders. The meeting with the Film Comissioner went really well. He was very excited and supportive and in short, we have verbal approval on permits and they will have paperwork for us to review in the next day or so and permits in two weeks or so. Which works great for us with our current shooting schedule.

Permits will cost us nothing and if we need to block off a street or something, all we have to pay for is the cops that will need to be placed at the barricades ($70 an hour). We wont need that for our project (this time), but the first thought through my head was "Crap, I wonder if we can pull off a car chase.....?", but I reeled it back in and kept repeating... "Stick to the plan!"

Matt is swamped with work right now so there will probably be more from him later, but in short... the film Comish likes us... he loves the fact that we aren't two guys with a $100 camcorder and delusions of grandeur. They are very supportive and committed to making Filmmaking in Central California, cost effective and attractive to filmakers.

It rocks for us, because we are in on the ground floor with this new initiative so hopefully we will make a good impression and make them look good as well as create a relationship that will make our future projects run smoothly. It doesn't hurt that our Mayor has ties to Hollywood and he sees the benefit of not only filming in this area, but creating resources and services that make it easy for filmgoers to work in this area.

Sorry for being long-winded! :grin: Can you tell that I (we) are excited.

More soon...

Mark T. Aro
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Larry,

I don't know if we have expressed it here, but Matt and I both work in local broadcasting. The Mayor and the Police Chief we in a couple of weeks ago for a live 11:00 news interview on Gang Task Force or something like that I was stuck at the office working late. I normally have the news playing in the background, but I was focused on getting my work done and getting home to my family. My wife called and said, "Are you watching the news... is it LIVE? Is the Mayor their?" In short, I ceased an opportunity, escorted him to his car and plugged our project. He was very supportive. He said that they would do everything in the power to help us be successful with our project(s). Well It took a couple of weeks to hear back, but so far he is as good as his word!

The funny thing is... the side project that I just edited last night was produced by a good friend of his and the main figure through out the 7 minute promotional piece is Mayor Autry. Hopefully she will share it when she gets back and if it goes well, we may develop a relationship with him as well that could of course benefit our future projects and hopefully our city we see some success and good press too... so HOPEFULLY we wont suck and embarrass everyone. NO PRESSURE EH! :undecided

Ted Arabian
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Also news Mark! AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!

-Ted

Larry Rutledge
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Fantastic! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/hells/more/23_6_102.gif

Matt Sconce
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
so HOPEFULLY we wont suck and embarrass everyone. NO PRESSURE EH! :undecided

Exactly! :shocked:

Larry Rutledge
03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
If this film is half as good as STRICKEN, then it won't suck. This is going to be fantastic!! :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
If this film is half as good as STRICKEN, then it won't suck. This is going to be fantastic!! :thumbsup:

In my opinion...this film will bury Stricken. That is alot coming from me, the guy who made it! That is why this is so exciting! Just wait. Woohoo!
Shooting dates are locked down and wardrobe is progressing. I am busy and stressed a bit but what is new? This is awesome stuff!:engel017:

Mark T. Aro
03-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I think that most everyone will be pleasantly surprised. I say most everyone because there is always someone who wont like it... but bottom line for us is at the end of the day if WE enjoy watching it... then it was worth the effort. I never want to make films to please other people, but if it is something that I would watch, then that is a good start. :D

Matt Sconce
03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
LOCATION CONFIRMED!!!!

One of our key locations in Downtown Fresno was approved by the owner today! It gets REALLY rough at night so we will have police at the shoot.

The other location is owned by the city and we have been assured we can film there. So most of our locations are locked and loaded!

A new lens and a couple other equipment purchases came in recently so our gear has been upgraded. We now have the capability to adjust iris, focus and zoom from the bottom of our crane.

Things are continuing to line up. :grin: :beer:

Matt Sconce
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Now that the locations are almost locked in, we finally have time to focus on refining the final draft of the script. Tonight is the night we can finally lock down the story dialogue. I'll let you know how it goes!

Larry Rutledge
03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Matt - Let me know if you need a "fresh set of eyes" to look over your script.

Charli
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Matt - wear body armour, or better yet, buy some of that bullet proof clothing that drug lords wear, well, okay, they are a bit pricey, so back to body armour. You be careful, now, ya hear? The moment you hear a "whizzz" sound, duck! Good luck.

RebeccaD
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
GREAT NEWS, GUYS!! Congrats! So nice to have good connections. Way to use those networking skills!

Matt Sconce
03-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Matt - wear body armour, or better yet, buy some of that bullet proof clothing that drug lords wear, well, okay, they are a bit pricey, so back to body armour. You be careful, now, ya hear? The moment you hear a "whizzz" sound, duck! Good luck.

This is hilarious! I will do my best to not get killed before delivering Sleeper, and if Mark and I do get shot, hopefully it is in the arm or something and not the HVX.
We were walking to take BTS shots today of one location and we walked behind a building into an alleyway to find that there were several thugs sitting there, obviously not wanting to be disturbed. Mark and I kept walking but we both agreed that if they had attacked, I would chuck the HVX to Mark and he would run like the blazes. I would stay and sacrifice my body for my beloved camera....haha, just kidding, I have three black belts so we really should have turned the camera on and taped the outcome.
But yes Charli, if I hear whizzes I will hit the dirt. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, but it is also true that the Bullet is mightier than my fist. :violent5:

GREAT NEWS, GUYS!! Congrats! So nice to have good connections. Way to use those networking skills!

Thank! We are really trying. It would be a joy to work with you someday. I respect your work a lot. It is amazing how things are lining up for Mark and I to work together. Great things are happening and we have discovered you have to get out there and make them happen. pound the pavement and take "Talking about it" to "doing something about it". Everyone in this contest is doing the same thing and I respect these contests for that. They help people make things instead of simply dream. That is how I felt after Stricken and I know Mark and I will feel the same way after Sleeper.:thumbsup: :grin:

UPDATE ON PROGRESS:

POSTER CONCEPTS DONE! STORY STREAMLINED AND LOCKED! STORYBOARD ROUGHS PROGRESSING. SCRIPT PROGRESSING. MOST LOCATIONS LOCKED. CAST. EQUIPMENT PURCHASED AND DELIVERED. CREW AQUIRED. SHOOTING DATES LOCKED.:engel017:

Mark T. Aro
03-16-2007, 08:04 AM
What Matt is not telling is that his Dad is a Sheriff and he will be armed, he has another sheriff friend that will most likely be there and will be armed and if all goes well his two NINJA SWORD fighting buddies (No Really!!!) will be there and Matt, oh humble Matt is no slouch either. Mark on the other hand has been sitting at a computer for over a decade and if I could fight through a mouse or game controller, I would be super ninja dude but unfortunately that is not the case.

However, the mischievous side of me is tempted to inadvertently start something and like Matt mentioned, turn the camera on and see what happens. But alas, the real thing is rarely as interesting as make believe. It is usually over too fast..... hmmm we always have 60 fps. But then there is the whole concience and morality thing! No.... I will stay focussed. :happy:

jeremytuttle
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Sweet guys, sounds like things are really falling into place for this one. I really liked Stricken so I can't wait to see what you do for this one.

Matt, what kind of lens did you get?

Matt Sconce
03-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Sweet guys, sounds like things are really falling into place for this one. I really liked Stricken so I can't wait to see what you do for this one.

Matt, what kind of lens did you get?

Thanks Jeremy! I just purchased a Nikon 28mm f/2.8 lens. I have shot everything to this point with a 50 mm on the M2 adapter. Now I also have a 28 which will allow us wider shots and more creative freedom. We also intermix HVX stock shots. If you do it right, no one notices. This is how Stricken was done. :tongue:

Mark T. Aro
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
:violin:
LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD

Well if I take anything away from this experience it will be the above statement. I have always said that it is not always the most talented, gifted or creative that find success, but rather it is the bold. Those that go for broke all the time and with every failing get back up and try again. Those that are not timid or worried about what people will say or whether they will hear NO! Every success or rather every door that has opened to us lately (and there are so many) is due to BOLDNESS.

Well we am putting this statement to the test. We encourage you all to do the same. Hold nothing back, put everything you can imagine into what you do and most of all don't be afraid to hear NO. You will and if you realize that now and move on, the more success you are bound to have. The quicker you get the NO's over with, the quicker you will get to the YES's. NO wont kill you and it should never stop you from trying but FEAR will kill your dreams and your plans. So we are testing the above statement once again.

I am biting my nails. I have been struggling with the thought of our musical score. Music can make or break a film. It is as vital as the visuals and story are. I have a friend/former associate that I have worked with a couple of times over the years and I really would like to get him to do our music. Our wives are much closer than we are, we are both reclusive in our own ways, so we seldom talk. He is a very big fish in the gaming industry and in my opinion one of the best if not the best composer in gaming today. He has won more awards than you can imagine (not just in gaming) and when it gets right down to it, he is very talented.

Well last night Matt and I were working on the script and doing some concepts for the poster all while talking about music. Matt mentioned several very talented folks here on the list and I just keep going back to my friend. Literally as we were discussing this a friend of Matt's called and told us that he knows of the perfect guy to do our music.... your guessed it, it was my friend. Well the hesitation is that we are very low budget, as I am sure most of you are and I would almost feel embarrassed to ask this guy to work for nothing, but I just can't get it out of my head. So I finally summoned the courage and sent him an email and just asked him what he would charge and would he be interested and more importantly available.

