PDA

View Full Version : Adding 24f 30f 60i to a PAL A1?

Cinetastic
12-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Although the US$3,999 price point is appealing, I am based in the UK and wanted to get a real Canon warranty on the camera which would cost UKú2,300 if bought here. If I did get a USA A1 camera and imported it and paid UPS shipping and taxes/import charges there would not be too much difference in price - I am only worried about what would happen if something went wrong and if Canon did not honour an international purchase for the warranty. Has anyone any knowledge/experience of this?

The reason I am so interested is that I want to shoot 24f primarily, and that is obviously not out of the box here in PAL land. Has anyone any idea if Canon UK will do the 24f upgrade or tried this anywhere else in PAL lands? Canon UK fudged an email reply to me last week, and their Service contact number refused to answer as well. Details of the 24f upgrade are offerred online at Canon Australia, for example, so the PAL camera is ready to do this kind of thing.

And if I did purchase an A1 in Japan when travelling there in a couple of months time, presumably the Canon can be later easily upgraded to add 25f 50i should I want them - but again would Canon UK do this when the camera was brought into the UK? How much does this upgrade cost?

Once last question - how much does the A1 sell for in Japan at a reputable dealer like Bic Camera (chosen because I have the loyalty card and will get loads of points!). Anyone on the ground in Japan able to post a price for my comparison please?

Thanks in advance!

Noel Evans
12-03-2006, 06:35 AM
And if I did purchase an A1 in Japan when travelling there in a couple of months time, presumably the Canon can be later easily upgraded to add 25f 50i should I want them - but again would Canon UK do this when the camera was brought into the UK? How much does this upgrade cost?

Once last question - how much does the A1 sell for in Japan at a reputable dealer like Bic Camera (chosen because I have the loyalty card and will get loads of points!). Anyone on the ground in Japan able to post a price for my comparison please?

Thanks in advance!

Can help you out a little here. Canon UK would have to include the same upgrade for cross platform I would assume.

BIC dont usually stock anything above consumer.

I can recommend a good dealer you can purchase from www.fujiya-avic.com. Your looking at a little less (although close to) US RRP anywhere here.

redfuse
12-03-2006, 06:48 AM
May I ask Why you want 24f?

Cinetastic
12-03-2006, 07:47 AM
BIC dont usually stock anything above consumer.
I can recommend a good dealer you can purchase from www.fujiya-avic.com. Your looking at a little less (although close to) US RRP anywhere here.
Sorry, you were absolutely spot on about the pricing, and I was being lazy and don't read Japanese well enough, but I found the A1 and G1 on the Bic Camera website (http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/app/w?SCREEN_ID=bw011100&fnc=f&ActionType=bw011100_01&PRODUCT_ID=0010147518&BUY_PRODUCT=0010147518,525000)! A1 sells for 525,000円 which is pretty much the same as UK price - but I would still have to pay import taxes (and then the 25f 50i upgrade, when required). Still, I could use those store points to pick up an extra battery or some such...Tempting me!

May I ask Why you want 24f?
Well, 24p seems to be recognised by modern digital projectors and domestic video projectors, and also I don't like the 4% slowdown of 25p when output to film (if I should get the chance!).