View Full Version : marketing strategy for your short

Charli
10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
The Black Angel had tremendous success in marketing, I believe more than
any other short here. We had less than 800 views on September 2nd and
now we have 8000+ views.

If you want to know how I spearheaded this marketing campaign, please
visit on thread on Wednesday. For one day and one day only I will give a
detail account of 'how' I marketed this short film.

I don't mean the basics like screen grabs, that was Kevin's job. I mean
other techniques which drew people in by the droves. You want to know
how it was done?

Visit the Black Angel thread and get ideas so that the next fest, you will think
outside of the box.

MOVIE MASTER
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
sell your soul!

Charli
10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
The thread is up for one day and one day only. I'll take down the report
on Thursday.

VersuS
10-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Can someone tell Movie Master that it's ok to do with his thread whatever he wants to, but posting meaningless things in others especially when they make an effort to help/inform is bad?

Charli I'll check it out and come back with comments!

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Speaking of marketing and Movie Master causes me to imput here.

First of all, Movie Master, you blew me away with your promo attack! I thought that it was brilliant. I was hooked when you started the whole "gates of terror opening" and such.

I wish that throughout your compaign that you had more to offer. I grew tired of it. (I am not trying to me mean, here.) I found that you continue to prod and poke at us (a good thing) with promises that didn't hold up (a bad thing).

I stopped watching your thread.

And now, I find it just laughable that you continue to inject statements that offer nothing. I don't get it.

If you are trying to get your name out there... you've done it.

If you are trying to annoy us... you're doing it. (or at least me)

I believe that you eaned a lot of respect from a lot of people. You're film wasn't the scariest thing that I have ever seen but it was enjoyable and I applaud your attempt at filmmaking.

I think that you should, from this point on, engage in meaning conversations and try to grow as a filmmaker.

Maybe that is just me and I am being too old and too stuffy. But I am not laughing at your posts anymore. If you dropped the "act," I think that people might take you more seriously and engage in more meaningful conversations with you.

You could learn a lot, as I am, from the people on this forum.

Just my opinion.

Weston
10-11-2006, 07:36 AM
I dunno...i still like Movie Masters insane randomness. Does everyone have to follow the laws of conversation? Can he not interject meaningless phrases that make you say: "oh yeah...movie master is off his rocker"

I may just be me, but I still enjoy it.

He doesnt do it all the time...and I've noticed that a lot of his comments have been more serious lately. Also ...it could just be becauese the fest is still going. Anyone who sees an insanse movie master quote will be reminded to watch the awakening if they have not done so. It could just be continuing with the marketing. '

If it goes on long after the fest then I could see reason to get annoyed. Perhaps then he could be told to stop. Of course I think I'd still enjoy it, but I love me some crazy quotes.

Just my thoughts at the moment...I can see why you guys might get annoyed. I think I just have a stupid sense of humor.

VersuS
10-11-2006, 07:41 AM
its not about a sense of humour, i have no problem with bumping up his thread

but for example, charli starts a new serious thread about showing us some really great effort she made and he justs puts a random crazy quote as you say...ok...this is not funny nor a marketing trick, this is immature

Weston
10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
"sell your soul" IS his marketing advice. I think thats funny.

VersuS
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
hmm ok maybe it's an age thing...i dont know

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, I do hear what you are saying Weston but as this fest continues, I feel that Movie Master could come out of the closet and "reveal" himself. It could be a great opportunity to say, "hey, that was fun, glad I got the attention that I wanted, I now want to really learn from you guys."

I feel that AFTER the fest, the traffic on this forum will likely drop and he will have lost an opportunity to "introduce" himself.

I was only trying to offer a suggestion and not hammer the guy. I absolutely applaud his initial efforts.

I guess I have missed any "serious" inputs from him... most of what I see are 3-4 word one-liners and I don't even stop to read them anymore.

But that's just me.

Weston
10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
As far as thinking its funny...that could indeed be an age thing. It may have been a few days ago that I saw some serious....real human being comments from him. You guys probably browse the threads more than me and are seeing alot more of these 3 and 4 word comments, in which case I can understand getting sick of it.

Maybe he thinks he'd losing his grip...and now hes desperately trying to say the most insane of comments to get some fans back.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your explanation, Weston. I do hope that Movie Master understands that I am only trying to offer a suggestion.

He has actually PM'd me a few times and asked some very good questions.

