PDA

View Full Version : Another new XH-A1 owner

scharky
12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Yep, I made the plunge today,
XH-A1
Marshal HD monitor
from BH, should be here tommorow. Unfortunatly I have shoots all this weekend so I probably won't be able to even look at it until next week. Why did I get over night shipping ? :)

Ramon Boutviseth
12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
congrats!, I was on the site today trying to order the thing but had problems with the cc. Couldn't get it resolved but Newegg has it for 3649.00, i think i'll go with them.

Elton
12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Congratulations Scharky! Wow, got the Marshall monitor too--very nice. You will really love using that.

Let us know your impressions once you've had sufficient playtime with it.

Drew Ott
12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the gang.

scharky
12-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I got the Marshal monitor becasue I will be doing alot of 35mm adapter shoots and it will really help to have the image flipped and have enough resolution to actually see the focus. Now I just have to figure out how to use my old Panasonic Batteries on my Marshall monitor. The one I have comes with the V-mount, but I don't feel like buying into that system at the moment. ANyone have any ideas?

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
it hurt me to do it, but i also said goodbye to my dvx a few days ago. My A1 will arrive when i get back from my hawaii vacation. i was debating between the sony V1u and the A1, the HVX was out of the question because the p2 cards cost too much. Based apon the footage i have seen around here, i feel confident in my choice of leaving my dvx behind and testing canon's waters.

Emanuel
12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
it hurt me to do it, but i also said goodbye to my dvx a few days ago. My A1 will arrive when i get back from my hawaii vacation. i was debating between the sony V1u and the A1, the HVX was out of the question because the p2 cards cost too much. Based apon the footage i have seen around here, i feel confident in my choice of leaving my dvx behind and testing canon's waters.First impressions (as A1 user vs. former DVX shooter)?

scenedirector
12-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I was a former DVX100a owner. NEVER had a Canon before. These A1s definitely have me considering BOTH Panasonic and Canon for future purposes.

xray
12-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Join the gang Sharky,
At the long end of the lens you hardly need a 35mm lens there is DOF enough, but for the others: the redrock M2 full version with -25% for Xmas just for some days.

Stu Siegal
12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Was just about to start a similar thread. Ordered today, along with an HV10 and a Kona LHe. Sadly, my beloved 100a will be up for sale shortly. AFter two hour plus visits to B&H, I was blown away, and I've also never owned a Canon.

Now, the wait for a tracking #...

scharky
12-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised everyone is selling their DVX's, I'm keeping mine, it's been a great camera and I still get tones of business asking specifically for the DVX. While the A1 will most likely become my main camera, the DVX will not be going anywhere any time soon for me. Over 700 hrs and still ticking.

Stu Siegal
12-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Probably because they don't know about the A1 yet :) If I had any use for it, I'd keep it, but my clients aren't camera-specific, which makes it irrelevant. Plus, gotta pay for the new cam.

Elton
12-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Was just about to start a similar thread. Ordered today, along with an HV10 and a Kona LHe. Sadly, my beloved 100a will be up for sale shortly. AFter two hour plus visits to B&H, I was blown away, and I've also never owned a Canon.

Now, the wait for a tracking #...

Good choices, DrHST. You will especially love the Kona LHe card. Fantastic to work with--it's great being able to externally monitor 24F in full HD, in addition to all the different formats support and RT fx.

Stu Siegal
12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Elton,

Your posts were a big influence in my decision, much thanks. Looking forward to many more, and hopefully adding to the knowledge pool out there.

CanonVideoMan
12-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Now all you need is Cineform to edit that native HD and you are set to edit in a 4-2-2 colorspace.

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Now all you need is Cineform to edit that native HD and you are set to edit in a 4-2-2 colorspace.

cineform? got a link to it?

J.R. Hudson
12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Cineform (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cineform&btnG=Google+Search)

TimurCivan
12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Luckily my freind is buying an A1.... Which esentially means that i have BOTH an HVX and A1 at my disposal... Muahahahahhaha!!!!!

I like em both. but i like 72060P and DVCpro50 SD too much...

Elton
12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Seriously, that is a great combo Timur.

Elton
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM

He did state that he bought the *Kona LHe* which is meant for FCP and MacOSX. The Xena card from aja is meant for CineForm and Windows. (at least currently. Still waiting on CineForm FCP support)

There are lots of ways to edit in 4:2:2 space with the FCP/Kona combo. I personally recommend editing native HDV 24F to save disc space, then copying the sequences into a superior lossless codec like Sheer (www.bitjazz.com) and doing final grading and QT output from that.

Jay Rodriguez
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the club scharky!

Hey Elton,
Is there any way you can document a step by step process on that for idiots like me? :)

Elton
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the club scharky!

Hey Elton,
Is there any way you can document a step by step process on that for idiots like me? :)

I'll put up a tutorial at xlcinema sometime this weekend. Don't worry, it's really not all that complicated.

Jay Rodriguez
12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
oh very cool! Thanks Elton!

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-29-2006, 04:31 PM
what are people currently using to get true HD with premier pro 2.0? I noticed there are sevral cineform packages...
my a1 hasnt came in the mail yet, im still waiting, just want to be prepared.

strancali
12-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey John, i'm curious to know what your impression of the A1 is. I remember back when the XL2 came out and you weren't too thrill with it but i bought it anyways and was not very happy with it. It's time for me to look for another camera and was wondering if you would stick with a dvx100b or go for the A1.

