PDA

View Full Version : Timecode Sync with the HVX and/or DVX100b

Jarred Land
10-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Click Here To Read Article (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/sync/)

Jim Arthurs
10-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the article!

Just last week I was trying to do this on a two camera shoot, using both the manual's info and Barry's description from his book.

I failed miserably two days in a row trying to get it to work, and ultimately just did free-run, using a pre-set and hitting the YES button on both cameras at the same time to start the time-code rolling at more or less the same instant on both. Worked well enough, but would have been nice to have tweaked the sync a couple times a day, impossible with that method.

Next time, with these detailed instructions, maybe I'll be able to pull it off...

Regards

MichaelP
10-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Jared;

With everything optimized, no starting or stopping, etc. is there a drift over time that you have noticed?

Michael

Jarred Land
10-31-2006, 05:41 AM
yes.. I can see it drift over an hour of recording. Its close though, but unfortunately that close isnt always good enough.

dvxnerd
11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Jarred...I did a 3-camera shoot in the spring and we had drifting over the 6-hour event. We were also changing batteries and not resyncing. Luckily, we had an awesome editor to save the day. :)

Jarred Land
11-01-2006, 10:21 PM
yeah.. how much did you slip dvxnerd?

thereismore
11-02-2006, 09:11 PM
this clears up so many questions i had, thanks!
I thought the cameras had to be connected by firewire the whole time to be synced! looks like i don't need 200 feet of 1394 cable

Richard Sutcliffe
11-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Good Call jarred, the instructions for this are unclear in both Barrys book and the manual. It took me a while with both docs to get ours to work, this article will help a lot I am sure.

salils
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I've found that a camera flash actually works quite, and a lot less of a hastle. I shot a wedding, and after 47 minutes, it was still synched, frame for frame. The only disadvantage to this is obviously that the tapes won't have identical timecode, but I don't have any need for that. :thumbup:

Victor R. Longtin
12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Jared,
Thank you for the reprint . Somehow seeing the article re printed from one of Barry Green's many explanations with the menu included really helped to make it all the more understandable .....my buddy is bringing over his DVX 100B and we are going to do some test recordings with my HVX 200 ,as we are getting ready for a short narrative . Thanks again.
Vic Longtin

bfsound
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Can someone explain why this happens with our 2 dvx100A's. in the DVX book it says to set your TC to preset and then set the preset and when switched over to free run they will be in sync.

When i do this they both start "free running" at different random tc's

To fix the problem, i have to set TC to preset, switch over to free run then go back into the menus of both at the same time and re-set the preset to whatever i want and hit ok then they free run in sync... In the end it works so im not mad but it seems the way described does not work unless in the book is mis-read and after switching you still have to re-set the preset like i have to do?

Barry_Green
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Have you set the TC PRESET value first?

bfsound
05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
yes, both cameras, while set to rec run are set to preset and then preset to 00:00:00;00 then both are switched over to free run and they both start running at different and random TC's ... I mean i have a way that works but its kind of a pain