Well I haven't heard back yet, but I feel a little better now that I finally approached him directly. Either way we will keep going, but I will be glad when we hear one way or another. Please keep us in your thoughts.

More to come...

Larry Rutledge
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
There is truth to the statement, "You have not because you ask not". And, if you don't ask, then you've already received your answer.

Good luck on landing the talent you feel will best serve your project.

Mark T. Aro
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM
There is truth to the statement, "You have not because you ask not". And, if you don't ask, then you've already received your answer.

Good luck on landing the talent you feel will best serve your project.

Thanks Man... I know his work well and I just hear it in my head when I think of this project. So hopefully he will see something worth while in our modest production. He's a great guy, but he is usually very busy, so we shall see. Either way, we won't have to tell ourselves later, "WE SHOULD'VE..."

Mark T. Aro
03-16-2007, 05:35 PM
UPDATED MAIN THREAD, READ DETAILS BELOW:

WOO FRIGGIN HOO!

A little background…
Chance and I worked together again at VIVENDI UNIVERSAL GAMES where he served as
Director.

HUGESOUND.com (http://www.hugesound.com)

It is our extreme pleasure to work with Chance we are certain that this new addition to our team will take this project to whole new
level.

Welcome aboard Chance,

Matt and Mark

Edgen
03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
hey hey!! Congrats on the "Score" for the "Score" :) He's got some pretty badass music and no doubt will bring LOTS to the table on this one.

/j

Geoff_R
03-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Congrats guys! I'm listening to some of his music right now, it's great!

Mark T. Aro
03-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Guys! Yes he is very talented. What I really like is that a lot of his stuff is a combination of digital and live punched-in instruments. He balances the two very well, but it allows him to do a very high-end composition for a reasonable cost and effort.

Check out the LOTR samples, one of my favorite ones is Fanfare of Pelennor it can be found in the CHORAL section of his player. The cool thing about the LOTR stuff is that he used some of the vocalists from the Mormon Tabernacle Chior. It sounds so amazing. Again, he did it on a game dev budget which is a fraction of what you would spend for a feature.

Yeah, I am a big fan of his work. It is a great honor to be rubbing elbows with him.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Matt Sconce
03-17-2007, 12:15 AM
UPDATED MAIN THREAD, READ DETAILS BELOW:

WOO FRIGGIN HOO!

A little background…
Director.

HUGESOUND.com (http://www.hugesound.com)

level.

Welcome aboard Chance,

Matt and Mark

Everytime I read this, I have to remind myself it is really happening. I am beyond stoked about it!

Matt Sconce
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Updated Shane's pic on main page.

Matt Sconce
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Update: We are shopping for Paige's wardrobe on Wednesday. The promo photo shoot will be a couple days later. We meet Chance Thomas on April 2nd (a day before my birthday!) and will film the meeting for behind the scenes purposes. Storyboard samples will be up soon and then concept sketches. There will be a contest involved as we release our posters, with prizes. Stay tuned.

TimurCivan
03-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Ahhhhhh i wander into spyfest, and this is what i find..... The master himself..... ready to ROCK.

Good luck MAtt.

Charli
03-18-2007, 08:24 AM
I LOVE the Chubbs Chubbs. Woooo. Congrats on the composer, what a cool score.

Mark T. Aro
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Guys,

Chance is a dream to work with. I am confident that we will be very pleased with the end result.

On a side note, my brother is a professional sound engineer with his own studio so we are playing the family card (he is being very good to us and tolerant of his younger brother, thanks bro) and we will do ADR, SFX and Foley at his digs. Oh what fun this all is.... It makes it so hard to focus on the day job.

I keep trying to tell myself that if I finish "A and B" at work, then as a reward I get to work on storyboards or script or something SLEEPER related. So far so good! I do believe that I am wearing my wife's patience a little thin. After awhile I can literally see her eyes glaze over, but she humors me! Well, I am an at the office on a Sunday so I had better get some work done so I can get back on to costume concepts and storyboards.... oh what fun!!!!!

Matt Sconce
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks Guys,

Chance is a dream to work with. I am confident that we will be very pleased with the end result.

On a side note, my brother is a professional sound engineer with his own studio so we are playing the family card (he is being very good to us and tolerant of his younger brother, thanks bro) and we will do ADR, SFX and Foley at his digs. Oh what fun this all is.... It makes it so hard to focus on the day job.

I keep trying to tell myself that if I finish "A and B" at work, then as a reward I get to work on storyboards or script or something SLEEPER related. So far so good! I do believe that I am wearing my wife's patience a little thin. After awhile I can literally see her eyes glaze over, but she humors me! Well, I am an at the office on a Sunday so I had better get some work done so I can get back on to costume concepts and storyboards.... oh what fun!!!!!

Keep it rockin Mark! I hope you have time to finish some awesomeness!

Matt Sconce
03-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Ahhhhhh i wander into spyfest, and this is what i find..... The master himself..... ready to ROCK.

Good luck MAtt.

I am flattered. Thanks Timur, that means a lot especially coming from the master himself. We are hoping this short will change the face of our movie making. It is extremely ambitious but, "when" we pull it off, you will understand what I mean.:violent5:

Heather
03-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, what can I say. I'm Matt's wife and so I'm definitely experiencing all of this first hand. I have to hand it to the Sconce/Aro team. They are like a whole brain that was split at birth and has slowly been finding it's way back together. :happy: hehe! but seriously...the short is going to be amazing and with me as their AD, I'm sure it'll be a success...HA! I can't wait! Hooray for Sleeper!! (can you tell it's late and I've lost a lot of sleep?):embarasse

keep at it boys!!

love,
Heather:engel017:

Norm Sanders
03-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Awesome to have such wonderful support from your wife, and way to go Heather for chiming in here!! What can I say ... I'm envious, lol.

Now to just get my wife to want to log in ...

Mark T. Aro
03-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Okay... here goes! What Heather didn't tell you is that she has been teasing us about acting like a couple of big kids asking to play and getting so excited everytime we do something else on this project... so tonight, when I came over to look at a peice of costume that Matt picked up tonight, I asked in my best kid voice, "X'CUSE me maam... can Matt play!" Well we geeked out with some cool toys that he recently picked up which you wont see till after Sleeper is done, but it is beyond cool! Anyhoo, the costume stuff rocked and you will see bits of some of it soon. Maybe....:happy:

Anyway... both the wives are very supportive and excited. They have been great about letting us work on this at all hours. Thanks ladies.

Matt Sconce
03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Okay... here goes! What Heather didn't tell you is that she has been teasing us about acting like a couple of big kids asking to play and getting so excited everytime we do something else on this project... so tonight, when I came over to look at a peice of costume that Matt picked up tonight, I asked in my best kid voice, "X'CUSE me maam... can Matt play!" Well we geeked out with some cool toys that he recently picked up which you wont see till after Sleeper is done, but it is beyond cool! Anyhoo, the costume stuff rocked and you will see bits of some of it soon. Maybe....:happy:

Anyway... both the wives are very supportive and excited. They have been great about letting us work on this at all hours. Thanks ladies.

Yep, the wifeys have been awesome! The costuming seriously rocks.... We also developed more to our ending tonight. I can't wait!:nads:

Edgen
03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Somethings.... you just keep to yourself.

j/k

I agree.. you guys seem like you've got a wonderful support system. It's great to see the excitement brewing strong and to see such a strong passion for this particular project. It's got me stoked to really see it now :)

/j

Mark T. Aro
03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree.. you guys seem like you've got a wonderful support system. It's great to see the excitement brewing strong and to see such a strong passion for this particular project. It's got me stoked to really see it now :)

/j
I feel the same way about yours! There is just something inherint in all of the images that you have shown so far... I really like the look and feel from your banner to the yard. There is a really nice, crisp look to it all. Crisp isn't quite right, but I can't quite put my finger on it other than that, I just really like the feel of it. So I am stoked to see what you put together too.

Matt Sconce
03-19-2007, 02:55 PM
UPDATE: We go shopping for Paige's wardrobe on Wednesday, and it will definitely be popular with the guys. The poster shoot is Friday and hopefully the first poster will appear sometime next week.

Mark T. Aro
03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah and we will probably show some character concept work and story boards at the same time. nothing to story revealing, but enough to get a glimpse.

TimurCivan
03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, what can I say. I'm Matt's wife and so I'm definitely experiencing all of this first hand. I have to hand it to the Sconce/Aro team. They are like a whole brain that was split at birth and has slowly been finding it's way back together. :happy: hehe! but seriously...the short is going to be amazing and with me as their AD, I'm sure it'll be a success...HA! I can't wait! Hooray for Sleeper!! (can you tell it's late and I've lost a lot of sleep?):embarasse

keep at it boys!!

love,
Heather:engel017:

Lol Film Wife........ I feel for you.... God Give you strength for putting up with us Camera nerds....

Matt Sconce
03-19-2007, 09:14 PM
My name is Matt Sconce...and I am a camera-a-holic......

Matt Sconce
03-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Last night was productive. It was another late night Denny's run. Mark and I were able to get the script almost completely ironed out. We were using Final Draft 7. The nice thing about it, is it reads your text back to you in a variety of assignable voices, so you can see how long it runs.
Mark was able to work on concept sketches as well. Wednesday is the last of the wardrobe shopping, as we were able to get Shane's wardrobe yesterday.

