PDA

View Full Version : Canon, Sharp, Samsung, Adobe join AVC-HD

Barry_Green
01-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Hadn't paid attention, but the SimplyDV article on a tapeless HD future mentioned that Canon and Sharp were signed on to support AVC-HD.

So I went to the AVC-HD website and found out a few more notable names of companies on board, including Adobe, Samsung, Canopus, MainConcept, Pioneer, Sonic Solutions, Focus Enhancements, and Ulead.

So that makes editing solutions from Sony Vegas, Canopus, Adobe, and Ulead at least. And every substantial camcorder manufacturer but JVC: Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Sharp, and Samsung.

Since AVC-HD is an entirely tapeless system, I'm not sure what Focus Enhancements plans to offer -- it's not like we'll need a FireStore, but hey, the more the merrier I guess.

No doubt AVC-HD is gonna be huge. Now somebody just has to produce a decent camcorder head to go with the format. SimplyDV's review of the Panasonic SD1 was very flattering, but that's still just a little 60i-only consumer camcorder. When I was testing the XHA1 I kept thinking "if only... if only they'd gone with AVC-HD instead of HDV." Well, now that Canon's joined the AVC-HD coalition, maybe that's the type of product they'll make!