PDA

View Full Version : NEW POLL: would you deliver on DivX HD?

Martin Landsburg
12-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Ok first time posting a poll, hope this works!
From Elton's footage in the mutlicam test thread, a few new ideas and solutions sparked and got me curious. Since more and more consumers, prosumers and pros are able to afford HD(V) cameras, delivery on HD is becoming more of an issue now. HDTV sales are rising, and we would like to provide HD content for them.
The options I came across such as blu ray and HD DVD are still not a very affordable option, since blank media for available blu ray burners cost around 30$ US.
However, distribution on regular DVD-R or even via download (see Elton's thread) is very affordable indeed. HDTV Hard drive media players come with DVI out, some HD DivX players with HDMI out. My question: is DivX HD of acceptable standards?
Eyeballing it, it sure looks great to me! I haven't tested any footage on HDTVs yet, but could this be the start of low cost HD distribution?

I would like to know who would deliver their HD(V) project in DivX HD!
If you would like to comment, please state why or why not, what alternatives you have in mind, etc. Please mind that we are talking about what we are able to do today...

Perhaps in the next year or so, things will change rapidly with the availability of HD DVD burners coming up and affordable media players such as the new media player posted by Emmanuel elsewhere in this thread.
Comments or predictions of what 2007 will have to offer are also welcome.

flydef
12-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Don't forget XviD, which looks better than DivX, and can usually be used with players that can handle DivX.

Martin Landsburg
12-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Hmm yes that's true, some can play Xvid..do you mean better looking compared to data rate?

Elton
12-21-2006, 06:15 AM
DivX HD is perfectly viable as far as delivery quality goes, it just needs a stronger marketing message.

I think some very cheap DVD players available at Costco can play DivX HD discs via HDMI.

Question I have is how robust is menu authoring in DivX? It's one thing to be able to playback HD files, quite another to make a nice commercial disc with a great looking navigational system.

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
DivX HD is perfectly viable as far as delivery quality goes, it just needs a stronger marketing message.

I think some very cheap DVD players available at Costco can play DivX HD discs via HDMI.

Question I have is how robust is menu authoring in DivX? It's one thing to be able to playback HD files, quite another to make a nice commercial disc with a great looking navigational system.

VERY good point. XVID owns on divx, i would deff use it. xvid is my favorite codec. What the folks at divx need to do is make a divx hd player that supports xvid, has hdmi out and some sort of way to make dvd style menu's as elton suggested. Also, it would be nice if divx (or someone) would market an HD hard drive player with a USB host port so you could upload the files directly from another USB device. Or even better, an ethernet port for network connectivity so people could simply dump thier movies right from a computer. (watch this idea come out next week while someone gets rich and i dont) lol I dont care, i just want this device!

Martin Landsburg
12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
thanks Elton, that's an important issue you are raising there.

the who, that's what the media gate 350 does which i mentioned in the multicam thread, and no doubt other players, for DivX with all the bells and whistles.

I just found this:
http://www.gowellent.net/ProductsWeb/h264/898.html
H.264 DVD player with ethernet, plays other USB and SD cards, etc.
HDMI out too

Is h.264 that much better than DivX from what i hear? But how could it deliver a constant stream from the pc over ethernet if this player doesnt have a hard drive...

t-h-e-w-h-o
12-21-2006, 09:11 PM
thanks Elton, that's an important issue you are raising there.

the who, that's what the media gate 350 does which i mentioned in the multicam thread, and no doubt other players, for DivX with all the bells and whistles.

I just found this:
http://www.gowellent.net/ProductsWeb/h264/898.html
H.264 DVD player with ethernet, plays other USB and SD cards, etc.
HDMI out too

Is h.264 that much better than DivX from what i hear? But how could it deliver a constant stream from the pc over ethernet if this player doesnt have a hard drive...

cool device, but as you said, a bit pointless w/o a hd

Martin Landsburg
12-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Not pointless if you are delivering on a h.264 disc?
You can get an hour and a half, 2 hours of good quality 720p on one DVD-R, from what i hear. How does it compare to DivX, or Xvid, or VC-1 (supposed to be even better)...

The ethernet streaming quality would need to be tested on this device though.

Elton
12-23-2006, 04:12 PM
btw, I just bought a $70 Toshiba upconverting HDMI DVD player that plays Divx. I'm going to see if it can play DivX HD files via HDMI.

