PDA

View Full Version : New Partnership between Silicon Imaging and Iridas Announced

Jason Rodriguez
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.iridas.com/press/pr/20061025.html

I'm excited, and really, this is big news because it means our camera is now a complete "blank slate" for you to make whatever color adjustments you want, load that into the camera, and have complete color management from the camera head through post.

Nothing like this exists anywhere on the planet. There is no camera on the market that can take 3D LUT's and use them as the native colorimetry of the camera, shoot with that 3D LUT, and manage it as non-destructive meta-data all the way through post. You're typically either constrained to the annoying confines of the on-board matrix and colorimetry of the camera, or you can do the 3D LUT technology using the Iridas toolset, but you have to preview the look on a monitor that can use 3D LUT's, like an expensive Cinetal, or something of that nature.

Speedgrade On-set has some amazing tools to create any color-look you can imagine . . . virtual film-stocks, etc. If you don't like the way the camera looks, make it look like *anything* you want! Seriously!

The reason I say this is because 3D LUT's map one set of RGB triplets to another set of RGB triplets. As a result, a single 3D LUT can model absoluetly ANY non-linear color correction, be it gamma correction, curves, saturation, selective color corrections, etc. Also our implementation of IRIDAS's 3D LUT's are completely non-destructive, meaning that if you clip the whites in the 3D LUT, but there's still "over-white" information, you can simply dial that information back in during post correction in a 32-bit floating point environment.

We're going to be packaging a bunch of generic looks with the camera to-do stuff like bleach bypasses, wide-dyanmic range stuff, low-con looks, etc.

There'll be more information coming out soon, but we just wanted you all to be aware of the exciting new developments happening. We've been quiet, but we've been working hard :)

Andreas
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
...and the great news keep coming. Its still very early for questions, but I was wondering what about the SI/CineForm workflow that we are familiar with. Is this a completly new workflow or its going to to be a plus in the alwready very atractive way CineForm RAW handles the color corection info in metadata ?

best
Andreas

Ari Presler
10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Andreas,

You are just seeing the tip of the iceberg! All I can say today is it will be more than A+ for SI/CineFormRAW.

Start the countdown clock. We are about to change the way films are shot, edited and finished.

Andreas
10-28-2006, 06:18 AM
That's the spirit I like ! Countdown has been started !

Andreas

MovieSwede
10-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes the reason to shoot with film gets weaker and weaker.

I really like the SI+CineForm workflow.

Will you show example of different camera preset looks?

Jason Rodriguez
10-30-2006, 04:50 AM
Yes, and we will also package different looks as well.

Finall, we'll have an upload area where you can submit looks with thumbnails, and then browse through them for download . . . so we'll have a little ".look" community.

Steve Nordhauser
10-30-2006, 01:37 PM
If anyone wants to see the SI cameras, come to HD Expo. We will be in Adobe/Cineform's booth. Also, the following day we are doing a seminar called The Silicon Imaging - Cineform Workflow at Abel Cine Tech:
http://siliconimaging.com/SEMINAR.htm
-Steve

Andreas
11-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Speaking of seminars... I would actualy love to see a downloadeable video with a tutorial-like content, somethink like the interview Ari Prestler and David Newman gave at StudioDaily back on May, an interview that personaly heped me alot to visualize what the SI/CineForm workflow is like, granded my English is not perfect and I sometimes have a hard time reading a technical document without an optical reference to the actual thing. Seeing Ari actually taking in and out the hard drive gear made lot more sence to me, also seeing David apllying the CC metadata to the image with a clic of a mouse worked even better. It sure did simplified things and I am no longer afraid of a future jump over to that cind of workflow from the basic SONY FX1E/AspecrtHD/PPRO2 am I curently in.

best
Andreas