PDA

View Full Version : Spies Girls

Pages : [1] 2

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
SPIES GIRLS

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1173071689.jpg

************************************************** ************************************************

4 June 2007 Update.

Cast and Crew List:

Agent Roberta . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nicola Fleur
Agent Robin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lauren Bowler
First Assistant Director . . . . . . . Jodi Jones
Agent Shari . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lacey Lee Elliott
Agent Jarred . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ward McMahon
Agent Brandon . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sammy Hersir
Amy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rebecca L. Dunn
Eric . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Norm Sanders
Agent Kristine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kristine Cofsky
Agent Brianna . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brianna Mason
Agent Hudson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.C.
Agent Mac . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mike Todd
Jack the Pedestrian . . . . . . . . . . Craig Webb
Bucketman . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mischa Haman-Dass

Associate Producer . . . . . . . . . . Kristine Cofsky
Associate Producer . . . . . . . . . . Craig Webb
1st Assistant Director . . . . . . . . Rick Moore
SPFX/Stunts Coordinator . . . . . . Craig Webb
Music/Composer/Arranger . . . . . Erik Paulsen
Wardrobe Supervisor . . . . . . . . . Kristine Cofsky
Camera . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cody Mcdonald
1st A.C. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mischa Haman-Dass
2nd A.C. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.C.
Chief Sound Engineer . . . . . . . . Mischa Haman-Dass
Boom . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pat Maziarski
Makeup . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nicole Louw
Graphic Design . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Gil Livne
Production Assistant . . . . . . . . . Amy Tipton
Transportation Captain . . . . . . . Dave Dunn
ADR Consultant . . . . . . . . . . . . . Charlene Fernetz
Blue Screen Technician . . . . . . . .Craig Meredith
Assistant in Charge of Mixed Drinks . . . Norm "Shirley Temple" Sanders

Special thanks to . . . . . . . . . . . . Thomas FX Group, North Vancouver, Canada

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Reserved for self-indulgent splooge.

Update: 4 March 2007

Script is complete, but not yet locked. Must add the banana scene (remembering at all times that this is a "Hard R" festival).

Casting has begun. Due to the nature of the project, casting will be on a "need to know" basis only. Expect surprises. Or not.

Storyboards will be commenced after script lock.

Locations are being scouted. This will be the second short we've done where we'll have filmed in at least two countries. Preparing my liver now ...

Music is being negotiated. The musician in question is a pro, so acquisition of licences may actually venture into the two-figure range. Very hopeful in that regard, based upon what I have heard so far.

Costumes have been scripted, researched and mail orders will be placed shortly under an assumed name.

All equipment has been acquired. In light of the new Rules, we're abandoning the HVX this time out in favour of my trusty Sony TRV21 (with 35mm adapter kit):

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1173056815.jpg

It's not digital, so it's pretty close to actually shooting on real film (at least that's what the salesman told me).

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Can't WAIT to see what you pull out with this, Brian! Whoo-hoo, and I'm the first to post in your thread too! :beer:

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Norm,

Something tells me you know more than you're revealing ...

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Dude, you're paying me enough to write your script for you, I'd better know something! :)

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Dude, you're paying me enough to write your script for you, I'd better know something! :)

Yeah - and you're already past your deadline, so where are the re-writes?

Sheesh!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Jazz Dog
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
This looks like it will be hilarious....or dead serious....or intriguing...or mysterious....or just have a bunch of hot girls in it....did I cover everything?

Jazz Dog
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I think it is totally appropriate to include a banana too...even if it not a rule....do it.

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
This looks like it will be hilarious....or dead serious....or intriguing...or mysterious....or just have a bunch of hot girls in it....did I cover everything?
I don't do comedy. But as for everything else you've mentioned ...:cheesy:

I think it is totally appropriate to include a banana too...even if it not a rule....do it.
Excellent. Rewriting now. Thanks.:thumbup:

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah - and you're already past your deadline, so where are the re-writes?

Sheesh!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

PayPal showed payment of the two figure sum being bounced by the bank? :shocked: :kali: If I had known this in advance $#%@#$%.:nads:

Yeah, Brian not doing comedy is like saying rain doesn't fall down. The guy's hilarious. This should be good.

Love the Sony TRV ... GENIOUS!

Aaron Marshall
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Awesome idea :) I can't wait to see it.

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
... Love the Sony TRV ... GENIOUS!

Yeah - you have no idea the images this camera can produce.

I kinda feel like it's cheating, but then again ...

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Awesome idea :) I can't wait to see it.

Aaron. You mean: "I can't wait to see them."

There will be two stars in this piece. Equal billing. Side-by-side, spylicious action - beginning to end.

In fact, I doubt most viewers will have the stamina to hold out for the entire five minutes and fifty-nine seconds.

So anyway, I hope you really like them.

Now go to bed.

Edgen
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
ha!! I love the poster and the name just screams to me to watch. :) Looking forward to your entry.

/j

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
... Looking forward to your entry.

/j
"Said the actress to the Bishop ..."

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the comment, my friend.

Michael_Petro
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM

just name the banana B.O.B.

/The girl sitting next to me just punched me... whats up with that:)

Ralph Oshiro
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Dahopa--I can't WAIT to see THIS one!!!

Dahopafilms
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
... /The girl sitting next to me just punched me... whats up with that:)
If she's twelve or under, it means she likes you.

If she's over twelve, it appears that you're sitting next to one of my actresses.

Dahopafilms
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Dahopa--I can't WAIT to see THIS one!!!
Thanks Ralph.

If there was any way I could work you into this one, I would. But I think you'll enjoy it regardless ...

(this coming from the guy who did Contraband. HA!)

Dahopafilms
03-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Update: 6 March 2007

So as of this afternoon, we've locked 7 April as the beginning of location shooting for Spies Girls: The America Tour.

So far, we've managed to involve some pretty amazing on-screen talent on this one. Two key players attached today. No contracts signed yet, but the negotiation on filming dates was "interesting". Big talent. Their "people" wanting to talk to "my people". You get the idea. But it'll be worth it. These actors have chops.

Chatting with the music guru today. I gave him some suggestions on his arrangement. For some reason the telephone line died at that point, so I never got his thoughts. But he's obviously working really hard on it because he's not even answering his phone! Cool, huh?

Will be starting the casting process tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I will be selling tickets to the auditions if anyone is interested. $29.99. VISA and Mastercard accepted. Associate Producer credit granted for an additional $19.95. Any takers? Ralph?

All that accomplished despite recovering from the Promised cast party last night. Promised was this other short I did ... well ... never mind. My problem is that I'm kinda just now recalling that at various points in the evening I may have offered the same part in Spies Girls to three different actresses. I sense a rewrite in my near future slightly expanding the cast ...

That's it for now. Until next time, America ...

bosindy
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I hope there is some spy girl/spy girl, ehem, action like "Promised" if you get my drift. I am looing forward to this one. good luck with it.

RebeccaD
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
This one looks great. Can't wait!

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
I hope there is some spy girl/spy girl, ehem, action like "Promised" if you get my drift. I am looing forward to this one. good luck with it.
It was either the banana scene or a Promised-revisited scene. We'd already done Promised, so guess which scene we cut.

And given your reference to "loos", I assume you're familiar with my body of work (does that joke work or is it too "English"? And is there a verb "to loo"?).

Thanks for the comment and kind words.

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 12:09 AM
This one looks great. Can't wait!
Thanks, Rebecca. You and that other guy (his name slips my mind for a moment - sorry) really have set a very high bar for the rest of us. I'm really going to try to do pretty much everything within my reach to ramp it up a little and come close to emulating your achievements.

Cheers.

Norm Sanders
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
It's Norm. Get it right. :kali:You folks from Vancouver are all alike. #$%#@$%

:grin: (this means sarcasm, for anyone who thinks I'm serious)

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
It's Norm. Get it right. :kali:You folks from Vancouver are all alike. #$%#@$%

:grin: (this means sarcasm, for anyone who thinks I'm serious)
Er ... no. I was actually thinking of Ryan Walters (Semele).

But I'm sure you've done some nice things too, Norm.

cinealma
03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey, that camera set-up is the bomb! Where's my Canon handicam at? You sure can't beat Hi-8 for that GRUNGE look. :thumbsup:

RebeccaD
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Rebecca. You and that other guy (his name slips my mind for a moment - sorry) really have set a very high bar for the rest of us. I'm really going to try to do pretty much everything within my reach to ramp it up a little and come close to emulating your achievements.

Cheers.

Thanks for the nice compliments. Ryan will be very pleased with your kind words.... :laugh:

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey, that camera set-up is the bomb! Where's my Canon handicam at? You sure can't beat Hi-8 for that GRUNGE look. :thumbsup:
Yeah - it's an awesome camera. But it's regular 8mm. I'm still saving up for something in Hi-8.

Brandon Rice
03-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Can't wait for your film man! :)

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the nice compliments. Ryan will be very pleased with your kind words.... :laugh:
Sorry - now I'm actually laughing out loud, tears in my eyes because Norm actually removed his reply! That cracks me up.

Dahopafilms
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Can't wait for your film man! :)
Thanks Brandon. Now stop posting and start shooting, ya young whipper snapper!:laugh:

Brandon Rice
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Uh... if you'll notice my posting hasn't been very much these days... I've been workin'

Tom Marshall
03-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Er ... no. I was actually thinking of Ryan Walters (Semele).

But I'm sure you've done some nice things too, Norm.

Yeah, Norm... it's not all about you, buddy... :grin:

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry - now I'm actually laughing out loud, tears in my eyes because Norm actually removed his reply! That cracks me up.

Yeah, I know ... even though it was in TOTAL jest, I didn't want to look like an ass-hat to anyone who may have taken it otherwise.

Wonder when Ryan's going to open his thread ... I've got the skinny on his concept, and it rocks.

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Update: 10 March 2007

So as of this morning, we've scheduled auditions for March 17 for some of our lead roles. Received almost 30 applications (some of which were, quite frankly, scary - and not in the "good way") and I narrowed the candidates to ten - any of whom would be drop dead perfect for what I need here.

Amidst a "week from Hell", also managed to get most of the Crew on board and work up a draft budget. It appears that the biggest line item is for hair dryers. Hmmmm.

Associate Producer formally on board as of today. A great choice. And, contrary to what I had been told, she tells me that working with me on this is not a parole violation as long as no minors are within 300 yards of the set. Perfect!

1st AD on board and he's already suggesting a page one rewrite. This brought tears to my eyes because rumour had it the guy couldn't even read the back of a cereal box. Apparently he can. It's a miracle! A miracle I tell you!

