PDA

View Full Version : Cropping

Chris Messineo
11-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Is there a way to crop an image in photoshop without being destructive?

Chris

Matt Grunau
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
I dont understand what you mean Chris.

The only thing I can think of you may mean is to have an area defined in Phosothop of a picture for use in programs like Quark or Pagemaker where the entire file is still in tact, but your publishing program will only use a section of it, something you define.

And that would be yes you can, and they are called Clipping Paths. Otherwise, you need to create an Alpha channel of the area you wish to isolate.

If I am wrong in my interpretation, please correct me.

Chris Messineo
11-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I'll try to explain better.

Lets say I have a photo and for some reason I want to crop a portion of it and save it. Currently, I will crop it and save it, but when I do that it loses the original photo size.

I was wondering if there was a non-destructive method (like layers) that lets you specify an area of your image that you can sort of turn on and off.

Does that make sense? Is that what clipping paths are (and if so, are they hard to use)?

Thanks,

Chris

Matt Grunau
11-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Makes pefect sense. A Clipping Path would do just that, though that is mostly for print purposes.

Otherwise, just crop what you need and save to a new file.

And no, Clipping paths are not hard. A simple google search or the Help section of PS will get you on your way.

Chris Messineo
11-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks a lot, I will play around with the Clipping Paths.

Chris

Matt Grunau
11-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Chris, I just thought of something:

Are you wanting to "crop" an image inside of a Photoshop file and use it on its own Layer? Maybe you have a photo of say, a house, and you wanted to composit it into another picture, like in a picture frame, poster on the wall, or even as a primary element. If you were wanting to remove the excess parts and trim it to fit while utilizing it inside the Photoshop document on its own layer, then you were right about using Layer Masks. With either the rectangular selection tool or polygonal lasso, you would select the portions you want, and while that selection is still active, if you click on the Layer Mask button, it will create a layer mask to the selection. If you added a feather to that selection prior to creating a layer mask, it will apply the feathered edge to the layer mask as well. There was something similar in the glamorshop tutorial to just that.

Tom Marshall
11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey Chris,

You can choose to either hide or delete the cropped areas.

First, you need to display the options bar (Choose Window > Options or double click the crop tool icon). Now select your crop tool and then select the area to crop. Once you have the area selected, on the options bar, there is a 'delete' or 'hide' option.

To get the cropped areas back, either make your canvas larger to choose Image > Reveal All.

If you have a locked background layer, you'll want to unlock it before you crop this way.

I hope that's what you're asking...