Mark T. Aro
03-20-2007, 07:40 AM
.... another late night Denny's run...

Bottomless HOT CHOCOLATE... Lifes sweet nector!

Matt Sconce
03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I have decided to hard mount the HVX and the M2 Redrock for this movie. That way, I do not lose focus, when the camera is moved. The M2 has been amazing for me and I am sure this will make it even more accurate. I will also be taking it apart and examining if the spinning glass is set corectly. I will need spot on focus for what we will be doing.

Kholi
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Baffles me that M2 owners actually have to consider a hardmount. It shouldn't be used without it.

Matt Sconce
03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Baffles me that M2 owners actually have to consider a hardmount. It shouldn't be used without it.
It is definitely going to rock, but the M2 can go without it as well. just look at Stricken. I shot that without the hard mount and it turned out beautifully. I will definitely need it for Sleeper though! :thumbup:

Matt Sconce
03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
UPDATE: The Script has been completed in final draft 7 and will now go through several revisions. The film commissioner is back in 7 days and then we will make sure we have all of our locations OK'd.
We have been researching several things to use in our short, and have found something we love. You will love it too.
Mark is getting some well deserved sleep tonight and is working on the concept photos of Paige. Tomorrow we get her wardrobe. We will be recording the wardrobe hunt for BTS.:beer:

Mark T. Aro
03-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Mark is getting some well deserved sleep tonight and is working on the concept photos of Paige. Tomorrow we get her wardrobe. We will be recording the wardrobe hunt for BTS.

Well that didn't happen, my wife finally threatened my life around 1 AM and I was up and at it again about 5 AM this morning, but.... plus side is that the character concepts for our female lead our done and scanned. I thought that might be handy since we are doing wardrobe tonight and I scanned some of the storyboards so look for some of that to show up hear later today or tomorrow.

Now on to one of the many projects that WE have going that will pay for this thing :) ... you know... prior to the 8-10 hours on the full-time job. Yeah I love being ADHD.

DISORDER my butt! I am going to make a T-Shirt that says "I put the H in ADHD. " :Drogar-Evil(DBG): (Copyright Mark Aro 2007, all rights reserved) just in case anyone is thinking of stealing that idea... hah!:Drogar-Love(DBG):

For those of you not familiar with this term it stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I guess this name is better than what they used to call it... Minimal Brain Disfunction:Drogar-Dum(DBG):.... Okay I digress... back to work!

More soon...

Matt Sconce
03-21-2007, 03:06 PM
We just spoke to the owners of one of our locations and it looks like it will work out. We will be posting a couple location shots soon.

Mark T. Aro
03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Well here's the first few pictures of some of our locations. They have a lot of character and we are very excited about what we have secured. We have verbal approval and most of them, but we do have back-ups just in case something falls through last minute. Please enjoy!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1174523686.jpg

Matt Sconce
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Well here's the first few pictures of some of our locations. They have a lot of character and we are very excited about what we have secured. We have verbal approval and most of them, but we do have back-ups just in case something falls through last minute. Please enjoy!

I am so excited about these locations. It is nice to not have to go guerrilla style and actually get permits. It will let Mark and I focus on the camera work, direction, and story, instead of whether or not the cops have found us.

These locations look pretty cool, but they will look beyond awesome at night. :beer:

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Here's a few VERY ROUGH concept sketches. If we were doing creature design or something like that I would actually spend more time making them look cool, but this is really to get some type of visual direction in regards to our main character.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1174580088.jpg

Larry Rutledge
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow! Very impressive Mark. :thumbsup: I may have to hire you when I start pre-pro on my next project.

I'm really looking forward to your guys' project.

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow! Very impressive Mark. :thumbsup: I may have to hire you when I start pre-pro on my next project.

I'm really looking forward to your guys' project.

Thanks Larry. We should have some story board samples up sometime today. :dankk2:

jeremytuttle
03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Looking good guys.

Matt Sconce
03-22-2007, 10:46 AM
In case you haven't seen...
UPDATE: Concept sketches on Main Page above Location shots.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=89822

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Here's a few of our many Storyboard sketches that we are using to work out story flow and camera work. When all is said and done, we will probably have more polished boards, but for now this serves as a jumping off point. We will go through these and work out the final camera work, staging and all of that prior to shooting.

FYI - the boards go left to right, top to bottom.

Larry Rutledge
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
... we will probably have more polished boards...

MORE POLISHED??? These are far superior to anything I ever had on my shoot...my boards looked like a 5 year old drew them.

Very impressive :thumbsup:

-- Larry

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks Man!

Sorry bout that... more than anything I meant more polished as far as camera movement and story flow goes. I am one of those people that communicates best by showing not telling. This way I can share with Matt, what is in my head and he can add his vision and we can keep at it till we both see it on paper. Then he and I will polish and refine the camera movements and visual storytelling portion of it and then there is no question about what we are doing and we are both on the same page, literally and metaphorically. :)

Yeah, Matt is in same drawing category that you are in, but that is okay, I have found that a still camera and a couple friends posing is just as effective as drawing it out. For me I watch it in my head... then scratch it out till it feels right. We did a music video a few weeks ago and Matt's boards were very entertaining... only HE knew which character was which and wha was happening :)...

Matt Sconce
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
We did a music video a few weeks ago and Matt's boards were very entertaining... only HE knew which character was which and wha was happening :)...

:crybaby: :crybaby: So true...so true

Larry Rutledge
03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry bout that... more than anything I meant more polished as far as camera movement and story flow goes....

No..no need to be sorry. It was a sarcastic means of giving a compliment :huh: In other words...I'm very impressed :thumbsup:

Yeah, Matt is in same drawing category that you are in... Woo Hoo! Welcome to the no drawing talent club, Matt!! :grin:

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
No..no need to be sorry. It was a sarcastic means of giving a compliment :huh: In other words...I'm very impressed :thumbsup:

Well Dude! Thanks for the compliment!

jeremytuttle
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Great storyboards. You have a talent for perspective drawing. Mine usually end up very 2D and straight on their front or side... very boring.

EDIT: Hey Mark do you have a website or anything I can check out your work at?

Mark T. Aro
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Great storyboards. You have a talent for perspective drawing. Mine usually end up very 2D and straight on their front or side... very boring.

EDIT: Hey Mark do you have a website or anything I can check out your work at?

Thanks dude!

I have a bunch of very old game stuff... you are welcome to check it out, but my site hasn't been updated in years and the last updates were cell phone art a couple years ago. Someday I will get some of the compositing and higher end 3D stuff up, but it probably wont be for a while. Check out it at:

www.visualcranium.com (http://www.visualcranium.com)

Don't judge me to harshly, there is a lot of old, very dated stuff (most of the 3D is real old school... pre-global illumination, normal mapping and high end tools like that).

Matt Sconce
03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
You rock Mark! http://www.emoticonstation.com/emoticons/0d8b6fda54e49098a1a7f45747c7b745.gif

Mark and I have been discussing an idea to incorporate some amazing production value into our movie. Thew pros are that it will take Sleeper to a completely different level. The cons are that it will ridiculously increase post production, and costs on set. We have decided to reach for the stars and go with the idea, so wish us luck! Any of you having the same dilemma? http://www.emoticonstation.com/emoticons/850f931e1818ddee861b59b054e6c541.gif Fun Fun Fun!

Matt Sconce
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone! I have been home sick from work today. i think i am just fatigued from this whole process. But I am still stoked! I know Mark feels the same way. There is a lot of hard work going on over here! I was able to get some rest and I feel much better.

Tonight is our poster shoot with Paige. It will be awesome. I really like our concept, and we will shoot for some other possibilities as well. You will probably see the poster some time next week. Keep checking back and we appreciate your responses.

Mark T. Aro
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Hello All,
I just got a commitment from our Audio engineer. My brother (Mike Aro - Aro Dynamix) owns a local recording studio and he has committed to come on board and handle all of our ADR, SFX/Foley and the final mix of the soundtrack that Chance is creating for us. I am very excited that he could make the time for this, somewhat last minute project. He is very gifted and I am stoked that he wants to help out.

You can find a little bit about him on the web at www.arodynamix.com (http://www.arodynamix.com)

His staple is a lot of Hip-hop and Rap, but he is a very gifted percussionist and an even more talented audio engineer. Personally I get the process, it is not much different that editing video, but I just can't hear the things that he does... I just don't have the chops for it! :grin:

So welcome aboard BRO and I can't wait to make some magic.

Matt Sconce
03-23-2007, 05:10 PM
So welcome aboard BRO and I can't wait to make some magic.

Awesome news dude! That will make our project that much better. I also, do not have the cjops for it so your brother is a lifesaver.:)

UPDATE: We have postponed the photoshoot for the poster to Monday for some much needed rest. We then have crazy editing to do for another project (which will help pay for more of this project) so look for the poster sometime next week. I will keep you updated. I am driving down to our local camera stor right now to look at ways to hard mount that make the best use of my macro lens.:beer:

Matt Sconce
03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Well after finally getting a 77-77mm male double sided adapter, the M2 is hardmounted!