Stunts/Weapons Master on board. Only slightly concerned that he sits alone in a corner fondling a rather nasty looking submachine gun, giggling to himself and muttering something about "My Pretty". Maybe it's just that he had too much coffee. Or benzedrine.

Finally, I just heard the first cut of the music guru's sample. Although I'm going to suggest he tones down the harp section, I still think he's a freaking genious. I wonder what he's doing working with me?

That's it for now. Courage, America.

cinealma
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Associate Producer formally on board as of today. A great choice. And, contrary to what I had been told, she tells me that working with me on this is not a parole violation as long as no minors are within 300 yards of the set. Perfect!

Awesome!

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Uh... if you'll notice my posting hasn't been very much these days... I've been workin'
Hey Brandon. When you're working on an entry for the fest, you're working for all of us! Thanks man!

Looks to be a very cool flick! Nice poster
Hey, thanks! If you like the poster I hope you're going to like the short because I'm thinking of basically just filming the poster for 6 minutes.

Yeah, Norm... it's not all about you, buddy...
Yeah - that was the best day of my entire week. Open the door, put a burning paper bag filled with poo on the other side and wait for Norm to come in and stomp on it. It's kinda too easy sometimes, but those are the moments we savour. Forever.

So, in case there's any doubts - I'm sorry Norm. I promise that one day we'll meet up and I'll buy you a nice cold beer or three and we'll actually laugh about this. You're a very good sport - and a really easy target, too. So for the rest of us it's a pretty fantastic combination.

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I know ... even though it was in TOTAL jest, I didn't want to look like an ass-hat to anyone who may have taken it otherwise.

Wonder when Ryan's going to open his thread ... I've got the skinny on his concept, and it rocks.
Rule #1: Genuine ass-hats have no ability to control whether or not they look like ass-hats.

Rule #2: When Norm tries a thread-jack, typically he tries to direct people to his own thread. So this is a very un-typical day! Hmmm ...

(and - oh yeah - in case anyone thinks I'm serious when I'm pulling Norm's tail, please refer to Rule #1, above, and then go and look in a mirror)

Ted Arabian
03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh, man.... this thread is hysterical! Really looking forward to following this.

Good luck!

-Ted

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 04:25 PM
You're right, I AM an easy target. Thankfully I also bring a lot of it on myself, and will usually rip on myself in jest before others get the chance to. You should see the continual onslaught I get from my friends at the gym, or any other corner of life actually. I'm sometimes amazed my wrists aren't scarred from multiple laceration attempts, lol.

I can tell if we're ever around each other, the jokes, laughs & sarcasm are going to fly! :thumbsup:

While I'm fine with beer, that's really more of my wife's thing. I'm more of a mixed drink guy, with my favorite currently being the 'Catagory 5 Hurricane' ... unfortunately this drink that should be respected (stronger than a Long Island Iced Tea), gets a lot of giggles as they always insist on serving it with every pansy fruit they can find INCLUDING the umbrella! :furious3:

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Update: 10 March 2007
Stunts/Weapons Master on board. Only slightly concerned that he sits alone in a corner fondling a rather nasty looking submachine gun, giggling to himself and muttering something about "My Pretty". Maybe it's just that he had too much coffee. Or benzedrine.

This one had me rolling.

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
... You should see the continual onslaught I get from my friends at the gym ...
Err ... you go to a gym?

Ki-Ki
03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Sure he does, all americans go to the gym...don't they?

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, they have this spa that's connected next door called "Elements". They have an incredible full body seaweed wrap there; I just can't get enough of it.

I like to skip rope in the basketball court too, or get in on any high stakes hop scotch games going on...

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Sure he does, all americans go to the gym...don't they?
I thought it was that "All Americans were called Jim".

You mean they're not?

Dahopafilms
03-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, they have this spa that's connected next door called "Elements". They have an incredible full body seaweed wrap there; I just can't get enough of it.

I like to skip rope in the basketball court too, or get in on any high stakes hop scotch games going on...
Two things Norm. Stop jacking my thread. And stop being funnier than me.

Thank you.

(Norm, this one had me rolling with laughter. Nice job - they say the best jokes are those founded at least partially in fact!)

Ki-Ki
03-10-2007, 05:16 PM
SPICE GIRLS!!!

Sorry...just noticed.

Norm Sanders
03-10-2007, 05:21 PM
You're too much. Okay, back to topic: REALLY looking forward to seeing who you cast as the leads! :grin:

Texture
03-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Ah, always love the Dahopa thread, always a good laugh to be found! :)

Dahopafilms
03-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Ah, always love the Dahopa thread, always a good laugh to be found! :)

How very coincidental.

Are you from Kentucky?

RebeccaD
03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
OMG Brian! I was cracking up over the banter with Norm....so funny. Good times. Whenever we are around Norm he often beats us to the punch on himself. My husband has definitely called him out on a few things at the gym. Yeah, we all go there because we are freaking shallow Americans. Lol.

Dahopafilms
03-11-2007, 11:05 PM
OMG Brian! I was cracking up over the banter with Norm....so funny. Good times. Whenever we are around Norm he often beats us to the punch on himself. My husband has definitely called him out on a few things at the gym. Yeah, we all go there because we are freaking shallow Americans. Lol.
Norm who?

Dahopafilms
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Not to give any of my ultra-secret plot away, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm in the midst of salary negotiations with on-screen talent and have reached a bit of an impasse.

The question is this: What is the standard rate for female bikini models?

And is it cheaper when you book more then seven at one time?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norm Sanders
03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
This last post of yours has me confused as to whether you're joking or not. :)

Dahopafilms
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
This last post of yours has me confused ...
C'mon, Norm.

Fess up.

That statement pretty much applies to all the posts, doesn't it?

(and a one week moratorium on taking cheap shots at Norm is now declared to allow Norm some time to repair and check in with his analyst)

Robert Sanders
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
"Spies Girls" I love it!

And how much are a gaggle of bikini models?

Ki-Ki
03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Get a couple of transexuals, real cheap. Look out Mrs Doubtfire..

RebeccaD
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
C'mon, Norm.

Fess up.

That statement pretty much applies to all the posts, doesn't it?

(and a one week moratorium on taking cheap shots at Norm is now declared to allow Norm some time to repair and check in with his analyst)

Roflamao. Nice. Any luck on your bikini beotch hunt? :evil:

Charli
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Spies Girls, you know you really want it, you really want it, you really, really want it.. no, wait, that's Spice Girls. OMG I'm so confused.

Dahopafilms
03-13-2007, 12:06 AM
... Any luck on your bikini beotch hunt? :evil:
It's all good. Thanks. Auditions Saturday. Have begun a course of physician-prescribed anaphrodisiacs in preparation. I feel eight years old again.

Already started making the bikinis myself in order to save on production costs. First time sewing. Weird how the seams always unravel ...

Spies Girls, you know you really want it, you really want it, you really, really want it.. no, wait, that's Spice Girls. OMG I'm so confused.
You're not confused. You're just succumbing to my cunning plan of clever deception, obfuscation and non-infringment on an entirely unrelated name identification.

Rather spy-like - don't you think?

RebeccaD
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
It's all good. Thanks. Auditions Saturday. Have begun a course of physician-prescribed anaphrodisiacs in preparation. I feel eight years old again.

Already started making the bikinis myself in order to save on production costs. First time sewing. Weird how the seams always unravel ...

How does one audition for the bikini role, exactly? Lol. Way to save on production costs with the attire, though. So talented! :smile: Seriously, I hope you have a great turnout and it all goes well for you Sat.

Dahopafilms
03-13-2007, 05:09 PM
How does one audition for the bikini role, exactly? Lol. Way to save on production costs with the attire, though. So talented! :smile: Seriously, I hope you have a great turnout and it all goes well for you Sat.

Notes for audition:

Breath in.

Breath out.

Turn right.

Turn left.

Now - run in place.

Thank you. You can get dressed now.

Next!

Audition pics will be posted Sunday (assuming anyone really cares about that).

bosindy
03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Breath in.

Breath out.

Turn right.

Turn left.

Now - run in place.

Next!).

other than "turn your head and cough" eerily similar to my last physical. I Will only speak for myself but I would not mind seeing an audition picture or two :smile:

Tom Marshall
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Notes for audition:

Breath in.

Breath out.

Turn right.

Turn left.

Now - run in place.

Next!

Audition pics will be posted Sunday (assuming anyone really cares about that).

What, no trampoline??

Robert Sanders
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
What, no trampoline??

YES!

Dahopafilms
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Mandatory audition equipment:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1173851195.jpg

RebeccaD
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
That is funny. This thread is killing me. We actually just installed our trampoline here. :happy:

Norm Sanders
03-14-2007, 10:21 PM
We actually just installed our trampoline here. :happy:

Boy, you're just really trying to open yourself up to an onslaught there, aren't you Rebecca, lol!

Dahopafilms
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
... We actually just installed our trampoline here. :happy:
Hmmm. Making Norm audition on a trampoline?

There's an image in there somewhere that is more than slightly disturbing ...

RebeccaD
03-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Boy, you're just really trying to open yourself up to an onslaught there, aren't you Rebecca, lol!

What?! :engel017:

Brian, I would actually be afraid to have Norm on our trampoline, as he practically paralyzed himself on his own. I'll let him share that story..... How is the progress going for your film?

Norm Sanders
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
... (and a one week moratorium on taking cheap shots at Norm is now declared to allow Norm some time to repair and check in with his analyst)

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You can't pick on me yet until the moratorium is up. Ahhh, freedom! :grin:

Dahopafilms
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
... How is the progress going for your film?
Well, we're on budget and on timeline. Working a little bit with one of the leads over the last few days. There are some fairly difficult lines in this one (thanks to the crappy writer), but I have every confidence that the actor can deliver as long as the crappy director doesn't screw it up (again).

In terrific discussions with my wardrobe designer/associate producer and she has some really great ideas. Our music man is pumping out some pretty amazing stuff and I must say I'm learning a lot from a real pro this time out. Sound editing and music have always been a significant weakness for me. That, and tube tops. But I digress ...

Again, we cast the remaining principals this weekend (17 March) and start shooting 7 April (screaming up on us really fast, actually ...). It looks like we may wrap principal photography (and doesn't that sound pretentious) May 5 when some of our Los Angeles-based talent is (finally) available to us.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You can't pick on me yet until the moratorium is up. Ahhh, freedom!
Hey man - I was respecting the moratorium and my post wasn't referring to an image of you. I was actually picturing an image of Rebecca's face as she was watching you on a trampoline. Horrific, if you ask me (we already did HorrorFest, didn't we?).

