PDA

View Full Version : XH A1 and FCP

Noel Evans
11-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I dont want to start a this v that. But I did just want to point out that the workflow from the A1 in FCP Studio 5.1.2 so far for me has been flawless. This may be a consideration for those looking at the A1 or G1 and have FCP or those considering a switch to Mac.

Mirezzi
11-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I dont want to start a this v that. But I did just want to point out that the workflow from the A1 in FCP Studio 5.1.2 so far for me has been flawless. This may be a consideration for those looking at the A1 or G1 and have FCP or those considering a switch to Mac.

This is absolutely the news I wanted to hear! What specs are your G5?

Duo-core? RAM?

Noel Evans
11-10-2006, 04:18 PM
No I use a 20 inch Imac. As shown here. I have the ram maxed out.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6274003/wo/Tm5dsBTS3Rgv2n3O9bH10RSp6QW/1.?p=0

Mirezzi
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Ahh, I'm runnin' a 2.0ghz duocore G5, do the Intels perform better with FCP?

prodigywookie
11-10-2006, 04:56 PM
i've heard that the intel dual core duos are much faster for video editting considering they have 4mb of L2 cache. If anyone is planning on getting a mac, get a dual core duo. They are extremely fast.

Elton
11-10-2006, 04:59 PM
And Canon Console software runs flawlessly with Boot Camp on the Intel Mac. I got to play around with it and it is very nice.

Mirezzi
11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I just read an article that says for HD editing, the G5's are superior at the moment.

For HD and iPod H.264 encoding, the MacBook lagged considerably behind the G5.

http://www.macanimationpro.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=38816-1

Jonathan_P
11-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Would you mind posting a quick synopsis of your workflow? Thanks!

JP

Noel Evans
11-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Would you mind posting a quick synopsis of your workflow? Thanks!

JP
Well so far its very basic for what I have been doing. Just use the HDV 1080 24p preset in capture. Use the send to Motion. Output with compressor.

Elton I want to get the canon software and give it a run on bootcamp, might go look for a trial version.

Am wondering how good it actually is.

Kevin Dorsey
11-10-2006, 07:49 PM
ncje,
What kind of render times are you getting? Say with a 1 minute clip, with some basic color correction and grading, rendered to full quality .m2t. I know that not all cc'ing and grading render the same, but I'm looking for a rough estimate.

No more footage please...I can't afford it!

-Kevin

Jonathan_P
12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
And Canon Console software runs flawlessly with Boot Camp on the Intel Mac. I got to play around with it and it is very nice.
I just got off the phone with Canon after spending a frustrating morning trying to get Canon Console to talk to my XH-A1. They say that it requires version 1.1 of the software, which hasn't been released yet. Have you been able to get the A1 to work with version 1.0? Thanks!

JP

Elton
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm using 1.1 with an HP laptop. Works very well, however I've never used 1.0 so I can't help ya there.

Elton
12-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Well so far its very basic for what I have been doing. Just use the HDV 1080 24p preset in capture. Use the send to Motion. Output with compressor.

Elton I want to get the canon software and give it a run on bootcamp, might go look for a trial version.

Am wondering how good it actually is.

I'll be posting an article on xlcinema with a review of Console too. It's an image tweakers delight and I like it a lot, but it needs a very fast Intel machine.

Jay Rodriguez
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
let us know when you do that because I have no idea what this "console" is...

Is it a software or something? What's it used for?

Jonathan_P
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm using 1.1 with an HP laptop. Works very well, however I've never used 1.0 so I can't help ya there.
Do you have a pre-release version? Canon sales tells me 1.1 hasn't been released yet and I can't find anyone who sells it...

Elton
12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
It must be pre-release then. I would imagine it's just about ready for release.

coffee: It's software from Canon written for Windows that recognizes and controls the XL-H1, XH-A1, G1 and XL2. It allows a full-screen preview of the HDV output from the camera and all the image controls are laid out in tabs, windows etc.

It's very fast to tweak the image and have an accurate idea of how it's going to look, save the settings to an SD card and all with the convenience of using a laptop. (regular PC's will work too)

Think of it as a dedicated Canon DVRack.

ecking
12-08-2006, 08:07 PM
How much is does console cost?

Curtis_Rhoads
12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Console is in the $400 - $600 price range. Just a little pricey!

As for the v1.0 Trial, versus the v1.1 that Elton is running, I think that Canon has done what a lot of companies do with trial software, and that's not updated the trial version as fast as they should. I think that v1.1 is the shipping version, while the trial version is stuck at v1.0. I noticed that when you go to download the trial, it asks you what camera you are going to be using, and the only 2 listed are the XL H1 and the XL2. Might be time to write an email to Canon and let them know that you A1 users want a trial version of 1.1 to test out.

ecking
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Do you guys know if it would work with the old compaq laptop I have collecting dust in my closet?

It's a Pentium M 1.4ghz, 512mb ram. The hd is dead but if console is worth it I can just slap 1gb ram in it and a new hd.

What are it's sys reqs?