PDA

View Full Version : Got My A1!

rawfa
12-05-2006, 04:33 AM
I just got my A1! I was still on my pajamas and robe when the post office guy showed up. I almost hugged him when I saw that box on his hands. I rushed to the living room and started opening the box. My immediate impression was that it feels lighter and smaller than the FX1 (the LCD is a miniature when compared to the FX1's). But when I started browsing through all the options I just new this was a REAL camera and that it would take same time to master all it's little details. There's just SO MANY options. I'm feeling like a kid on a toy store. I can barely type. I really hope that custom presets start being posted around the net soon (I'm sure they will). Anyway, I'm going to go back to playing with my new toy :D

This camera freaking rocks!!!! :thumbup:

P.S - A special thread for custom presets should be created!!!!

delaro
12-05-2006, 05:16 AM
is it a pal model?

rawfa
12-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Yep. I'm charging the battery right now. Once I have it ready I'm taking in out for a spin. 3194€ is the cheapest there is in Spain...so far.

delaro
12-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Yep. I'm charging the battery right now. Once I have it ready I'm taking in out for a spin. 3194 is the cheapest there is in Spain...so far.

in france it's 3400. it seems that canon takes care of european customers much more than panasonic. they are just adding the vat to the US price.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Actually most stores here sell it for around 3600€. This store was the only one that was selling for this price. I was kind of scared it would be some sort of catch. But all my troubles seem so far away ;-)

Noel Evans
12-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Cool rawfa. Now get out there and use it! I propose this. Start a thread with scne files and keep it going. Id suggest an image with the scene file details so it can be used as a quick reference. Now I am happy to plug the Scene files into my cam and save them to SD card, put up a webpage with links to actual scene file that could be copied straight to your SD card.

Someone needs to get the ball rolling and Ill comply. MODS this is would be an ongoing easy useful link - STICKY? Can you start one up with no posting rules apart from image and scene file details perhaps. It really would be a useful asset. Especially to newcomers to the forum and the camera.

Jay Rodriguez
12-05-2006, 06:31 AM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the camera! When are you getting your 35mm adapter?

rawfa
12-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I just spent about 2 hours shooting outside with the A1 and even though I have not seen the footage yet and there's still lots to learn I can honestly say that I'm in love with this camera. If I HAD to marry an object I would marry the A1. The DOF, the texture, the latitude are mind blowing. I love this camera!
The letus35A should arrive this week. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the A1 too. I'm going to try to put some quick shots together so that I can post it today.

Yas Kassana
12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
I've just taken the plunge and bought one as well. Will keep y'all posted.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I swear to God, you won't regret it, Kass. This camera is amazing! I just finished editing some quick shots. I'm going to export it now and I'll post it in a while.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm exporting a quicktime as I type. Which is the best place to upload files? I know some...but they are kind of crappy.

Get ready for some 25F, guys!

Jay Rodriguez
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
can't wait to see it.... search the forum, there's a few places that will host for free.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok, I tried sorenson 3 and got a 400mb file at 720X576. The video is about 3 minutes long. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to convert it to divx and see what happens.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I managed to convert the file to divx and got it down to 30mb. I'm trying to upload it to savefile.com but the site is very very slow right now.

Jay Rodriguez
12-05-2006, 09:49 AM
cool... wow, sorenson 3 came out as a 400mb file? lol

rawfa
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Alrighty, fellas. Here we go. The footage was all shot hand held (there's some shaky shots out there) using 25F. I can't remember the settings I used. I was so excited that I didn't really write anything down. I was changing the settings as I shot. I know that I messed around with Knee, Gamma, Black Stretch and all the other stuff. The shutter was usualy at 50. Most times I had a ND filter on.

I'm REALLY happy with the camera, but I still have to play with a lot to get the full extent of it's capacity.

http://rapidshare.com/files/6197632/Sagrada_Familia_A1.divx.html

TimurCivan
12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
what is its filter thread size? 62mm? 72mm?

rawfa
12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
It's 72mm.

rawfa
12-05-2006, 10:27 AM
moved to another thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=788683#post788683

Ferdi Willemse
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
As of 13:00 today, I'm also a proud owner of the XH A1 (PAL). Can't wait to experiment with it, but I probably don't have any time for that today :(

Thanks a lot for the help, everyone!

Elton
12-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Congrats Ferdi!

Wow, the A1 crowd seems to be growing extremely fast.

rawfa, you have some nice colors but turn that image stabilizer off when you're on sticks. It looks like you were fighting the stabilizer a little or your tripod tension was a little too tight. Also, what cathedral is that? Amazing to look at.

Thanks for sharing!

rawfa
12-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes, it was my first day with it. I feel like I have SO MUCH more than what I had with the FX1. The FX1 had only some very basic controls. Now the A1...woooff...don't even get me started. I'm in love with this camera. When you're outdoors it feels like everything you point the A1 at looks awesome...now I have to learn how to achieve this "awesomeness" with artificial light.

The Cathedral is the "Sagrada Familia", one of most notorious pieces of architecture ever. It was designed by a very famous spanish artist called Gaudi. His work is amazing, It's worth looking it up on the internet...actualy, it's worth it to visit Barcelona and check it out personally :D

manglerBMX
12-08-2006, 11:22 AM
i have an A1 question, is the shotgun mic mount removable?

Ferdi Willemse
12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
There are two screws on which I think you can unscrew and detach the mic, I'm not too sure though.