I feel that his "banter" here only prohibits him from people taking him seriously. And he has been serious in his PM's to me.

This forum has been and is good fun... but it is a place to learn and grow as well.

A little balance goes a long way.

Okay Charli, sorry that we got side-tracked. :)

Charli
10-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Theo - hollow marketing=lessens credibility of filmmaker. I think if you hype
up your short and fall short of delivering, it hurts the reputation of that
filmmaker.

In the future we will see movie master as an adorable guy, but because of
the hollow hype I'm not sure if anyone will take him seriously, there lies the
danger to this type of hype.

I'd rather have substance.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Ours didn't work.... no-one bit.
Must say thanks to Brandon Rice for putting his neck out on this. Props to such a great sport.
Cheers.:dankk2: :thumbup: :beer:
J.P.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:16 AM
what are you talking about Jean-Paul - the police thing for the short that's not in the festival now?

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
That police things were about 'Broken Circle' thanks for paying attention Jack :)

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
See told you it didn't work.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
So what happened to the film?

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Jarred lost it...going to post on my server tonight.

Mark Harris
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I told you that the other night Jack, that the cop stuff was for Broken Circle.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the quote...
Would have preferred : - This has never been achieved BEFORE to such a degree in our festival

Just for grammatical reasons.

:)
hehe

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Desperate, we had sirens and everything.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
No you posted at same time as JP, it was for the student film.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Jack, ok, it's been a long festival.

A. 'Broken Circle' I tried to wind everyone with a fake my Actors possesed story.

B. Jarred lost Cursed, it was uploaded but the Police were not invovled. :)

Mark Harris
10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Get some sleep, Jack.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:51 AM
J.P. your marketing scheme was a success in that Mark and I were discussing it matter of factually last night - meaning as if it really happened.

"What happened with that, I heard some cop thing I think it was real, somebody heard it on the radio"
"Yeah that was Brandon, he said he heard it on the radio. I don't know I guess they couldn't get permission to release it. I looked for it."

But 3 things

if this was for a community that has some respect and a higher degree of moderation than the regular real world -- no way in hell I was gonna have fun with the idea of someone dying while making your film, and even looked down my nose at those who said they smelled marketing. I suspected the same, but no way was I gonna say it and I think we have to suspect it in order to get into it and have fun. If this was the real world with an uncaring media then they would be there to pimp your story with tragic accounts of what supposedly happened, but not here.
You also really needed people crying bullshi* to stoke the fire, but we were all afraid to. Would have been great for an argument to have flared up around this "This is bullshi*" "how can you say that someone is dead. Do you really thunk JP would make that up just to promote a film." "I think he has and he did" "How can you be so insensitive." So I think you jumped in too fast when charlie said she smelled a marketing scheme, should have let that be as I was about to jump in and say that she better hope it was and that I thought her comment was insensitive and that I would rather be fooled than say something I would regret (which is the case). So I think you clamped down on it too hard when you should have sort of neglected the thread and let it go on its own after you let the cat out of the bag.
no follow through in the 11th hour, or if so I missed it. We all should have been waiting with baited breath until the last second to see if you were going to enter. Good job getting the resident cub scout to lie for you, but I don't remember anything after that. It should have been. "I don't know guys, I'm piecing together what I can, the court subpoenaed some of the tapes before I could capture .... I have a friend that's a lawyer and he may be able to get me access to them to make copies and let the courts keep the original ... still waiting to hear from the courts if I can legally release this, I have the web version encoded, but can't upload until I get the green light ... its a day past the deadline but jarred says I can upload if I get the courts ok , keep your fingers crossed guys" and then finally "hurrah it was released ... in memory of Sharon So and So", but it seemed like it stopped with Brandon's LIE LIE LIE I tell you, and that was it.

Mark Harris
10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Something pretentious...

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:57 AM
are you on crack?

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 11:57 AM
D'oh!

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the quote...
Would have preferred : - This has never been achieved BEFORE to such a degree in our festival

Just for grammatical reasons.

hehe Why?

"never been .... before"

is redundant and wordy. If its never been then it's never been before.

I think you are on about that fact that it doesn't say "has never been achieved to such a degree as it has been with Broken Circle" which I would assert "as it has been with Broken Circle" is implied much the same sway "you" is implied in "hand me that screwdriver".

But I will PM you or update my review with something more punchy since I didn't give you a very good sound bite despite my rave review.

