PDA

View Full Version : A1/H1 to Betacam Workflow

tomadonna
12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking of getting this camera and was concerned regarding the 24F, and how different would the process to Betacam/DigiBeta be.

I know that with DV, I would output the movie to miniDV and have that transfered to BetaSP/DigiBeta via third-party lab. But since the 24F HDV file won't play in most DV decks, how would the process be different?

Elton
12-01-2006, 06:31 PM
If you want to transfer HDV 24F footage to Betacam, probably the easisest method is to use the camera's downconversion and output with or without letterbox via S Video.

If you need to transcode to different SD codecs, MPEG Streamclip does a spectacular job.

tomadonna
12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
If you want to transfer HDV 24F footage to Betacam, probably the easisest method is to use the camera's downconversion and output with or without letterbox via S Video.

You mean do it in-camera, after I'm finished the editing and have captured back to tape?

Elton
12-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Yes, this would work particularly well with FCP 24F HDV editing. Just output HDV edits back to tape and then downconvert from the camera to an betacam deck.

tomadonna
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Elton,
Is there a way to do it other then to output back to tape and downconvert? Because it means I have to take the camera with me to whoever has the BetaSP deck...

Elton
12-01-2006, 08:18 PM
yes, downcovert via software or an hd card like the Kona or Blackmagic.

tomadonna
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
yes, downcovert via software or an hd card like the Kona or Blackmagic.

And let's say I need to bring some sort of file to a third-party lab, to convert to Beta SP, would these cards let me do that?

Elton
12-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes, easily. Bring a file compatible with whatever format works best with your chosen facility. If they have a G5/FCP/Kona or Blackmagic it should bump out to Betacam in very good quality.

My Kona LH will downconvert an HDV timeline to SD in realtime without issue. It looks noticeably better than a DV/Firewire downconvert too.

tomadonna
12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks a lot!