Charli
03-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Love the storyboards. I don't think a girl can run in a skirt like that, so hopefully, you won't have her move fast. I haven't drawn a thing in like forever. Where are my pencils!

Mark T. Aro
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Love the storyboards. I don't think a girl can run in a skirt like that, so hopefully, you won't have her move fast. I haven't drawn a thing in like forever. Where are my pencils!

Thanks!
Yep... No Running! Just walking hastily.... She will have heels on too and women running in heels just looks weird. :laugh:

TimurCivan
03-24-2007, 04:16 PM
this one is gonna be pretty Rad.....

Mark T. Aro
03-24-2007, 10:58 PM
this one is gonna be pretty Rad.....

Yeah... we think so too! The tough part is going to be getting it done in time! We just added something to the end that will really make the short, but hopefully it wont break us. I told Matt that we should make it, however, the film may be dedicated in memory of Mark Aro who died for his craft!:laugh:

On a side note, we just spent about ten hours prepping and filming two different performances and casts of youth musical. We shot it with two HVX's... it should turn out nicely. Point is... tonights work and the few days to follow (editing and burning discs) will make us more money to through into our short. The tally is adding up. We first set a budget of $1000... lets just say that we waived goodbye to that $1000 a while ago. Most likely, we will be posting budget and cost breakdown for anyone interested. Well I have some cold chicken and my recliner waiting for me...

More soon...

Ralph Oshiro
03-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Love the storyboards. I don't think a girl can run in a skirt like that, so hopefully, you won't have her move fast.Yeah, I agree with Charli--that skirt needs to be MUCH shorter! Nice boards, man!

Matt Sconce
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I agree with Charli--that skirt needs to be MUCH shorter! Nice boards, man!
haha! Funny Ralph.:laugh:

UPDATE: The bit of filming Mark and I had to do to provide funding for Sleeper went very well. We will be completing editing in the next two days and then will be burning 200 DVDs. We hope this event will give us the remaining funds needed to complete Sleeper. We will discuss the budget and if we decide to post it, it will be up late next week or sooner.:dankk2:

Mark T. Aro
03-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I agree with Charli--that skirt needs to be MUCH shorter! Nice boards, man!
Well right now the actual skirt is below her knees so we will be making it shorter, but probably not what you are looking for... it is not that kind of film.

On a funny side note... one of the locations that is still pending, the owner lives out of town and when I contacted her she was very skeptical and acted weird. When I pressed the issue, she finally said, "What kind of film are you making?" Long story short, I assured her that we were not making a porn film (Sorry guys) and that it really would be fine and that she could have anyone from her office their during the shooting to ensure that we weren't getting freaky or whatever else she may have thought.

That location is still pending. Once our film commissioner gets back into town, we will apply for the permits and then send an official request, the permit app and a waiver of liability so hopefully that will be enough to secure this VERY COOL location. It's not really the kinda place that we could shoot gorilla style, but we do have a very acceptable back up.

So, the skirt will be shorter than it actually is, but probably not much shorter than the boards... sorry! :(

But hopefully you can look past that and see the really cool non-racy aspects of our film. I think in the end, you will not be disappointed.:laugh:

Matt Sconce
03-26-2007, 06:57 AM
UPDATE: today is the poster photo shoot. It should be awesome. We have also roughed out some more storyboards and will hopefully have the entire thing roughed in several days. Our shoot dates are the 2nd 3rd and 4th weekend in April. I am looking forward to it!

Ted Arabian
03-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Excellent Story Boards!!! Who is the artist? Nice work!

EDIT: Okay, I just went back and read a few pages.... I now know who the artist is. MARK!!! You're amazing! Wonderful work! And I just checked out your "old" website. Wonderful, wonderful! You are very talented!

Matt and Mark... what a duo!

Should be a fantastic film. REALLY looking forward to this one!

Best!

-Ted

Mark T. Aro
03-26-2007, 12:24 PM
[quote=Matt and Mark... what a duo!

Should be a fantastic film. REALLY looking forward to this one!

Best!

-Ted[/quote]

Thanks Ted... we are a tad nervous becuase we are bitting off a really big chunk, but we are of the mindset to "GO BIG OR GO HOME". So we are going REALLY BIG and so far it is coming together nicely. We just keep coming up with cool new stuff so once post-pro starts... well lets just say we will have to sleep in shifts. The crazy part is that we are doing this, our full -time jobs and side work to pay for this. But were are holding up and I think that the effort it will show in the final project.
Thanks for the kind words.:dankk2:

Matt Sconce
03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
So we are going REALLY BIG and so far it is coming together nicely.

My gosh, that is almost an understatement. I am SOOOO excited about the big changes but I do understand that due to lack of sleep, we may officially be declared Zombies after Post and then, of course, hunted with bats and swords and such...:Drogar-BlackEye(DBG

Geoff_R
03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey Matt, how long is this film going to be? Not that it couldn't be done in six-minutes but I remember you going NC with Stricken, are you going a similar route with 'Sleeper' or are you gunning for a six-minute film? Sorry if this has already been discussed, I've been trying to stay on top of all the films but it's difficult.

Larry Rutledge
03-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Please be aware, there is no "non-compete" option anymore. If you fit within the specified rules, you get to play in the game. Otherwise you can use the "User Films" section to pimp your film.

That said, I counting on you to finish on time and to get a 6-minute cut for the fest...you can do it!! :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Matt, how long is this film going to be? Not that it couldn't be done in six-minutes but I remember you going NC with Stricken, are you going a similar route with 'Sleeper' or are you gunning for a six-minute film? Sorry if this has already been discussed, I've been trying to stay on top of all the films but it's difficult.

Oh, we are all in!:Drogar-SunGlass(DBG It will be a six minute bit of coolness. We have written it this way from day one. When I wrote Stricken it was ten pages long. Sleeper is only 6 pages! Yeehaw! We are totally competing, so I hope you all wait with anticipation, put Sleeper on your must watch first list, proceed to watch it and love it, and then vote for us. :cheesy:

After that, feel free to check and see if we did indeed become zombies.

Larry Rutledge
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
After that, feel free to check and see if we did indeed become zombies.

You should have a b-roll camera running on you guys during this process...then when Zombie Fest II: Redux happens, you can just capture the footage, cut to 6 minutes and submit -- will be the fastest entry in the history of DVX Fests!! :grin:

Mark T. Aro
03-27-2007, 07:24 AM
You should have a b-roll camera running on you guys during this process...then when Zombie Fest II: Redux happens, you can just capture the footage, cut to 6 minutes and submit -- will be the fastest entry in the history of DVX Fests!! :grin:

Well... I am sure we are not the only ones, but we have been planning madly and failed to realize until last night that our scheduled first day of shooting is on... BUM BUM BUUUUUUM!

FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!

Hmmmm... I don't really know if I should be thrilled or wierded out? Oh well... to tired to think about it and no brain cells to spare. Back to the Poster!

We had a successful poster photo shoot last night. Paige was wonderful, as usual! We are also trying hard to document as much of it as possible for a BTS look at the film.

Poster coming soon!

Mark T. Aro
03-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey All... Here's a few pics taken from the HVX while we were doing our photo shoot for the Poster. It was a kick. Paige is quite the cut up, but she can turn it on when she needs to... These are straight from the HVX untouched.

Matt... was it really necessary to film me? Just in case you wondered, I am the chubby one in flanel. :laugh:

Man I love that camera.... please enjoy:

Keystoned
03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey I really liked your Horrorfest entry.

Where is the poster that the green screen shoot was for?

Mark T. Aro
03-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey I really liked your Horrorfest entry.

Where is the poster that the green screen shoot was for?

Well I wasn't involved with Matt's Stricken.... but I liked it too.

In regards to the poster for SLEEPER, our Spyfest entry, well I am currently working on it. It should show up here later this week some time.
:dankk2:

bosindy
03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Judging from your lead, I really feel you shouldn't be afraid to push the R rating this festival. I mean for violence and language of course. Paige looks like she can bring it, looking forward to it.

Mark T. Aro
03-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Judging from your lead, I really feel you shouldn't be afraid to push the R rating this festival. I mean for violence and language of course. Paige looks like she can bring it, looking forward to it.

Well, we will just have to see won't we!

:laugh:

Matt Sconce
03-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey All... Here's a few pics taken from the HVX while we were doing our photo shoot for the Poster. It was a kick. Paige is quite the cut up, but she can turn it on when she needs to... These are straight from the HVX untouched.

Matt... was it really necessary to film me? Just in case you wondered, I am the chubby one in flanel. :laugh:

Man I love that camera.... please enjoy:

Haha! I had a ton of fun at the shoot. Paige is hilarious. She is great to work with. The poster will be rocking!

Brandon Rice
03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Question: Why did you choose to take shots with the HVX? Why not a nice DSLR or something? :) THings are looking GOOD so far :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Question: Why did you choose to take shots with the HVX? Why not a nice DSLR or something? :) THings are looking GOOD so far :thumbsup:
These are just BTS shots. The actual ones for the poster were shot on a DSLR. Keep checking back Brandon!

Brandon Rice
03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Cool stuff! I'll keep checking back.