Tom Marshall
03-15-2007, 02:21 PM
That is funny. This thread is killing me. We actually just installed our trampoline here. :happy:

Oh, you guys HAVE to put in a trampoline scene in this thing... and let Rebecca wear her "mu-mu" :evil:

RebeccaD
03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
OMG! Lol. You sound like my husband. He keeps hoping for "Girls on trampoline"..... Boys, boys.

Geoff_R
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
OMG! Lol. You sound like my husband. He keeps hoping for "Girls on trampoline"..... Boys, boys.
Remember 'The Man Show', with Adam Carolla...that was a great show!

RebeccaD
03-15-2007, 06:39 PM

That's exactly what I was remembering when I wrote that. Lol. How funny.

Charli
03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Bikini auditions? Oh man, that's the most (bleep)... oh wait, I'm in a male driven site, never mind. I'm thinking this is a comedy.

Tom Marshall
03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
What do you mean WAS a great show? Did that take that off the air???

I remember watching that show and then they'd say... "And now, girls on trampolines..." and I would sit back and say... "sweeeeeet..." :)

Dahopafilms
03-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, you guys HAVE to put in a trampoline scene in this thing... and let Rebecca wear her "mu-mu" :evil:
Hey Tom, great idea - only Rebecca is eons away and ... well ... my guess is she's kinda going to be sticking with the "more serious" contenders this time out - namely her own project.

Maybe next time ...

Bikini auditions? Oh man, that's the most (bleep)... oh wait, I'm in a male driven site, never mind. I'm thinking this is a comedy.
I don't do comedy.

But maybe for the next fest I can try and combine some comedy with tramps ... er, trampolines. And cheerleaders. Yeah - cheerleaders. How about cheerleader nurses on trampolines? ... but ... I think I may have seen that movie the other night ... so it's been done ...

Norm Sanders
03-16-2007, 01:42 AM
But maybe for the next fest I can try and combine some comedy with tramps ... er, trampolines. And cheerleaders. Yeah - cheerleaders. How about cheerleader nurses on tampolines? ... but ... I think I may have seen that movie the other night ... so it's been done ...

Eh ... Cheerleaders, Nurses, French Maids ... it's all good. :happy:

ripupthehwy
03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
can't wait to see the spice girls..uh spies girls. Very Nice!

Dahopafilms
03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Eh ... Cheerleaders, Nurses, French Maids ... it's all good. :happy:
Hey Norm.

I think people may be getting the wrong idea here. This is a serious, classy beautiful short we're working on.

Amusing little postings about cheerleaders and nurses and trampolines are fun, but I really think that French Maid references are a little over the line and really do cheapen what we are setting out to do here as artistes.

And our project is "Spies Girls: the America Tour 2007". Cheerleaders and nurses (and yes, even trampolines) are solid parts of the "American experience" ("Americana", if you will). French maids are, well, French. They're simply not appropriate.

I'm sure you understand.

Thank you.

Norm Sanders
03-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Sure, pick on the guy that just takes it one too far. I mean, there always has to be one of them at the party, right? So why not have it be me ... at least that's my motto, lol.

K, Mr. Classy ... change your banner, because right now it screams 'Camo Babes' meets 'Gilligan's Island'. :grin:

Dahopafilms
03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
... right now it screams 'Camo Babes' meets 'Gilligan's Island'. :grin:
Well, it seems you've got your hands on one of our scripts.

So it looks like a page one re-write is in order ...

(and by the way, camouflage and Gilligans Island are truly Americana, aren't they?)

Tom Marshall
03-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey Tom, great idea - only Rebecca is eons away and ... well ... my guess is she's kinda going to be sticking with the "more serious" contenders this time out - namely her own project.

Maybe next time ...

Hey, gives you a perfect chance to collaborate... I'm sure Norm could film her and then send you the footage... :beer:

Speaking of which... did you guys hear about the latest girl they kicked off the "Pussycat Girls" show? They said she was too slutty to be a part of the group... are you KIDDING me?? Too slutty?? :huh:

Dahopafilms
03-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Hey, gives you a perfect chance to collaborate...
"Collaberation" is for those weenies who are too a-scared to do stuff on their own.

In other words. I have no friends and no one will work with me.

Bummer, man.

Texture
03-17-2007, 08:06 AM
In other words. I have no friends and no one will work with me.

Bummer, man.

Maybe its time to switch colognes? I'm an "Old Spies" man myself...

Dahopafilms
03-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Maybe its time to switch colognes? I'm an "Old Spies" man myself....
Brutal.

Simply brutal.

(shouldn't you be out shovelling snow or something?):cool:

Tom Marshall
03-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Brutal.

Simply brutal.

Snow? What's snow? Oh, is that the stuff that they sell in Miami? I think they call that Columbian snow... must be what you're referring to...

Texture
03-17-2007, 04:46 PM

All dug out!!! I usually shovel the old lady next door's walk too. She says she's interested in being in the film!

She's about 4'11'' with a tough Northern Jersey accent, a prominent mole and a lazy eye. Can we fly her out?

Dahopafilms
03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
All dug out!!! I usually shovel the old lady next door's walk too. She says she's interested in being in the film!

She's about 4'11'' with a tough Northern Jersey accent, a prominent mole and a lazy eye. Can we fly her out?
Yes. I most certainly have a part for her (she doesn't have a fear of trampolines, does she?).

Just hand her a broom and she can get here on her own.

Dahopafilms
03-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Update: 18 March 2007

So we finished our casting yesterday. I got home early this morning after checking myself out of the hospital. They say I'm pretty much recovered.

Three awesome new talents are now attached: Agent One, Agent Robin and Agent Roberta. Not only can these people act, but they also have incredibly positive attitudes. They'll lose those by the time we finish filming.

Here are four frame grabs from the auditions:

Agent One:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174490735.jpg

Agent Robin:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174490863.jpg

Agent Roberta:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174490925.jpg

"Barb" (didn't make the cut):

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174243315.jpg

I am specifically not attaching the images from the bikini auditions. There simply wasn't enough interest shown on the thread. If you want to see those, I'm selling them for $29.99. Each. And that's better than the deal I gave that neurosurgeon this morning.

Working through a few location issues now. They'll be resolved in a week.

The music is coming along. It's amazing the sound you can get out of eleven ukeleles, two bagpipes and a conga drum. Very cool.

Then it's lock the script and prepare the storyboards. Then filming.

On timeline. On budget.

And that's the way it is, America.

Cheers.:beer:

Norm Sanders
03-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I am specifically not attaching the images from the bikini auditions. There simply wasn't enough interest shown on the thread. ************************************************** ***************

I don't think anyone was interested in 'images' anyway ... I'm pretty sure they were hoping for full motion video clips. :evil:

RebeccaD
03-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Roflmao! Okay, my husband says he wants one for $29.99. Maybe we can get a buy one/get one for Norm? :engel017:

Kyle Stebbins
03-19-2007, 12:43 AM
This looks like a ton of fun. What a great looking cast. Good luck!!
-kyle

Dahopafilms
03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Roflmao! Okay, my husband says he wants one for $29.99. Maybe we can get a buy one/get one for Norm? :engel017:
Rebecca - DEAL! Delighted to send him TWO for that price (it's a one-off special, so don't get excited, people). I'll cover the shipping and handling, too.

Please post in this thread your husband's full name, billing address, his Mom's maiden name and his VISA card number and expiry date (along with that weird little 3 digit code on the back of the signature panel) and I'll put them in the mail straight away.

And I already have the above information from Norm, so don't worry about him.

Thanks!

Dahopafilms
03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
This looks like a ton of fun. What a great looking cast. Good luck!!
-kyle
Thanks Kyle. It is a serious piece dealing with contemporary social issues, but we'll do our best to have fun making it. And yes, our cast is great-looking, but I must say they pale in comparison to the Director.

Cheers!

Norm Sanders
03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
And I already have the above information from Norm, so don't worry about him.

*with quivering lower lip* But, you said you just needed that information for the pizza delivery man! :embarasse

Dahopafilms
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I posted some pics above of some of the cast.

Upon seeing that, some of the behind-the-scenes contributors started whining about being ignored.

So here's a picture of our expert composer/musician/arranger extraordinaire in a relaxed moment at the helm of his melodious flagship:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174451358.jpg

Edgen
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Oh. I kinda in a round about sorta way worked with Agent Roberta. If so, hella actress and super nice girl.

I love the old skool mac sitting there amongst the glory in your composer's studio. After that picture was taken, he probably chucked it back in the storage bin. :)

/j

Dahopafilms
03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh. I kinda in a round about sorta way worked with Agent Roberta. If so, hella actress and super nice girl.

I love the old skool mac sitting there amongst the glory in your composer's studio. After that picture was taken, he probably chucked it back in the storage bin. :)

/j
Yeah - I try and only work with super nice girls.:beer:

As for the Mac, it's odd that you noticed that. The Mac was the only piece of equipment that I didn't photoshop into that scene.

Thanks Justin.

RebeccaD
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Lol. That's funny. The MAC looks like one of my dad's.

Dahopafilms
03-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Lol. That's funny. The MAC looks like one of my dad's.
My guess is that your Dad looks much better than what is under that bucket.

Just a guess.

Texture
03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Is that a bucket? Perhaps our composer has been spending a little too much time with his Mac...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/mac_os_logo.gif

The similarity is striking? Don't you think?

RebeccaD
03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
My guess is that your Dad looks much better than what is under that bucket.

Just a guess.

Lol. Oh yeah, he's a hottie. :huh:

Charli
03-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Whoa, you're cute! lol, love the work station. Mine is composed of a laptop and flat screen monitor. Equipment, equipment, what I would do for some good equipment.

Dahopafilms
03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Update: 26 March 2007

Took advantage of the day today to head out and scout a location. I wanted a place that hadn't been seen by anyone, yet still carried the impact needed for the story. Of course, the place I've chosen has been seen in The Groundstar Conspiracy to The Core to Agent Cody Banks to Stargate SG-1 to Battlestar Galactica to The Sixth Day to ... well, you get the idea.

Maybe I'll use a filter to make it appear "fresh" and "new".

A few pics:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174895201.jpg
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174895817.jpg
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174895871.jpg

I won't give any of the story line away, but suffice to hint that don't these buildings bear a remarkable resemblance to a Chiquita banana factory?

