PDA

View Full Version : HDV to HD-SDI -- Any comments on this device?

Emanuel
11-11-2006, 02:09 AM
http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_Products_HDConnectSI.htm

HDV to HD-SDI @A1 or HD-SDI @G1?

Is it the same bet?* Is there a best option?

Any differences or thoughts? :huh:

* I mean in terms of output quality 'cause there is a little difference between $1,000 vs. $3,000 (G1's $7,000 - A1's $4,000) :Drogar-Happy(DBG):

Barry_Green
11-11-2006, 02:46 AM
That's not going to do what you want. What you're asking for is a way to bypass the compression so you get the full uncompressed HD-SDI signal, like the G1 has, right?

What this device does is take the compressed firewire output and convert it to HD-SDI. So any compression, color sub-sampling, and potential motion artifacts will already be in the footage. This device just takes that and converts it to HD-SDI, but the "damage" is already done.

Emanuel
11-11-2006, 03:01 AM
:dankk2: Barry!

Considering their advertisement is saying that "Long GOP" is gone, I thought it could be a way of extracting the signal without the recording damage (that is, besides the 25Mbps compression) in order to get the Cineform RAW option, for example. Not necessarily the uncompressed HD.

Barry_Green
11-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Confusing, yes. But that's not what's happening. What they're saying is that it's a way to be able to edit the footage without dealing with GOP issues; if you transfer via HD-SDI it becomes uncompressed HD. (but it's uncompressed from having been compressed, so again the "damage" is already done).

This might be a viable product for someone who is used to cutting uncompressed HDCAM and has a full uncompressed HD suite with the appropriate fibre-channel RAID drives etc. and is trying to integrate a Z1 or something into their workflow, but I don't think it'd have any applicability for those who are used to working with HDV camcorders. Editing uncompressed HD is an extremely demanding task, and I think the vast majority of HDV users would opt to edit either native HDV or CineForm/AIC etc., rather than build a system that can handle uncompressed HD.

Emanuel
11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I agree Barry. Nevertheless, my doubt is when there isn't HDV recording on camera but the capture device would let the signal to a output (laptop) from the converter. In this case, without the HDV recording. Isn't it possible? Not HDV recording but HD recording @laptop? Cineform, DVCPRO-HD etc whatever codec beyond the 25Mbps?

Barry_Green
11-11-2006, 06:07 PM
No because it takes HDV input. So it'd have to go through the HDV stage at some point. You cannot use this to record uncompressed HD, if that's what you're trying to do. The G1 would still be capable of giving you uncompressed results, the A1 could not use this device to do similar.

But, you could use an analog component->HD-SDI converter to do the same job. Wouldn't be exactly the same as the G1's results but it'd be much closer than trying to use HDV->HD-SDI.

Emanuel
11-11-2006, 11:07 PM
:dankk2: Barry! As far as it seems isn't there* a solution?

The idea wouldn't be go to the uncompressed HD recording but taking all the advantages following the Cineform RAW route with a laptop.

Going with an analog feature via component->HD-SDI converter, it lost the digital advantage. Otherwise, there would be the audio and timecode embedded stream.

EDIT -- * Or coupled from there? Adding something else avoiding the HDV stage?

mikkowilson
11-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Unfortunaly the only HD you get from the Firewire port is HDV, and that carries HDV compression. After that, it will have always been HDV.

The compoent hasn't been compressed - and if digitized properly and quickly (with short good cables & gear) can beat HDV, despite the "Digital advantage" the HDV has.

That's the big bonus of these cameras with HD-SDI outputs. You get an uncompressed signal AND it's moved digitally without generation loss.

- Mikko

Emanuel
11-12-2006, 12:24 PM
:dankk2: Mikko for your contribution and input. :)

I fully agree. I'm still waiting for a G1 HD-SDI solution for laptop recording using the excellence of the David's Cineform RAW. But if it would be possible coming from the $4,000 A1, then it would be gold. Especially, into or equal than the loss-free advantage.

Jarred Land
11-12-2006, 04:29 PM
HD-SDI is also there for broadcast mixers and live event feeding as well... where multiple cameras of different makes all pipe HD-SDI over cables to a common board where they are all mixed on the fly.

mikkowilson
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
And that's the best part of these cameras. Even the ("pricy") XL-H1 running in interlaced SD mode is an incredible deal as a studio camera.

What the G1 offeres (as the ability to plug directly into any broadcast system anywhere and be available as a source with no extra conversion gear) for the price is incredible.

- Mikko

Elton
11-12-2006, 04:52 PM
What the G1 offeres (as the ability to plug directly into any broadcast system anywhere and be available as a source with no extra conversion gear) for the price is incredible.

- Mikko

Great point Mikko. After playing with the A1 for a little while and getting accustomed to its core imaging capabilities...embedded SDI is a pretty compelling feature if you want a convenient option to bypass HDV. (whether for broadcast applications or higher quality acquisition)

The G1 w/SDI is a steal for what it actually offers.

Emanuel
11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
As matter of fact, I believe G1 will be a better deal than the A1. Especially opening the broadcast doors.