Mark T. Aro
03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Like Matt mentioned, we are using a DSLR,... truth is...he just can't put the HVX down so he has been doing some BTS shots. The HVX shots are the only ones that have more than just Paige in them. Truth be told, he loved taping the images of me adjusting Paiges clothes... he sent them to me and labeled them "Mark_ Blackmail" or something like that. It probably wouldn't be so entertaining to him if I didn't get so embarassed each time I have to adjust her outfit... Paige isn't helping any. :zombie_smiley:

On a nerdy tech note... We are using a Nikon Coolpix 8700, 8 Megapixel camera and I am shooting RAW images (NEF in Nikon Language) with the layout being done in Photoshop CS2.... I should have the poster done soon.

Matt Sconce
03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Truth be told, he loved taping the images of me adjusting Paiges clothes... he sent them to me and labeled them "Mark_ Blackmail" or something like that. It probably wouldn't be so entertaining to him if I didn't get so embarassed each time I have to adjust her outfit... Paige isn't helping any. :zombie_smiley:. Haha! It was very fun preserving those moments for all future posterity...and blackmail:laugh:

I should have the poster done soon.

It will be awesome to have it up on our main page. I am excited!:cheesy:

Mark T. Aro
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
The poster is done. I designed it in the same general proportions as a DVD case. I really have nothing else to say other than, I hope you enjoy it and I hope that it is not too large. :laugh:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1175104160.jpg

Brandon Rice
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Pretty cool :thumbsup:

Ladyhazle
03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
In the immortal words of Mr. Frank Sinatra: "Wowwe wow, wow, wow!"

Say, that's a pretty sweet poster! (I said that part. :) )

Matt Sconce
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
In the immortal words of Mr. Frank Sinatra: "Wowwe wow, wow, wow!"

Say, that's a pretty sweet poster! (I said that part. :) )

Thanks! We are very happy with it!

Updated Main Page With Poster

Charli
03-28-2007, 05:22 PM
During the making of the "Black Angel" I told the actress who played Brook to not be afraid to show some bra. Love that red bra - lol.

Norm Sanders
03-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow, Matt & Mark ... great addition with Chance!! Love the all the extra material you guys are adding to the front page ... your 'Rough' storyboards are impressive, not rough. What, you want them to look like Marvel/DC printed comics before you consider them good enough, lol? :grin:

Very slick indeed. Really looking forward to this even more now! :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
During the making of the "Black Angel" I told the actress who played Brook to not be afraid to show some bra. Love that red bra - lol.

Yep, Paige is a trooper, and beautiful as well eh? She is into the end product being amazing and will really commit to the character. I don't think the guys will be complaining. :beer:

Wow, Matt & Mark ... great addition with Chance!! Love the all the extra material you guys are adding to the front page ... your 'Rough' storyboards are impressive, not rough. What, you want them to look like Marvel/DC printed comics before you consider them good enough, lol? :grin:

Very slick indeed. Really looking forward to this even more now! :thumbsup:

Thanks! We are working extremely hard. We have set the bar extremely high, but we will not settle until we make it over.

Mark just plain rocks with drawing. The storyboards are rough compared to what he can do. Compared to me....they are the Mona Lisa. My drawing look like a child sketched them...but I can definitely rock the camera!:)

We are excited about Chance. It is almost surreal sometimes, how everything is falling together for us. We credit God, and are thankful.

UPDATE: along with the Poster being on the front page now, we met with the film comissioner for lunch today. We went over the application for a permit and discovered we did indeed need 1,000,000.00 dollars liability insurance to film im city locations. That is only 2 days so I think we are okay. Anyone know of a rocking cheap insurance for liability coverage?
Thanks for checking back and thank you for your comments. please keep them coming. We are inspired when people are interested in the project.:dankk2:

Charli
03-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Matt, I believe permits require you attain insurance 30 days prior to filming. I dunno, check into that. Here goes:

http://www.eqgroup.com/shortterm_production.htm
http://www.filmemporium.com/insurance.html
http://www.productioninsurance.com/short.htm

Yeah, you're lead is a cutie.

Larry Rutledge
03-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Matt -- you also might check annual prices. When I was checking into liability insurance before, it was not much more to get a year's coverage than to get a few days (plus you can pay in payments if you do it annually).

At the time I was planning to shoot several shorts, and begin pre on my feature, over the course of the coming year..so annual coverage made more sense to me (plus paying a down payment and then monthly payments was more affordable to me).

Just a thought.

Peace,
Larry

Mark T. Aro
03-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Matt, I believe permits require you attain insurance 30 days prior to filming. I dunno, check into that. Here goes:

http://www.eqgroup.com/shortterm_production.htm
http://www.filmemporium.com/insurance.html
http://www.productioninsurance.com/short.htm

Yeah, you're lead is a cutie.

Charli... Mark here... the cool thing about Fresno is that they don't care, as long as we have it before shooting. Here there is one guy to deal with and that is it. He gives thumbs up and thumbs down on everything. He is very workable and is doing a lot of the leg work for us. They seem real interested in getting filmakers to make films here in this area. We told him it would be next week (we are shooting the week after next) and he had no problem with that.

Thanks for the insurance info!

Mark T. Aro
03-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Matt -- you also might check annual prices. When I was checking into liability insurance before, it was not much more to get a year's coverage than to get a few days (plus you can pay in payments if you do it annually).

At the time I was planning to shoot several shorts, and begin pre on my feature, over the course of the coming year..so annual coverage made more sense to me (plus paying a down payment and then monthly payments was more affordable to me).

Just a thought.

Peace,
Larry

Larry... Mark here... Good idea! We plan on doing a lot this coming year and that may be very doable, especially if we don't have come up with it all at once. SWEEEEEET! We will check into it! :dankk2:

Matt Sconce
03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks Charli and Larry! We are researching the insurance today and will have it locked in by next week. It is getting exciting here as we near the shoot dates. A lot more to do, but we are staying optimistic and focused.

I am glad people like our poster. Yay!:beer:

Matt Sconce
03-29-2007, 05:05 PM
UPDATE: The final dialogue is being tweaked and our script is getting better! Hooray! Also, the logistics and contracts etc are being finalized between all parties. This should be great!

Matt Sconce
03-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Man, I definitely understand what starving artist means now. Everything for the art right? mmmmm top ramen and bean burritos... Seriously though, for myself, and I would assume Mark as well, this process is tough to go through. But at least we share the vision for what the movie will be and the hope that we will see some of our money again! Muah haha. The funny thing is, regardless of the money situation...I would not want to be doing anything else. I bet many of you can relate to these feelings.
All or nothing baby!

Mark T. Aro
03-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Okay... just to rephrase Matt's slightly depressing post... we are putting everything we have into making this thing rock... no we are not starving... yet! :)

Ramen and Bean Burritos are good for you... it is a nice feeling knowing that you are putting it all in. I would feel bad if I was chomping on a t-bone and my project was suffering. Heck that $20 could go toward a prop or something.

For us, we want to turn this story into a feature so this is our stepping off point. We have much more dynamic things planned for a feature based on this story, but SLEEPER is a tiny bite of that bigger/grander idea.

Beat Takeshi
03-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I clicked on your banner and thought it took me to a porn site for a sec. ;)
Well at least I was hoping for one with some behind the scenes.
Just kidding, I cant wait to see some more.

Gord.T
03-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Man, I gotta tell ya. That girl (Paige) is so mesmerizing. I can't think of a better banner. Kills me. Can't wait to see how the story plays out. Excellent.

Mark T. Aro
03-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Man, I gotta tell ya. That girl (Paige) is so mesmerizing. I can't think of a better banner. Kills me. Can't wait to see how the story plays out. Excellent.
That is why she got the part. There is a very specific thing that has to happen in the script with her character and out of all of the actresses that read for the part she was leaps and bounds above them all. I can't talk about specifics because it will reveal to much, so you will have to wait and watch, but I am fairly certain that most people will not be disappointed (keep the minds out of the gutter now guys).:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

I am very excited about this, it is going to be very cool.

Matt Sconce
03-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Paige has a different look that looks great on camera. When she auditioned for Stricken I remember immediately looking at my AD (my wife) and us both agreeing that she was getting the role. She is great to work with and she brings a lot to this role. It is pretty demanding and she is up to the challenge. I am glad you guys are excited to see her act in this movie. I am excited to shoot it!

UPDATE: Some props just came in and they are perfect. Some mock ups of our 23x35 posters came in as well (To hang in our houses....yes...we are indeed geeks). The posters are awesome. Some final tweaking and then our wives will officially have to put up with Sleeper posters on our walls.:beer:

Mark T. Aro
04-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Well we finally got pictures for all of the cast. They should be up later today. We also have more info on our composer. We meet with him later this week to finalize the agreement and get started on the music. We are also shooting a lot of behind the scenes footage, so look for that sometime after Spyfest. It should be a lot of fun.

:)

Matt Sconce
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, the project that is funding the rest of Sleeper should be finished today and the payday for it will be tomorrow, so it seems as if the money situation will work out well. There are definitely hidden costs to short films, but making movies is so worth it!

I am excited about the BTS footage. It should be very informative. We are attempting to record enough of what we do to help others learn how we did it. We want this film to not only rock, but to also help others become better film makers!

Mark T. Aro
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Here's the updated pic for cast.

Matt Sconce
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
UPDATE: Main page has been updated with additions to cast in picture matte form. These are a great bunch of actors who I know will make a great movie.