That's the update.

Good night, and good luck.

Cheers.:beer:

BLUESPIDER
03-26-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm down to see this!

Texture
03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh crap!!! That's some awesome cool architecture, but... Does this mean we're not gonna use the lego village I was building for this thing? Sigh...

Dahopafilms
03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh crap!!! That's some awesome cool architecture, but... Does this mean we're not gonna use the lego village I was building for this thing? Sigh...
No, Erik. We're still rewriting the script to include your Greenwich Village brownstone with Fed-Ex truck.

And yes, it made it here in one piece. See?

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1174970743.jpg

*sigh*

(note the Lego rat on the roof - HA! It's not to scale, man!)

Now get back to your cute little piano and come up with something that doesn't sound like "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", would ya?:laugh:

Texture
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
The legos stay!!! Yes!!!!!! :)

Don't worry about the oversized rat... Nobody's gonna notice.

The pryotechnics are gonna be amazing in this scene, hehe. Nobody is going to be able to tell this wasn't a real Fedex truck exploding!!! Mwahahahah!

RebeccaD
03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm just impressed with the lego ability here. Nicely done.

Texture
03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm just impressed with the lego ability here. Nicely done.

Prego!

Keystoned
03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
heheh, I can't tell much about your film with all the tom foolery here.
but I can tell that it has girls, and will be fun - mostly from the tom foolery here.
So I am looking forward to it, lol. :laugh: :thumbsup:

Brandon Rice
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Where Is That Location?
?

Norm Sanders
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
The lego set? I think it's pretty portable, so it could be shipped to you? :grin:

Dahopafilms
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
heheh, I can't tell much about your film with all the tom foolery here.
but I can tell that it has girls, and will be fun - mostly from the tom foolery here.
So I am looking forward to it, lol. :laugh: :thumbsup:
Thanks, man. In the words of Todd Rundgren, we're doing our very best to deliver Something ... Anything ...

Where Is That Location?
Hey Brandon! Yes ... the location ... well ...

Let me put it this way. Erik has given away a little secret here. That's OK because we like Erik. The Lego comment was actually a cunningly veiled reference to the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) building in London - known locally as "Legoland". We actually asked for permission to film there - and believe it or not they agreed. Then they wanted us to give them an Associate Producer credit so we told them to stuff it.

And then Erik built us the brownstone replica.

Here's a pic of Legoland, by the way (Erik's version is better):

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1175185501.jpg

Dahopafilms
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Being in a particularly good mood today, I thought I'd post some further cast information.

In addition to our three fantastic spies referred to earlier, we have also successfully cast Jodi Jones in one of our lead roles for Spies Girls. Jodi has the perfect look for her role and I doubt even the poop-for-brains director could screw this one up.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1175185859.jpg

And not only is Jodi a helluva actor, but she's a great person and so will fit in very well with everyone else on this shoot (except, perhaps for one of our male prima donna actors "south of the border" who is presently grinding me on residuals and wanting his own trailer).

I'll post more cast information and pics when I feel like it.

Cheers all!

RebeccaD
03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks like a nice "enhancement" to the project, Brian. Kudos! :beer:

Dahopafilms
03-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Looks like a nice "enhancement" to the project, Brian. Kudos! :beer:
Hey Rebecca - from you that's a huge compliment.

Congrats on how your project is progressing. Maybe we can work together one day.

Cheers!:beer:

Texture
03-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Great news on the new cast addition...

Looks like everything is on track, but still, I can't help but wonder?

When did you find a sunny day in Vancouver to shoot that spies girls poster?

Funny, I don't remember Stanley Park looking so lush... :huh:

Ah, its been a while since I've been over there, global warming I guess?

Dahopafilms
03-31-2007, 01:48 PM
... When did you find a sunny day in Vancouver to shoot that spies girls poster?

Funny, I don't remember Stanley Park looking so lush... :huh:

Ah, its been a while since I've been over there, global warming I guess?
Hey Erik. You been hanging out with Norm a lot lately?

Just wondering.

Dahopafilms
03-31-2007, 02:26 PM
The following is a recently obtained photograph of Spies Girls operative [name expurgated from transmission], covertly inserted in [location expurgated from transmission] on [date expurgated from transmission]. The photograph was obtained using a gun-mounted camera by a now-deceased hostile who [name expurgated from transmission] momentarily mistook as a fashion photographer for Camouflage Monthly.

In the firefight that followed almost immediately after the photograph was taken and despite being severely injured and breaking a nail, it has been independently confirmed that [name expurgated from transmission] terminated not less than seven hostiles and one small rabbit (the latter due to collateral damage). She then avoided further detection and RTB within two weeks after a brief shopping spree in Prague, Czech Republic [Hey Verne, should we have expurgated that reference?].

Having since been removed from field duties as a result of the injuries she sustained, [name expurgated from transmission] has been promoted and is presently serving as First Assistant to the Director of Covert Operations.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1175383469.jpg

End transmission.

Texture
04-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Having since been removed from field duties as a result of the injuries she sustained, [name expurgated from transmission] has been promoted and is presently serving as First Assistant to the Director of Covert Operations.

Wait, you mean our film is going to be about Covert Operations?

Holy Cow! I'm glad we're going to touch on this very important subject. I've heard some terrible stories about these Covert Operations thingys. A friend of mine told me, based on a reliable source that a friend of his friend's, friend had fallen asleep on the subway and woken only to find that it was actually a day later and one of his kidneys had been stolen!!!

Dahopafilms
04-01-2007, 03:19 PM
... you mean our film is going to be about Covert Operations ...

OK, OK.

Proof positive that our friends from the East Coast have absolutely no ability to keep anything under wraps.

Formal announcement. Yes, Texture (Erik) is doing the music for this thing. And what he's done so far is terrific.

And he built Legoland for us.

And as good as his Lego skills are, his music is better. A lot better.

Keystoned
04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Cool update on Eric composing. Anything for us to hear?

-zach-
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I just can't get this one thought out of my head:

This is going to be the "Bucketman" of SpyFest.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit:

of course, I just checked and.... dahopa made Bucketman.

I'm okay with stating the obvious.

Norm Sanders
04-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Bucketman was a pretty obvious spoof on one film; SIMILO. It'll be interesting to see if this does in fact spoof any past films, and if so which one. 18 Seconds? :evil: That could prove interesting, given some of the subject matter that some of the folks were talking about, lol.

-zach-
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Bucketman was a pretty obvious spoof on one film; SIMILO.

right, and I was like, wow, in a lot of ways this is reminding me of Bucketman.

HeroFest was right around the time I joined, so I wasn't that much involved in it.

spoof of 18 Seconds
That would make my year.

Texture
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Cool update on Erik composing. Anything for us to hear?

Sorry, nothing to hear as of this date. We're going for a very special sound here and I'm trying to keep it under wraps so it remains a surprise...

Imagine Monty Python's Spam song combined with that most beautiful of seventies love ballads, "Lady" by the band Styx or maybe "The Air that I Breathe" by the Hollies.

The idea is for the viewers to laugh so hard that they cry and if they find nothing funny about the music or film, at least they'll still get a good cry!

See, I've read the script and I'm not still not quite sure if we're doing a sensitive love story or a comedy, so I want to leave all bases covered! :)

Click on my site below to hear samples of my work. Or search for "Bezier Curves" on iTunes by Erik Paulsen and you can hear a sample there.

Dahopafilms
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Er ... Erik - you've read the script.

If you think this is a comedy, we better chat.

And more "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" and less David Gates, please. Or is that Bill Gates?

Anyway, gotta run - will address the earlier replies shortly.

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Hah. Cool. Erik in mix, addin' Texture and flava.

Looking forward to it.

Texture
04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey,

Shout out to my homey JDS...

Wasup Brooklyn? :)

Always good to see your face...

Dahopafilms
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Just catching up on a few posts.

Cool update on Eric composing. Anything for us to hear?
Actually, now you mention it I think I'll put something online around May 31. Think The Gatlin Brothers meet Meatloaf (is there an echo in here?). You'll love it.

...I just can't get this one thought out of my head:

This is going to be the "Bucketman" of SpyFest. ...
Actually, we're going serious this time so if we're lucky and work really hard, perhaps this will be the "Contraband" of SpyFest. Cool, huh?

...Bucketman was a pretty obvious spoof on one film; SIMILO ...
Musician turned critic. Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envision
spoof of 18 Seconds

That would make my year.
I fear a wave of crippling disappointment and "non-year-making" will sweep over Zach around June 1. Sorry in advance, man.

... Looking forward to it.
I'm sorry, sir. I believe you've wandered into the wrong thread.

...Shout out to my homey ...Wasup ...
Oh dear. This was the motto of the Audio Visual Club the year Erik was vice-president.

Erik, are you sure you're not related to Norm?

-zach-
04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I fear a wave of crippling disappointment and "non-year-making" will sweep over Zach around June 1. Sorry in advance, man.

No problem, I get the jist.

My year'll be made if I get to see my SpyFest entry actually entered.

Brandon Rice
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Actually, we're going serious this time so if we're lucky and work really hard, perhaps this will be the "Contraband" of SpyFest. Cool, huh?

VERY cool! "Contraband" was one of my favorites in Sci-Fest! :thumbsup:

RebeccaD
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Congrats on how your project is progressing. Maybe we can work together one day.

Cheers!:beer:

I would love to work with you sometime, Brian! Name the date! We have had some great progress on our project, yes. Whew! Time is flying!

Norm Sanders
04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
She's SO fickle ... she used to like to work with Norm, but then NOW she wants to work with Brian, blah, blah, blah.

I think it'd be fun to work with Brian too ... in a masochistic kind of way. :grin:

Dahopafilms
04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
... My year'll be made if I get to see my SpyFest entry actually entered.
Well, I think there's a lot of people - including me - looking forward to your entry my friend. So just get out there and get 'er done.

The only thing worse than a bad entry is no entry at all. I've lived my life by that motto. As you can tell from some of my previous entries. Cheers.

Dahopafilms
04-04-2007, 11:42 AM
VERY cool! "Contraband" was one of my favorites in Sci-Fest! :thumbsup:
Funny you should mention that Brandon. I know one guy from South Carolina (who's pretty cool, actually) whose favourite film is Ishtar. I feel better about myself now. Thanks, man.

Dahopafilms
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
... I think it'd be fun to work with Brian too ... in a masochistic kind of way. :grin:
I'm getting this rather nasty, unsettled feeling in my stomach right now.

