PDA

View Full Version : Workflow: Shoot 25f - dub to HD-D5 for 24p?

Cinetastic
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I have been reasonably convinced, since shooting in PAL land, that 25f would be the smartest option. Given that there would be a 4% speed reduction when (finally) going to 24p, I will have to take that on the chin so to speak.

So would the following proposed workflow succeed, i.e. has anyone any knowledge of connection the 25f XH-G1 HDV rushes tape from camera out SDI to record direct onto HD-D5 losslessly? The G1 camera playing back a HDV tape go straight into a HD-D5 for 'clone' dumping of each HDV 60 minute tape onto a HD-D5 tape? Would timecodes move across, etc?

My idea is to shoot 25f HDV onto tape, and then PC edit offline with what I have available - in standard defintion. I presume that the camera firewire output plays back the HDV tape to SD 50i?

I would then hire a HD-D5 to dump onto from the original tapes playing back from a hired XH-G1 camera, and then go to an online HD-D5 edit in a suite. Does what I propose ring any alarm bells with anyone?

I then would have a 25p master, which can be output to 24p etc.

Elton
12-18-2006, 02:30 PM
So would the following proposed workflow succeed, i.e. has anyone any knowledge of connection the 25f XH-G1 HDV rushes tape from camera out SDI to record direct onto HD-D5 losslessly? The G1 camera playing back a HDV tape go straight into a HD-D5 for 'clone' dumping of each H.

The SDI output (whether live and uncompressed 4:2:2 or HDV playback) is SMPTE and IBU for PAL, and moves video, audio and timecode.

It should work with the D5 deck if it has SDI I/O and recognizes embedded audio/timecode signals.