PDA

View Full Version : Sony HDV to comete w/ XH-G1?

robotriderdh
11-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I was talking with a B&H rep today, and he told me that sony is coming out with a new cam, the Sony V-1, that shoots HDV and is, in this man's opinion, going to be replacing the new A1's and G1's. He said it is to have gen lock (is there a difference? this always confused me) and timecode sync through firewire. I could be wrong.. this is what he said.

robotriderdh
11-12-2006, 04:32 PM
oh, 1080p, 24p also.

More Info (http://www.netribution.co.uk/2/content/view/960/2/)

mikkowilson
11-12-2006, 04:45 PM
The V1 (& FX7) was announced at IBC back in September.

We reported the full specs on the camera live from the tradeshow starting on 9/10: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=70634

We even have the World Exclusive first footage from the camera here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=70864

And no. no Genlock or Timecode Sync on the Sony cameras. For those you'll need a HVX200 or DVX100b for Firewire TC sync. Or the new Canons or JVC to get Genlock or proper TC sync.

- Mikko

MovieSwede
11-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Isnt the big problem with the sony that it captures 24P but record it with ordinary pulldown wich makes it impossible to extract 24 real frames after.

King_Dontae
11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
The hv1 does not have 24p, it has 24 scan mode. I have the A-1's in stock, and everyone that has purchased 1 so far has been impressed...especially with its low-light capability. The only downside to it is it doesn't have pb on the cam. Other than that, it's a good cam for the money. The Sony Hv is not a shoulder mount, the lens is attached, and no true 24p. Hmmmmmm.

Barry_Green
11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
The hv1 does not have 24p, it has 24 scan mode.
I don't know quite what you're talking about -- we're talking about the Canon A1/G1 and the Sony V1U, correct? The Sony V1U is the one that *does* have actual 24P, the Canon doesn't.

...especially with its low-light capability
As far as low light capability, the Canon is no better than the HVX and people complain about that cam's low light... The Canon is at least two stops slower than a PD170, so I'd be surprised if anyone was impressed by its low-light capability. A DVX or PD170 look like they can see in the dark when compared against an XHA1/XHG1 or HVX.

The Sony Hv is not a shoulder mount, and no true 24p.
The Sony is not shoulder mount, but neither is the Canon. The Sony has a fixed lens, but so does the Canon. The Sony does have true 24p, the Canon doesn't.

Are you talking about the XLH1 or something?

King_Dontae
11-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Barry,

You're are correct sir. The sony hv does have 24p. I was not aware of that. As far as the low-light statement I made, that has been in comparison to the HZ1u. I don't know if there's going to be much diff in the low-light capabilities of the v1 & z1 or not. That's just the feedback that I've gotten.

Barry_Green
11-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes, the XHA1 is about a stop more sensitive (but more noisy) than the Z1U. And from Adam Wilt's report, the Sony is about a stop and a half *less* sensitive than the Z1U(!) So in comparison between those two, the XHA1 should be substantially superior in sensitivity (but comparative noise performance remains to be seen).

Sean Michael
11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
The V1 apparently has a wide latitude range (perhaps attributable to CMOS technology?).

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hdhdv/depth/cmos_latitude_111106/

V1 also offers HDMI out, and an optional factory-designed hard drive. I look forward to seeing head-to-head comparisons with the Canon A1.

AllAroundFilmLV
12-31-2006, 12:43 AM
isnt "CMOS technology" and oxymoron?

Interpolator
01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
This whole CMOS business is highly confusing. The high end full frame Canon digital photographic cameras use CMOS sensors that are well liked by their proponents when contrasted with the smaller Nikon DX sized CCD's. Now with the XH A1, Canon sticks with the CCD for video but Sony uses CMOS. Who knows wich is the best way to go?

I figure that sensor size and customizeability push towards the XH A1 being a good choice. Of course for picture quality Canon appears to be getting better reports in low lighting conditions with the Sony getting the nod in regular lighting. One has to luv the Sony HDMI out. If Cineform gets there act together with the Intrepid card, one could have a very sweet affordable, workable, alternative to fully uncompressed HD. I sure do wish Cineform would work with Firestore and get a rig that permitted ingest of uncompressed HD into a Cineform codec based hard disc that fits on the camera.