PDA

View Full Version : Official Rules

Jarred Land
03-04-2007, 12:29 AM
DVXuser SPYFEST Short Film Festival

Rules
All films must be no longer than 6 minutes including credits.

The festival category is Spy - Think James Bond.

The central character of all films must be named Rob or Robin.

This is the first festival open to all cameras.

All films must be "R" rated or lower. Our "R" rating is pretty loose and itís a hard R.
ďIn the opinion of the Rating Board, this film definitely contains some adult material. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about this film before they allow their children to accompany them. An R-rated film may include strong language, violence, nudity, drug abuse, other elements, or a combination of the above, so parents are counseled in advance to take this advisory rating very seriously.Ē

All filmmakers agree to grant DVXuser.com and its agents non-exclusive rights for their films to appear on a potential Spy-Fest DVD or for DVXuser-sanctioned public screenings. Deliverables must be formatted as16:9 or 2:35 anamorphic in the requested file format.

Contest open to every country and films may be in any language. Non-English films must have English subtitles.

All films must be made between Feb 1, 2006 and MAY 30, 2007 and must not have been publicly screened prior to entry. The entry deadline is MAY 31, 2007 and no films or revisions to films will be accepted after this date. Entry instructions will be posted closer to the deadline.

Films may only be promoted on DVXuser.com before screening and no actual footage from films may be screened prior to the DVXuser screening. No promotion on external web sites is allowed until after the screening has been completed.
Films may be entered in other festivals as long as they arenít screened prior to May 31, 2007.

No entry fee, of course :)

Kholi
03-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Woohaaaaa. Let's see those threads!

Ty for another fest, Jared.

Dahopafilms
03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
WHAAAAT?

No banana requirement?

I've been Robbed!

Wild Imagination Films
03-04-2007, 12:39 AM
I was hoping for more "requirements" this time. But I'll bite...
Rob- Does Robert or Bob count?

Is the "strictness" of the spy idea going to make us watch 100s of Bond wannabe shorts or is the idea espionage and spying as was suggested earlier?

BTW-can anyone help me with muzzle flashes in post?

Zak Forsman
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
WHAAAAT?

No banana requirement?

I've been Robbed!
http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

Jarred Land
03-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I was hoping for more "requirements" this time. But I'll bite...
Rob- Does Robert or Bob count?

Is the "strictness" of the spy idea going to make us watch 100s of Bond wannabe shorts or is the idea espionage and spying as was suggested earlier?

dont worry BarryS will address the requirements.

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Rock'n! Funny, Robert (assuming we can have Robert instead of Rob, since it's just a fuller version of the name?), was going to be one of our character names anyway!

Derrick_SA
03-04-2007, 02:32 AM
aaah! I almost wet my pants when I saw the rules are out! Time to put a movie together and get a thread started!!

YIPEE!!!!

- Derrick

p.s. Robert sounds more to a spy to me than Rob.

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 02:34 AM
This is the first festival open to all cameras. Ohhh, ohhhh . . . Uhhh . . . . . . ::::THUMP:::: Quiififfffffssyyzzzyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-flllllrrbbb . . . mmfffjkkkerrrrbbob . . . mmummble . . . ::::BONK::::

Kholi
03-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Wtf is up with Rezfactor? Edit- Oh. Okay. He's happy because it's open to ALL cameras. Better wait for Barry_S' rules and regs, though.

Edgen
03-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Ohhh, ohhhh . . . Uhhh . . . . . . ::::THUMP:::: Quiififfffffssyyzzzyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-flllllrrbbb . . . mmfffjkkkerrrrbbob . . . mmummble . . . ::::BONK::::

Rez just fell down the stairs in a bliss of joy and excitment.

*watches multiple dvxer's fall* *boink*

By opening the platform to all cameras, You just opened a massive can of worms and I says "bring it!" Hopefully you guys can market this fest to many places throughout the web to maximize its reach. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Home video cameras... here they come! Regardless.

Good luck everyone and as usual.. if you need a composer, I've got TONs of talented musicians I could point you to. For the love of all.. don't use that canned stuff. :badputer:

/j

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 08:12 AM
*boink*

Am I the only one that watches 'Pinky & The Brain'? *narf!*

Ki-Ki
03-04-2007, 08:16 AM

I think i probably could,

Thanks for the Spy-fest ^_^

Brandon Rice
03-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Looks good Jarred! Can't wait to see some films!

Zack Birlew
03-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Think I might enter this time...... maybe........ might............who knows?

Charli
03-04-2007, 08:30 AM
My computer back years ago had a wave file: We will rule the world - from Pinky & the Brain. What a riot.

Rob or Robin, hmmm.

stinkpot
03-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Is there still a "minimum post" requirement? If so, what is the number so I can get to work???

Ben Sliker
03-04-2007, 08:56 AM

lol. James Bond hasn't done any real spywork since Connery ... it's just hand to hand combat, car chases and large explosions.

Charli
03-04-2007, 09:10 AM
but we like hand-to-hand combat, car chases and explosions...

tmnt
03-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't think their could be a minimum post requirement as the comps' open to all camera this time. Though I have been wrong before...

cinealma
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Rules

...This is the first festival open to all cameras.

Alrigh, then. I'm dusting off the old IMAX camera, baby! :2vrolijk_08:

John G.

Barry_Green
03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Is there still a "minimum post" requirement? If so, what is the number so I can get to work???
There is no minimum post number to enter. There is a minimum in order to be eligible to vote, but not for just entering.

Cryogenic Filmworks
03-04-2007, 10:33 AM

I believe to make one does not matter. To Vote however, is 100. You need 29 more posts to vote at this point.

(oops, Barry beat me to it)

ade4all
03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
so i only need another 22 posts (whoops, 21) before i can vote this time around, looking forward to it

mobiledeli
03-04-2007, 10:51 AM
this is DVXUSER.com not ANYCAMERA.com! this is so freaking stupid... and yes im enteing... i dont know why seeing as no one will watch it/comment on it/like it

Rick Rock
03-04-2007, 10:57 AM
"Home video cameras... here they come! Regardless."

Don't forget that this includes those of us using 24P cameras of a different brand. To me, this is a great idea and finally stops excluding those who come here who don't happen to own a DVX or an HVX.

"this is DVXUSER.com not ANYCAMERA.com! this is so freaking stupid"

Maybe so, but something tells me Jarred, Barry, and the gang are trying to move beyond their own limitations. There are many people who post here who don't own a DVX/HVX (yours truly included) and I'm sure they're not going to be told to leave any time soon.

Michael_Petro
03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe so, but something tells me Jarred, Barry, and the gang are trying to move beyond their own limitations. There are many people who post here who don't own a DVX/HVX (yours truly included) and I'm sure they're not going to be told to leave any time soon.

I am sorry you own an inferior camera :)

Just messing with ya..

I know a few people here in jacksonville and asheville NC that follow this site. They do not own DVX/HVX/RED. I believe this site is pretty popular... I learned about it on dvinfo when I decided on the dvx people there pointed me here... thats pretty cool...So hey bring on the the other cameras It will only make this site better IMHO..

nimbleal
03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm really glad its open to other cameras. I've wanted to enter in the past but as I can't really afford a hvx/dvx I couldn't. I can understand not wanting 35mm entries to go up against dvx footage - though most voters (you'd hope) would be able to see past the improved aesthetic to the actual content. I'm in!

Elton
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
[I]Don't forget that this includes those of us using 24P cameras of a different brand. To me, this is a great idea and finally stops excluding those who come here who don't happen to own a DVX or an HVX.

Agreed. Lots of people who don't own a Panasonic cam come here for the community and the emphasis on filmmaking. What started out with all the momentum and critcial mass focused on the dvx (I am a former owner of and loved) has now evolved into an interesting ecosystem of very capable 24p cams for SD and HD.

I'm sure the majority of works will still be from the Panny faithful, :engel017:but it'll be really cool to see fresh faces and different stuff from lots of heretics and pagans. :evil: :laugh:

I love the inclusiveness. It's a great move. :thumbsup:

dangal
03-04-2007, 11:55 AM
sorry to be such a newbie but can someone please answer a few questions for me?

1. how to I register for the contest
2. where do I put the movie once it is finished (online? or what?)
3. any other knowlege that you can supply a newbie of this site who has never been in a contest here before?

thanks

Ki-Ki
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
sorry to be such a newbie but can someone please answer a few questions for me?