Thanks John, just curious that all.

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey John, i'm curious to know what your impression of the A1 is. I remember back when the XL2 came out and you weren't too thrill with it but i bought it anyways and was not very happy with it. It's time for me to look for another camera and was wondering if you would stick with a dvx100b or go for the A1.

Thanks John, just curious that all.

as far as comparing it to the dvx100b, it destroys it. I sold my dvx100b for the a1. My advice, sell your dvx now on craigslist while its still worth a penny.

strancali
12-29-2006, 05:54 PM
as far as comparing it to the dvx100b, it destroys it. I sold my dvx100b for the a1. My advice, sell your dvx now on craigslist while its still worth a penny.

Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to make the same mistake i did when i purchased the XL2. Would you choose it over the HVX200?

Stu Siegal
12-29-2006, 07:10 PM
He did state that he bought the *Kona LHe* which is meant for FCP and MacOSX. The Xena card from aja is meant for CineForm and Windows. (at least currently. Still waiting on CineForm FCP support)

There are lots of ways to edit in 4:2:2 space with the FCP/Kona combo. I personally recommend editing native HDV 24F to save disc space, then copying the sequences into a superior lossless codec like Sheer (www.bitjazz.com) and doing final grading and QT output from that.

Yep, that's one workflow. But if you're headed to dvd, then copying into dvcpro hd for better graphics works too.

All I'm really missing is a hi def monitoring solution, though according to the tech at AJA, the downconvert to my sony pvm 14 will be pretty close to accurate in terms of colors, and blacks, so he says. Once I have a look and compare what the scopes say to what my eyes see, I'll start a thread.

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to make the same mistake i did when i purchased the XL2. Would you choose it over the HVX200?

well, by purchasing this cam you arnt making a mistake. Personally, yes, i would and did take it over the HVX. The price point of the media is what made me make that choice. HVX p2 cards cost way too much. For the price of the HVX and 2 8GB p2 cards (which you will adventually need) you could purchase 2 canon A1's. I dont think the A1 does 720P, i think only 24F at 1080... I could be wrong tho. The hvx does 720P and dont forget it can do 60P so you could slow that down for some really nice slowmo. If you need 720P and 60P then this cam will not work for you, however, if you just want solid HD with great colors, great lense at a great price, then i would say the A1 is for you. Dont forget, if you still want HVX-like slowmo with the canon A1 you can shoot 60i at 1080i, deinterlace it in vdubmod (or something like that) and then import it/slow it down. It will have blended frames but still look much better than slowmo coming from the NLE taking your 24F and copying frames to achieve the slow look.

i have only played with the A1 at frys, mine should be coming in the mail soon. I will be sure to play with it and get some nice test footage going.

SamKam
12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Have shot a whole bunch with the DVX and loved it (much more than the Sony PD150 I used to shoot with). Thanks to the discussions here and other places last week I traded in my DVX and got the A1. Have only begun to play with it but must admit I am smitten. Just waiting now for the FireStore update to support 24F, and I'll be able to have a tapeless workflow with simultaneously recorded tape backup(!).

Regarding the Kona LHe and FCP, editing in 4:2:2 colorspace, etc., if anyone cares to elucidate for a hopeless neophyte, it would be most appreciated.

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Have shot a whole bunch with the DVX and loved it (much more than the Sony PD150 I used to shoot with). Thanks to the discussions here and other places last week I traded in my DVX and got the A1. Have only begun to play with it but must admit I am smitten. Just waiting now for the FireStore update to support 24F, and I'll be able to have a tapeless workflow with simultaneously recorded tape backup(!).

Regarding the Kona LHe and FCP, editing in 4:2:2 colorspace, etc., if anyone cares to elucidate for a hopeless neophyte, it would be most appreciated.

and likewise if anyone knows how to edit a 4:2:2: colorspace in premier pro 2.0 it would be apreciated.

Stu Siegal
12-30-2006, 01:23 PM
The Kona LHe is a PCIe card, that, when used with fcp, allows for real time external monitoring of hdv, not to mention providing a host of ins and outs and some acceleration.

Poke around www.aja.com for some of their products.

The sheer codec is a codec Elton has discussed extensively elsewhere here, try a search. Basically, if you cut in hdv then convert to sheer, you get 4:2:2 color space, less storage, and faster renders.

Here's a link

http://bitjazz.com/en/products/sheervideo/

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-30-2006, 02:00 PM
The Kona LHe is a PCIe card, that, when used with fcp, allows for real time external monitoring of hdv, not to mention providing a host of ins and outs and some acceleration.

Poke around www.aja.com (http://www.aja.com) for some of their products.

The sheer codec is a codec Elton has discussed extensively elsewhere here, try a search. Basically, if you cut in hdv then convert to sheer, you get 4:2:2 color space, less storage, and faster renders.

Here's a link

http://bitjazz.com/en/products/sheervideo/

so basically that takes my HDV footage captured via firewire from the A1 and converts it to 4:2:2?

Elton
12-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, it doesn't actually add more chroma info than you originally acquired but it does allow you to bypass the HDV codec for final CC, renders, etc. that would otherwise further degrade your original image.

(G chroma sharpen from Nattress does a nice job of filling in chroma gaps however)