I can't believe I just took a Limey to grammar school. :cheesy:

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Bwwwhhaaarrr....

That's me told...

Actually I didn't say someone had died, that would be gross. Just said something had happened. Someone did point it out later in the thread. I said he had been possessed, always my angle. :) Dumb eh..I’m just not good at these things so I should leave well alone in the future. The possessed thing got completely passed over; again I should have hyped it.

Jack your comments where fantastic, just ribbing you. Thanks again for your kind words, I wouldn’t change them for a million pounds….ermmm…no I wouldn’t…

I'm going to hire Chari next time :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 12:41 PM
yeah the Black Angel People were top notch marketers.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
How have you found it all Jack? I'm exhausted. Your premier go well?

Charli
10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Jack - thanks for that. Kevin was responsible for casting, directing and editing.
I was responsible for the script, story development and marketing. It's nice to
hear you guys liked my marketing scheme.

JP - I do remember that. It 'smelled' like a marketing scheme, and as Jack stated,
I did indeed sound insensitive to that plight. It just didn't sound right.

For those interested, the DETAILED ACCOUNT of the Black Angel marketing
strategy is on page #17 of the Black Angel thread. Just click on my banner.
You might get inspired.

Special thanks to Brandon for the publicity stunt!

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
JP clear your in box.

JoshuaNitschke
10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Theo - hollow marketing=lessens credibility of filmmaker. I think if you hype
up your short and fall short of delivering, it hurts the reputation of that
filmmaker.
I agree.

That's why I haven't been hyping mine. I was hoping the fact that it was shot on andromeda would help draw some viewers, but didn't really help. And since the cinematography isn't really diverse, I don't even like pimping that that much.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 02:47 PM
JP clear your in box.

Sorry Jack, been watching telly. :)

Future user
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
We didn't do any. With it being the first film and all I didn't want to hype it and not be able to pull it off. Good thing too.

Gauranga
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Marketing?

Apparently I did a piss poor job of it because hardly anyone has been posting reviews on my thread (thank you to the ones that did!). I guess that's what happens when you don't spend 24 hours a day on this forum.

Jinny
10-11-2006, 03:58 PM
This post is completely none of my business, but I just want to share a little something about JP's shoot for 'Broken Circle' that all film makers should bear in mind when filming.........

JP's shoot for 'Broken Circle' was as scary as the finished film. I nearly died! No exaggeration.
Here's what happened; When we finished shooting (about 11pm) I loaded my equipment into the boot of my car with the help of Steadycam Jason, said my farewells and got into my car. But Before I could put the key in the ignition the doors locked by themselves! It really made me jump because that has never happened before, then they unlocked themselves, locked, unlocked and locked getting faster and faster each time. I was completely spooked and tried to get out of the car but the doors continued to lock each time I tried to get out, this went on for probably just two minutes but it felt like an age as I was getting more and more panicked. Then I saw a movement in the rear-view mirror making me think that there was someone in the backseat (imagine how sacred I was then!) so I completely freaked out , booted the door open and jumped out of the car- straight into the path of an on-coming car!
I was so frigging lucky that the guy managed to slam on his brakes and stop just over a metre from me.
That's how I nearly died.
JP, Jason and Ama came to my aid and calmed me down enough to get back in the car after a few minutes. I was shaken and turned the rear-view mirror to face the floor so as I didn't have to look into it again on the drive home.
I have had my car for 6 years, it has no electrical faults, this had never happened before and it thankfully has NEVER happened again since.
Yep, all you sensible people will say that the entire incident was probably a combination of electrics malfunctioning and my imagination running away with me because of the topic of that days' shoot, but me jumping panic-stricken into the path of a car is completely out of character for me. I never get spooked or scared, after all Horror is my 'thing', I've created dozens of monsters, ghouls, demons and creatures for various projects and not once even blinked an eyelid at any strange goings-on. Following the shoot for 'Broken Circle' I am never again doing anything with a seance or Ouija board involved, and I now wear my Rosary beads when working on any supernatural project.

Sometimes films do not need any marketing strategies or hype to raise interest and awareness of a film, sometimes the truth would do a better job than anything our imaginations can manufacture.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Talk about a marketing strategy! This is a GREAT way to boost ratings... tell spooky stories!!! :)

No, seriously, thank you for sharing that. I think that I would be completely freaked out myself! (In fact, I got a little spooked on my set and there were no seance or Ouija boards involved! Just a dark basement.

Good luck with your film! And welcome aboard!

Ted

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I feel awful J, sorry you got so freaked. Must admit strange things happened around me all day. I wanted to tell the story before but guessed everyone would have thought I was messing around. I think because the set-up was pretty close to the mark for a real sťance, apart from the olive-oil blood, plus the fact we didn't actually call upon any sprits. It still created the right...not sure of the word...circumstances...er...feeling...to draw spirits.

Don't know if you remember but a Spiritualist lived next door, I spoke to her in the morning and she gave me this 'Are you crazy' look. I suppose in hindsight we shouldn't mess with these things.

J.P.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Talk about a marketing strategy! This is a GREAT way to boost ratings... tell spooky stories!!! :)

No, seriously, thank you for sharing that. I think that I would be completely freaked out myself! (In fact, I got a little spooked on my set and there were no seance or Ouija boards involved! Just a dark basement.

Good luck with your film! And welcome aboard!

Ted

See, told you.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I feel awful J, sorry you got so freaked. Must admit strange things happened around me all day. I wanted to tell the story before but guessed everyone would have thought I was messing around. I think because the set-up was pretty close to the mark for a real sťance, apart from the olive-oil blood, plus the fact we didn't actually call upon any sprits. It still created the right...not sure of the word...circumstances...er...feeling...to draw spirits.

Don't know if you remember but a Spiritualist lived next door, I spoke to her in the morning and she gave me this 'Are you crazy' look. I suppose in hindsight we shouldn't mess with these things.

J.P.
Yeah, it's got to be a bit nerve-racking.... messing around with "fake" spirits and such for the sake of art.

n8ture on the Black Angel set had some weird crap happen to him during the day of their shoot.

Maybe I'll stay away from the supernatural!

Ted

edit: fixed typo

Charli
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Theo - it was the curse of the Black Angel. Anything that could go wrong, did
go wrong at the cemetery. This is why I don't do horror. This was a one time
gig. I'm over it. I won't be at any more horror fest or zombie fest or creepy fest
or blood/gore fest or anything remotely creepy.

I'm creeped out.

JoshuaNitschke
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
The supernatural has ignored me so far and that's fine by me. :)

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Theo - it was the curse of the Black Angel. Anything that could go wrong, did
go wrong at the cemetery. This is why I don't do horror. This was a one time
gig. I'm over it. I won't be at any more horror fest or zombie fest or creepy fest
or blood/gore fest or anything remotely creepy.

I'm creeped out.
Charli, don't say that!!! You KNOW this gang is going to announce another fest one day soon and it is going to involve vampires, mummies or werewolves.... and you better be involved!!!!

:zombie_smiley:

Oooops! I mean,

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
The supernatural has ignored me so far and that's fine by me. :)
Sorry, Virum.... I'm not the supernatural but I didn't mean to ignore you! :)

Charli
10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
theatre - LOL, no way, I'm out. No more horror or vampires, okay, well,
if it's a vampire theme, I might could possibly work with that. I did like
"Underworld" - but no really, I'm done, unless of course it's something like
that movie and uh, no really...

No truthfully, I'm not into it. So this was the first/last horror type fest for
me. I'll watch from the distance next time and the time after that.
There are too many cool genres to play with and film.

I'd love to do a drama.

JoshuaNitschke
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry, Virum.... I'm not the supernatural but I didn't mean to ignore you! :)
Oh I wasn't making any jabs like that!

I was just saying that I've never had a supernatural experience, so I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear about them, but I also figure that many people can't be lying....

But if that's what they're like, I'm happy to pass on them. :D

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh I wasn't making any jabs like that!

I was just saying that I've never had a supernatural experience, so I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear about them, but I also figure that many people can't be lying....

But if that's what they're like, I'm happy to pass on them. :D
HA HA HA!!!

Nooo, I made that statement because I thought that it was funny that I "ignored" your comment and answered Charli's!!!

That's all!

Thought it was funny

:grin:

Ralph Oshiro
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Marketing?

Apparently I did a piss poor job of it because hardly anyone has been posting reviews on my thread (thank you to the ones that did!). I guess that's what happens when you don't spend 24 hours a day on this forum.Honestly, I don't know what the hell happened with your thread. I thought you had one of the most appealing, most interesting, most slickly designed banners of the fest. It was your banner alone which drew me to watch your film among the first that I viewed. I thought it was just plain weird how low your view counts were on your thread.