1. how to I register for the contest
2. where do I put the movie once it is finished (online? or what?)
3. any other knowlege that you can supply a newbie of this site who has never been in a contest here before?

Answer
1. well no need to register, just write, shoot and edit. work on it. Normally people create a thread in the forum about there production. I guess the only way you enter is when you submit your video --
2. Details about entering your video about 1 week from the deadline. There flexible sometimes though ;)
3. Id suggest making a thread about your film, get a poster and steadily release publicity. Dont do it all at once and then be left with nothing because people will just get bored and the thread will die to the bottom of the fourum.

-zach-
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow...

I just have to say that these guys at DVXuser who are making these contests happen... for them to allow anybody with a camera to enter in the contest... that's alot of work to put in. They'll be giving bandwidth - yes - but even more valuable - time. So a big thank you to Jarred and all the rest who are coordinating the SpyFest.

My projection for how many films will enter: 91
Projection for how many will actually reach submission: 83

I might be in on this one. Just might.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Hmmm... I hope I get my new camera soon. I may take a stab at this one.

Just finishing up something else at the moment.

Sounds very interesting. Great theme!

mikkowilson
03-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Saweeeeet! (What Rezfactor said) ... I am 100% in on this one!

- Mikko

JOE BLO
03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm going to try to pull it together for Spyfest. I'll know in the next few days.

mobiledeli
03-04-2007, 01:34 PM
okay i said this because the people here are only looking at the visual aspect, theres more emphasis on vfx and cinematography than there is on anything else. whats the point of having themed festivals, why not make it just who can make the prettiest shot?

-zach-
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
okay i said this because the people here are only looking at the visual aspect

"said" what?

Kholi
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
okay i said this because the people here are only looking at the visual aspect, theres more emphasis on vfx and cinematography than there is on anything else. whats the point of having themed festivals, why not make it just who can make the prettiest shot?

Boy are you one wet rag. It's okay to voice your opinion, in some regards I agree that sometimes the image gets judged instead of the content. Let's not go too far with that, though-- [most] of our members are about great shorts, not just stellar images.

The last three winners of the fest deserved it, as they were the most provoking entries and so happened to look really great as well.

Please, let's not soil a good thing. This is exactly why they had to think it over heavily. If you're intimidated by other cameras entering, you shouldn't enter as we'll all just hear you complaining until this is over.

Besides, I think they're limiting the entries to 1/3" CCD 24p cams anyway. Wait for Barry_S' rules.

-zach-
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
24p cams

GAHHH!

deedive
03-04-2007, 02:54 PM

i am also concerned about the strictness of the james bond thing?:(
this is scaring me...

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Don't forget that this includes those of us using 24P cameras of a different brand.Yes, although I first came to this site because I had just purchased a DVX100, I've now come to think of this site as more the, "24p budget filmmakers'" site. Although the site has generally been DVX/HVX-centric, Jarred and Barry have always been welcoming of users of all cameras.

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 03:17 PM
If this is open to all cameras, I don't see why they would limit it to 1/3 chip cameras. I think it's great that it's open to, and encourages, all cameras. Finally that high schooler who may have an INCREDIBLE story idea & edgy editing, may be encouraged to enter (hopefully the do age appropriate casting!). And the bar may be blown out of the water by some guy who's got access to a Cine alta camera, etc.

Bottom line, however, if the images are mind blowingly gorgeous, but the story doesn't make sense, or the performances can't hold up, etc. ... it won't matter. At the end of the day, the peers seem to put the most judgement where it's best suited; on what makes a film a great film, which usually boils down to story as the primary, and then everything else from there follows & has impact (how it's written, the direction, the talent, the editing, the camera, the lighting, etc.).

It's also a smart move on their part to open this up to all cameras, as it'll help to expand the entries from what would otherwise be 'possibly' the smallest fest yet, as I think the 'spy' genre, as most folks see it, would have the least attraction to the main DVX/HVX crowd. This will help to even out the numbers, or lift the numbers to higher than what they may have been.

I'm also excited to see some new blood in the fest! :thumbsup:

Lastly, since there will now be a screening process, of sorts, I wonder if this fest would meet what IMDB is looking for with regards to getting something on their board?

Brandon Rice
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I was also wondering about the screening process. since this is open to all cameras, will "joke" entries not be shown, because who knows who will find out about the competition and people might want to goof off. hehe.

-zach-
03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
If this is open to all cameras, I don't see why they would limit it to 1/3 chip cameras. I think it's great that it's open to, and encourages, all cameras. Finally that high schooler who may have an INCREDIBLE story idea & edgy editing, may be encouraged to enter (hopefully the do age appropriate casting!).

Thank you.

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 03:29 PM
If this is open to all cameras, I don't see why they would limit it to 1/3 chip cameras. I think it's great that it's open to, and encourages, all cameras.Obviously, I couldn't agree more! More to the point, it really shouldn't matter what you shoot with, since by the time we see the compressed file, you can't really tell a whole lot about the camera's quality anyway!

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Agreed. Lots of people who don't own a Panasonic cam come here for the community and the emphasis on filmmaking . . . I love the inclusiveness. It's a great move.I agree. This is still my favorite "filmmaking" site because of the high traffic, frequent posting activity, and great sense of community. Sure, it's officially DVX/HVX-centric, but as many of you already know, DVXUSER is much, much more than that. It's just a great place to hang out and talk about filmmaking!

mikkowilson
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
For those who like to question everything, and generally cause confusion, we do our best to make the contest rules as clear as possible.

So, as said in the official post: SpyFest is open to ALL cameras. Period. No '1/3" only' requirement, no '3ccd only', no '24p only', no ifs ands or buts.

We really can't say it any clearer: You can shoot SpyFest with any camera.

Our contests purposly have very few, very clear, rules. We state them simply at face value and we mean it. Any camera means any camera. No Copyright infringrment is preaty clear. As is the name requirement. Don't think you can substitue a banana for Rob. It's prety clear.

More details, including a brand new site for running the fest, will be annouced as we progress.

If anyone has any questions that have not been covered, please ASK us and we'll answer best we can.

- Mikko

Geoff_R
03-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Wow, first chance I've had time this weekend to check the site and immediately I see the Spyfest launch. Awesome!

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Wow, first chance I've had time this weekend to check the site and immediately I see the Spyfest launch. Awesome!Are you in Geoff? I'm really looking forward to your entry if you are!

Geoff_R
03-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Are you in Geoff? I'm really looking forward to your entry if you are!
I really want to...but I have to finish shooting another film first, it's not a spy film, more of a dark, violent crime story, about 10-15 mins. If I can wrap production on that film by the end of March, I'll try and get a story together for Spyfest.

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Nah, don't stress yourself, Geoff, you should just sit this one out & be a spectator. :evil: Really, you've already proven yourself & deserve the break! :grin:

Actually, if you DO enter, yours would be one of the first, if not THE first, that I'd want to watch. And, if you could kill two birds with one stone, maybe there's a story within a story of that larger project, and you could shoot an alternate scene to suddenly make it a spyfilm worthy of a six minute or less cut?

jlabonney
03-04-2007, 04:08 PM
From Cafe ala DVX:
Barry_S and Jarred are the ones who ultimately set the rules as to what qualifies. It is my understanding currently that as long as the film somehow involves some covert information gathering, you're good. It could be a dead-serious documentary on phone wiretapping. It could be a slapstick comedy. It could be a teenage see-if-she-likes-me-could-you-ask-her-no-you-ask-her type of cutesy romance thing. It could be an extramarital affair drama. It could be a corporate training film on the proper use of "secret shopper" techniques.

It does *not* have to involve governments or politics. Or guns. Or anyone saying "shaken, not stirred."

Just make sure that someone is gathering information on someone else without that someone else knowing it.

assasin could be considered spy if stalking and surveilance is involved

It must be Spy-ish.

It need not be someone infiltrating an enemy organization under false pretenses and gaining their confidence - being a spy.

It muts have spy-ing.

Seems like almost any espionage would qualify.

As always they are not looking for some slavish adherence to a genre.

Merely a unifying theme and label to put on the Fest and DVD which would in someway describe the showcased films.
From this thread:

this is scaring me...

So is spy theme is expandable beyond a James Bond-type style? I agree that it would get pretty repetitive otherwise.

