PDA

View Full Version : Hoodman H-300 with magnifyer

NGC
12-11-2006, 06:11 AM
For the A1 do you think the H-300 would be beneficial with or without the magnifier?

rawfa
03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I was about to start a thread about this. I'm also wondering if the A1's weird LCD can benefit from the Hoodman H-300. It's built a bit strangely and it's very fragile, so I don't know if can handle extra weight hanging from it. For me it's one of the worst things about the A1. I feel like it may break with a strong wind.

Metrolens
03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Here's the link. I think the one you posted on the other thread is just the magnifier. The hood + magnifier is only $5 more, and I believe it's here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=294332&is=REG (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=294332&is=REG)

I remember someone saying here or on DVInfo that it fits the A1's LCD perfectly, and that it works.

Kevin Dorsey
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I have the 300, it fits the A1 perfectly. It's extremely light and the magnifier makes focusing a lot easier. When you use it you'll be pleasantly surprised by how large the LCD appears. Very nice.

-Kevin

rawfa
03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks, fellas. I just ordered one :D

Jim Duggins
03-27-2007, 01:17 AM
I have the Hoodman Magnifier for my A1 and highly recommend it. Fits perfectly, works perfectly. What's not to love? Especially for only $29.95 at B&H.

Stu Siegal
03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
With the LCD sharpness cranked and peaking on, the lens is great.

rawfa
03-31-2007, 05:24 AM
I just received my Hoodman and I was mad as hell when I realized you have to order the magnifier separately (I thought it was a combo)...all I received was the hood...BUT, I had a 52mm 7+ macro kit set for photo cameras that I managed to adapt to the hood. All I can say is that it's absolutely amazing. I feel like I'm using a 7" HD monitor. I'm actually glad I forgot to order the hoodman magnifier, because it was only 2+. If you're good a building stuff I really recommend you buy a Hoodman hood by it self and try to adapt a 7+ or even a 10+ macro to it. Incredible results!

rawfa
03-31-2007, 05:29 AM
I'll try to post some pictures later. Mine actually looks like crap (I suck at building stuff). I used a round plastic structure that was not too hard and not to soft, then I cut a hole the size of the macro on the middle of the structure (make it a tiny bit smaller than the macro so it will be tight). I also cut 2 very small holes on the plastic structure's extremities and I used a strong rubber band to keep it tight against the hoodman hood. I also used some glue and duct tape to make sure the 7+ macro wouldn't move. Like I said, I'll try to post some pics later.

P.S - I'm sure there's a easier way to do this. Hopefuly now all the DIY guys will jump in and take it from here

Metrolens
03-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Rawfa, the link I provided above should be for the hood + 2x lens. On the B+H website they sell the hood alone for $5 less, so I think you ordered that instead of the combo?

More importantly, can you now comment as to how much it helps focusing, both with and without 35mm adapters? And what kind of 7x magnifyer are you using?

rawfa
03-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Metrolens, the hoodman with 7+ macro helps infinitively. My biggest complain about the A1 has always been the LCD. I was used to the FX1's fantastic LCD and when I first used the A1 and I was like "Wow, they gotta be kidding!". Not only is the lcd very very small, but it feels very fragile. Lately I was shooting a 10 episode TV show for kids about museums in Barcelona and I was having a really hard time focusing (specially with intense direct sun light). I also made some tests with the letus35A and it was a madman's task trying to pull focus with the A1's lcd (something I could do with no trouble with the FX1). Now, with the hoodman and the 7+ macro it's just perfect. You can easily pull focus AND protect the LCD from direct sun light. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Metrolens
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Great - glad we resuscitated this idea!

Rawfa are the 7x filters of which you speak similar to these:
http://www.adorama.com/MC52CUS.html?searchinfo=macro%2052mm&item_no=2

I'm looking forward to those pix.

rawfa
03-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Ok, I know it looks like something I found in the garbage, but believe me it works very well. It is very very light and the rubber is much stronger than it looks. It's too bad you can't see on the picture how good the image quality is when you see it on the macro. Just for the record, the rubber band goes is tied tight through a hole on the plastic structure and then I put some duct tape over it just to protect the rubber. Hehehe I really hope someone can come up with a nicer looking system.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/8309/1175375502.jpg

Drew Ott
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Looks sketchy but if it works then you have a great improvement.

Metrolens
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the pix Rawfa. Who cares about the look. Whatever works, I say. And I bet you could make version 2 a lot cleaner if you wanted to.

Can you comfortably see the full frame, or do you have to get very close to the 52mm in order to do that? Is operating easy and comfy with this setup?

rawfa
04-01-2007, 12:09 AM
I can comfortably see the full frame and I feel super safe with this setup. Believe me, it may look crappy but it's very solid and the improvement is simply amazing. And I'm sure that if I (a person who is less capable of building stuff than a 2 year old) can build something like this, a skilled DIY guys can make this look like it's originally part of the combo (I actually don't understand why Hoodman's original has only a 2+ macro).

Their design is very easy and it simply mimics a stamp magnifier (http://www.bausch.com/en_US/images/product_full_img/visioncare/magnifiers/813449_lg.jpg), which now that I think of it could be adapter to the hoodman's hood with less dificulty than the macro set. Of course, I don't really know if there's a 7+ or 10+ stamp magnifier, or if it'll be big enough to fill the needed image surface. And if there was, you had to make sure it's very light, so it won't put any stress at all on the A1's fragile LCD (my "design" is super light).

Anyway, I did my part, now take from here DIY guys.

BARYE
04-01-2007, 01:18 AM
interesting solution rawfa, I'll give it a try when I've a chance.

This problem all comes back to how Canon came to provide this HiDef camera with such awful manual focus tools

The LCD is not nearly sharp enough, the peaking is not colorable, the focus assist is only 2x, and worst of all that focus assist can only be used when the camera is NOT recording -- when its hardly neaded ...

As good as the autofocus is (and its pretty good) I'm compelled to use it when I very much don't want to because I can't trust focusing with my unassisted, naked eyes.