PDA

View Full Version : settings on A1 for bright light/outdoors?

DCCowan
11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I've seen some amazing footage on the A1 in low light settings from several of the examples posted on here. But what of direct sun, bright light conditions? Any suggestions?

rawfa
11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Any suggestions? Stay home :D Just kidding. Browse around here an at dvinfo and you'll find some really nice organic footage. Outdoors the A1 really shines with beautiful vibrant colors and and texture. I think it's yet to be born the person who will not be pleased with this camera.

Elton
11-18-2006, 11:18 AM
It all depends on the look you're trying to achieve in bright conditions. You can use different filters to deal with really bright conditions, but in general you'll need to have 1/32 ND on, and often stopped down quite a bit which gives you deep DOF. If you want to create a shallow DOF you'll need an extra strong ND filter in front of the lens to allow shooting with the aperture wide open.

In general I like to shoot daylight exteriors with Cinegamma2, Knee low, Color gain +2, and Black middle.

Norbert
11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Again, has someone measured the dynamic range on this thing? All video cameras will blow out highlights in direct bright light but some do it less than others. Other than that, all video cameras will perform their best when there is much light. I'm sure the XH A1 is no exception.

rawfa: The only bad things I can find on this camera are the tape workflow and the mpeg2 codec. ;) But then again, I'm probably years ahead of development when I have those kind of thoughts. :P

rawfa
11-19-2006, 12:29 AM
rawfa: The only bad things I can find on this camera are the tape workflow and the mpeg2 codec. ;) But then again, I'm probably years ahead of development when I have those kind of thoughts. :P

You're absolutely right about that. But I have to keep my feet on he ground and be reasonable, otherwise I'll start asking for a Red for the same money he A1 costs.

Norbert
11-19-2006, 07:43 AM
I am way too greedy.

DCCowan
11-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Guys, I cannot WAIT to get some footage uploaded! We had a very successful day...

BTW: This is for a music video. lol

Tomorrow? Sedona, AZ...

Thanks for the settings... they rocked.