PDA

View Full Version : Canon A1 Benefits Package?

Jay Rodriguez
12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Ok, this is strange.

I just got a voicemail from a woman from Canon saying that she was trying to mail me Canon's Benefits package but in their records I'm missing a few digits from my serial number.

What is that?

Did any of you A1 owners get a benefits package from Canon?

scharky
12-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Yikes, that's sounds a bit iffy to me. Maybe there is a benefits package, but it really sounds like those emails you get, "were trying to send you a free trip to Europe, but we don't have the last 4 digits of your social security number" :( Now I don't know what a scam artist would do with your serial number if it is already registered, who knows. To answer your question, I havn't heard of a Benefit package, maybe you just lucked out.

Chris Santucci
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
" Did any of you A1 owners get a benefits package from Canon?"

I bought mine on 11/29, registered it the next day and have yet to get a call about a "benefits package."

Sounds bogus to me...

You would have given the serial number to Canon twice, I'd assume. Once to the owners club and once to Canon warranty service, so I don't get why they'd be missing numbers.

Jay Stebbins
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Coffee,

I bought my camera right around the same time as you. I have heard nothing from Canon. Also, missing a few digits? What could they not read the garbled type on the screen? I would call Canon, and check/inform them of this inquiry. It sounds like someone is phishing for info.

Follow it up with Canon though. Perhaps send the so called benefit people some bogus info to see where it goes.

Good Luck,
Jay

Jason Ramsey
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Yep. I would let canon know. You could be stopping a big scam before it gets started, man. You could be a hero!

:thumbsup:

You are definitely right to be suspicious, in my opinion
Jason

Sean Michael
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Raise shields...go to yellow alert.

Jay Rodriguez
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Ok, it's legit... lol

Long story short, Canon is calling a boat load of recent buyers who registered their product(s) (A1 included) through the web form. Apparently the web form got screwed up and left off the last two digits from everyone's online submission.

I called in and did my registration over the phone and the idiot did it through the online web form rather then through their main feed like he was suppossed to.

I called Canon directly and the first person that I spoke with knew exactly who the woman was that called me, she took down my name, physically located her as they were in the same department and took care of business for me. All I could think was, WOW, they actually care about this stuff instead of just saying screw it, let the customer deal with it.

That was really good of them.

For anyone who thinks this is BS, get the Canon # from their website (800) 828-4040 and call them. Ask to be transfered to the Canon ITS department, then ask for Marsha Gibbs or just call her directly @ 757-579-7110.

Kholi
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Coffee is straight pioneering the A1.

scharky
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Well it's great that it turns out to be true, but what is it?

Jay Rodriguez
12-11-2006, 07:46 PM
not really sure, they said there was a benefit package that they were sending out. What that is? Not sure.

scharky
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
A basket of apples, oranges and marmalade jelly :) All of course with the Canon logo.

manglerBMX
12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
like a friends with benefits package?

Jay Rodriguez
12-12-2006, 10:11 AM
LOL!!!!! COOL! haha

Drew Ott
12-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Any word on what this benefits package actually is?

Jay Rodriguez
12-13-2006, 06:38 AM
no, i didn't ask to be honest with you... i should of though. if I get some time later today, I'll call back to ask what they were sending out.