Kinda like two-week old Campbells' Chunky Corn Chowder being pressure-forced through a 1/2 inch surgical tube. Gosh, I didn't get that feeling after I read Rebecca's post.

I don't like it.

Charli
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Daph - I dunno, buddy, I'm not sure I can watch your film now, you killed Thumper! Please tell me it was a quick and painless death. The horror. The sorrow.

Norm Sanders
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Gosh, I didn't get that feeling after I read Rebecca's post.

I don't like it.

Lol! That's because Rebecca's a sweetheart, and I'm .... not. :grin:

Dahopafilms
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Daph - I dunno, buddy, I'm not sure I can watch your film now, you killed Thumper! Please tell me it was a quick and painless death. The horror. The sorrow.
Hey Charli.

Actually, I was not present at the death of Thumper so I don't know if it was quick or painless. All I know is that I got a call from the doctor and she told me the rabbit died. Bummer.

And how did you know my real name is Daphne?

Texture
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
OK, I've been a little busy here, haven't had time to read the whole thread but I see we've run so far awry that we're talking about dead pets?!?!

Well I hope this request is not coming at the wrong time then...

I was wondering if anyone in the New York area had a pet monkey I could borrow for the next month?

I promise I'll take good care of it, I just need it to turn the crank on the back my music system while I'm working on this project. Man my arm is getting tired!!!

Norm Sanders
04-06-2007, 08:30 PM
So, Brian, at what point are you going to quit yappin' about this movie, and actually start SHOOTING something?! Sheesh. :grin:

Dahopafilms
04-06-2007, 10:57 PM
... I was wondering if anyone in the New York area had a pet monkey I could borrow for the next month?

I promise I'll take good care of it, I just need it to turn the crank on the back my music system while I'm working on this project. Man my arm is getting tired!!!
MEMO TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK:

It has come to my attention that most or all of you may be selfishly consuming more than your fair share of resources at the expense of others. Specifically, it appears that your aggregate respiration is sucking the air out of the great State of New Jersey and depriving your good neighbours of sufficient oxygen.

It would be really appreciated if we could all just hold our collective breaths and see if Erik returns to his senses any time soon.

Dahopafilms
04-06-2007, 10:59 PM
So, Brian, at what point are you going to quit yappin' about this movie, and actually start SHOOTING something?! Sheesh. :grin:
Pssst.

Hey Norm.

I thought we agreed - no more steroids, OK?

Dahopafilms
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Ahhhh.

Home at last. Day 1 of filming complete. A whirlwind location tour. My liver will never be the same. And I quit early.

A few pics (over 273 were taken - these are the only ones I can show. Sorry).

Just to prove that we indeed did a little filming, here is a picture of principal camera op Cody McDonald resting his head on the camera housing preparing for the post-filming festivities:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176167767.jpg

Here are three of our extraordinary cast members during a much-needed break:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176167244.jpg

In this pic, 1st A.C. and Chief Sound Tech Mischa Haman-Dass ensures that the cast and crew recover from and avoid the dibilitating effects of dehydration. Nice of him.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176167619.jpg

Mischa taking a moment to perform an eye test. He failed with his left eye but passed with the right. How very odd.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176167361.jpg

One of our cast members just a little later into the evening. I believe she may have an "Iced Tea" allergy. But she still did better than one of our other cast members who never even made it dancing. I believe she must have got a bad olive in her salad.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176167559.jpg

For a number of reasons, I will post a few more pics after the films go up. Just a few.

Cheers all.

Norm Sanders
04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Looks like fun times, Brian. Hope you guys had a good first weekend ... ours is in about two more weeks to start shooting.

Lol, love that last picture ... alcohol always has such a way of making folks look their absolute best! :grin:

codar22
04-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Though I may jump in here considering its 16 pages deep.
Looking at those few pictures makes my stomach hurt !
but I mean we all needed to unwind after that grueling 12 hour shoot.
Brian you really pushed us hard that day, but I guess thats what it takes
to be a part of this finely oil machine.
By the way that camera looks I don't think anyone leveled the tripod.
Oh well fix it in post right !?!

Can't Wait till Day 2 of shooting.

RebeccaD
04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Looks like a blast! You Canadians must really know how to party!

Ralph Oshiro
04-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Ahhhh.

Home at last. Day 1 of filming complete.
Yup. I know how good THAT feels, Dahopa! Congrats on your first complete day of shooting! It always kills me waiting and waiting and waiting, until I have that FIRST day's footage in the can. You feel like you have "nothing" until that first day. Great to see your BTS pics! Keep 'em coming!

Ralph Oshiro
04-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Wait. Are those actual "BTS" pics, or just you guys having fun after shooting?

Dahopafilms
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Looks like fun times, Brian. Hope you guys had a good first weekend ... ours is in about two more weeks to start shooting.

Lol, love that last picture ... alcohol always has such a way of making folks look their absolute best! :grin:
Hey Norm. Yeah, I have a funny feeling that pic will be coming down shortly. But I have no idea what you mean by the alcohol reference.

It was indeed a rough, long day (assisted by some of our more talented people making us have a little too much fun).

... Looking at those few pictures makes my stomach hurt !
but I mean we all needed to unwind after that grueling 12 hour shoot ...
By the way that camera looks I don't think anyone leveled the tripod.
Oh well fix it in post right !?!

Can't Wait till Day 2 of shooting.
Er ... maybe you don't recall, but we (well, you) were shooting hand held that day. All day. So balancing the tripod wasn't absolutely necessary ...

And yes, we'll fix it in post.

Looks like a blast! You Canadians must really know how to party!
Hey Rebecca! Actually, it was indeed a blast (or so I'm told) but the party thing is a lifetime learning curve for most Canadians. We can always do it better - and we try a little harder each time.

Wait. Are those actual "BTS" pics, or just you guys having fun after shooting?
Thanks Ralph. No, due to the nature of the shoot I will not be putting up any actual pics of any of our scenes until after release. There are a couple of surprises in this one (at least I'm surprised) and I just don't want to give anything away too early.

I'm also kinda studying your BTS shots and trying to copy your style as best I can.:thumbsup:

Dahopafilms
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I found just one more of our skeletal cast and crew that I can put up:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176221652.jpg

Charli
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Daph - I just like to shorten people's names. I uh, like that picture of Pitt and Joline. Good to see they were able to help you out there. I'm uh, still morning the loss of the rabbit, but I'll get over it.

Texture
04-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Whoa, wish I could have been on the set for this.

Gosh, all the glamorous peeps!!!

Brad and Angelina don't look too bad either! :)

RebeccaD
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Man, Brad Pitt? I am spit-fire jealous right now..... I'm talking to Norm about our male lead now. Right now.

Dahopafilms
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Location update.

Thanks to some behind-the-scenes manoeuvering, I have just confirmed several new locations for this production. We'll have to rewrite the story a little (OK, a lot) to fit the new locations, but apparently this approach works well for Charli ("Cha" to her friends) - so we're going to try it.

Here are a couple of photos of the new locations:

http://www.eefilm.com/berlin/locations/5.bmp

http://www.eefilm.com/berlin/locations/1.bmp

http://www.eefilm.com/berlin/locations/3.bmp

I'm also thinking of renaming the project using the name of a city in Western Europe (trying to think of an appropriate one now). Or maybe using Brandon's title ("Dead Drop"), just to confuse the audience.

In order to get the above locations, I had to have some of my larger Grips have a "conversation" with a certain older actor (he's now thankfully recovering in hospital) and corner the market on certain period costumes from another production, but all's fair in love and filmmaking, right?

Very happy with our progress.

Charli
04-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm know as Chuck to my friends, close Daph. Writing the script around secured locations for short films is a great way to go. It works well for me and the projects I want to attack. If you need feedback for the script, you know where to find me :happy:

RebeccaD
04-13-2007, 03:50 PM
ROFLMAO! Nice, Brian..... I may have a song to contribute too, depending on the tone you are going for. :beer:

Dahopafilms
04-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm know as Chuck to my friends, close Daph. Writing the script around secured locations for short films is a great way to go. It works well for me and the projects I want to attack. If you need feedback for the script, you know where to find me :happy:
Hey thanks Charli. I do need a new ending as of today so your offer is very tempting. Having said that, I view you as being part of the key target audience for this piece and so would probably prefer your surprise over collaberation.

But then again ...

Let me think on that.

ROFLMAO! Nice, Brian..... I may have a song to contribute too, depending on the tone you are going for.
I love your song. Perfect. First time I heard it I immediately wanted to sit down and have a few drinks. Take up smoking. Join the Army Air Corps. Become a Democrat. You get the idea.

And would that song fit really well into the new locations, or what?

As for the "tone" of my little projects (including this one), I usually go for "flat". Unfortunately (or perhaps not), nothing about your work suggests "flat".

But let me think on that too ...

Charli
04-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Daph - you could always just show the one scene you're having problems with, I can tell you then what isn't working, if you'd prefer not to show me the whole script. Either way, you have a place to go when you're in a bind.

RebeccaD
04-14-2007, 04:53 PM
As for the "tone" of my little projects (including this one), I usually go for "flat". Unfortunately (or perhaps not), nothing about your work suggests "flat".

But let me think on that too ...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Cute....

Texture
04-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Joking aside, I listened to that song on the Berlin thread.

I'm looking forward to hearing it in context someday... But alas, guess I'm gonna have to wait.

As for the music on this production. I'm proud to announce that a marimba carved from rare Sahara whale bone finally arrived this weekend. Can't wait to cut a few Spies Girls tracks with this sucker!

Dahopafilms
04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Just back on after a brief absence for shooting.

Daph - you could always just show the one scene you're having problems with, I can tell you then what isn't working, if you'd prefer not to show me the whole script. Either way, you have a place to go when you're in a bind.
What an awesome offer. That's the kind of stuff that one can find in this place. Thanks Charli. Much appreciated.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Cute....
Er ... Rebecca? You got that?

... As for the music on this production. I'm proud to announce that a marimba carved from rare Sahara whale bone finally arrived this weekend. Can't wait to cut a few Spies Girls tracks with this sucker!
Sahara whale bone? Rare? Holy smokes! I've got a closet full of it. Cool.

Now get back to work Erik.

Dahopafilms
04-17-2007, 11:56 PM
OK - time for a further update after two more days of shooting.

