PDA

View Full Version : Editing A1 and HVX footage together - Can it be done?

Shane Warren
11-20-2006, 12:25 AM
HI,

FIrstly thanks for all the good stuff re the A1.. Exceptional cam, great price point and really nice results.

I am looking at buying one.. One sticking point tho..... I have a friend in the HVX space. If we do a shoot with both an A1 and a HVX, how difficult would it be to edit the footage together?

I am really needing to guage a) is it possible or b) is the difficulty and effort prohibitive?

I know a little about both cams, but unfortunately not enough to make an informed decision. Hoping you can assist.

Ta.

Christopher Barry
11-20-2006, 12:32 AM
If PC/Vegas or Premiere, CineForm (http://www.cineform.com/) might be a good codec. Try the trial with some sample footage of both A1 and HVX. ConnectHD or AspectHD most relevant, or ProspectHD for higher end.

Noel Evans
11-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Seriously Shane of your friend has a HVX and you want to use both cams on the same shoot and mix footage then I would suggest another HVX. If he already had A1 then Id say A1 for same reason, its just going to be a lot less of a task to mix footage. But they could be mixed, I would suggest ingesting the raw A1 footage and then output it to DVCpro so then just work with both on same time line

Elton
11-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Yes, convert the A1 footage to DVCPRO HD and cc to match as close as possible.

Use MPEG Streamclip if you need to convert 24F to DVCPRO HD 720p. It's very good at downscaling with high quality.

ChuckS
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
As far as having the ability to edit footage from both camer's on the same timeline it's not difficult at all.

I use AspectHD with PPro2 and routinely edit footage from a JVC HD100U and an FX1. There is absolutely no difference. That's the point of editing with a Digital Intermediate in the first place.

Although I have not used the HVX myself, AspectHD4 does support it and I have not heard many complaints about how well it works. I'd recommend checking out Cineorms support site.

Shane Warren
11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys - great feedback and you have given me some options to investigate.

Jake Segraves
11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Connect HD and Aspect HD will give you the ability to capture the A1 footage and convert your HVX footage while upscaling them to similar framesizes. Beyond that the use of CineForm AVI files provides a higher quality editing workflow than the use of DVC Pro HD (see quality analysis -->http://www.cineform.com/technology/HDQualityAnalysis10bit/HDQualityAnalysis10bit.htm).
You can download a 15-day trial from www.cineform.com.