But if films like documentaries, comedies, etc. are allowed, even if they have a "spy" or covert information gathering theme to it, they're still not "spy genre" films, they're docs and comedies, right?

Hopefully we can get some clarification here...it would really be helpful.

Kholi
03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
dont worry BarryS will address the requirements.

I'd just wait for Barry_S to come 'round to address the details on cameras, qualifications, etc.

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Spy is simply a sub-genre, like love story, construction workers, etc. Meaning, the block genres are things like Comedy, Drama, Action, Suspense/Thriller, Horror, Romance, etc. .... then the film would be further defined by the sub-genre, in this case Spy.

At least that's how I see it.

And since Jarred is looking to sell these DVD's (ideally), I'm not sure how viable a DVD would be with nothing but Bond styled shorts .... but a WIDE variety of shorts, all under the same theme, may have more appeal, IMO. So I think he was just trying to give an idea/interpretation vs. a hard direction of 'Bond'.

Geoff_R
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Actually, if you DO enter, yours would be one of the first, if not THE first, that I'd want to watch. And, if you could kill two birds with one stone, maybe there's a story within a story of that larger project, and you could shoot an alternate scene to suddenly make it a spyfilm worthy of a six minute or less cut?
Thanks Norm! I actually came up with a story last week that I'd want to do for spyfest. I haven't written anything yet, it's just a yellow post-it with a few lines but I really like the idea. Even if I can't make the spyfest deadline, I'll still end up making this film someday.

Ki-Ki
03-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Message deleted by moderator for being himself.

O-O';
Thank youz

jlabonney
03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
.... but a WIDE variety of shorts, all under the same theme, may have more appeal, IMO.
Agreed.

Drew Ott
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Would a theme of stalking/"peeping" be considered spying? The story that I'm working out in my head is less of a covert type spying, and more of a stalker theme.

Would that be eligible?

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Stalking not so much, but 'peeping' probably would. I guess it depends on how they're stalking the subject, really. I tend to think of the definition of spying as watching something without others knowing about it.

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
"PeepFest" Rated NC-17.

Geoff_R
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
My movie is called, 'The Peeping of Emily Rose'

-zach-
03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
The Science of Peep

or

Peeping Beauty

or

Peep of Faith

I'll stop because I don't want to kill anyone due to lame jokeitis.

Drew Ott
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
"PeepFest" Rated NC-17.
:laugh:

My idea is a lot more based on peeping, but with my age/experience I don't know if I could find actors willing to be a part of my idea.

edit: is anybody having issues with the quote tags? I'm having to type out quote when I want to quote, instead of clicking the icon.

Mattykins
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Haha! Yes!

I am so glad this is open to all cameras. I started coming here because it was a wonderful webforum for film making in general. And I can finally toss my films into competition. Thanks guys!

-Matty

(I will be entering this one, I was only stopped by the camera in the prior two competitions)

Charli
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I have questions about rules:

1. On the name Rob/Robin - what if the person has taken on a new name, but people make reference to Rob/Robin, but the hero insists on being called a new name. Is that within the rules? To have references of Rob/Robin but treat it like a name of the past.

2. Copyright - I'm thinking of using a clothing line's logo, if I got written permission to use this logo, is that within the rules?

3. Define Spy - from what I got in dictionary it is: the practice of obtaining information without the permission of the holder. If we stay true to that definition, then you can't simply have someone stalk another. Is this fair to say?

That does it for now.

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm obviously not a Mod, but these would be my best guesses:
1) Sounds fine. The spirit of the rule is to ensure the film was made for THIS fest. If the main character is still referred to with that name, in the way you're describing, it fits the bill & into your story.

2) You're not infringing, if you have written permission.

3) Stalking/peeping would still be getting information on that person, without their permission (i.e. watching them through their blinds, following from a distance in a car to see where they're going, who they talk too, etc.).

JoshuaNitschke
03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Man, I'd love to do this, but I'm taking so many classes this semester and working. I doubt I'll have time.

Sigh.

Zak Forsman
03-04-2007, 07:40 PM
3) Stalking/peeping would still be getting information on that person, without their permission (i.e. watching them through their blinds, following from a distance in a car to see where they're going, who they talk too, etc.). I think it would be worthwhile to have a clarification on whether this is also SpyFest in the observational or voyeuristic sense, in addition to the more obvious espionage plots that Jarred's "Think James Bond" instruction would indicate.

Jason Ramsey
03-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Don't overthink the rules, folks. It's like it has been said already.

The point is for you to go out and be creative. It's like this: Ok, here's excercise... Make a movie... The genre is spy... Make a central character be named Rob or Robin. Don't break any copyright laws. And.... go.

Just be creative. The point isn't to limit your creativity. Neil had a name tag that met the name requirements for Drama Fest. It's obvious why that was there. And, when you see it, you're like "Oh, that was a cool way to do it".

Charli, I think your definition of spy pretty much covers it. Change the word permission to the word knowledge, and that would be how I see it. You can make a "James Bond" movie, or something less traditional.

Here is a word . Here is a name for your character(s). You have 6 minutes. "Action"

-zach-
03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a kind of ridiculous question -

Can we enter more than one?

Jason Ramsey
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
sure. Or, you can work on more than one. But, I think you would do best to just concentrate on making one film the best you can :beer:.
Jason

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know if I could find actors willing to be a part of my idea.Yup! I always have the SAME problem. They're always like, "You want me to do WHAT?!?!?!?"

dangal
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
so can I post footage of my movie while it's being made\edited?
or do I have to post it only when it's completely finished?

Jason Ramsey
03-04-2007, 09:26 PM
No. You cannot.

On this site:
You can promote
You can post stills .
You can NOT show any footage from your film until the films go live.

Anywhere else:
You cannot promote.
You cannot show stills.
You cannot show footage.
You pretty much can't do anything outside of this site (concerning your film), until the films go live here. After that you are free to promote, and show, and enter in film festivals, and have screenings, etc.
Later,
Jason

-zach-
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
You cannot show any footage from your film

I know no footage from the actual film, I remember a (DramaFest) discussion about behind-the-scenes footage as a hype tool. Is that not allowed?

Jason Ramsey
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
BTS stuff. Behind the scenes footage, is fine. I did an "interview with the director and actor", for example, for my drama fest entry (which I did not complete:( )

Jason

Norm Sanders
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Jason, any difinitive if we can use 'Robert' instead of just 'Rob'?

stinkpot
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I believe to make one does not matter. To Vote however, is 100. You need 29 more posts to vote at this point.

(oops, Barry beat me to it)

Thanks... and thanks Barry. Make that 28.

dangal
03-04-2007, 10:41 PM
When do the films go live?

Larry Rutledge
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I've only skimmed through this thread so far, but I would encourage everyone to take the rules at face value. Everyone has an idea what "spy" is, go with that. We don't get overly technical, as long as a strong case can be made for your "idea" it will be accepted.

Regarding the name, yes it is intended as a simple means to ensure you don't dredge up a film you shot/edited 2 years ago that just happens to be a spy film and then pass it off as if you did it for this festival. We want to give everyone a fair chance, and part of that includes ensuring that you all have the same amount of time to dream up and create your film.

Barry_S is drafting the full set of rules and an FAQ to help address many of the questions that have been asked, and that will be asked. It should be posted this week sometime. In the meantime, dream away and start building your entry.

There should be no problem using Rob, Robby, Robbie, Robert, or any other such derivative that still has "Rob" in it. Again, for the woman, things like Robin, Roberta, Robbie, etc should be fine as well.

Remember, the goal of these fests is simply to give filmmakers a "kick in the pants" and get them out there making films. We aren't trying to bog you down in a myriad of rules and restrictions, but at the same time we want to be fair to everyone.

Be creative, find unique and interesting ways to implement the rules, but don't ignore or violate the rules. If you don't adhere to the rules, your film will be eliminated.

If you aren't sure about something and it won't "give away your film's secret", then by all means ask here. If you aren't sure about somethind, but don't feel comfortable asking here as it may "give something away", then feel free to PM Barry_S and/or myself and we'll get it cleared up as quick as possible.

Now get out there and start making movies!

