PDA

View Full Version : C Mount Primes

Landon D Parks
01-07-2007, 10:53 PM
In the "FAQ" page on the SI site, they state that Fuji has low cost c-mount primes, which are designed for 2/3" sensors and can resolves up to 5MP resolution... Yet you don't state what they are?

Can you point me to a link where I can read about and/or buy these lenses?

Also, I hear that this camera can also be mounted with PL mount primes... Any suggestions on lower-cost, good PL primes that don't cost $10,000 for a set? So fare, $10,000 us about the cheapest I have seen PL primes.

Ari Presler
01-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Fujinon Lenses:

http://www.fujinoncctv.com/images/HF125SA-1.jpg

http://www.fujinoncctv.com/lenses/index5.shtml

We are in discussions with one of the PL mount lens manufacturers about building us OEM lenses. However, will still anticipate the cost of the new lenses to be around $2K a piece with wide angles being slightly more. This would mean a set of 3 could be had in the $6k range and a set of 4 in the $9K range (assuming the addtion of the pricier wide angle to the set).

Do you think we should pursue such an offering?

Jason Rodriguez
01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
BTW, Landon, please beware that with the c-mounts, you're getting what you pay for . . . these lenses are great optically, but horrible mechanically compared to a "real" cinema-designed PL-mount lens.

For instance, the focus throw is very short, has a little bit of discernable play in it, and is not calibrated precisely. The iris ring does not rack smoothly (it has hard "click" points at each f-stop like a still-camera lens, and will jump to the click points when you reach them, so rolling the iris will never be smooth), and it's going to require an after-market modification for fitting the lens into a normal matte-box (the filter size is too small, so it won't fit a normal matte-box rig without light leaking through the back of the matte-box), and for fitting the lens with gears to work with a follow-focus.

So, not trying to show you some "miracle of cinema" here with these lenses . . . they have been optimized for great optical performance, but they have not been optimized mechanically in any way whatsoever to the the requirements of the Cinema industry. They are though a great bang-for-the-buck.

Landon D Parks
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
"Do you think we should pursue such an offering?"
Go for it. $2,000 NEW seems pretty cheap for a prime lens... Will these lens's be as good as say an Ultra prime? or Superspeed?

Whatever you do, don't cut corners with quality. And be sure and make the lens's able to produce an F stop of at least 1.3 or as high as 1.8, so we can try and get more shallow DOF with the 2/3" camera.

PS) How much does a NEW, Super16mm PL prime go for nowdays? I hear anything from $2,000 - $4,000 each... How much could one expect to pay for USED Super16mm PL primes?

I really don't want to go the C mount route if I end up buying this camera. I worked with C mount lens's before, the local access TV station has cameras that fit C mount lens's, and I really don't care for them. I never worked with a PL mount before, but from what I hear, they are pretty good...

Landon D Parks
01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I found a set of good, new PL primes called Optar Illumina, for $14,500.00 new. They are PL mount, primes, and come in a set of like 12mm - 50mm... They also feature an F stop of 1.3, which is pretty good.

Mars United
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I was looking into those Optimas as well (though I would have only bought at most 4 for now). I decided instead to go with a Zeiss 12-120mm zoom. I was told that the Zeiss would still be sharper.

Very fast lenses, those Optimas. Also, I think they are the only lens made specifically for Super 16. The only thing is quality control. Can't remember the specifics, but I read something about the fact that they should be re-greased and set up by whoever imports them.

FWIW. :beer: