PDA

View Full Version : My Canon A1 is ...........

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 07:21 AM
According to UPS: 11/21/2006 8:15 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Yeah baby, it'll be at my house in a couple of hours!

:thumbup:

Kholi
11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Nice!!!

Barry_Green
11-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Jay, please tell us the details of your invoice -- did you have to buy ANYTHING additional? Warranties or anything? Or did you legitimately just give them $3500+shipping and that's it?

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Good question... I paid #3,499 for the camera, something like $110 for a 10 hour battery as the one in the box is only an hour or two and like 30 or 40 bucks for shipping... also NO tax... :)

That was all..

I also grilled the guy about it being a legit camera and not a grey market item. He was very open to answering my questions and reassured me a few times that they were an authorized outfit of Canon.

As for the warranty, it comes with the standard 1 year Canon warranty and they also offered an extended 2 and 4 year plan.

Barry_Green
11-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Okay, so the point is -- you didn't shell out for a warranty, or anything else, right? The total bill is $3650?

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
that's correct, the total came exactly to $3,657

no extra cash for warranty or anything (besides an extra battery and shipping)

smithy
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Just a note...I purchased a big battery also for my A1..one flaw.once it goes into the camera it is very hard to take it out since it is in a slot with very little room to grab it from the side to slide it out. I just solved it by getting one of those cheap plastic kitchen hooks that has a sticky bottom and attached it to the battery. I then just shoot with the camera door open and being carefull no the break the door off.

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
ok thanks for the tip.

we'll have to figure out a better solution for it.

Kholi
11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Still a great price. WOOO I'm excited for you! Hurry up and get it!~

Noel Evans
11-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Just a note...I purchased a big battery also for my A1..one flaw.once it goes into the camera it is very hard to take it out since it is in a slot with very little room to grab it from the side to slide it out. I just solved it by getting one of those cheap plastic kitchen hooks that has a sticky bottom and attached it to the battery. I then just shoot with the camera door open and being carefull no the break the door off.

Ive seen this reported a few times. The large Battery I have is the Canon 970G and I am not having his issue.

Noel Evans
11-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Barry if these turn out as Grays can we have a sticky on this topic, shame to think people buy in confidence and end up without any form of warranty. I for one am keen to see they price stay legitimate.

Its been mentioned before that the A1 box comes out unsealed. Thus I guess pretty easy to slip in a dodgy US warranty card. I sure hope this isnt the practice, but the stories I have read about the Brooklyn stores are sometimes much worse.

P.S. Barry once again thanks for supporting the growing A1/G1 community.

Noel Evans
11-21-2006, 02:36 PM
For reference my Legit Japan version serial looks like this 571302000200 then next to it is 06 Year (in japanese)

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 02:49 PM
on phone with canon right now

Barry_Green
11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Barry if these turn out as Grays can we have a sticky on this topic, shame to think people buy in confidence and end up without any form of warranty. I for one am keen to see they price stay legitimate.
We'll definitely spread the word. I don't see how it will turn out to be gray though since they're an authorized dealer, but it would be very nice if someone could figure out how to tell the US models apart from other territories...

P.S. Barry once again thanks for supporting the growing A1/G1 community.
We're glad to have filmmakers of all persuasions here. It's DVXUser, but we all know the DVX isn't going to reign forever, and we're not going to be exclusively DVX... and now that other companies are producing attractive products, we're going to try to all happily co-exist this time... :thumbsup:

Keegs
11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
The aftermarket (non canon) large case batteries WILL stick in the slot FYI. my You "MAY" be able to shave some of it off so it slides out easier, but I am not suggesting anything.

Kholi
11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
We'll definitely spread the word. I don't see how it will turn out to be gray though since they're an authorized dealer, but it would be very nice if someone could figure out how to tell the US models apart from other territories...

We're glad to have filmmakers of all persuasions here. It's DVXUser, but we all know the DVX isn't going to reign forever, and we're not going to be exclusively DVX... and now that other companies are producing attractive products, we're going to try to all happily co-exist this time... :thumbsup:

Hell YES.

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok, it's official.... THEY'RE LEGIT!

I was on the phone with a Canon rep and he confirmed evrything and registered the camera for me as well..... This is really cool....

Kholi
11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
WOOT!!! Good going, Jay/Coffee!!!

Way to go for it, y0. And it paid off. You son of a -- happy A1 Owner. Go get some footage and bring it back, please.

db20
11-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Thats great news Coffee im really happy to hear that. Hey Coffee are all the accesories there:

• Compact Power Adapter
• DC Coupler
• Battery Pack
• Shoulder Strap
• WL-D5000 Wireless Controller
• Adapter Holder
• Component Video Cable
• Stereo Video Cable
• 1-Year Parts and Labor Warranty

I'm happy you didn't get stuck with a gray market camera

Jay Rodriguez
11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
yeah everything is there... I checked it against the "What's in the box" page on Canon's site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=BoxContentsAct&fcategoryid=175&modelid=14061

Thanks Kholi! I'm stoaked about having it and will start shooting test/practice shots in a few days. I'm in the middle of editing a commercial on a tight deadline and the holidays are here as well..

Kevin Dorsey
11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Good stuff Coffee, glad everything worked out. And the price is right.

For those with sticking battery issues, this seems to be a problem with the larger aftermarket batteries, not the canon batteries. Some people have had luck using some tape or a suction cup to pull the battery out.

I want one.
-Kevin

whachusay
11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
This is great news Coffee. Looking forward to seeing some demos from ya :)

Mike Krumlauf
12-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey,

I don't know if i missed it but were did you purchase your camera from?

Jay Rodriguez
12-03-2006, 02:51 PM
1stopcamera.com

Mike Krumlauf
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey,

I Just checked the website and well, i can't seem to find the XH A1 :(. I found the XL2 and GL2 but no XH A1.....:huh:

Jay Rodriguez
12-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I know, it's not listed on their site. Strange.

If you call directly then you can order it from them which is what I did.

Amr Toukhy
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Guys,
Regarding the "Wireless controller: WL-D5000", was wondering if it can handle both zoom and focus !!
And does it have a screen to show numbers of each....
Thanks,
Amr

Invisibility
07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Contrary to Jay's post indicating 1StopCamera sells legit gear with legits tactics, Epinions shows 5 of 5 reviews warn consumers of bait and switch tactics.

Read these personal accounts before handing your credit card over to these folks...
http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-1_Stop_Camera/display_~reviews (http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-1_Stop_Camera/display_%7Ereviews)

You'll also find some scary reviews asserting thievery at the resellers site recommended by dvxuser.com at
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/1_Stop_Camera

It's true that they are listed as a retailer on the Canon store locator at: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ListAllDealersAct&zip_code=11201&recordCounter=110

The reviews are just too scary.

Jay, do you think your purchase went smooth because of your Itchy House Films location in New Jersey, same as 1 Stop Camera & Video?
Maybe they only scam folks that live too far away to come into the store and make things difficult for them?

Huy Vu
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
At this point 1 stop camera isn't worth considering because their price is the same as everyone else. The $3500 price was a great deal when the camera debuted at 4k, but now that's the price that all major dealers charge, plus a rebate.

Oynk
07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I bought one this week from Onecall. After rebate it was 3150 (got an extra 100 off). Showed up the next day without a hitch.

deedive
07-13-2007, 08:24 AM
how did u get the extra off. it says 3500 on the site?

DChang
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Newegg also has the $100 off plus $250 rebate, and it says it on their site.