PDA

View Full Version : Ive made my decision

AllAroundFilmLV
12-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Ive been tossing back and forth between what camera I am going to purchase in March. a dvx100 or a dvc80. after much thought, I am going to go with the dvc80. 24p I dont really care about, and the dvc80's I have found online are about $600 cheaper than a 100A, which will leave about a half a grand to play around with in accessories (more specifically a light kit.).

The only way I think I will change my mind is if a nice 100A pops up on here in March for the same price and low hrs, which is almost never. Im excited.

Barry_Green
12-31-2006, 11:45 PM
DVC80's been discontinued for around three years now. It would be very surprising if anyone actually had any new ones in stock. Where are you seeing these?

AllAroundFilmLV
01-01-2007, 05:39 PM
sorry, did I say I found new ones? I didnt, the one I found only had 82 hrs on it though. Barry, do you know why DVC80's are so hard to come by?

Barry_Green
01-01-2007, 06:40 PM
There were very few made. It was only offered for a short while; I don't remember when it was introduced and when it was discontinued but I don't think it was offered for a year, it may have only been like 8 months from introduction to discontinuing.

filmmaker1977
01-01-2007, 10:16 PM
"Ive been tossing back and forth between what camera I am going to purchase in March. a dvx100 or a dvc80. after much thought, I am going to go with the dvc80. "
DVC80's been discontinued for around three years now.:grin:

AllAroundFilmLV
01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah I know. I was just looking at DVX100A's again, and now my biggest concern is this.

24p feature aside, the cameras are essentially the same, correct? So, Do I buy the less expensive DVC80 and purchase a Manfrotto/Shoulder Rig, and an inexpensive light kit. Or do I opt for the widely accepted DVX100, and pay $400-$600 more for the camera alone

what do you guys think?

Robert86
01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
24p feature aside, the cameras are essentially the same, correct? So, Do I buy the less expensive DVC80 and purchase a Manfrotto/Shoulder Rig, and an inexpensive light kit. Or do I opt for the widely accepted DVX100, and pay $400-$600 more for the camera alone

I'd buy the cheapest 3chip camera and spend the rest on a nice light kit. You can get really good deals at www.bmlighting.com

Emanuel
01-02-2007, 12:09 AM
If you don't care 24P, what about the new Canon HV-10? It seems to have an unbeatable great high res offer.

AllAroundFilmLV
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Well, dude Im still going to be doing professional gigs, so If I walk into a room with a Canon HV 10, I'll get laughed right out of the room.

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.

Even if it doesnt, it makes me feel good. Compensation I suppose

Barry_Green
01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
24P is not the only difference between the cameras. I did a post a few years ago that illustrated the differences, but there were several. I don't believe the DVC80 offers the cinegamma, or the focus and zoom readouts, or a bunch of nice things like that.

AllAroundFilmLV
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
hmmmm... thats good to know. I was under the impression that way were the same minus 24p. Thats why I figured they werent available for very long. If you have that post handy, that would be great. I'll do a search for it.

Emanuel
01-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Well, dude Im still going to be doing professional gigs, so If I walk into a room with a Canon HV 10, I'll get laughed right out of the room.

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.Understood. But try to add a stabilizer system plus a matte box + rods + a 35mm adapter genre M2 + SLR lenses and maybe you can find what you're looking for. Without mention the 35mm DOF with shallow film-like properties if you wish or will need as an option and value-added.

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.

Even if it doesnt, it makes me feel good. Compensation I supposehey dude, you are funny.. you don't want the canon even if w/ the super pro emanuel's setup.. and do you want to seem pro with a dvc80?.. lol

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
a DVC80 is better than a Canon HV10 imo. But thats just my opinion.

and yeah I would rather have a DVC80 than a Consumer camera with a bunch of toys on it.

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 11:04 AM
toys..

:thumbdown

that stuff?.. you don't know what you're talking about..

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I guess not. I just want my cmaera

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
go ahead.. but if you're thinking those are toys, i suggest you first.. some research.. for a pro use you must know what are rods, matte, filters, etc.. what it means smooth imaging/operating etc.. and some filmmaking lessons if you are thinking to do a professional work.. the bootcamps would be a good idea..

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
ok cool, I'll look into the bootcamps. thnx. I say toys becuase I dont know how to use any of those yet, so buying those would be a waste. Also, I want to stay in SD b/c HD video is a massive beast I am not ready to conquer yet. Ive been told to stay in SD for at least a year until going HD. And even when we decide to go HD, hire somebody who knows HD, to make the transition easier.

Thnx for giving me a hard time filmmaker :)

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 11:47 AM
hd is present.. don't give a damn what a few can say to you if it is the case.. but sd already was.. they just want to sell you sd today.. just to sell you hd tomorrow.. the rules are the same.. w/ just a small difference: res..

sd = tv (soaps, talk shows, docs, etc)
hd = storytelling

edit
see this:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=815020#post815020

Gordon Prince
01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree. The close-ups are the best you can get from the SD world.

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
The person who told me this wasnt a salesman or anything, it was one of my classmates whos a lead editor for FSN (Fox Sports Network), and has much HD exp, so I trust his advice. I have very little exp with video as it is, I am still learning. So if I buy a cam for 2 grand, and use it for a year, it wont be that big of a deal to move to HD in the middle of next year. Plus, right now, for the videos I make, HD is completely uneccessary.

You see what I mean?

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 12:20 PM
i'd follow the emanuel advice if progressive wasn't my playground.. it is likely to have a buck or a half of dozen.. these guys don't want to see you dealing w/ the same res than they have.. or something similar..

Emanuel
01-03-2007, 12:27 PM
The person who told me this wasnt a salesman or anything, it was one of my classmates whos a lead editor for FSN (Fox Sports Network), and has much HD exp, so I trust his advice. I have very little exp with video as it is, I am still learning. So if I buy a cam for 2 grand, and use it for a year, it wont be that big of a deal to move to HD in the middle of next year. Plus, right now, for the videos I make, HD is completely uneccessary.

You see what I mean?For the benefits of the downsampling:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=81853

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
"if progressive wasn't my playground"

??? What do you mean by that?

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
progressive is my playground..

but if you work for tv, docs, non-fiction, etc (ex. the close-ups speciality), sd can be enough.. but did you already link the emanuel tip?.. you have a respectful and experienced professional giving all you need and..

btw, he gives you lessons for free.. he's used to be paid to have people listening him.. otherwise, you have all the hints for free.. thanks to DVXuser and emanuel of course..

edit
follow the right river..

AllAroundFilmLV
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
See, heres the deal. I would just buy an HVX and use the tapes for SD taping. But the thing is, I have basically no budget for a cam. Maybe 1500-1700 in march. Thats nowhere near enough for a decent HD cam. Plus hardware and software to be able to handle HD.

MacWorm
01-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Hello, what about March in particular makes it seem appealing to buy during that time? Is it known to have price drops? Thanks!

AllAroundFilmLV
01-14-2007, 01:47 AM
No, Ive been saving up, and my birthday is in March so I'll have a ton of extra cash then