But rather than droning on about camera angles, lighting, apertures and the like, let me post just a few more pics:

We thought for a moment that we might change the title to "Footballer Forest Ranger Spies". We shot a few test scenes. We decided against it. So you'll never see this frame in the finished version:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176872984.jpg

We then played around with the idea of combining a Spies theme with a Romance theme. Unfortunately, the result was just far too close to Horrorfest and just no where near either the spy or romance genres. So we killed off that idea, too:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873067.jpg

What would one of our shoots be without the obligatory cat-fight between actresses? We broke this one up before a winner was declared, but my money was on the actress on top with the knife.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873039.jpg

Here's one of our fine actors getting a little wired. That, too, is a theme on our shoots. And, no - that's not a wireless lav. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what it is ...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873144.jpg

Here's our crack camera crew looking for the "automatic back focus adjustment button" on one of our B-Unit cameras. For some reason, they never found it. But I think they're still looking. Bwahahahahahaha.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873113.jpg

Nature walks in between takes are so important to promote harmony and camaraderie among cast and crew. Of course, there was a second cat-fight shortly after this photo was taken. Unfortunately, that lovely purple robe didn't fare too well ...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873198.jpg

And in keeping with the motto of all our shoots, "You're not truly drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on." (attr. Joe E. Lewis)

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873095.jpg

That's it for now, America. More updates when I get a chance ...

Charli
04-18-2007, 09:43 AM
OMG - those stills were hilarious. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Brandon Rice
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm also thinking of renaming the project using the name of a city in Western Europe (trying to think of an appropriate one now). Or maybe using Brandon's title ("Dead Drop"), just to confuse the audience.

Actually dude, feel free to use that title (Dead Drop) because my project has a new title now "SPY KID" so no worries.

codar22
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
And in keeping with the motto of all our shoots, "You're not truly drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on." (attr. Joe E. Lewis)

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1176873095.jpg

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
----Ernest Hemingway

RebeccaD
04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
WOW! Those are hilarious! Nice, guys....

Dahopafilms
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
----Ernest Hemingway

"Awwwwww. Daaaaaance with me, Mischa!"
-----Cody McDonald

Norm Sanders
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Finally catching up ...

Nice location photos, Brian! They look creepily familiar ... :grin:

Cody's picture of him on the floor makes me nearly want to fall out of my own chair, lol.

Texture
04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
There seems to be quite a bit of partying surrounding our production...

Lucky me, stranded 3000 miles away on the east coast while you "cats" are running around with lamp shades on your heads.

Aside from an occasional "slash" from the bottle of isopropal alchohol I use to clean the tape recorder heads, not much action goin' on over here... yawn...

Next fest youz guys gotta shoot in NYC and bring the party out here!!! :)

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Poor Cody ... laying on the floor like that, after a hard night of drinking where ever your 'production' (yeah, I put it in quotes, so what - I think this whole thing is just a cover for you to take girls out drinking, lol!) took you guys ... anyway, I'm quite certain his head would have FELT more like the picture below.

http://www.eefilm.com/dvxuser/corey-floor.jpg

And BTW, you have NO idea how much self constraint it's taking me not to alter some of the other pictures!

RebeccaD
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
They definitely look like they are having a good time, maybe too much of a good time....lol.

codar22
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Next fest youz guys gotta shoot in NYC and bring the party out here!!! :)

Yes......Brian Hear that, Next Short NYC!, I'm in!

Poor Corey ... laying on the floor like that, after a hard night of drinking where ever your 'production' (yeah, I put it in quotes, so what - I think this whole thing is just a cover for you to take girls out drinking, lol!) took you guys ... anyway, I'm quite certain his head would have FELT more like the picture below......

Cody...Not Corey.
All you have to do is paint my face green and put some pegs in the side of my neck and I could pull off a mean frankenstein.
I would have done it myself, but I got no where to host the picture.
Amazingly enough that morning was fine, I could have done it all over again, and oh did I ever want to. It was a great great night ! even picking up girls off the dance floor was fun lol

They definitely look like they are having a good time, maybe too much of a good time....lol.

Never....No such thing as too much of a good time.... well maybe for you americans, but up here in canadian that could never happen !lol

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Ack, fixed! Sorry Cody ... at least I was getting it right until that post! We'll have to have you guys down here sometime, and we'll show you what we Americans can handle. :beer: I'll introduce you all to my little friend I like to call C5H (Catagory 5 Hurricane).

Dahopafilms
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Poor Corey ... laying on the floor like that, after a hard night of drinking ...
Dear Norm.

This is my crew you're defaming. I think I only saw Codey have one drink on the evening in question. He had put in a very long day shooting and was just really, really tired by the time he returned to his hotel room. So not only did you incorrrectly suggest that Codey had been drinking heavily, but you also photoshopped his photo to further embarrass him. And you got his name wrong.

And if you ever happen to meet Codey, you'd soon realize that he is a sensitive, tender-hearted gentleman solely focused on his craft.

In fairness to our Codester, I attach a completely unretouched photo of him straight from the camera. Hopefully, this picture will soon displace in our minds the injustice you have done to him with your earlier-posted image.

Thank you.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1177045007.jpg

Norm Sanders
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
OMG! I can't stop laughing ... you're too much. The subtleness in that .... oh geez, I'm gasping for air right now. TOO funny.

Ahem ... back to all seriousness.

Dear Brian,

My apologies if I've offended anyone. I should delete that picture ... in fact, the entire post. But I won't. Instead, as I have time, I'll add the green color & bolts that Cody gave the great suggestion for. It'll be fun. In fact, in time, you may grow to find the humor in it.

Speaking of which, you really should open up your mind to humor ... there are too many serious people in this world already. Please, think about it.

Regards,
Norm

codar22
04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Wow. there goes getting any more work off dvxuser.

Dahopafilms
04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow. there goes getting any more work off dvxuser.
Yeah, well the result would be the same after they see my edited version of Spies Girls.

So ... you want to help out with the editing this time out? Of course, you'd have to edit in Vegas.

But I'd try and get the ingredients for the Hurricane drinky thingy that Norm mentioned and you could have an endless supply of those while editing ...

Think about it ...

codar22
04-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, well the result would be the same after they see my edited version of Spies Girls.

So ... you want to help out with the editing this time out? Of course, you'd have to edit in Vegas.

But I'd try and get the ingredients for the Hurricane drinky thingy that Norm mentioned and you could have an endless supply of those while editing ...

Think about it ...

Wow.
Endless supply of drink's eh?, that could be trouble....

I think it would be fun to come up and play with some editing....and editing ideas.
depending on the day of course.
Not this weekend cause it be my birthday.
:beer: :birthdays: :beer:

Texture
04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry to change the thread topic away from "lubricating aids" ...

But hey! Exciting new developments here at the Texture Sound and Music Labs..

The marimba parts are finally in place and now a new prototype instrument built by my keyboard guru Doctor Vinny Goombotz of Brooklyn has finally arrived...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/cat.gif

Stay tuned for some "Cat Scratch Fever!"

(special thanks to Salvador Dali)

Dahopafilms
04-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Sorry to change the thread topic away from "lubricating aids" ...

But hey! Exciting new developments here at the Texture Sound and Music Labs..

The marimba parts are finally in place and now a new prototype instrument built by my keyboard guru Doctor Vinny Goombotz of Brooklyn has finally arrived...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/cat.gif

Stay tuned for some "Cat Scratch Fever!"

(special thanks to Salvador Dali)

Might you now be carrying the tag line from the Spies Girls poster just a little too far ... ?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=881864&postcount=1

By the way, a very public "way to go" on the music cuts you've now finished. Amazing.

Texture
04-22-2007, 05:55 PM
LOL! :D

Thanks B and thanks for making it fun!!!

Dahopafilms
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Brief status update.

Final day of shooting is Monday, 30 April.

The new ending has now been written. It may work better than the original. Or not.

A few more explosions and the like in the new ending. If we can pull it off, it could look actually quite good. As long as no one gets hurt too badly.

Given the story and footage to date, we're also just way too long. So we've had to cut the bikinin scene. And the costuming was getting a little NC-17, so I guess we'll just have to keep that scene for the cast and crew reel. Mixed feelings about that.

And on a related topic, the girls are also getting very used to handling their weapons. Very fluid, in control, self-assured. It's amazing what a little coaching can do.

That's it for now.

Cheers, all.

RebeccaD
04-29-2007, 05:53 PM
No bikini scene now? Dang! Fine, this film is officially off my list of ones to watch. :crybaby:

Dahopafilms
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
No bikini scene now? Dang! Fine, this film is officially off my list of ones to watch. :crybaby:
LOL!

Ok Rebecca - here's all you have to do.

You come to Vancouver and I will film an additional scene with you in it. Alternatively you can just hold a light or a cable or something (can you make it up here today? Say, by 4:00 pm?). That would make you cast or crew. Then you'll get a copy of the cast and crew reel - and you'll get the bikini scene (extended version).

Or I could just put the bikini scene back in.

Hmmm.

Texture
04-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Brief status update.

And on a related topic, the girls are also getting very used to handling their weapons. Very fluid, in control, self-assured. It's amazing what a little coaching can do.

Cheers, all.

Nothing like...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/chickseo1.jpg

Dahopafilms
05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Nothing like...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/chickseo1.jpg
Excuse me Erik.

That post (OK - just the picture) is entirely exploitative.

And it's not politically correct.

Those chicks are naked, man!

I could report you to both PETA and the NRA. But because of the great work you have done on the music for this piece, I won't.

This time.

RebeccaD
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
LOL! OMG! Nice, guys! How did shooting go? Thanks for the advance notice for me to join, btw.... geez.

Dahopafilms
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
LOL! OMG! Nice, guys! How did shooting go? Thanks for the advance notice for me to join, btw.... geez.
Hey Rebecca. We waited a couple of hours for you but then pretty much concluded you'd be a no-show for the shoot. Sorry for the late notice.

Finished the shoot Monday (night).