Quiet on the set....and...ac-shun! :thumbsup:

Peace,
Larry

Barry_Green
03-05-2007, 03:05 AM
1. On the name Rob/Robin - what if the person has taken on a new name, but people make reference to Rob/Robin, but the hero insists on being called a new name. Is that within the rules? To have references of Rob/Robin but treat it like a name of the past.
"Katrina" did that, with Jack/Eric. I think that's fine, as long as it's referenced and obviously a part of the film (not some bogus tacked-on thing) and that it shows that you're attempting to comply with the DVXUser SpyFest rules and the spirit of the rules.

2. Copyright - I'm thinking of using a clothing line's logo, if I got written permission to use this logo, is that within the rules?

As Norm said -- if you have proper written permission, it's not infringement. If there is any copyright infringement, that'll be an automatic DQ.

3. Define Spy - from what I got in dictionary it is: the practice of obtaining information without the permission of the holder. If we stay true to that definition, then you can't simply have someone stalk another. Is this fair to say?
Barry_S will be the deciding factor on that, but I take it that as long as there's some manner of covert information gathering going on, you're good.

Barry_Green
03-05-2007, 03:06 AM
this is scaring me...
Please, for the love of all that's holy, let's have some films that are about something OTHER THAN James Bond! :thumbsup: Stretch your creativity here, folks. Nobody wants to see a lame pale imitation of something else; we keep the rules specific and few so that you can comply (to the specificity) but be wildly creative (because of how few rules there are).

dangal
03-05-2007, 05:29 AM
1. sorry to be repetetive but what does it mean that the films go live?
2. when and how does it happen?

P.S. If there is somewhere where you explain the general rules of attending a festival on DVXuser then please refer me

-zach-
03-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Wait....

So, liek, if i end up joyning the spyfest, likle, can i use "Bobbi" as a wmoan's naem?

Larry Rutledge
03-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Wait....

So, liek, if i end up joyning the spyfest, likle, can i use "Bobbi" as a wmoan's naem?

No. Come on, don't make this so hard. At the end of the day, to be a part of what we're doing, would it be so hard to be locked into one name?

I tried to show a little wiggle room in my explanation of the name's, but the line has to be drawn sonewhere. The name has to begin with "Rob" (e.g. Rob, Robert, Robby, Robin, Roberta, etc).

There are so few rules, is it really THAT important to bend even them?

-- Larry

macgregor
03-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Can we shoot film?

-zach-
03-05-2007, 05:59 AM
No. Come on, don't make this so hard. At the end of the day, to be a part of what we're doing, would it be so hard to be locked into one name?

Larry, I feel bad now.

I was making a joke about how many people are hung up over the name, I tried to emphasize that with the spelling.

I forgot the [sarcasm] tags.

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Larry, I feel bad now.

I was making a joke about how many people are hung up over the name, I tried to emphasize that with the spelling.

xD just kidding, i see the deliberate spellings errors...

OmaR
03-05-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm going to shoot a sort of "gangster" short... to be clear: something like The Goodfellas, The Departed, but also Collateral. There are chasings, gunfights etc. I don't know if it could be called "spy genre"...
Do you think I could partecipate?

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 07:52 AM
You could do it as Screening only, as in. Not participating in the competition itself for coming 1st 2nd or 3rd. But show your film...that make any sense?

Norm Sanders
03-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Can we shoot film?

Any camera. Bring on the Panavision/Arriflex 35's!

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Then in that case, thank god they invented the webcam.

OmaR
03-05-2007, 08:08 AM
You could do it as Screening only, as in. Not participating in the competition itself for coming 1st 2nd or 3rd. But show your film...that make any sense?
I'll make the short anyway, so for me it's ok. Even if, I admit, partecipate is more interesting! just let me know.

Larry Rutledge
03-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Sorry I missed the "sarcasm"...I guess I was a little oversensitive in how I felt some people try so hard to find a way around even the few rules we have in place.

So, I apologize zach, for misunderstanding your post. However, I do not apologize for what I said, since I'm sure someone will come along and seriously ask these same rule bending question several more times before this is over :)

Larry, I feel bad now.

Jason Ramsey
03-05-2007, 08:18 AM
1. sorry to be repetetive but what does it mean that the films go live?
2. when and how does it happen?

P.S. If there is somewhere where you explain the general rules of attending a festival on DVXuser then please refer me

1. when I say "films go live" I just mean when the viewing period starts. There is a deadline people will have to upload their films. Then, they will go "live" meaning people will start watching and voting, etc.

2. These details will be coming soon, and in detail. It's not anything you need to worry about right now.

You will everything laid out in detail soon. And it will be easily accessible information. Don't fret.

About the being a "non-compete" or for exhibition only type stuff, that I am hearing mentioned already.... Don't expect that this time around. If you are in the festival, you are "competing", and you are expected to abide by all 4 and a half of the fules.

There won't be non-competes and such this time. It's already open to more cameras, so we don't need to do that anymore. It's a clear cut, you're in or you're out scenario this time around.

Jason

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Didnt realise being a 'Mod' could be so stressfull. Oh well.

- Points and laugh -

o_o';

Bayne
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Let me know if you need help.

Luzer
03-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Can we shoot film?

Haha, I knew someone is gonna say that! It would be cool if you're gonna do that mac! So will it be super16?

Ki-Ki
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Can we shoot film?

- Reloads Desert Eagle -

Norm Sanders
03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
My only concern for this festival will be that the upload process can start at least a week in advance, otherwise we'll be in a pickle. I'll be the one editing this one, and will be out of the country nearly a week before the deadline, not to return until the beginning of June. :shocked:

Larry Rutledge
03-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Norm -- I'm sure we can make arrangements to ensure we get your film. Worst case, you can push it to me and I'll submit it when we open the doors.

Either way, we'll get your entry submitted :thumbsup:

So, where "out of the country" are you going? Is this business or pleasure? Need anyone to "carry your luggage" :grin:

Peace,
Larry

Norm Sanders
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
LOL, little of both. It's my wife's business incentive trip she earns every year, this year being in Cabo San Lucas. In fact, Jay (coffee) will be on the same trip! :thumbsup:

Barry_Green
03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
If you want to shoot on different cameras, I hope we see a little film and even something like Patryk Rebisz' still-camera film. Webcams and Nokia N93's would be cool too, depending on the needs of the story.

dougspice
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I can actually imagine a very interesting film being shot mostly, if not completely, from the perspective of a remote/pinhole camera.

Ralph Oshiro
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
If you want to shoot on different cameras, I hope we see a little film and even something like Patryk Rebisz' still-camera film. Webcams and Nokia N93's would be cool too, depending on the needs of the story.The kitchen sink, YES!!! Still-camera "films" are cool!

Ralph Oshiro
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I can actually imagine a very interesting film being shot mostly, if not completely, from the perspective of a remote/pinhole camera.Ooooooohhhh, I like THAT idea!!! Camera Obscura-Fest!

Jason Ramsey
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
My (wife's) new Archos has a little helmet cam you can get that is like 130, or something. I thought about getting it, and using some footage from it, and using it in the actual film as well, as a prop.... if I decide to do something :)

Jason

-zach-
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I can actually imagine a very interesting film being shot mostly, if not completely, from the perspective of a remote/pinhole camera.

I thought this would be too hard to pull off. Anyone, feel free to do this, because it's a cool idea:

The Bullet's Eye View
seen through the barrell of a gun during a spy/espionage actiony thing

Elton
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
My (wife's) new Archos has a little helmet cam you can get that is like 130, or something. I thought about getting it, and using some footage from it, and using it in the actual film as well, as a prop.... if I decide to do something :)

Jason

Interesting, I have an Archos too and I've been wanting to get that thing.

Love my Archos!

Kholi
03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
And don't forget you can shoot mixed cameras as well. Intercut some Super16 with HVX or A1.

or A1 and HVX. Mmmmyum

jeremytuttle
03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
if I decide to do something :)

Jason

Are you trying to hint at something here.:laugh:

Jason Ramsey
03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
haha. Nooo. I'm just not about to start a thread this time around unless I know I am going to do something and FINISH it this time :)

Bayne
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Jason

Check out the Samsung Sports cam. I have one of those. shoots 720x480 30p with the remote cam. 1 hr of footage on a 2gb SDcard....

I have one and have used it alot.....picture looks great.

rjk2000
03-06-2007, 08:46 AM
This is the first festival open to all cameras. Excellent news! All I've got is an FX1 and GS400 -- and I've been itching to enter one of these.