Martin Landsburg
12-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks Elton, I hope you can let us know here on the forum! That is really cheap. But then that would make the Toshiba A1 HD DVD player redundant if it would really work...but for our sake, let's hope they made a mistake and it does
play DivX HD! I know ffdshow does a good job at uprezzing on a PC, watched Kill Bill on DVD on a 1920x1200 screen, pretty amazing. Keep us posted!

Elton
12-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks Elton, I hope you can let us know here on the forum! That is really cheap... Keep us posted!

You bet, but first I have to unwrap it tomorrow and look surprised. ;)

Martin Landsburg
12-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Elton, did you try out your new Toshiba player yet?

Elton
12-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Not yet. I'm trying to find out how to format a disc that the player will read the files from.

xray
12-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I learnd to keep close to industrial standards as possible, after killing some others, Quicktime and Windowsmedia with its container policy remained. You need to bring out something that is easy to view for consumers. Game experts and computerfreaks are not in my consumer list.

I don't have DivX, and all that is shown with it, passes me like the wind.
(an old native American way of speaking )

Martin Landsburg
12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Alright chief, I guess that means a 'no' vote...yes h.264/ quicktime is nice, but what kind of set top box mediaplayers can play them? I found some, but they equal the price of a PC that can display a 720p signal...

Saw some upscaling of a DVD on a sony full 1080p HDTV last night. According to the salesman, the upscaling was done in the HDTV, not the DVD player. Looked absolutely stunning, better than most HDTVs i've seen so far. Around 3000 USD..

Gordon Prince
12-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Perhaps in the next year or so, things will change rapidly with the availability of HD DVD burners coming up and affordable media players such as the new media player posted by Emmanuel elsewhere in this thread.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=79975

Martin Landsburg
12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
thanks for cross linking, Gordon!

Elton
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Elton, did you try out your new Toshiba player yet?

Didn't work. :(

I was able to burn a generic ISO disc with divx 720p files that it recognized, but when I set the player to playback 720p HDMI from divx it said "HD not supported".

Bummer. It does a nice job of upconverting regular DVD's, but it won't do real HD.

There's always XBox 360 w/HD DVD or these: http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=7

Martin Landsburg
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks, I had a suspected as much, just read something similar on avs forum...also thanks for the link, I had seen the buffalo player but not the avelink. 249 USD is not bad compared to 500 USD for an HD DVD player, but still pricey.

hmm, this sounds interesting: USB 2.0 High Speed Storage Reading for iPod, HDDs, and thumb memories
so this means you can attach an external USB 2 hard drive and it will read from it? pretty amazing...

Curtis_Rhoads
12-30-2006, 01:38 AM
You have to keep in mind that Divx and Divx HD are 2 different things. There are DVD players out there that are capable of playing Divx HD files, but they cost $180 to $500. The player that Elton probably bought can play the normal Divx files, while being able to upconvert them to 720 for play on HDTV's. A while ago, I too was looking into this, and discovered that Divx and Divx HD were different. It's my understanding that with Divx HD, you can make a menu from which to play the movie, much like a regular DVD.

Edit: According to some friends, as of v6 of Divx, you can now create menus for all Divx based disc products. I'm gonna have to look into this a little more. Too bad my DVD player only supports up to Divx 5.x!

Martin Landsburg
12-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Hi Curtis, so DivX 6 is not HD yet, is it? Sometimes a player has this listed as a spec...
Which DivX HD player did you find for 180$? That is really cheap!

dcrin3
01-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Costco also sells a toshiba 20" lcd for $599.99 that plays divx hd 480p/720p/1080i. yep, a builtin dvd player too capable of upconverting regular dvd.

filmmaker1977
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
DIVX HD delivery, why not?..

Martin Landsburg
01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
That's an interesting option, a 2-in-1 solution, but 20" is still quite small...

why not divx hd delivery, filmmaker '77, there could be tons of reasons... for example, xray mentioned something about native americans not liking DivX.
Other people who voted nay may or may not have had similar or other reasons, all equally valid, of course. I for one used to let a spirit board select all my codecs, but then my new year's resolution is to give up alcohol altogether.

Ok so the purpose was to see if people feel Divx, and Xvid have enough acceptance across the board to be marketed professionally, now with all the DivX DVD players becoming more common place. But then, DivX HD is another matter. I guess in the end it all depends on the outlet/distribution channel, who's going to watch it etc. But from what I've gathered here is that, as long as you know that DivX (HD) CAN be played by your client, then it's alright to deliver on that format. At least, I've heard no major objections here.
Thanks to everyone for contributing, and a happy new year!

dcrin3
01-02-2007, 05:22 PM
sorry, i did check that at costco today...it does only divx and not hd! but its an hdtv set thats it.