A few BTS shots are attached below:

This is my buddy, Mickey, taken at the shoot on Monday. He's owned by my buddy, Robin. I include a picture of Mickey only because (a) he was actually at the shoot on Monday; and (b) although he does not appear in Spies Girls, he is cute and hopefully including his pic here will attract a little attention from the target audience (repeat with me now - "Awwww - he's so cute!"):

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178204738.jpg

This is one of our Spies Girls, Nicola. You may have seen photos of Nicola before in this thread. As you may guess from those previous photos, Nicola is very introverted, so to try and bring her out of her shell we decided to do away with double wide trailers for wardrobe changes and simply give her some green screen fabric to change behind. Note the clever use of backlighting. It worked. On every level. We love Nicola:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178205270.jpg

This is another one of our Spies Girls, Lauren. Stage actor. Always serious. Never slow with wardrobe changes. Always checks her e-mails (kidding - she doesn't really). And she has her next production currently advertised all over town on the side of transit buses (I can't even afford to get on a bus, let alone buy advertising on them). Seriously, she's way too talented for us - and we were lucky she came out to play. We love Lauren:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178205642.jpg

This is another one of our Spies Girls, Jodi. She's the one on the left (and if you need to be told that, either you need glasses or your name is "Norm"). In between takes, Jodi had been reading one of my other "real" scripts. This picture catches her as she's just finished reading the final page and, well, let's just say she enjoyed it. Jodi is hilarious and a very talented actor, too. She'll have her name on the sides of buses really soon. If she wants to. We love Jodi:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178206274.jpg

Memo to all aspiring producers and directors: Safety on set should be of paramount concern. It's all fun making movies until someone gets injured by a concealed weapon or dangerous metal object. So we have a policy on our shoots that the cast (and some crew members) must always be searched for sharp objects prior to a take. I can only advise that this policy works well and strongly recommend this procedure to other professional filmmakers to reduce on-set injuries:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178300683.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178206647.jpg

One final bit of advice. Never, ever, ever permit cast members to get their hands on SPFX equipment. Especially male dummies. 'nuf said:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178207054.jpg

Thanks to Mischa for all the BTS photos. And yes, I used significant restraint in selecting the photos for posting.

Hopefully the rest of this project will not be as exhausting as the filming of it.

Now on to editing ...

Texture
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey Brian,

Just a small request. If you have no need for that dummy after production, could you ship it out here so I can drive in the HOV lane during rush hour?

It would be a huge help! :)

Thanks.

Erik

PS, and hey, maybe include a few of those plants that seem to be growing in every freakin' shot. We've got alotta dirty air out here. A few extra trees and ferns might help clean things up a bit!

Charli
05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, daph, I can't tell whether to laugh or cry at the car photo, poor dummy, or is he smiling, can't tell... Looks like you guys are having fun.

Dahopafilms
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
... Just a small request. If you have no need for that dummy after production, could you ship it out here so I can drive in the HOV lane during rush hour?

It would be a huge help! :)

Thanks ...

Hey Erik. I'm not entirely sure that you would want the dummy after the girls got finished with it. Is it possible to sterilize cotton?

And by the way I did use the dummy in the HOV lane on the way to the shoot. I just put a hat on him and he looked more alive than most (actually pretty much all) members of my crew.

Wow, daph, I can't tell whether to laugh or cry at the car photo, poor dummy, or is he smiling, can't tell... Looks like you guys are having fun.
Hey Cha. I think the dummy's smiling. Not sure. I do know that he had a cigarette later, but we didn't get a shot of that.

And we didn't have any fun on this shoot. It was actually a very tough shoot. There was a significant lack of respect for the director. In fact, the cast and crew listened to the damn dummy more than they listened to me. Which I'm OK with. Because my revenge will be in the editing room.

And posting more inappropriate BTS pics.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178632975.jpg

Cheers.

Norm Sanders
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
LOL, the blonde with the dummy looks like quite the character. The other actress looks absolutely pooped out ... wow, you run a tough production!

Dahopafilms
05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
LOL, the blonde with the dummy looks like quite the character. The other actress looks absolutely pooped out ... wow, you run a tough production!
Actually, it wasn't that I ran a tough shoot, it was just that this was the (anticipated) result when spinster-librarians turn to acting.

During the day, these talented ladies are actually quite mild-mannered and lack the "attitude" issues often associated with other talented actors.

Really.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178724777.jpg

*Hats appear courtesy of HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Ted Arabian
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178300683.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1178206647.jpg

Awesome lighting! I love it. (I have a pair of those, too! Not the girls :( The lights!)

Looking forward to your film! Happy editing!!!

-Ted

Keystoned
05-10-2007, 01:03 AM
... I have a pair of those, too! Not the girls :( The lights! ...

The pair I thought you were reffering to were neither girls nor lights ... ahem.

I thought I was learning somthing very intersting about you Ted.

:cheesy: :beer:

Dahopafilms
05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Very brief update.

All principal filming was done a while back. I need a couple of quick insert shots still, but there's lots of time. Isn't there?

The good news is that the (very, very) rough edit cut is now done.

The bad news is that we're sitting at about 9 minutes. OK, a little more than 9 minutes. Without credits. Of course, when dealing with an 11 page script, 9 minutes is still pretty good. Isn't it?

So now I get to go back, listen to the actors' audio between takes and figure out which actors said negative things about (a) the director, (b) the script, and/or (c) craft services. I then cut out scenes (and roles) based on that.

Revenge is sweet. Even if it turns the on-screen story to pig slop, it's worth it.

Later ...

RebeccaD
05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I am sure you will make the appropriate decisions. Good luck!

Norm Sanders
05-14-2007, 01:36 PM
No he won't. He's going to botch it all up. :evil:

Kidding, Brian ... you rock! :beer:

Dahopafilms
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I am sure you will make the appropriate decisions. Good luck!
Thanks Rebecca. It would actually be a lot easier had Norm been in this one, because the editing choices would be much, much less difficult. :Drogar-Happy(DBG):

(awww Norm. Just kidding, my friend. One day we will work together - I hope - and I'll show you how to have an absolute blast while making really mediocre movies. Same goes for you Rebecca.)

Norm Sanders
05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, at least you're making SOMETHING. What have WE got to show? Next time ...

Dahopafilms
05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey, at least you're making SOMETHING. What have WE got to show? Next time ...
Well, from memory, I recall that you have an incredibly sculpted chest that you frequently show ...:Drogar-Love(DBG):

I can't speak for Rebecca ...

Norm Sanders
05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
LOL! I only frequently show it, if you're frequently playing that clip of our film ... er, I don't think I want to know if you're doing that or not. :undecided:

Ted Arabian
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
The pair I thought you were reffering to were neither girls nor lights ... ahem.

I thought I was learning somthing very intersting about you Ted.

:cheesy: :beer:
Oh.... gone are the days that I had my harem! (Arabian.... harem.. get it? nevermind!)

Dahopafilms
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
LOL! I only frequently show it, if you're frequently playing that clip of our film ... er, I don't think I want to know if you're doing that or not. :undecided:
Actually, Norm, to be entirely candid, that clip, when looped, loses its interest after 14 or 15 plays.

Sorry, man.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1179244940.jpg

Charli
05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Daph, Daph, Daph, Norm would NEVER wear white, you know that, he'd be all aqua blue body by Victoria Secrets *snap*

Dahopafilms
05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Daph, Daph, Daph, Norm would NEVER wear white, you know that, he'd be all aqua blue body by Victoria Secrets *snap*
Hey Cha.

You are correct, as always. Looking a little closer at the frame grab, I also think I see a little aqua blue in there. Maybe it's just my monitor, but I didn't notice that until I read your comment.

Cheers,

Daphne.

Norm Sanders
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
LOL, I'm dying laughing! You've done SUCH a great job compositing that, it worries me how long you spent ... in front of your monitor ... looking at me until you just had to cover the chest up so you could pull yourself away.

*Sighs* Alas, Brian, you need to get out more. :grin:

Seriously, though, impressive Photoshop work. Me with a bra, Cody wetting the floor in the hotel room, etc. I'll have to see if I ever have any revenge opportunities in my bag 'o tricks for you. :evil:

RebeccaD
05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
OMG! LOL! That is so awesome! Norm, I never knew you dressed in drag.....

Brian, bring it on! I'd love to work with you in Vancouver, B.C. or Vancouver, USA!

Norm Sanders
05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
OMG! LOL! That is so awesome! Norm, I never knew you dressed in drag.....

?? :huh: ?? YOU loaned it to me!! :)

RebeccaD
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Mine would never fit you, sweetie.....

Texture
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, not much goin' on here in New Jersey. Seems like all the fun these days is on the West Coast, but we do have.....

A Music Update!

As most of you know, most professional composers employ an arranger to assist in realizing their vision.

The arranger's skill lies in expanding the composer's tonal palette to create a richer more complex sound.

I'm pleased to welcome Docteur Roux Poirot on board who will assist me in figuring out what the heck I mean when I think: Da-na Da-na do-do-doo or Hmmmm la la la Hmmm tra la la and such.

Doctor Poirot is gifted with exceptional extended frequency range hearing. He can hear things that most folks would never notice.

An excellent collaborator and never one to make catty comments.

Please extend a laurel and hardy welcome to Doctor Poirot, our new the Spies Girls music production team member.
Welcome Docteur Poirot!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ventbleu/IMG_0288_3.jpg

Norm Sanders
05-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Too cute ... careful, or Brian may try and slap a bra on Doctor Poirot! :grin:

Texture
05-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Too cute ... careful, or Brian may try and slap a bra on Doctor Poirot! :grin:

Yea, I dunno what's up with that Brian... The good Doctor doesn't have quite the sense of humor you do Norm. I dunno if he could take a good natured joke like that. Still, Brian isn't a mail man, so I guess it would be OK.

Michael_Petro
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
This is one of the most entertaining threads i've read :) did'nt exactly know where to jump in or if I should :)

Dahopafilms
05-16-2007, 09:23 AM
... Brian, bring it on! I'd love to work with you in Vancouver, B.C. or Vancouver, USA!
Cool. Let's look into that after SpyFest. Something new and fresh for you perhaps ...

?? ?? YOU loaned it to me!!
Sorry, but regardless of anything, that's just plain ... creepy.

Too cute ... careful, or Brian may try and slap a bra on Doctor Poirot!
Norm! You're fixating, buddy. Snap out of it. Please! Before it's too late.

Dahopafilms
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
This is one of the most entertaining threads i've read :) did'nt exactly know where to jump in or if I should :)
Hey Michael. This thread is actually just a cunning plan to divert the attention of the competition away from their own projects.

It certainly worked in relation to those Berlin guys.:evil:

Dahopafilms
05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
A Music Update!

Please extend a laurel and hardy welcome to Doctor Poirot, our new the Spies Girls music production team member.

Is it true that the longer one collaberates with an arranger the more one starts to look like him?

Just wondering ...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6493/1179329228.jpg

Keystoned
05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Weird. Dr. Poirot (a friend from here in New Orleans - you can tell by the name: Dr. Roux Poirot) sent me a picture that is almost identical to that one ... only I think they are not working in in mine.

If your" pic" is work I guess this one is "play".

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24956/1179335901.jpg

Michael_Petro
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey Michael. This thread is actually just a cunning plan to divert the attention of the competition away from their own projects.