Gord.T
03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I was also wondering about the screening process. since this is open to all cameras, will "joke" entries not be shown, because who knows who will find out about the competition and people might want to goof off. hehe.

Hopefully it wont be a youtube type of thing. I agree there. At least digital and in the spirit of DVXUSER.
But I think there is a place for humour in everything, period. Especially as a tension breaking point in dramas.

I think parodies are cool and looking forward to Spideys if he puts one in. The famous one in horror fest that begins with F was, well, discussed in length. :)

re: type of cam:

Obviously, I couldn't agree more! More to the point, it really shouldn't matter what you shoot with, since by the time we see the compressed file, you can't really tell a whole lot about the camera's quality anyway!

I agree. But the noise and grain still shows up anyways so the initial quality of the filming still comes through.As well as everything else.
It's like listening to music through various quality speakers. The quality of the music/recording itself is still there. Even when played through a two inch radio speaker.
In the end, may the best (wo)man win.

...There won't be non-competes and such this time. It's already open to more cameras, so we don't need to do that anymore. It's a clear cut, you're in or you're out scenario this time around....

Ahhhh shooot. I liked the non-compete ones but I guess it's fair that they can post in the 'Filmmaking->User Films' area.So that's cool.

...Spy is simply a sub-genre, like love story, construction workers, etc. Meaning, the block genres are things like Comedy, Drama, Action, Suspense/Thriller, Horror, Romance, etc. .... then the film would be further defined by the sub-genre, in this case Spy....

sub-genre? I hope so. We are working on one and sub-genre suits us. Bit of a love story, spy and something else all tied in. Story is 75% hashed out. Some SFX/timeline to discuss, 25% of which will fall by the waste side.

We're both trying alot of new things again this time. No comedies this time though.

Although...wait...maybe if I ...lol.

Billy Pilgrim
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
It's funny because I missed the chance to enter in Horror Fest, Zombie Fest, Sci-Fi Fest, and Hero fest because I didn't own a DVX at the times those contests were around. Then I got a DVX< and the first time they open a contest to all cameras, it's with a subject/theme I have no interest in. But I might make one anyway, I had a strange idea, though I don't know if it would technically count.

Jason Ramsey
03-06-2007, 09:22 PM
My name is Jason, not John, Raptor. You miss typed my name, in the quote above. I've got my eye on you, buddy. :)

But, you got it Raptor. There is the User Films section. And since every camera is allowed now, there isn't much of a need for a non-compete category. That was the main motivation in having it before, anyways. Any camera was welcome to participate, but only x cameras could win prizes. Now any camera is welcome to participate, and is eligible for prizes. Just follow the simple rules, and your in.

Along those lines... (I'm not the rules guy, so don't take this as authority)... Hopefuly with some of the new changes in the system for this fest, that were *tested* with drama-fest, the deal with having x number of people having problems uploading, uploading late, re-uploading, etc. will go away.

It is my understanding that there will be some good info. regarding the whole process up and in a central location that is easily accessible.

The point being, the system will hopefuly run much more smoothly, and folks won't be *too* confused about the upload process, etc. Meaning, instead of having a 3 or 4 day period between the original deadline, and the films going live while we wait for stragglers, and folks having technical problems, etc, before Larry, or whoever can push the films across the mirrors, test, and open the gates for viewing.... The deadline will be the deadline. Then a day can be spent testing and viewing before the films go live. It might even be that folks can upload when they finish their flicks. I don't know.

This is basically a really long way of saying, I wouldn't expect films that don't abide by the rules to make it to viewing.

All films that fall into this category: Shot with any camera, that are 6 minutes, or less. That can be reasonably considered to fall into the "spy" genre (either traditionally, or non-traditionally), and incorporate the name Rob/Robin (hopefuly in a creative way) will get viewed. Oh yeah. And, of course, don't break any copyright laws.

If you make a 10 minute flick, or you neglect to mention the name Rob/Robin. Or, you make a romantic comedy that can't be in any way considered a "spy" type flick. Or, you break copyright rules, you might not get viewed by the public. And, that is the goal right?

It's not being a nazi. There are like 4 basic guidelines to roll with. And they are flexible in the sense that we want you to incorporate them creatively.

There isn't much of a need anymore for non-compete entries. If you don't abide by the simple guidelines, then your film would be considered a non-compete, and thus not likely to make it to viewing.

If your film is a complete piece of garbage, but you made a spy-fest flick, and you followed the "rules", then you WILL get viewed. The fest is open to all (more so now than ever before). So, in that regard there is no screening process. Never has been, never will be. It is possible though, that films will be pre-viewed for compliance/adherence to the guidelines.

If it's the best thing out there, but you didn't adhere, you likely won't get viewed.

Again, don't take this as authority. Just my ideas. Not really based on any insider knowledge, or anything. But, you can see kinda where things are headed.

I probably could have said all of this in like 7 lines, but... well, that's me :beer:

Oh, and before anyone says "I was thinking of a romantic-comedy style spy flick. Does that mean I can't do that?"

Of course it doesn't. Actually, as I typed that, I thought of a nice little drama fest flick. "The Artist". That, to me would be a non-traditional (but legal, in my view) spy flick. It had nothing to do with double agent stuff, but it was a "spy-flick" so to speak. It also wasn't overtly "boo-hooey" as a Drama-fest entry, but it did fall into the drama category, in a less traditional way.

Ok. Done :)

Jason Ramsey
03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Billy.
A good thing to do would be to pm your "strange idea" that you're not sure would count to Barry_S, and see what he says :)

arielman
03-06-2007, 09:28 PM
We're both trying alot of new things again this time. No comedies this time though.

Although...wait...maybe if I ...lol.

Hey Bro

keep em guessing Gord.lol
Ian

JOE BLO
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I really want to enter the fest, I have the script almost finished, but I haven't purchased my camera yet. I don't think I'm going to be able to get it in time for the fest. So, I'll just throw it out there and see if there is anyone in the Los Angeles area that has owns an HVX and is just itching to shoot something. I know it's a long shot, but instead of just bagging on the fest, I thought I'd give a shout out and see.

Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Gord.T
03-07-2007, 01:06 AM
My name is Jason, not John, Raptor. You miss typed my name, in the quote above. I've got my eye on you, buddy.

Doh...never happen again. Nothing like a good slap in the face.
Jason - a big crazy guy I worked with - Jason - the guy with the mask - Jason - DVXUSER.
I got it burned in my mind. :)

Hey Bro.

Back atch ya. They'll never guess the 'something'. And no it aint no beaver.
we're serious this time. :)

Weston
03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Can i shoot in 4:3?

I know its says in 16:9 or 2:35:1 but ive seen that some of the films submitted in the past in in a 4:3 box with black bars on the top and bottom.

Can I just use the whole frame....shooting and submitting in 4:3?

Norm Sanders
03-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Not supposed to submit it in 4:3. A few times a film has sneaked through in 4:3 format with the blackbars for a 16:9 viewable aspect ratio, this shouldn't be the case, IMO.

I DO shoot 4:3 (i.e. with a non 16:9 native camera), as it gives me more freedom for framing in post, if I want to adjust the eye line, etc. But in post, you need to import your footage into a 16:9 project & work on it from there. That way, when you render, you can effectively render it to a 16:9 file, with or without the additional bars for 2:35.1 ratio, if you wanted that wider look.

Zak Forsman
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Can i shoot in 4:3?

I know its says in 16:9 or 2:35:1 but ive seen that some of the films submitted in the past in in a 4:3 box with black bars on the top and bottom.

Can I just use the whole frame....shooting and submitting in 4:3?

if a 4x3 frame is the aspect ratio you prefer to shoot in, you could master out in 16x9 but pillarboxed to preserve the integrity of your intended compositions.... like so...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3035301149695269/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/303530/303530_2.jpg

Billy Pilgrim
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Billy.
A good thing to do would be to pm your "strange idea" that you're not sure would count to Barry_S, and see what he says :)

Did it last night. No response yet. Thanks for the tip.

Billy Pilgrim
03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Nevermind. I got the green light.

Weston
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Zak Forsman]if a 4x3 frame is the aspect ratio you prefer to shoot in, you could master out in 16x9 but pillarboxed to preserve the integrity of your intended compositions.... like so...

Yeah I would want to have it viewed in 4:3 as well. I wouldnt really want it pillarboxed, but it would alright.

Cory Braun
03-10-2007, 06:07 PM
if a 4x3 frame is the aspect ratio you prefer to shoot in, you could master out in 16x9 but pillarboxed to preserve the integrity of your intended compositions.... like so...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3035301149695269/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/303530/303530_2.jpg

how do you add the pillarbox? Whenever I import something into a 16x9 project that i shot in 4x3 with or with out letterbox it is stretched. I have only done this in Premiere but if you could tell me how to do this in Final Cut and/or Premiere I would appreciate it.

Zak Forsman
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
how do you add the pillarbox? Whenever I import something into a 16x9 project that i shot in 4x3 with or with out letterbox it is stretched. I have only done this in Premiere but if you could tell me how to do this in Final Cut and/or Premiere I would appreciate it.if you have a kona card, it will do it on the fly. if not, in final cut, make sure you're dropping it into an anamorphic sequence. if it doesn't look right, go to the motion tab on the clip, and set distort to either 0, 33.33, or -33.33. i forget which one is right but one will work.

TheSaint
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I think I may enter a film.

I just have a few questions:
1) Does it have to be like James Bond?
2) What cameras are allowed?
3) Will it count if I have a character named Rob, but his name is only said in Pig Latin?

Ok. I'm kidding about all of the above. But I think I will enter and I'm definitly looking forward to seeing all the films :thumbsup:

Ki-Ki
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I actually started to answer those...i should really read the post completly before i start replying.

abalex
03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Prizes?........hello?

Jason Ramsey
03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Prizes weren't announced early in the last fest, and I don't anticipate that being any different this fest. They will be announced later.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah.
It's a paradox you must embrace.
Do it for the love of doing it, which means you don't care when or if prizes are announced (theoritically).
But let your jaw hit the floor when the prizes are announced, and cheer, and get excited and even further motivated by them.

One of the good things about doing it this way is it does tend to winnow down the field to those more dedicated to just making films, and then the prizes are a reward for that. If you super publicized the super prizes you might get a bunch of guns for hire that have never contributed to the forum and are just in it for the gear.

abalex
03-11-2007, 10:37 PM
true.

Barry_Green
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Keep in mind about the prizes -- this isn't a "contest"; prizes (if any) are a bonus. We've had prizes ranging from a new HVX200, on down to a box of tapes. It all depends on what the sponsors come through with, or don't come through with. So don't do it for prizes, because there's a chance that there may not even be any. Or there might. Any potential prizes will be announced towards the end of the fest.

Jarred Land
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
amen to that.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I know it's not about the prizes, but I did hear a rumor that 1st prize this time was a date with Barry Green at White Castle.

Tom Marshall
03-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I know it's not about the prizes, but I did hear a rumor that 1st prize this time was a date with Barry Green at White Castle.

Count me in if Harold and Kumar will be there too... :beer:

cinealma
03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
... and don't forget to bring a coked-up Neil Patrick Harris!

Larry Rutledge
03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Who's going to provide the old lady in the wheelchair? :evil:

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
They are still talking to Pete at Abel Cine, but he's trying to get us one at cost.

Tom Marshall
03-12-2007, 01:07 PM
They are still talking to Pete at Abel Cine, but he's trying to get us one at cost.

A wheelchair?

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
No an old lady in a wheel chair. Jarred and Barry will still have to chip in and buy it, but Pete is getting them a deal at cost.

The wheel chair is not much good without the old lady because the wheel chair by it self appears upside down in the HVX. You need an old lady and (Barry Green in a car) to flip it.

With the DVX you can use the wheel chair by itself and just flip it with a magnet.

But with teh HVX you need an old lady in the wheel chair and a Barry Green driving in a city where there is no right on red.

Tom Marshall
03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Would this old lady in a wheelchair do the trick?

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2005/08/sa_samaritan.html

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes. Great find there. There are a lot of DIY solutions out there to the Old Lady in a Wheel Chair problem with the HVX.

Please forgive me for an "on topic check" at this juncture however :)

Since it's not about the prizes, and this thread is about the rules, lets keep the emphasis on useful info if we can. :beer:

(I know, I know ... I started it :cheesy:)

If there are further questions about the rumored 1st prize of an outing to white castle with Barry Green complete with old lady in wheel chair, please PM me :thumbsup:

MojoTrancer
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM
If you want to shoot on different cameras, I hope we see a little film and even something like Patryk Rebisz' still-camera film. Webcams and Nokia N93's would be cool too, depending on the needs of the story.

Sweet! I'm tempted to go Super8. Just because i can. i'd better get to ordering some film.

cinealma
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok. Not to have delusions of grandeur or anything, but how many films can one enter into the fest? For some strange but wonderful reason this genre, especially with the "any camera" ability, I've story/projet ideas coming out the wazoo. Not like I'm going to make a dozen films or anything, but just wondering how I can screen more than one film in the fest if that's what happens?

Tom Marshall
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Sweet! I'm tempted to go Super8. Just because i can. i'd better get to ordering some film.

Now that would be cool. :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Ok. Not to have delusions of grandeur or anything, but how many films can one enter into the fest? For some strange but wonderful reason this genre, especially with the "any camera" ability, I've story/projet ideas coming out the wazoo. Not like I'm going to make a dozen films or anything, but just wondering how I can screen more than one film in the fest if that's what happens?

In the past they have set the limit at 2.

Ki-Ki
03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Well Im hoping to enter 2, just create a seperate account and enter...then vote for your other films.

>_>

<_<

Tom Marshall
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Well Im hoping to enter 2, just create a seperate account and enter...then vote for your other films.

>_>

<_<

I'm ashamed to call you my friend... :tongue:

Jason Ramsey
03-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Ki-Ki. We do watch for that sort of thing. Tsk-Tsk.

Jack. Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, on first prize. You should be ashamed. But, that is actually second prize. Jack is just being modest. The winner of the fest gets to give Jack a full body waxing. :)

And, on a more serious note:

If anyone has any questions about rules, or the fest in general... Barry_S and Larry_R are the final word on these things. If you have a question that is time sensitive, and you prefer not to post in the public forum, one of these two guys can give you the definitive answer.

Otherwise, if you can wait, Larry_R is hard at work on a sister site, that will house all the info you need to know about this and future fests. And some other goodies too. The main 'fest' site will be a while still, but expect a page with full details and rules, etc. sometime soon

Thanks,
Jason

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Ki-Ki. We do watch for that sort of thing. Tsk-Tsk.

Jack. Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, on first prize. You should be ashamed. But, that is actually second prize. Jack is just being modest. The winner of the fest gets to give Jack a full body waxing. :)

ROFL :grin:

I mean ... uhm ... and that would be a prize for anyone involved how exactly?

Brandon Rice
03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Otherwise, if you can wait, Larry_R is hard at work on a sister site, that will house all the info you need to know about this and future fests. And some other goodies too. The main 'fest' site will be a while still, but expect a page with full details and rules

Yeah, Larry, thanks for your hard work. :thumbsup:

Ki-Ki
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't worry, I wouldnt do something like that. Thats just plain pathetic and spoils the whole point of the festival. Anyway you'd have to be depressed enough to post on the forum over 100 posts to qualify your vote.

Bye peeps,

Ill Eagle
03-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I'ma actually take a shot at this. I haven't entered any of the previous contests but I think I'll give this one a go! :)

prisma
03-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Rules
All films must be no longer than 6 minutes including credits.

The central character of all films must be named Rob or Robin.

This is the first festival open to all cameras.

All films must be "R" rated or lower. Our "R" rating is pretty loose and itís a hard R.
ďIn the opinion of the Rating Board, this film definitely contains some adult material. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about this film before they allow their children to accompany them. An R-rated film may include strong language, violence, nudity, drug abuse, other elements, or a combination of the above, so parents are counseled in advance to take this advisory rating very seriously.Ē

All filmmakers agree to grant DVXuser.com and its agents non-exclusive rights for their films to appear on a potential Spy-Fest DVD or for DVXuser-sanctioned public screenings. Deliverables must be formatted as16:9 or 2:35 anamorphic in the requested file format.

Contest open to every country and films may be in any language. Non-English films must have English subtitles.

All films must be made between Feb 1, 2006 and MAY 30, 2007 and must not have been publicly screened prior to entry. The entry deadline is MAY 31, 2007 and no films or revisions to films will be accepted after this date. Entry instructions will be posted closer to the deadline.

