PDA

View Full Version : Voting is a bi*&%^&

Michael_Petro
10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Heres my problem with voting maybe someone can help...

best way to describe this is with an example

Bloody MAry and ID

I absolutely loved these movies however, I liked ID just a Little better, so heres the dilemma.... IN edit sound score screnplay acting (IMO) they where pretty close and
think in cinematography bloody mary was better. I mean all around bloodmary was more polished, but again I like ID better not by much but I did like it better.. SO HOW THE HECK DO YOU VOTE... arrrgggghhhhh!

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow! Michael... I don't know what to say. But THANK YOU!

However I end up in this race, I will always remember this comment.

Thank you so much!

Ted

Barry_Green
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I totally agree. I'd rather there be one category that just says "rate this film" and I could give it anywhere from a 1 to a 10.

Some of the films were very polished with great acting and excellent camera work but the story was subpar or the ending was unacceptable or some such thing. And then there was stuff like The Awakening which was just silly fun, not technically skilled. Or "The Commitment", which certainly didn't have the best cinematography as compared to the others, but hands down it was the scariest and perhaps the most fun of 'em all.

If I had to watch 'em again, you'd better believe that I'd rather see those last two rather than some of the others, yet the way the ballot is structured it may turn out that the less-enjoyable ones will score higher.

I'd rather see one category where you give the film an "overall" rating, which is where creativity or story or the indefinable "it factor" can all come into play.

Mark Harris
10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I was thinking there should be an "X-factor" category, like for horror, it should be "How Scary was it?" for comedy "How funny?" etc.

VersuS
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I found out that when I was putting my marks, as I explained in a thread and many many posts, I tried to be objective and work each category on its own without considering the film but just the technical aspect.. However I would end up seeing movie X having an overall figure higher than movie Y when movie Y I loved much more than movie X. That kinda puzzled me...but I decided to go with it as much as I could because since the ballot we're given has categories, than you have to judge according to these categories, and if the overall mark is what it is, then you have to stick by it. I mean...there are some movies that I really enjoyed watching and would watch again and again but technically (categories-wise) were not so good. It's just the way it goes. I mean I love watching Rocky IV or RamboII for the entertainment, but I couldnt give them high marks.

Marius
10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah, agree with this too!

I was going through the ballot and ran into this same problem.
In the end it will seem that the TECHNICALLY BEST movie will win; which is cool, but not really. A SEPARATE category where OVERALL movie appeal is rated, and it counting maybe TRIPLE or even QUADRUPLE would be a possible solution to this dilemma.

As it is, I caught myself ADJUSTING the individual scores just so the END TOTAL score is somewhere where I'd consider it a good overall rating. So I now stopped rating them for now...

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I have to agree, (just in case this influence the future vote-casting method).

Having never done this before, I was expecting to see an over-all rating method... which would have been a lot easier for me to fill out.

But, I do see the merit in this system. It really makes you have to put a lot of thought into your casting, which I am anyway... but just a lot more than I expected to.

Michael_Petro
10-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I am almost tempted to go straight across the board with the same number to indicate how much i liked the movie i dont know trying to figure it out...

Marius
10-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I might have to resort the Petroesque Voting system also, because as it is, I'm pretty well stuck.

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, Michael, not to influence your vote, what Marius explained above sounds very reasonable and something that I intend on adopting without comprising the integrity of the film (meaning, I don't want to "jip" someone out of a best editing award if they deserve it by lowering their score in that dept. just to get the films to line-up as I see them. Does that make sense? :huh: I do believe that I read that there was, in addition to the 1,2,3 spots, an award for best editing and something else.)

Rock Punk!
10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I had the same problem. It's like figure skating (without the scandal - or maybe not). Some films kicked ass technically but at the same time I thought other films that scored lower technically were better than those with higher technical scores. You almost need to step back from the technical marks and then just rank them from 1 to 64.

EDIT: I mean that in addition to the technical scores we should add an additional ranking column.