Larry Rutledge
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Cool pics :thumbsup:

BTW, Matt -

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8431/bif8d2126vf.gif

Matt Sconce
04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Cool pics :thumbsup:

BTW, Matt -

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8431/bif8d2126vf.gif

Thanks! I have officially reached the ripe old age of 26. My wife started the day out at midnight by giving me a Wushu Steel Chinese Broadsword. She rocks! Sleeper will be a a nice Birthday present as well. On that note, our permits should be secured soon. We are juggling the finances right now making sure we can pay everyone as also have enough for the shoot expenses. It is all working out.:dankk2:

Matt Sconce
04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
UPDATE!! We meet Chance Tomorrow! We will tape it for behind the scenes purposes! For those of you just checking in, Chance Thomas is our composer. He has won an Oscar, Emmy, Aurora Award, and others. He has an impressive resume. Check out his music at wwwHugesound.com

Mark T. Aro
04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
We don't have pictures of our whole crew, but here's a few of Matt and I as well as a shot of Chance.

As Matt mentioned, we are meeting with Chance tonight. :)

Please enjoy...

Charli
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Mark, is that meeting with Chance a chanced meeting? Oh, don't mind me, that's just some bad writer's humor. I love the photos. Matt - arm band tattoos! Cool, bro.

Matt Sconce
04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Matt - arm band tattoos! Cool, bro.

Yep, the tiger and the dragon. They were designed for me at a shop in Hollywood. I am a Martial Arts lover. I have three black belts and am currently studying the katana. The tiger and dragon are always countering one another. The tiger represents straight attacks and the dragon circular.

And no...this meeting was not by "Chance"...:beer: hehe

TimurCivan
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
MAtt... iom excited about this. :) You gonna knock our socks off i think.

Larry Rutledge
04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I have three black belts... I have two black belts and one maroon belt ... but I bought them at the local clothing store :evil:

Seriously, that's cool...I always wanted to learn a martial art, I had a particular interest in weapons, but unfortunaltey it never happened.

Charli
04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Matt - I don't have any belts, but I can weild a mighty fine frying pan. Actually, I fenced and you don't know how invigoring it is to have someone come at you with a steel blade until you are in combat.

Matt Sconce
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Matt - I don't have any belts, but I can weild a mighty fine frying pan. Actually, I fenced and you don't know how invigoring it is to have someone come at you with a steel blade until you are in combat.

I completely agree. I fenced as well, and it is quite a rush. We will be posating news about our meeting with Chance Thomas soon so stay tuned.:)

Mark T. Aro
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Well the meeting with Chance or in the words of the Charli, "Our CHANCE meeting" went really well. We had intended to stay for an hour and it lasted about three. He is real excited about SLEEPER and it didn't take long for him to plug right into the idea. We reviewed the script, storyboards and some location / actor photos. He is very excited, as are we! As I was reviewing the boards and talking about emotions and tone of the seen, he was starting to hum a little tune and said, "I am starting to hear it...".

So in short, it was a great meeting that went way to fast.

Mark T. Aro
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM

I have done plenty of sword fighting, except all I had was a toy lightsaber and my overly enthusiastic son. Not the same feeling as someone rushing at you with a steel blade, but I tell you that it has to be comperable to the panic you feel when a spastic 6 year old runs full speed at your crotch with Lightsaber. Sure they retract to some degree... but only so far. I still recall that sinking feeling in my stomach as I dropped to my knees and wanted to puke! :zombie_smiley:

ah! good times... good times! :beer:

Matt Sconce
04-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Updated Main Page With Chance Bts Photos

Matt Sconce
04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
For those of you just checking in who have not seen what is going on with Sleeper, I wanted to give a brief update of our progress using the pics from the first page. These are cool moment in our progression toward final film. We update all of this on the first page and it does not register as a new post so make sure you keep checking the first page for additions and information.
UPDATE: Directors meet Composer Chance Thomas
UPDATE: Crew Shots of Mark, Matt and Chance
UPDATE: CAST PHOTOS

UPDATE: BTS POSTER PHOTO SHOOT
UPDATE: ROUGH STORYBOARDS

UPDATE: CHARACTER CONCEPT ROBIN
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1174580088.jpg

UPDATE: SLEEPER LOCATIONS

So where do we go from here?? To the final storyboard, and then to the locations for filming. It is nearing the dates. We start filming Friday the 13th.:crybaby:

Heather
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
how exciting!!! I'm so glad a little tiny pic of me was posted :) I'm so proud of both matt and mark with how dedicated they are to this project. It's going to be phenomenal!!! keep at it boys!

Heather:kiss:

Mark T. Aro
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
SCRIPT IS COMPLETE!!! :grin:

INSURANCE IS PURCHASED!!! :Drogar-Kriz(DBG):

Today we fill out the apps on-line for our permits, shop for last of the wardrobe and start making our "What not to forget list", for next weeks shoot.

Yesterday we went into the sound studio and recorded some dialogue... we then sent it with the script for the actors to use for rehearsal. That was a lot of fun. Matt and I cruised the Petite section at Nordstroms Rack trying to find a second shirt to match the first one that we bought a few weeks ago for Paige. Boy that was a little awkward... two big oafs cruising the womans section comparing blouses... we eventually had to get help, but we found what we were looking for and got out unscathed.

In addition to all of the other stuff, we are finishing the rough cut of another project that will hopefully help pay for some of this toward the end and somewhere in there we are going to sleep... I think?

Well off to the grindstone!

AmyO
04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
You should have brought a little hand-held camera with you while shopping. That would have made some great BTS footage! :)

Matt Sconce
04-07-2007, 11:43 AM
You should have brought a little hand-held camera with you while shopping. That would have made some great BTS footage! :)

We thought about doing that, but figured we would be stared at even more. Talk about spyfest....we were definitely on a covert operation. My favortie part was when I told Mark one of the petite blouses would bring out his eyes...:shocked:

Well, some cool news is that Chance will be at our shoot. It looks like the Mayor, and the Film Commissioner might be at the shoot. Exciting stuff!:)

Matt Sconce
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Here is a bit from a slow mo test of a spinning coin we ran today. 6.75mb

http://www.eagleasda.com/DVX_Sleeper_Slow_mo_Test_Final_sorenson.mov

The test went well. On to the next step.:thumbup:

Mark T. Aro
04-09-2007, 06:49 AM
PERMITS APPLIED in... and now we wait. As soon as we hear from the City, we submit all that information to the property owner of the last unsecured location. Hopefully it goes well, because we need to try and shoot that location this Saturday.

Tonight we pick up one of our generators and we are shooting some more test shots with my two teenage daughters standing in as Paige and Shanes characters. My oldest daughter wasn't to thrilled when I told her she gets to play the guy. :) I told her it was payback for always making her younger sister play Han Solo while she always got to be Princess Lea.

We may send a few shots of tonights festivities.... we shall see, if it doesn't give to much away.

Mark T. Aro
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Well we got some new toys and we figured that we should test them out so here's a pic showing one of the tests. Turns out it is the only pic that wont give the story away. The rest would reveal to much. Hope you enjoy! Friday we start shooting and Saturday is the hardest day of shooting. The location for Saturday is still pending.

:furious3:

Well... enjoy!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176224599.jpg

Matt Sconce
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
UPDATE: Tax return came in....YAY! Money for Sleeper again! FInal preparations shot list, varizoom test, etc tomorrow. Still waiting on KEY location.

Mark T. Aro
04-10-2007, 12:33 PM
WOO FRIGGIN HOO! PERMITS ARE APPROVED!!!!

I just got an email with a list of attachments from the Film Commissioner and we have all of our permits. What a relief!

Now, one location left for approval and then we are in business!

:cheesy:

Ted Arabian
04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Guys, this thread is just amazing! I love all of the updates and photos. Great work. I am SOOOOOOO envious!

Congrats on all!

-Ted

Mark T. Aro
04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Guys, this thread is just amazing! I love all of the updates and photos. Great work. I am SOOOOOOO envious!

Congrats on all!

-Ted

Thanks Man! We are trying to make sure that we are posting stuff that is useful and interesting. Once we start shooting and start post production you will really start to see some cool stuff.

Thanks for positive feedback!

Matt Sconce
04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
We had fun testing out the lens. We bought a zoom lens but there is no manual focus ring so it is lame. Our other lenses rock though and I guess I do not need a Zoom lens for the most part as I am a Dolly fiend. There is such a huge difference shooting through on of those Nikon lenses on an M2 versus straight camera. There is a beautiful glow and smoothness added. I have discovered that the Hvx + M2 +Lenses has not lost resolution. I simply gain a more beautiful display of the High Definition experience.

UPDATE: Front Page Updated

Matt Sconce
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
UPDATE: Last night I watched my dad create something cool for the camera. It pays to have a scientist inventor for a father, especially when he can re-create expensive camera things from a picture. :violent5:

Anyway, while he was working on the device, I tested out our Varizoom LANC controller. It worked! Hooray! This allows for spiftabulous crane shots, as we can adjust focus, zoom and iris from it. :love4:

We are still waiting on our location for Saturday and it is coming down to the wire. I still believe we will get it though.:shocked:

Tonight is the final iron out storyboards, create shot list night. So, after 11:00pm tonight, Mark and I will be working hard.:crybaby:

We are excited to start production Friday. :cheesy:

Matt Sconce
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
UPDATE: At Lunch today, Mark and I secured a KEY item in Saturday's shooting for a whopping....25 bucks...:cheesy: Now if we could just get that KEY location...:undecided

Larry Rutledge
04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm totally enjoying this thread....love the updates/information you guys are providing. And it looks like its going to be a fun project too.

