PDA

View Full Version : Vegas workflow

Landon D Parks
01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
What about those of us who use Sony Vegas software instead of Premiere Pro? What kind of workflow are we looking at? Is there any way to still shoot CineForm RAW and still edit the stuff in Vegas without having to purchase Premiere Pro just to convert the prospect HD files to something that can be edited on Vegas?

Not that I have anything against Premiere Pro, but I simply like the interface of Vegas better... Plus I don't want to have to invest in new software and have to learn that software, just to do what I already know in Vegas.

Thanks

David Newman
01-04-2007, 08:28 AM
The issue with Vegas is it is an 8-bit application vs Premiere Pro 32-bit float. 8-bit works OK for DV and HDV sources, yet CineForm RAW is 10-bit log, requiring at least 16-bit linear math to preserve all its color and dynamic range. We are hoping that Vegas get a floating point makeover in the future so it can be supported.

Ari Presler
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Landon,

As a Vegas user, we will include a copy of Premier Pro 2.0, as part of the Prospect-2K bundle order placed during the next 30-days ...so no extra investment will be required :smile: !

hemophilia
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
And how does the future workflow for other apps (such as Final Cut) bode?

I'm personally a Premiere user (and wicked-happy that you guys have gone that route), but just about everyone else I work with uses Final Cut.

-Kevin

David Newman
01-04-2007, 05:37 PM
For a while the best support will remain under Premiere Pro, however Final Cut support is actively being worked on.

hemophilia
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Does that mean that eventually Final Cut will have the same level of seamless integration that Premiere does now?

i.e. there won't be a 'best support' but rather it would be just as good in either app.

David Newman
01-04-2007, 11:20 PM
FCP will never likely be as good as Premiere Pro for this work as it doesn't have an extensive interface for developers to upgrade it.

Landon D Parks
01-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Time for me to give Premiere another go I guess.... My only real love with Vegas is it's simple interface. I once loaded Premiere Pro and couldn't find my way around all the windows and toolbars. It just didn'y seem as well layed-out as Vegas... Although that don't mean Vegas is better, just simplet to use.

FCP is what I always wanted to use... Although affording a MAC is another thing. $2,000 base for a MacPro (I think thats what they call'em?).

PS) Does Premiere Pro have the same or better in-software color grading as Vegas?

Which brings me to #2: What are some really good 2k native Color correcting software for Windows? I don't really care for the "In-Editing-Software" color graders... I would prefer to take color grading into another dedicated program.

David Newman
01-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Check out Color Finesse, and the new (very cheap) Colorista from Red Giant.

shijan
01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Vegas Pro 8.0 now supports 32 bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!