PDA

View Full Version : XL2 vs. GL2 (vs. ? ) for event work

Captain Pierce
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
OK, it's like this. I think my company is at the point where we need a couple more DV cameras, and I'm kind of up in the air about what to recommend to my boss, so I thought I'd throw it past the experts here. :)

First off, and I hate to say it, but the DVX100 is out because of its limited zoom range. Secondly, we have no need for HD, and the HVX is out of our budget--although I could possibly be talked into the XH-A1 if you tell me it's really awesome taking SD out via composite video (assuming it's possible). But, my instincts are telling me that my choice is between the XL2 and the GL2.

The GL2's pros, to me, are the built-in LCD and the cost; its cons seem to be the lack of native XLR inputs and the fact that the only video out is via a breakout cable. These are exactly reversed on the XL2: more money and no LCD, but XLR inputs and "real" outputs. Both have the 20X zoom that I covet, so that's a wash.

I have no need for 24P/24F; primary use for the camera will be I-MAG (image magnification, or putting the camera image on a big screen via LCD projector), with probably less than half the gigs even recorded.

Anybody used either of these in this sort of environment? Or have any other suggestions of what might be good here? In particular, has anybody used the GL2 with the MA300 mic adapter and/or the Beachtek DXA-4P? For those gigs that do need to be recorded, I'm gonna need something... :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Captain Pierce
02-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Nobody makes it down this far on this forum, do they? :D Too busy hitting the A1 forum to see if their shiny new cameras are approved for the next fest... :happy:

Justin Kuhn
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Though I'm primarily a Panny guy, I've had occasion to use both those cameras, though not with any form of external audio pickup. Seems like you could get an XL2 for its XLRs and video out, and GL2s as B cameras for the rest of the purchase?

Captain Pierce
02-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Good advice, but we rarely have an A/B camera situation--the majority of these gigs are one camera only. Today's the day we find out if we're actually buying another camera--have a need for two coming up, and only have one available (one DVX100A in the shop, the other missing and presumed stolen--ah, the joys of the rental business). I think it's going to be the GL2, just on price...