Good luck this weekend, wish I could come help out...maybe next time.

Mark T. Aro
04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm totally enjoying this thread....love the updates/information you guys are providing. And it looks like its going to be a fun project too.

Good luck this weekend, wish I could come help out...maybe next time.
Thanks Larry. It is real fun/interesting to us too. Personally, I love geeking out over the making of stuff... heck, I buy some discs just for the BTS stuff.

I didn't really know if people were diggin the thread, since we hadn't seen a lot of comments, but I am a new face and I think Matt has been around a bit but hasn't competed... something like that. So I guess we are new faces to this whole deal and an unknown quantity (at least I am). In the end though, I think everyone will enjoy. I know if it turns out even remotely close to what we want, well then it should be a fun 6 minutes. Afterwards, there should be some fun Q and A, because we are doing a lot of VFX. Most of it is subtle, some not so subtle.

Regardless, we are having a blast and we should see some really cool footage this weekend. Personally, I like to attack the hard stuff first and Friday will be a bit of a warm up and then we role into the hardest shoot on Saturday starting with set up and rehearsal in early morning, blocking out all of the shots for VFX and then a cast call at 5pm to run through and start shooting when it gets dark. Our permit specifies that we may be shooting through the night till sun-up if need be. That way we can get it right, cause if we don't nail Saturday night... well, then we might as well scrap the whole thing. However, we have done a lot of preparation and planning to get that shoot right so we should have some real amazing stuff.

Anyway... I get so excited and I start blabbing... shutting up now! :shocked:

Herman Witkam
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Well the meeting with Chance or in the words of the Charli, "Our CHANCE meeting" went really well. We had intended to stay for an hour and it lasted about three. He is real excited about SLEEPER and it didn't take long for him to plug right into the idea. We reviewed the script, storyboards and some location / actor photos. He is very excited, as are we! As I was reviewing the boards and talking about emotions and tone of the seen, he was starting to hum a little tune and said, "I am starting to hear it...".

So in short, it was a great meeting that went way to fast.

cool!

Chance is a great guy, and his music is obviously great as well! Looking forward to hearing the score.

Mark T. Aro
04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
cool!

Chance is a great guy, and his music is obviously great as well! Looking forward to hearing the score.

Yeah, he is a dream to work with! He is very attentive and is really adept at getting into the heart of the story and drawing out the music. I can't wait to hear what he has in store.

sfoster
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm excited about working with you guys. Can't wait 'til tomorrow!

RebeccaD
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Looks like things are really coming along! What a great, informative thread!

bosindy
04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I really like seeing how a pro crew goes about it, great thread.

Mark T. Aro
04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm excited about working with you guys. Can't wait 'til tomorrow!

Yeah Shane... I have been working on your costume and PROPS! Wink Wink... Nudge Nudge! (top secret) Anyhoo... THEY ROCK! If I do say so myself. I think you will approve.

Yep... tomorrow we have dress rehearsal and we will probably do some more photos of Shane and Paige... we probably wont show Shaine's just yet... at least not ones where he is in full costume.

Yep... this is gonna be a blast!

Still no word on our prime Saturday location! More news soon.

Ralph Oshiro
04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Personally, I like to attack the hard stuff first and Friday will be a bit of a warm up and then we role into the hardest shoot on Saturday starting with set up and rehearsal in early morning, blocking out all of the shots for VFX and then a cast call at 5pm to run through and start shooting when it gets dark.
I ALWAYS do "the hard stuff" first, too! That way, you know you've "got it!" Congrats on all your permits! Looking forward to some good BTS stuff!

Ralph Oshiro
04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176224599.jpg
That looks way cool!

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Looks like things are really coming along! What a great, informative thread!
Thanks Rebecca... we just figure that our fellow geeks may like some of the same stuff (BTS info and whatnot) that we do.

BTW Rockin song! So you sing, you act... do you dance too! :)

Very Impressive!

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 01:21 AM
That looks way cool!

Thanks Man... the funny thing is that she is very flexible and her arms hyper extend and the skewed angle of her arm in the shots is not all the lens, but it is my very flexible daughter letting her arm bend back a little too far!:huh:

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I really like seeing how a pro crew goes about it, great thread.

Thanks man! We are trying to pull something really cool together. We are not taking the usual spin on this, but hopefully when it is done it will be pleasantly surprising and people will want to watch it again!

Matt Sconce
04-12-2007, 08:31 AM
UPDATE: Well, this gets trickier and trickier... Now it is supposed to rain on Saturday (Our biggest shoot day Outdoors). We will be having crew stand with umbrellas over each light and we have developed water housings for the camera as well as large coverings to battle the rain. I know they say rain brings production value...but I would much rather be able to turn it off myself. You will be able to share in this joyous time in our BTS:crybaby:

Hypothermia will also rear its ugly head. We will be able to have a heat car running and have our two actors sit in it's warmth between takes. This should be interesting...:huh:

But first thing is first. FRIDAY's Shoot is almost here. We begin Production tomorrow. :beer:

Matt Sconce
04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
We will be posting Pics of our water rig for the HVX....stay tuned.

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Still no word on our primary location for Saturday!

I am starting to freak... Now they are just not answering the phone. They were supposed to get back to us... but nothing yet!

:(

Matt Sconce
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
UPDATE: More equipment picked up at lunch today. Ponchos, as it is supposed to rain on us on Saturday, some top secret stuff, and also the altered skirt picked up so Paige's Wardrobe can be completed. The final fitting and rehearsal is tonight. Fun Times!

Larry Rutledge
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Any more word on the location? I'm praying that it works out...nothing worse than last minute re-writes :eek:

Ted Arabian
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Good luck, guys! Sounds like fun... except for that rain stuff. yikes!

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Any more word on the location? I'm praying that it works out...nothing worse than last minute re-writes :eek:

Nothing yet! We have a backup plan, but it is not ideal. We shall see.

Thanks for the good vibes!

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Good luck, guys! Sounds like fun... except for that rain stuff. yikes!

Thanks man!

Yeah rain is not ideal, but we are shooting that scene at night so it is not a huge issue. When it rains here it really only sprinkles and usually not for a long time so most likely we can work around mother nature, but I would hate to have to break everything down while we wait for the rain, hence the umbrellas.

Larry Rutledge
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, night shots always look better (IMHO) when the ground is wet anyway. So that will just UP the production values!! :)

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, night shots always look better (IMHO) when the ground is wet anyway. So that will just UP the production values!! :)

That is true but reflective surface always play hell with green. We may be doing some of that and it just seems to complicate things.

Larry Rutledge
04-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh really? I didn't know that.

Matt Sconce
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I know Mark will probably respond as well, but when you are keying things, imagine all the reflections wanting to key out as well, since they have the same greens in them. There is a lot of masking and layering to fix this keying nightmare. That is not even the worst part...The worst thing is that the green has to be removed in post from every surface. Many hours would have to be dedicated just for that...:crybaby:

Larry Rutledge
04-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Oh, I didn't realize he was talking about chroma keying....that totally makes sense. Well, have fun :eek:

Mark T. Aro
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh, I didn't realize he was talking about chroma keying....that totally makes sense. Well, have fun :eek:

Yeah, not a lot of it... if it does rain then I may have to skip it and just hand animate masks in post without the green. We'll see.

Charli
04-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Matt & Mark - you both are in Cali, where 'bout exactly?

Mark T. Aro
04-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Matt & Mark - you both are in Cali, where 'bout exactly?

WE are in Fresno... You?

Mark T. Aro
04-14-2007, 04:23 AM
Well, this Friday afternoon, we got approval on our Saturday location! Yeah!

We shot all night Friday and finished at about 3am Saturday morning and we made it home by 4:30 once we packed up. I am really happy with what we shot! Tomorrow (later today) will be grueling, but it will be well worth it.

Must sleep.. can't think anymore... been up now for 26 hours....

:zombie_smiley:

Matt Sconce
04-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Did good......shot stuff......went well.....must...S..L..Ee...p......:zombie_smiley:

Larry Rutledge
04-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Woo Hoo!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting production rolling and congratulations on getting approval for today's location.

Charli
04-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Mark - Santa Monica. Geez, I just left NorCal. I hear the summers up there in Fresno are killers.

Mark T. Aro
04-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Mark - Santa Monica. Geez, I just left NorCal. I hear the summers up there in Fresno are killers.

Yep! We are actually in the dead center of the state (Central California) and yes... the summers suck!!!!!

But... family is here, it is much more affordable to live and we can make somewhat of a living while pursuing a dream. So it works out fairly well.:laugh:

Ted Arabian
04-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey there guys! Glad to hear that last night went well and that you got your location locked for today.

Best of luck. I hope that the weather gods work in your favor tonight.

Matt Sconce
04-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Well, I have somehow revived from my delirious sleeping state and am trying to wake up enough to rock tonight...I think it is time for some food and coffee. Tonight has the biggest shots and it will be grueling on the actors. They are tough and know what is coming, but it still will be INTENSE. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers tonight. We will let you know how it goes.

