PDA

View Full Version : Mattebox For A1-IAF

Jay Stebbins
12-12-2006, 11:13 AM
As I am in the process of getting a Mattebox from www.geardear.com for my A1. I am dealing with Gerhard. He says they can quickly make a Mattebox with a cutout for the A1. You would need to use 4x5.65 filters, if using flat. Because the edge of a 4x4 run right through the center of the sensor.

The only question left would be how a ND filter or glass in general would effect the sensors performance. For those not using filters or just using circular filters they can easily make a makebox to accommodate the sensor.

Jay

Jay Stebbins
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
I just tested the IAF by holding a UV, Polarizing and my finger over the IAF. Of course the finger leaves only the lens autofocus to work, and it is slower, as expected. The IAF works fine through the UV and the circular polarizer.

Noel Evans
12-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Well done Jay another piece of useful info for everyone.

But as an aside, I never use any AF features, other than sometimes to do a quick distance comparison (which the standard AF works fine for), which to date has always been spot on I might add.

henry cho
12-13-2006, 01:01 AM
nice post jake... i ordered geardear's large kit with french and side flags a couple of days ago. i can't say enough nice things about gerhard. i practically never use the auto focus feature, but he brought up the iaf sensor issue without me even asking about it. the really nice thing about this matte box is the kit's modular build and that everything breaks down into 8mm slices, which makes it ideal as far as portability is concerned. there is also the ring kit add-on that will allow the majority of photographic lenses to be fitted to the matte box, for use with the m2 and other 35mm adapters. i believe gerhard owns an hvx/m2 setup, so he understands these kinds of issues. even without factoring the exceptional service, compared to other matte boxes currently in it's price range, the geardear is quite a bargain.

edit:
sorry about getting the name wrong jay. too many sleepless nights at work are getting to me...

Jay Stebbins
12-13-2006, 07:36 AM
NJCE, I am with you on the auto focus. I mentioned it because of posts I saw regarding the IAF being blocked. Although, if I am moving quickly to get the shot. I do use the "push af" button to get me in the ball park, and recorrect from there. certainly can live without it though.

I a just thrilled to find a modular box that I can adapt as my needs change during the next year.

marc.m
12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Thank you, Jay.

Ncje, I think, the AIF sensor makes sense to use, because you can not manually zoom and focus at the same time with the Canon A1 or G1. But the AF still works, when you zoom manually. And the AIF sensor makes the autofocus much faster...
I donīt own a Canon A1, but Iīm a bit jealous... ;-) I have heard so much good things about this camera.
But I do own a Geardear mattebox, and it is nice to hear that the flexibility pays off...
What features or sensors will the next Panasonic or Sony offer close to the lens? Nobody knows...