PDA

View Full Version : Film Company startup?

adventusfilms
02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I use a particular name for all the films which I produce. We're not making money, but at least as a DP, I can shoot and the director can direct and the actors can act, etc. I eventually want my tiny film company to have enough gear and network of talent where I can begin raising the bar on the production value/cost.

My question is, when's the best time to start taking the name seriously (ie. contracts, releases, insurance, legal responsibilities, etc.). Adventus Films basically means "this is a movie that I paid for", but how do I, for example, work out with the director the ownership of a film or the reproduction of a camera ops. reel with footage from our film, etc?

I just want to make sure I am covering myself by preserving the integrity of the movies I put money into. If these were larger-budget productions, I'd seek out the help from a lawyer, but they're not.

Another example is this writer/director friend who wants me to DP our second short together (that he put together) and because the majority of the budget is coming from the camera gear I own, we agree it's going to be another Adventus film. But who owns the rights to this film? It's going under my company's name financially but he put together most of the production.

Any thoughts?

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
But who owns the rights to this film?

Well, honestly that is a question you should be asking the guy you're working with.
There is no clear cut answer - unless the two of you decide on one and put it in writing.

But - I'm no lawyer.