Mark T. Aro
04-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Woo Hoo!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting production rolling and congratulations on getting approval for today's location.

Thanks Larry... Yeah we were sweating bullets. Thursday night, we were fairly certain it wasn't going to happen so we went and scoped out our approved backup location. Friday morning we were gearing up for location B. I almost didn't call again on location A... but I thought, we will give it another shot. The owner answered and we chatted, she said call me back this afternoon. She called about 30 minutes later said "NO PROBLEM!" That was that!

Okay... so I am off to grab chow with Matt and go over the HELLISH DAY (but fun) that we have in store for us today!

:laugh:

Heather
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
This production team ROCKS! everyone involved was up until the wee hours of the morning, with no complaints, even when it was EXTREMELY cold and wet. This movie is going to be more than awesome! I'm so excited that I've gotten to be a part of it. You all are my heroes!! go for your dreams everyone, cause these guys are living proof that if you do, great things are going to come your way!! I love you guys!!!

Heather:laugh:

Brandon Rice
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Nice! Can't wait to see the stuff you guys shot!!

Ralph Oshiro
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
So . . . how'd it go? From Heather's enthusiastic post, sounds like it went pretty well! It's always a good thing when your talent's morale remains so high, even after a trying day.

Matt Sconce
04-15-2007, 04:51 PM
:Drogar-BlackEye(DBG well...we survived.
When we got to our second day of filming, the forecast said it could rain.
As I talked about before, Mark and I had prepared for this with water housings for the camera, made by my father and a canopy to cover us.

What we hadn't counted on was the freezing cold and the fact that our actor and actress would have to stand in that rain in the freezing cold :shocked:

They were awesome though and made it through. :laugh:

From start to finish it was a gruelling but amazing experience. We finished our final shot, 4 minutes before official sun rise. Everybody gave 110% and put everything they had into this night of shooting. Because of that, we have some amazing footage.

Mark and I may be super duds today because of lack of sleep, similar to jetlag. But we are happy duds because we know we got the shots we needed.

:banned: on the first night of shooting, the police rolled up, two cars deep on reports of screaming and domestic violence. When they found out we had a permit and that we were making a film, they laughed shook our hands and took off. It was a nice change from having to run when we saw them. PERMITS ARE AWESOME! Mark and I have learned through this process that it really pays to go through the legal channels to make a movie.:2vrolijk_08:

This has been an awesome experience. As you can tell, my wife has been very supportive and I appreciate that a lot...very much. We just have an incredible team to work with here and I can't state that enough, especially since we can't pay most of them. We're shooting again next weekend and then we should move into ADR. We'll post some behind-the-scenes stills soon.:thumbsup:

Charli
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Matt - I learned from my first short the painful experience one can have when there's no permit. First thing I asked Elton was, "What permits do we need?" It really makes a huge difference not having to worry 'bout anything. I am happy for you and your team that you had a solid day of shooting.

Mark T. Aro
04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
So . . . how'd it go? From Heather's enthusiastic post, sounds like it went pretty well! It's always a good thing when your talent's morale remains so high, even after a trying day.

To add to what Matt has already posted, I just need to say that it

WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!

And... FRIGGIN COLD!!!!!

Quite unbearably COLD!!!.. but no one got hypothermia and we all did fairly well.

As far as the crew goes... they were all volunteer, but they rocked! I just want to give PROPS to our new brother JULIO! He is awesome. It is amazing how well things go when you have people that are "Totally Committed and we had several like JULIO and Matt's Dad GARY! Guys that stick it out and keep working till the last task is complete. It is really nice to work with people who are in it for the love of the craft. It really makes a difference.

Well I have so much to say, but I have a lot of overtime to pull now, to make up for the time I took off for the shoot. No rest for the weary eh!

More soon!

dangal
04-16-2007, 01:40 AM
looks awsome

Matt Sconce
04-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Now for a funny story.........:beer:

Friday rolled around and I knew it was coming time for the first day of production. I operate the camera and needed all my faculties to perform the camera moves Mark and I had planned. All day long I had been having the worst allergies, so a couple hours before the shoot, I took some allergy medication. I am a freakin moron though sometimes, this being one of those occasions.:crybaby:

The medication I took was two BENADRYL and not just one... TWO!! An hour later, I began to feel a bit strange. I was almost falling asleep while walking. I felt like my brain could not tell my body what to do, as if I were dreaming and in a limbo land. Mark is the one who realized it was the Benadryl.

I had effectively drugged myself hours before the most important shoot up this point in my life.:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I immediately got a a giant coffee with four shots of expresso in it, as that is the only way to attempt to balance the chemical reaction putting me into a deep coma like sleep...:-KnockedOut(D

Well, the coffee kicked in and I made it through the night, but for a while there it was up in the air. I would have kicked my own butt if I had ruined this shoot...:nads:

The End

Ted Arabian
04-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Oh jeez, that is quite a story Matt. Oops! Great to hear that you got the shoot in!

Funny bit about the cops and the permits. That must have felt great to have those in hand!

Really looking forward to the bts!

cinealma
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
...The medication I took was two BENADRYL!

...I immediately got a a giant coffee with four shots of expresso in it...
The End

Hey! That's my secret "Monday Morning - Leave Me The F*ck Alone" concoction. Pretty much I walk around like a zombie and everybody kind of leaves me alone because they think I'm sick or something, BUT, sitting at my desk, I'm all jacked up and doing my work at warp speed - WITH MY EYES CLOSED! :)

Matt Sconce
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh jeez, that is quite a story Matt. Oops! Great to hear that you got the shoot in!

Funny bit about the cops and the permits. That must have felt great to have those in hand!

Really looking forward to the bts!

Thanks Ted! It was a blast. Having the permits and knowing we were completely authorized to be there felt absolutely wonderful. There was no "Oh Crap the cops are here" feeling.

Thanks for staying tuned, and I am sure we will not dissapoint.

I'm all jacked up and doing my work at warp speed - WITH MY EYES CLOSED! :)

That is exactly how I felt! Good thing I must be able to operate a crane and such blindfolded!:beer:

Larry Rutledge
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok...I waited as long as I possibly could. I can't wait any longer.....

WHERE ARE THE BTS STILLS?!?!?

:grin: :evil: :grin: :evil: :grin: :evil: :grin: :evil:

Matt Sconce
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Ok...I waited as long as I possibly could. I can't wait any longer.....

WHERE ARE THE BTS STILLS?!?!?

:grin: :evil: :grin: :evil: :grin: :evil: :grin: :evil:

hahaha.....patience my young Padawan. Dark is the path and long is the way that leads to unrevealing Grabs.... Soon, all will be made clear....

Okay I really am tired....That was lame...forgive me.

Some grabs and BTS shots should be posted today or tomorrow.:engel017:

Mark T. Aro
04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
We'll have something up today!

Larry Rutledge
04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
hahaha.....patience my young Padawan. Dark is the path and long is the way that leads to unrevealing Grabs.... Soon, all will be made clear....

Yes, master, I understand....sorry to have pressed, master.

We'll have something up today! I knew I could count on you, Chancellor. I will follow you now, new master...and I will kill all the Jedi that I swore to protect just moments ago. Though I've known them longer, you offer what I desire, so you must be the better one to follow! :evil:

Cool deal guys...hopefully you are recovering some of your missed sleep. Looking forward to continuing to follow this project and to see the final film. :thumbsup:

Charli
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Matt - glad to hear you're okay. Would have been awful if you had fallen, especially if you had fallen on a camera! no really, good to hear coffee perked you up. I thought about you the other day when I was watching fight scenes. Barlow and I are going to try to choregraph a scene and you know what, it sure would help to know some kung-fu chop-suyie.

Mark T. Aro
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
As requested.... snippets of our shoot. keep watching.... more shots and BTS photos to come!

:evil:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176773621.jpg

Mark T. Aro
04-16-2007, 07:38 PM
As promised.... here's some more screen grabs! BTS photos to follow soon!

:evil:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24348/1176775947.jpg

Larry Rutledge
04-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Sweet! Those look great!! :thumbsup: (apprently Benadryl and coffee is the secret mixture to getting great footage :grin: )

Keep up the great work guys!

Mark T. Aro
04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Sweet! Those look great!! :thumbsup: (apprently Benadryl and coffee is the secret mixture to getting great footage :grin: )

Keep up the great work guys!

Thanks! Yeah that and a great crew, did the trick! However there was a dark period on Friday and an even darker one on Saturday that made it appear as though we wouldn't make it through the shoot. We put our actress through hell and at one point I thought that we had lost her, but to her credit, she pulled through with flying colors and ROCKED!!!!!

Paige... How do you eat and elephant! One bite at a time!

Brandon Rice
04-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, the screengrabs look COOL. Were you going stock HVX lens on these?

Matt Sconce
04-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey guys, the screengrabs look COOL. Were you going stock HVX lens on these?
Thanks! We were indeed going stock HVX. We had to, due to the water pouring upon us. I had the water housing for the HVX but not the M2 adapter setup. I didn't want to risk it. Thanks for commenting on the screen grabs!:tongue:

Brandon Rice
04-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Cool... the grabs look good man! Looking forward to the final product!

Matt Sconce
04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks Brandon! More BTS photos will be coming up soon.