It certainly worked in relation to those Berlin guys.:evil:

I knew it! I had to restrain myself from expunging my HDD :beer:

Dahopafilms
05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Weird. Dr. Poirot ... sent me a picture that is almost identical to that one ... only I think they are not working in in mine.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/24956/1179335901.jpg
OK Key-man. That totally killed me. You're in. If you ever want to come and work with us you have a spot. Good skills, my friend.

One question though. Why did you photoshop out the naked pic of Norm which was on the old Mac display on the right? Was that just showing some restraint on your part? If so, I may need to rethink the offer referred to above ...

Ted Arabian
05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Whoa! You do a little music as well as filmmaking??? Nice set-up!

Texture
05-16-2007, 09:50 PM
HOLY S-H-I-T-T-E-R-K-A-T-T-E-R!

R-E-M-A-R-K-A-B-L-E!

Doctor Poirot wagged his tail when he saw this amazing photoshop magic. I admit, Roux does like to check watch that one scene in "Where Silence Falls" over and over. I guess they call it, "Puppy Love." :love4:

Hmmmm, maybe its time to get back to work, eh Roux? Hehehe. But maybe we'll watch it one more time... :D

Keystoned
05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
... Why did you photoshop out the naked pic of Norm which was on the old Mac display on the right? Was that just showing some restraint on your part? If so, I may need to rethink the offer referred to above ...
haha, yeah I didn't even see that screen till after I posted.

and then I said D'oh!

but even I am not that much of a procrastinator as to go back and put something in there.

I had passed my hooky quota at that point. :laugh:

Dahopafilms
05-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Whoa! You do a little music as well as filmmaking??? Nice set-up!
Hey Ted. That's Erik's (Texture's) set-up. As you may have judged from the pics, he's a little creepy (for example, I understand that he's writing a new edgy screenplay entitled "There's Something About Norm"), but very talented (musically).

It's great working with him and his music for Spies Girls kicks ass. I just prefer it when we're separated by a large continental mass.

Cheers.

Texture
05-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Have we fallen off page one? Yikes, something tells me Brian is busy editing like crazy this weekend. Or maybe making more ridiculous photoshop alterations of Norm and myself.

macgregor
05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I was thinking the other day while arranging the new version of 18 seconds about what a wonderfull spoof shortfilm Dahopa could do. In fact we started all to laught and making jokes about the actions and speechs that could be done. So funny... ;D

So this time you are into action. good good good.

Dahopafilms
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
... Yikes, something tells me Brian is busy editing like crazy this weekend ...
Smart-ass. I told you I was busy editing this weekend. Head down. Cathode ray tubes for eyeballs. And still looking to cut another two minutes. And that's just the footage before the titles.

Of course, if our freaking composer/musician (referred to in private as the "Score Master") had sent us some music that was a little less "good", I wouldn't have had as much of a problem cutting it down.

I was thinking the other day while arranging the new version of 18 seconds about what a wonderfull spoof shortfilm Dahopa could do. In fact we started all to laught and making jokes about the actions and speechs that could be done. So funny... ;D

So this time you are into action. good good good.
Hey Mr. Mac (says he, heart pounding in his ears). Nice to hear from you.

Actually, I'm out of the spoof/satire business entirely. No more humour crap for me. It's all serious drama from here on in.

And as you may know, I have stolen away Erik for a short time to work on the music for my dramatic entry for Spyfest. He's actually very talented although very annoying throughout the project when he keeps muttering phrases like:
"Macgregor wouldn't do it that way";
"If you need any tips on depth of field I can call my good friend Macgregor";
"Hey - my buddy Macgregor can do a better job than that - even using a Sony camera";
"Hey. I know people. Like Macgregor and Jack Daniel What's-His-Name";
and the frequently muttered:
"Macgregor's accent was way better than yours"

Anyway, thanks for dropping by.

And - oh yeah - Erik told me that there was a secret meaning behind the title of "18 Seconds". He mentioned it was quite rude. Any truth to that?

Cheers!

TimurCivan
05-22-2007, 02:41 AM
and the frequently muttered:

Cheers!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texture
05-22-2007, 05:23 AM
And as you may know, I have stolen away Erik for a short time to work on the music for my dramatic entry for Spyfest. He's actually very talented although very annoying throughout the project when he keeps muttering phrases like:

Hey Brian, hehe, you forgot I know Mark Harris, doesn't anybody care about Mark Harris? :)

Dahopafilms
05-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey Brian, hehe, you forgot I know Mark Harris, doesn't anybody care about Mark Harris? :)
You know him?

Really?

Oh my gawd! I so loved "McCarthur Park" (just what do those lyrics mean, anyway?). And he was so great in Gladiator and in the role of Dumbledore (not forgetting, of course, about his great portrayal of King Arthur).

But hasn't he been sick lately? Do you know where I could send him a card?

You're the best, Erik! You know everyone!

RebeccaD
05-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Brian, I am so sorry to hear that you are out of the spoof/satire business. Your film could have been really good....sigh....

Dahopafilms
05-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Brian, I am so sorry to hear that you are out of the spoof/satire business. Your film could have been really good....sigh....
Ouch, Rebecca!

But oh so true.

To get serious for just a moment, to pull off spoof/satire you need a combination of really good writing and really good actors who can do satire. I just wasn't convinced that I had the latter this time out - although I hasten to admit that the actors I got do drama really, really well (especially after a few drinks). So anyway, a few tweaks to the script and voila! It's a drama.

I'd actually like to do another parody at some point in the future. Not sure if you're interested, but if you are let me know (I really thought you were great in When Silence Falls, but obviously can't tell from that if you'd be interested in the more comedic/satirical roles that may or may not involve singing).

Yeah - so Spies Girls has (perhaps unfortunately) ended up being another purely dramatic foray similar to Contraband (if you remember that).

And I'm OK with that.

p.s. - How's Berlin coming along?

RebeccaD
05-23-2007, 12:34 AM
LMAO! Nice....yes, I would still love to work with you at some point, but probably only a drama, since that seems to be your passion these days. I don't know how I'd be in a comedy anyway....people are used to seeing me cry and run around screaming.

Thanks for the concern with Berlin. Um....no news there. Lol.

Kyle Stebbins
05-23-2007, 12:56 AM
you know, comedic actors and actresses are always the best dramatic actors and actresses. take dane cook for example ;)
-kyle

Dahopafilms
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
... people are used to seeing me cry and run around screaming ...
Funny.

I'm used to that reaction from the audience that watches my stuff.

you know, comedic actors and actresses are always the best dramatic actors and actresses. take dane cook for example ;)
-kyle
Very thought provoking post Kyle. Interesting.

I'm not sure I agree with you - but probably do.

I personally think that doing comedy well is very, very difficult - more so than drama. Comedic actors who have done drama can really knock it out of the park (Robin Wiliams and Jim Carey come to mind). I also think Rowan Atkinson is amazingly talented and could really kill a dramatic role (did you see him in Keeping Mum?). (I just checked IMDB and Atkinson is Oxford educated and holds a degree - in electrical engineering. Maybe we theorize that if you can do electrical engineering you can do comedy or drama!) Take a look as well at a guy like Hugh Laurie. One of the most talented, naturally funny actors around but absolutely kills his dramatic role in House MD (and to an extent his smaller role in Spooks/MI5).

On the other hand, as you point out classically-trained dramatic actors can clearly do comedy incredibly well. A recent thread here highlighted Patrick Stewart doing comedy on Extras (see: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=952764&postcount=2). I wonder who the "most talented" dramatic actor would be today? Anthony Hopkins? Judi Dench? I think they could truly pull off comedy (OK, maybe dry comedy) and it would be great if they would try that (maybe they have, but I can't recall any examples).

So back to your point - maybe talent is just talent - and if you can do the more difficult task well (comedy), then you can do drama. So I guess I'm agreeing with you. Really interesting thought Kyle.

Anyway, now I'm back to my own personal drama - the quest for the elusive six minutes. Cut cut cut.

RebeccaD
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I love the thought provoking discussions on this thread...very interesting.

GaryinCalifornia
05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
F I wonder who the "most talented" dramatic actor would be today? Anthony Hopkins? Judi Dench? I think they could truly pull off comedy (OK, maybe dry comedy) and it would be great if they would try that (maybe they have, but I can't recall any examples).

I don't know about Hopkins... but Judi Dench did a sitcom called AS TIME GOES BY... it plays on some PBS stations on Friday or Saturday night...

Texture
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't know about Hopkins... but Judi Dench did a sitcom called AS TIME GOES BY... it plays on some PBS stations on Friday or Saturday night...

Love that Sitcom...

Dahopafilms
05-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Update for 25 May.

Yeah. Editing. Kinda love it. But really (actually) hate it.

I have some huge time issues here (as you may have gathered from earlier posts). Cutting like crazy. I hate idiot writers that write 11 pages for a 5 or 6 minute short. And the damn thing is written so it interweaves and leaves little room for significant cuts without creating continuity ripples. I also hate directors who direct for the script and don't provide for coverage in the event about 1/2 of the script has to be cut. I should fire those jerks.

Yeah - blown away that for a guy that started early, the deadline for entry is this-coming Thursday. There must be a severe flaw in my workflow because I should have been able to finish this with two weeks to spare. Idiot editor. I think I'll fire him, too.

On a more positive note, I so love HD, however, because when rendering to DV (or lower) quality it enables me to jump in and re-frame without loss of quality (to crop and cut out props and other BG paraphenalia that would not otherwise match because of the cuts I'm making).

And the music's great. Thanks for that, Erik.

Anyway, that's it for now. No more posting until I cut another minute from the rough ...

Texture
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Just hope people like tubas...

Norm Sanders
05-26-2007, 12:05 PM
I do! I do!! It's the instrument I played most all the way through HS ... got pretty dang good at that thing, too. :thumbsup: Oh, and let me tell you, NOTHING short of drums drives women more crazy than a good tuba player, lol.

Dahopafilms
05-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I do! I do!! It's the instrument I played most all the way through HS ... got pretty dang good at that thing, too. :thumbsup: Oh, and let me tell you, NOTHING short of drums drives women more crazy than a good tuba player, lol.
Yes.

It's all becoming so much clearer now ...

Keystoned
05-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Dahopa. I discovered Texture trying to sneak in the theme song for Regis and Kelly backwards at a near subliminal level into the audio for S C H I T T E K A T T E R .

Watch out for that.

When I confronted him, he said something about regretting drinking the whole bottle of cough syrup or something.