Films may only be promoted on DVXuser.com before screening and no actual footage from films may be screened prior to the DVXuser screening. No promotion on external web sites is allowed until after the screening has been completed.
Films may be entered in other festivals as long as they arenít screened prior to May 31, 2007.

No entry fee, of course :)

I dont understand this. You said that one of the prerquisites for enter the dvx user spy fest is that movies must be made between Feb 1 2006 and May 30 2007. But you just posted this on march 3 2007. So that means that people only have about few weeks to do this? or people knew about this festival before? sorry i joined this forum recently.

mikkowilson
03-18-2007, 01:16 PM
There was some discussion of the forum topic before the official rules where posted. Some members started pre-production in February.

From March 3 to May 30, is 3 monthes, about 12 weeks, which is fair time to produce a 6 minute peice.

- Mikko ... has an idea, but has yet to begin writing.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Prisma,

Also members know that a fest is coming every 4 months.

But, beyond that I think that 2006 may be a typo, because
1) usually it must be made between the last fest and the deadline for the new fest, which would be 2/1/2007 to May 31t, not 2/1/2006, before Spyfest had ever been thought of.
2) They are going to some trouble to make sure the films were made for these fests and not for something else and just entered hear with the main character name rule.

futureman
03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Am i missing something... what is the prize for this contest?

Barry_Green
03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
No prizes have been announced. It's not a contest. It's a festival.

There may or may not be prizes for the top vote-getter, that is as yet undecided.

Norm Sanders
03-20-2007, 10:07 AM
So Jack lied? He had said something about a date with you, Barry, and then I believe the runner up was going to get a waxing session with Jack.

What is all this?! Quit jerking our chains by changing the winnings on us!! You guys give me such beautiful, blissful motivation, then WHAMO ... yank it all back away.

Sigh ....

:cheesy:

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-20-2007, 11:53 AM
No those are still the prizes. Barry just said that to out you as being in it only for the prizes. And you fell for it hook, line, and sinker :laugh:

Norm Sanders
03-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Who wouldn't be in it for just the prizes?! Those are gold, baby, pure gold!

cinealma
03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
There may or may not be prizes for the top vote-getter, that is as yet undecided.

Barry only addresses the issue of prizes for the "top vote-getter".

This means that if you are NOT the top vote-getter, you get to partake in the wonderfully obscene "gang-wax" job on JDS! And this is where Barry takes all the non-winners to for their date. :shocked:

Norm Sanders
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Question, do we know if the voting system will be the same as last time (one vote per person for their favorite film)? If so, would there be a way to at least display which films got how many votes all the way down to the bottom?

Only curious as I've talked to a few who are questioning entering, simply because they found so much value in the other festivals on how they placed, even if they were at the bottom of the list vs. the last one where only the top three were announced and the rest were kind of in the dark.

Matt Sconce
03-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Question, do we know if the voting system will be the same as last time (one vote per person for their favorite film)? If so, would there be a way to at least display which films got how many votes all the way down to the bottom?

Only curious as I've talked to a few who are questioning entering, simply because they found so much value in the other festivals on how they placed, even if they were at the bottom of the list vs. the last one where only the top three were announced and the rest were kind of in the dark.

I agree, this would be very helpful. It was eye opening to see how people viewed your film. Yes there were those who freaked out when they saw the numbers, but for the majority of us, it was invaluable.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM
I agree with you guys. The detailed stats were the best.
But unfortunately, I think the members screwed up that privilege past the point of having it anymore. :crybaby:

Norm Sanders
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not saying that we have to have the same spread sheet that showed votes in each category, average weighted rating, etc. Just thinking even a simple one-sheet that lists all the films, and how many votes each film got. If they do the one-vote-takes all approach again, there's guaranteed to be a LOT of films that have no votes, but at least there will be a good 25% or more of the films that will have shown at least one or more, letting the filmmaker know that their film resonated with at least ONE person out there, which could be a confidence builder in its own right.

It'll also show how CLOSE the votes were between the top films, etc. Just a thought.

Larry Rutledge
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't have an answer as to how voting will be handled this time around, but Barry is working on the "voting details" for future fests and it will be automated via the online fest system I am currently building. Unfortunately, I won't have time to get to the coding piece in time for SpyFest, so it will continue to be a manual process this go around.

I'll make sure Barry sees these posts so the information can be considered.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Tell him he's my hero, as well then.
*cue Bette Midler singing "Wind Beneath My Wings"*
Your close to having a song as well Larry :thumbsup:

Larry Rutledge
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
WooHoo! It better be a good song, though :huh:

Norm Sanders
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
*cue Bette Midler singing "Wind Beneath My Wings"*
Your close to having a song as well Larry :thumbsup:

WooHoo! It better be a good song, though

Get a room you two! :evil:

Keystoned
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Read thread, all questions answered, but just posting to subscribe for updates and to say thanks for hosting this! :beer:

jamesh
03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
forgive me if it's already been mentioned but what are the rules concerning copyright for this festival?

I have a film which i've just completed by myself, which i've had to score using music tracks from various film & television soundtracks, as i dont have access to any library score music or composers.

Would it be alright for me to submit my entry with these tracks or are you guys strictly against that?

I'd really like to enter this festival just for the experience, as it would be my first, i'm not looking to win anything.

Also, i'm still a bit hazy on the whole 'spy' element here. I made the film with spyfest in mind, but also as a project for a friend's film course. It's kinda more hitman/secret agent/government organisation style(i.e 24,jack bauer), with elements of spying. So would this be elidgeable?

cheers.

Norm Sanders
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like what you've made (genre) is acceptable, but the copyrighted music you're using is not. I'd suggest taking your film (without the temp music tracks you have now), and sending it out to one of the talented composers that have made themselves available on here for the fest. They're eager to score good work, and so no reason for you to be using someone else's music like that without permission. Even if the composers on here are too busy, they may already have music that they'll let you use tracks of, and can still fit your piece.

Check out the following that come off the top of my head:
Edgen
Herman Witkam
Manuu
Sid Barhoon
Chris Hurn
More that are just escaping me at the moment ...

BTW, to make sure you're elligible for prizes (if there are any), you'll want to make sure one of your characters has the name Rob or Robin.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Norm is 100% right. Though I would ad Noct (Aaron Marshall) to that list and Leo Giardini (sp?)
Use these guys if you can. It's crazy that they make themselves available to us, but they do. We are lucky.

IF, however, for some reason these guys are unavailable, you still haves some other avenues.

FREE SOUND FX
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php

FREE MUSIC
http://www.ccmixter.org/

PAY PER USE MUSIC
http://www.royalty-free.tv/

http://flyinghands.com/

Also if the Composers listed above can't write something for you, they also sometimes let people use existing tracks that you can hear on their websites.

Goodluck

jamesh
03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
O.k thanks for clearing that up for me guys. The main character's christian name is Robin, i made sure of that, but he goes by an alias mainly.

I'm a bit worried about sending someone my un-scored film. I kind of based the editing tempo around the music i found, i'm not sure if it would work with other music, but maybe these talented composers can re-create the magic, i've never used one, it's exciting.

So, any composers out there fancy taking a stab at my film. It's a seriously dark comedy. Am i allowed to post stills to drum up interest? or send the .mov file that i've just finnished?

Norm Sanders
03-29-2007, 10:10 PM
You can post stills (if you've not created a thread for your film yet, you'll want to do so) in your thread, you can't post actual footage. You CAN, however (and want to) send your .mov file to the composer who you end up working with (make sure you have a timecode on it, makes it easier for them to reference, etc.). Also send them the music on a separate track, so they can see what you were inspired by, and they might be able to match it.

That said, you'd be surprised what some of these folks can do (Thanks, Jack, I forgot Noct on that list!) ... they may turn out something you never even thought of & liked better! The score will be custom fit to your film like a glove, most likely hitting the right beats, adding emotion to spots you didn't even know existed, etc.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm a bit worried about sending someone my un-scored film. I kind of based the editing tempo around the music i found, i'm not sure if it would work with other music, but maybe these talented composers can re-create the magic, i've never used one, it's exciting.

