PDA

View Full Version : grainy image in the "Abigail" footage

Landon D Parks
12-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Did anyone else notice the horribly grainy and blown out footage in SI's video section of the "Abigail" footage?

I'm sure this is just a matter of the camera operator, with the blow out anyway. But what gives with all the noise in the image? I have not seen any other SI-2k footage with that kind of noise. Also, clip#1 looks horribly out of focus... Not to say anything about the camera itself, but it looks like clip was was shot on really bad Super8mm film. Again, since other videos from the camera seem to be prefect in every way, this is probably just a shooters error or something... The stills frm the video seem REALLY clean, crisp and full of color.... kind of strange.

Great camera guys! Keep up the good work!

PS) Arri, do you have any FULL RES, uncompressed STILLS from the camera? I find some compressed images, but they are not full red. I wanna see a full res, uncompressed 2k image from the camera... lol. :dankk2::dankk2::dankk2::dankk2:

Paul Coleman
12-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Looks like the Abigail footage is unedited clips. That shot you refer to is just shallow DOF; so almost everything is way out of focus except the little statue/doll.

If you look at Scene_1_Shot_7, I think it shows more what the camera can do. But you're right, these clips probably don't do the camera justice.

Ari Presler
12-24-2006, 11:28 PM
We really need to update the footage in the gallery. We are just waiting to get a few of the production SI-2K cameras into the field and get current footage. The Abigail footage was shot on our first prototype SI-1920!

We should be able to post some new content just after New Years.

Ari Presler
12-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Here is a clip from a film recently shot in Estonia with SI-2K.

If you have the patience, this QT file is 535MB !!!!!!

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Gallery/markus1.mov

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Gallery/markus.JPG

hemophilia
12-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Downloading the mega-file... the still looks really nice.

Keep the updates coming Ari. I know the SI section of this forum isn't getting the attention it deserves, but there ARE a number of us out here paying close attention to everything that you're saying/showing.

-Kevin

Emanuel
12-27-2006, 06:19 PM
The same opinion here but I'd add, Ari you have all you want to get it. This digital cinema camera rocks (it is my second choice).

Ari Presler
12-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Emanual,

If we were your first choice, there would be no goal to strive for achievement! We will simply have to work on giving you a reason to need/want your #2 choice ;-)

More sample content to follow in the next few days.

firewallet
12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Ari, I am watching as well (and have been). Really look forward to you and your teams work. I too, wish you guys all the best.

Ari Presler
12-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks! Based on the recent changes in camera specs in the market and recent tests on our first production imagers, the Silicon Imaging 2K performance has become even more attractive than ever!

It is not yet an official spec but initial tests show a baseline ISO400 and 10.5~11 stops of dynamic range :smile:

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
go blues go..

Jason Rodriguez
01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
the "Abigail" footage was shot two years ago on a completely different imager with a very early prototype of the camera system . . . we've progressed two complete sensor generations since then and are working with a completely different imager from Altasens now (their latest generation chips). It's grainy because for the amount of head-room we are showing in the clip, there was a lot of noise on the sensor.

The sensor back then was good and very promising, but it's nowhere in the league of what we're using now. As Ari noted, we're getting a base ISO of 400 using our native RAW 10-bit log curve, and around 11 f-stops of real-world dynamic range.

Also of note is that the clip you see above was shot with the previous generation product from Altasens, so we're going to be shipping with a newer generation chip that what you're seeing there.

filmmaker1977
01-03-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah.. i was joking w/ a former ari's quote..

edit
but you have a real task to deal with.. however nothing that a price policy cannot handle to..