PDA

View Full Version : Daytime Footage

spencercl
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I've been considering using my A1 for filmmaking instead of the weddings I normally shoot, so I took it out for the weekend to see how it handled in various situations. Don't like the feel of the focus ring too much, but I'm sure I can get used to it (I'll sure miss the ability to rack as with the DVX, though) Here are the results:

http://www.iriscinema.com/katya.mov

Kholi
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey nice footage!! Are you documenting pregnancy or something?

I think that the image is very clean, and there are parts that show great color saturation. Question is though: what was your shutter speed? A little blurring and smearing and I'm wondering if that's the NR settings or just the shutter speed chosen. Because the image is pretty freaking CLEAN!

spencercl
12-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks! Yeah, documenting my wife's pregnancy. For the shots in the room, I was at 1/24th, and there is some blurring. Also, for the first shots outside, they were at 1/24, as well, since I forgot to adjust it. For the rest of the day, it was 1/48. The saturation is largely done in post - the camera on it's own is fairly low in saturation. NR was off.

Kholi
12-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay that make's sense. Seems that the Shutter-Speed was the culprit. Man, that's some clean footage. Even blown up to fit a 30" apple HD screen.

Sigh. Thanks for sharing.!

Mike Krumlauf
12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey,

It looks great! Just wondering if you could explain to me the difference between 24p and 24f.

spencercl
12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Well, there are a lot of people more knowledgeable than I am, but 24f is essentially a way to capture 24 fps with an interlace CCD. I put up a sample at:

http://www.iriscinema.com/cabs.mov

It emphasizes motion more than the daytime piece. I've seen some people argue about how the A1 handles the motion and framerate, but I'd say to just trust what you see and whether you like the way the camera handles the scene. Personally, I found it quite satisfactory. I haven't detected a difference in motion rendering, at least not something that I can definitively pinpoint as a result of 24f capture, but that's just me.

Steve Strickland
12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Man, for someone like me who is on the fence between the A1 and the HVX, this footage is making it pretty damn hard!:)

Great shots and editing. Thanks for posting these.

I would never imagined that a sub $4000 cam could hold its own like this. I love my DVX, but my Panny loyalty is wavering. I feel like I'm getting ready to two-time my girl.

prodigywookie
12-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Man, for someone like me who is on the fence between the A1 and the HVX, this footage is making it pretty damn hard!:)

Great shots and editing. Thanks for posting these.

I would never imagined that a sub $4000 cam could hold its own like this. I love my DVX, but my Panny loyalty is wavering. I feel like I'm getting ready to two-time my girl.

XH A1 for the win!

Kevin Dorsey
12-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Looks great Spencer. I've been a fan of your wedding work for a while. For those who don't know, Iris Cinema does some fantastic wedding videos. I was wondering what your impressions were of the footage when viewed on an HD television?

-Kevin

ecking
12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
That looked friggin' great spenercl, even the song was catchy and I usually don't listen to stuff like that. What song is that? And wow that's clean and sharp in the begining I can into the pours on her nose!

Noel Evans
12-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Nice shots spencer, using some glass on the front there? Saw a lense reflection in a shot with the sun coming directly on to the lense. I had similar occur with a polariser.

spencercl
12-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Thanks for kind words, all!

Kevin - Glad to hear that someone knows my work! I outputted the piece into my camera yesterday so I could play it on my television in HD, and my jaw dropped. I've been running around telling everyone I know since I saw it. It looks incredible. Everything is razor sharp - the colors feel like they're going to burst. I actually was hesitant to buy the A1, since I didn't officially need it for anything in particular, but I am so glad I did.

ecking - The song was In a Long Time by 46blis.

Yep - got the reflection with the shot in the sun - good observation, ncje.

DammitJanet
12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

That looks AMAZING! Dude, you're onto something here. I love the shots with the leaves and the sun the best, but everything is stunning. I'd love to hear some of your settings for those leaf/sun shots. Also, did you shoot the slow-mo stuff in 60i or 24f?

Keep up the great work and congrats on the baby. You have a beautiful wife.

:-)

Kholi
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Had to watch this again.

Very clean, and very cinematic. It reminds me slightly of Disjecta's Soccer game coverage footage.

spencercl
12-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks again Kholi! DammitJanet (that's a very interesting user name, btw) - the slow mo was just done in FCP. The footage was all shot at 24f. Thanks for the kind words - my wife was tickled. The camera settings are as follows:

GAM: N
KNE: M
BLK: M
RED: 0
SET: 0
SHP: 0
HDF: M
DHV: 0
COR: 0
NR1: 0
NR2: 0
CMX: 1
CGN: 10
RGN: 0
GGN: -1
BGN: 0
RGM: 0
RBM: 0
GRM: 0
BRM: 0
BGM: 0

Elton
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Spencer, that was very nice looking. Funny how neutral your settings were and the final output is beautiful.

I would suggest trying Cinegamma 2/CMX 2 and low knee (smoother highlight rolloff). Also, up the color gain to +15 or even +20. Drop the sharpness a tad too to -3 too.

Just my personal tastes, but obviously you know what you're doing in post so I guess it's all good anyway.

Keep up the good work!

spencercl
12-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Many thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try it out.

Elton
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Cool. Don't be afraid to push the saturation on the A1. It can always be taken down in post.

Jay Rodriguez
12-07-2006, 10:19 PM
wtf was that? that looked so good!

thanks for posting it... just makes me love my A1 even more.

xray
12-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Looking nice, even for a try, is it an Christmas baby? ;=)

DammitJanet
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Any idea on how I can take Spencer's above settings and turn them into a preset for use with my SD card?