So, any composers out there fancy taking a stab at my film. It's a seriously dark comedy. Am i allowed to post stills to drum up interest? or send the .mov file that i've just finnished?
It's common for you to send it to them with your scoring and with it unscored. The score you send them is known as a temp track. Lucas edited a lot of Star Wars to Wagner for example and then John Williams did some Wagneresque things.

Some composers will like to give it a try without listening to the temp track so that they have a completely original response to the film. Then work with the director to see what works better about the composers response or in the temp track and collaborate until they are both happy.

That is the way I have worked successfully with Herman Witkam on two occasions (see Bonehand and Rekindled on my website, linked below). But that is just one process and one way to work, but it works for us.

EDIT: Also these guys are too popular for you to get much of a response just throwing it out there in this thread. Check the spy fest subforum, there is at least one composer who has started a thread looking to get picked up. Beyond that look at composer threads from past fests and hit up the guys Norm and I listed individually in the member's list

Edgen
03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
I've currently got my plate pretty full at the moment to score your film, but I can help you find a good composer if you are looking for one. Send me a PM or email and I'll see what I can do.

but, alas, if you wanted to use a few of my 'existing tracks' @ www.edgen.com/reel , feel free to use those as long as you do not use the DNU (do not use)

good luck!

/j

Jason Ramsey
03-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Leandro Gardini is who you were talking about with the (sp?), I think, Jack. He was going to score my Drama-Fest entry, but sadly, I wussed out and didn't finish the film.

I believe he said he was available for this fest very early after the announcement. I don't know if he is still available.

His website is www.pacificocean.com.br (http://www.pacificocean.com.br) You can check out some of his work there. Here is his member profile (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=11614)

Yeah... don't violate copyright. Besides, like the guys said, it's pretty awesome to have some great composers on the site, who offer up their talents. (on a side note: which is also a great representation of the spirit that the festival attempts to promote.) Take advantage of it.

Norm Sanders
03-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Geez, I forgot Leo too?! Sorry Leo & Aaron (Noct)! You guys are equally the bomb! :)

jamesh
03-30-2007, 12:09 AM
geez, thanks guys, i'll have to hit up some of these guys later today. I'm in the UK and it's 7:08am here and i havent been to sleep, been putting the finnishing touches to the film for my friend's hand-in deadline.

i'm pretty zombified!

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-30-2007, 12:27 AM
...i'm pretty zombified! wrong fest.:zombie_smiley:

Herman Witkam
03-30-2007, 02:49 AM
James,

I'll have a look, if you like.

Check out my music @ http://www.herman-witkam.com

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-30-2007, 09:35 AM
----------HERMAN! !!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_4.gif----------:beer:

jamesh
03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
yay! i'll make a nice little .mov and whiz it over to you later so you can see if you want to have a go.

thanks Herman

Herman Witkam
03-31-2007, 05:11 PM
ok - sounds good. :thumbup:

aravance
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Question: I would like to shoot with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 instead of 16x9 or 2.35:1....will this be allowed if I send in a 16x9 file that just has black bars to give it a 1.85:1 ratio?

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes you can do exactly that. Specifics for deliverables differ slightly from fest to fest but that option has been a constant.

You MAY even have the option of cropping your black bars off for the web version to save bandwidth, or you may not depending on whether they do your web encoding for you from a DVD quality file OR whether you do your own web encoding. Both methods have been used in the past.

FutureDVXUser
04-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I gotta question... I'm probably not gonna enter anything, but just for reference...

Can it be a spy-mystery type thing... Like... the spy work is done... You see pictures bein taken etc. Now it comes down to 2 of 6 or 7 characters as to whose behind the investigation and why he/she is doing it.

Can it be something like that?

Please let me know...

Thanks

Larry Rutledge
04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Yea, that would be fine ... now go make that film!! :thumbsup:

FutureDVXUser
04-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Haha, cool...

Thanks for letting me know...

tmnt
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
So when do we find out what max files sizes are and all that stuff? I would like some time to test for best output/compression.

Beat Takeshi
05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Its usually around 40 megs and a certain frame size, you can find it in the older fest threads.

Michael_Petro
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
There are a few good creative commons music sites out there.. I believe I am under the Non-Commercial Lic.. since I would not ever charge for these films.. any reason why i would not be? I have permission from one band.. the other does not exist anymore, but I think its all good , just seeing what you guys think.

Norm Sanders
05-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Hmm, my thoughts are just because the band itself is not in existence, doesn't mean you still don't need express permission from the individuals who created it. Besides, the band name is just a label ... the copyright of the actual song/performance still typically belongs to the individuals and/or record label if they ever got signed.

Michael_Petro
05-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Hmm, my thoughts are just because the band itself is not in existence, doesn't mean you still don't need express permission from the individuals who created it. Besides, the band name is just a label ... the copyright of the actual song/performance still typically belongs to the individuals and/or record label if they ever got signed.

well the band set it up to lic for pay or for not commercial non-pay.. technically if you meet the CC lic for non commercial no contact is necessary just as they say give us credit. I do it as a courtesy. I was just making sure this is considered non-commercial.. which i believe it is..

tmnt
05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
You'll also perhaps want them to sign music release forms - even if you're good friends with the band.

tmnt
05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Isn't non commercial something that won't be viewed publicly and/or sold for profit?

Michael_Petro
05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Isn't non commercial something that won't be viewed publicly and/or sold for profit?

according to the lic.

films that are being shown in places where no admission fee is charged.

Michael_Petro
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
also its only like 20 bucks to lic it for commercial use... soo no big deal either way.. i was just thinking i was non-commercial

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Believe it or not the Horror Fest DVD will be complete this month.
(We actually didn't have all the media until 2 weeks ago, we might still be missing one or two outside of the top 10)
But believe it - there will be a DVD which will be sold for money to recoup contest / prize costs.

Hero Fest DVD? I wouldn't hold my breath. But Horror Fest DVD will be complete and on sale soon.

You should assume there will be a DVD that will be sold (i.e. commercially) and that your film will be on it.

srproductions
05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
When can we watch the entries?

Ben Sliker
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Believe it or not the Horror Fest DVD will be complete this month.

WHAT!?! is it true? *holds breath*

Matt Sconce
05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I am stoked because the DVD's get better and better. I am excited because I think we will see the best stuff we have seen yet with Spyfest, and that DVD will be amazing!

Michael_Petro
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Heres something I'm a little sketchy on... When I did my first fest I had a cast and crew party and showed the film... I wasn't worried about the vote cuz i had no idea what i was doing so getting DQ'd would not have made me cry... 57th baby :beer:

However, I think I would not like to be DQ'd, now that I have gotten just a smidgen better.. I am planning on having a cast, crew and Significant other party in 2 weeks to show everybody how it turned out... I am guessing this is OK since its a private party but just checking.. cuz i was gonna post pics and vids of the party and stuff ...

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Michael,

Have your party and enjoy your film :beer:

Private is OK. Jarred has even Ok'd small public screenings near the time of the DVXuser fests opening. The big no no is showing it publicly anywhere online. You can also email a private link to friends and family for feedback.

Just don't post it online for the general public.

Also, how would we know you had a private screening for cast and crew ... if you hadn't just told us :laugh:

Michael_Petro
05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
well i thought it would be cool to post a live video feed of the party _-NOT-_the movie.. so i didn't wanna break any rules.. Plus I would like to show pics of the party..

Hey Jack, just so you know you are one of the reasons I have kept doing these fest.. your review of my horror fest entry was what I needed...

Hey Michael,

Have your party and enjoy your film :beer:

Private is OK. Jarred has even Ok'd small public screenings near the time of the DVXuser fests opening. The big no no is showing it publicly anywhere online. You can also email a private link to friends and family for feedback.

Just don't post it online for the general public.

Also, how would we know you had a private screening for cast and crew ... if you hadn't just told us :laugh:

gaer42
06-01-2007, 05:46 AM
I hope this question has not yet been asked.... but

My crew has taken a slew of photos from the set and are eager to post them on their myspaces and send them to friends etc..... I have asked them to wait and I would let them know when they can post them online.... so what I am wondering is now that everything is uploaded to this site can I let them post their pictures OR do I have them wait until after the judging is done?

Larry Rutledge
06-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Wait, at least, until we publish the films for viewing...which should be Monday.

Peace,
Larry

cinealma
06-02-2007, 09:52 AM
So can we post clips in our threads on Monday or do we have to wait until after the screening period is over?