PDA

View Full Version : A1 G1 H1

Jay Rodriguez
11-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Ok, I'm such a noob and idiot with this HD stuff but I need to understand it better as I love it. Whats the difference between these 3 cameras? I understand that the price goes up about 2 - 3k on each one but why?

Is it even worth buying the A1, should a buyer just save a few more bucks and go with the G1?

Which one of these three cameras compair to the HVX?

I'm going to do my due diligence but figured I'd start here at home (dvxuser)......

Jay

Jay Rodriguez
11-20-2006, 07:17 AM
The only difference I see between the A1 and G1 is that the G1 has an HD-SDI "Jackpack" (Time Code, Gen Lock)... What the hell is that?

UPDATE found on google:

Finally giving independent videographers something to choose from besides its popular but long-in-the-tooth GL2, Canon announced two HDV models designed to appeal to the prosumer and entry-level pro markets. Derived from the same technology that the pro-level XL H1 uses, the XH A1 and XH G1 HDV models share the same design but differ in a few critical input/output capabilities necessary for professionals.

Both models use three wide-aspect 1/3-inch CCDs with a native 1080i (1,440x1,080) resolution; like the XL H1, they can record in 30F or 24F frame rates (Canon's nomenclature for 30fps and 24fps), but not in 720p. In fact, their feature sets share many of the capabilities of the XL H1, including the Digic DV II processor, Super-Range Optical Image Stabilization, and customization architecture. The XH series have fixed 20X zoom lenses rather than the interchangeable lenses on the XL but offer more of a wide-angle view: 32.5mm in 35mm-equivalent terms.

The XH G1's added attraction for pros is the equivalent of the XL H1's Jack Pack: HD-SDI output with embedded audio and time code, Genlock synchronization, and Timecode In/Out.

The XH A1 is slated to ship in October for $3,999 and the XH G1 in November for $6,999.

Jay Rodriguez
11-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Canon Professional Jackpack
Like the Canon XL H1 camcorder - the XH G1 HD camcorder includes Canon's Professional Jackpack Terminals, which are a trio of connections that provide professionals with outstanding quality and versatility: HD-SDI/SD-SDI Output, SMPTE Timecode Input/Output, and Genlock Input. The HD-SDI connection outputs an uncompressed 1.485 Gbps digital signal with embedded audio and LTC Timecode (SMPTE 299M), reducing the number of cables and improving the camera operator's mobility, or integrating seamlessly into broadcast studios. Professionals can also use the HD-SDI output for playback or easy capture and transfer. The signal can also be set to SD-SDI, during shooting or playback (SMPTE 272M). Users can easily facilitate multi-camera shoots with the XH G1 model due to the camcorder's Genlock synchronization input. This feature permits trouble free switching of XH G1 camcorders in a multi-camera situation. With its SMPTE time code input/output terminal

So does this mean that the G1 allows you to record directly to a hard drive or something?

Elton
11-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, it allows you to capture a higher quality signal with audio and timecode, compared to HDV.

I've captured SDI from the XL-H1 in true 4:2:2 color and it's very nice, but it's not all that practical currently to attempt to capture anywhere but in a studio hooked up to a computer.

The HDV is amazingingly close in visual quality, but the SDI does allow for added cc latitude and easier keying.

Jay Rodriguez
11-20-2006, 08:17 AM
ok i thinki got a handle on it.

I'm considering buying this camera this week..... nervous though...... lol

Drew Ott
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Is there a function on the A1 where you can hook the camera up to an HD TV and watch the footage from the TV?

I'm sure there is, but my dad told me that is what HDMI does. Isn't HDMI G1-only?

Curtis_Rhoads
11-20-2006, 06:11 PM
coffee, I own the XL H1 and have been extremely happy with it. I got a chance to play around with an A1 the other day, and if I didn't already have the H1, I would definately be picking up an A1. In fact, I have thought about selling my H1 to buy an A1 and some additional equipment. If HD-SDI output isn't needed, then the A1 is damn fine camera.

bball, there is no HDMI on any of the Canon camera's as far as I know. So unless Canon changed something at the last minute on the G1, then there is no HDMI on these units. The G1 does have the "Professional Jack Pack", which is the HD-SDI outputs. I'm not sure about the A1, but I know that my H1 came with a connector cable to hook the H1 up to an HDTV via component cables.

Drew Ott
11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
OK that's good to hear. I thought that HDMI was the cable that hooked the camera up to TVs.

ernesto
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
You can also use the component cables that come with the camera. The red, green and blue ones.

Elton
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
It's possible to capture the uncompressed analog signal (non tape-playback) from the A1, but it's video signal only. No timecode and no audio--you have to capture these by separate connectors.

The G1's embedded SDI is a huge convenience by comparison, but until we see a laptop SDI card with high quality 4:2:2 compression (cough, CineForm,cough cough), this capability will remain an untapped feature for most.

It's quite viable in a studio/greenscreen scenario though.