VersuS
10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
The thing is guys, that we are not viewers in this. Ok, we all love movies obviously, so when we see a movie here we subconsciously rate it as plain viewers/geeks/fans/freaks....but since we are all in the film-making thing as well, no matter how good we are or not, no matter how many movies we've done so far, since we are in this as well, we judge and should judge accordingly. Coz we know how to appreciate someone's strong skills in editing, or lighting, or acting. So these categories exist because we are not plain viewers.

cinealma
10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I remember bringing this up way back when in the voting sheet thread. I TOTALLY AGREE that there should be an overall film score in itself that does not rely on any other category. I have no choice but to tweak the category scores in order to give the film the overall score I'd like.

The current way it's set up, then the film is judged on the sum of a few of it's parts, and not on the film as a whole. And there's just six of them, too. Where's direction? Where's set design? Where's costume design? The latter two I think count just as much as "score" does.

Anyway, it's far from perfect, but it is what it is. Hopefully the issues will be addressed the next time around.

John G.

TimurCivan
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Heres my problem with voting maybe someone can help...

best way to describe this is with an example

Bloody MAry and ID

I absolutely loved these movies however, I liked ID just a Little better, so heres the dilemma.... IN edit sound score screnplay acting (IMO) they where pretty close and
think in cinematography bloody mary was better. I mean all around bloodmary was more polished, but again I like ID better not by much but I did like it better.. SO HOW THE HECK DO YOU VOTE... arrrgggghhhhh!

I agree ther should be a X factor Vote. movie master woulda gotten a 10 in that. that movie was on par with Army of darkness in my book.

Blaine
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
I've had to go through the voting several times. The first time through, I rated as consistantly film-to-film as I could. Then, I chose my top 5-10 movies in order and had to go back to tweak the scoring so that my voting reflected my preference. That said, if a film was outstanding in a particular category, I adjusted a category I felt wasn't as good in, to help with my overall scoring. When all was said and done, I was reasonably happy with how the movies came out (score-wise). But it definitely would help to have a column called "Overall Impression" perhaps weighted 2 or 3 times more than any of the other categories. That way, the movie you felt was the best overall movie could be ranked that way without dickering with the individual category scores.

In the end, I was able to complete the scoring, get my favorite movie to the top and still have the best movies in each individual categories reflected as such. I was difficult and took a lot more work that it would if we had a heavily weighted "Overall Impression" category.

david jerome
10-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I think a best movie category should be added in the future and each category should stand alone. No adding of categories for overall score. Have a winner for each category to give props and give the prizes to the best movie category.

VersuS
10-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I think a best movie category should be added in the future and each category should stand alone. No adding of categories for overall score. Have a winner for each category to give props and give the prizes to the best movie category.

I guess this one David sounds the logical approach we should have from now on! Really nice you threw that on the table!!!:thumbup:

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I love this idea. This is what I was expecting to find on my score sheet.

Just reiterating this so maybe next time we'll have a different format... IF that is what people want and the Mods agree.

Scrappy
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I think I'm gonna give up on voting, it's too close with the top 7 or 8 films. Just saw ID, wow. AS I discover more of these gems it becomes harder to pick the winners.

Notlikely
10-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I took a peek at the ballot sheet and I must say, I'm sort of glad I wouldn't have to vote right now. This whole thing is kind of confusing. After reading you guys posts, I think they should really consider David's idea has the best solution. Because the voting process as it stands now is set in such a way that If a movie did not impress you at all but they stuck to correct format and execution, then you may end up giving a really high score to a movie you didn't quite like vs a movie you loved. My heads hurts just thinking about it. :-)

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I think I'm gonna give up on voting, it's too close with the top 7 or 8 films. Just saw ID, wow. AS I discover more of these gems it becomes harder to pick the winners.
Thanks Scrappy! That's a nice complement. I really appreciate the comment! But I hope that you don't give up on voting... not just for me, but because your vote matters!

khmuse
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I totally agree. I'd rather there be one category that just says "rate this film" and I could give it anywhere from a 1 to a 10.

I couldn't agree more. Unweighted categories is a fairly absurd approach and will not yield the best film in many cases.

I think a much better approach would be just as Barry stated a simple 1 to 10 for the film as a whole. If anyone wanted, they could optionally rate in categories, but these should have no bearing on the best film.

A crappy film is, at best, the sum of its parts. A great film however, can be much, much more.