PDA

View Full Version : The Most Creative HorrorFest Entries?

luster
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Most of the entries in this contest are technically great - great camera work, editing, and great sound design. I was blown away by the quality on many of these films - there are no doubt a lot of talented people on these forums.

The one area where I think a lot of these film are lacking, though, is in writing and originality departments. A lot of these films felt like scenes from movies that have already been made.

Having said that, I think there are a few films that were very creative.

So which HorrorFest entries do you think were the most creative?

luster
10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I think "Dear Jane" and "The Girl Next Door" were very creative, and also well made.

Inexistence
10-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I thought The Sound from Beyond was creative, maybe not somuch in the execution
but, the style served it's purpose well. That's if my interpretation was correct... hmm
I have to watch it again... *double clicks TSFB MP4 Medium 16X9.mov"*

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 10:18 AM
IMO Meat was creative.

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Any one that did not have the SERIAL KILLER/HOSTEL/SAW thing going on was creative.

That's like I guess 4 of them it seems

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I didn't say it was you shameful self promoter

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 10:21 AM
ah... shameless self promoter ;)

HorseFilms
10-09-2006, 10:23 AM

hehe:thumbsup:

Larry Rutledge
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM

You know...we haven't had a good banning in quite a long time :evil: :grin:

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
You know...we haven't had a good banning in quite a long time :evil: :grin:

uh... I am now DELETING my post.

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Now it looks like JH is talking to himself...

luster
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
you guys creatively killed this thread

Beat Takeshi
10-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Don't you hate that?

pmgmedia
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Some of the most creative ones are still a bit derivative of existing horror films, but that's to be expected when doing genre pieces. What counts is did they bring something new to the table. Even though Halfway had similarities to Saw I thought it was extremely effective - one of the few I have seen that I would actually call 'scary'. Cure for Writers Block #9 is superbly creative too, despite comparisons to Eraserhead and Naked Lunch. IMO, Draco and Urine Trouble get high marks in the creativity department too. Rekiindled had tremendous visual impact and creative editing, it just seemed very derivative of multiple films and wasn't at all scary.

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
ROFL! That's hillarious!

Is it ?

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Okay, party poopers.

Well honestly I think this fest reflects the movie buisess as a whole. You had a lot that might have been derivitive, some that were new twists on old ideas, and then things like Urine Trouble and Halfway, that were just off the charts in their own ways.

But when you say creative, there's only so original you can be before you start to leave the language of the genre behind. When things like Frankenstein came out, THAT was creative because no one had ever SEEN that before. But now, we all have seen horror for 100 years. So there are certain conventions established, and those have come to define the genre, like it or not. And those conventions are actually pretty uniform through the subgenres: Monster chase you and you die. The monster might be Buffalo Sampson, or a urine cake. "you die" might be actually getting hacked up, or being driven mad, or whatever. In Black Angel, her insanity equals getting killed, basically. You see my point.

That being said, there were varying degrees of creativity within the genre in this fest, but I did notice some nice twists on old ideas. Jack's movie. The Blind Guy movie. Dear Jane. Even Bloody Mary, while shamlessly cribbing, story, lighting plots, themes, shots from Hamlet to no fewer than TWO DEPALMA FILMS, we tried to put those things together with some creativity, rather than re-invent the wheel. And I see a lot of people doing the same types of thing.

So I think creativity has been popping up in those ways. You can say there wasn't much, and maybe en masse that's true, but I think you need to define those terms a little better, because as I said, there's only so creative you can get within the limits of the genre, and given the number of films, this shakes out very much like the industry as a whole, I think.

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 10:58 AM
IMO, Draco and Urine Trouble get high marks in the creativity department too. .

Draco! Draco! Draco! Everyone go watch Draco!
okay, back to the thread.

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Even Bloody Mary, while shamlessly cribbing

Dude

VersuS
10-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I believe that Love is the most deceptive feeling was creative....its the first time I am saying publicly something like this for my entry but I feel that in the creativity department I had some good moments......

please dont bash....

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Dude

?? huh???

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM
He's back on with the shameless promotion stuff, I think. But I was HONESTLY trying to show an example of NOT re-ionventing the genre, but trying to use existing elements.

Grant
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Meat, The Girl Next door, Bloody Mary, Into the darkness, halfway. I havent watched them all yet.... but those stand out. I was suprised we had so many serial killers/maniac killers/dilusional killers (you get the point)..... Its so overdone, and i feel somewhat of a cop out. I have not seen one classic horror film with vampires, or wearwolves....which I was REALLY HOPING FOR Its easy to give a chainsaw to a fat mainiac:)

Grant

VersuS
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Grant, The Door Between HAS vampires! The only one!

Brandon Rice
I have not seen one classic horror film with vampires

Ugh, my original idea... sad I couldn't do it.

Yep

Cynic821
Now you guys are redifining creative...im with john.

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 11:06 AM

I'll be over to review tonight, but I was thinking exactly that watching your movie: "Holy Cow, I JUST NOTICED this is the first actual VAMPIRE film I've seen..." That's pretty shocking to me.

Grant
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
oh i have not yet seen the door between...... Thank god there are Vampires somewhere here... otherwise we should be ashamed of ourselves :)

TheatreGuy
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey, John Hudon...

What happened to The Judas Kiss? I was looking forward to your film.

Ted

VersuS
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Man...those S$$$ movies like crap_underworld and blade (though it had some energy in it) really screwed the Vampire Era. We vampYres want to protest!

VersuS
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey, John Hudon...

What happened to The Judas Kiss? I was looking forward to your film.

Ted

now THIS IS self promoting...lol....love you Ted!!!!:Drogar-Love(DBG):

Cynic821
10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
What is up with all these quotes? Its worse then the giant animated banners of the past. hard to read these threads.

J.R. Hudson
He's back on with the shameless promotion stuff, I think. But I was HONESTLY trying to show an example of NOT re-ionventing the genre, but trying to use existing elements.

Naw

I was just busting your balls for patting yourself on your own back :D :evil:

-

Judas Kiss is on permanent shelf duty for a variety of reasons.

Mark Harris
Another example of what I'm saying is one of my favorite horro films of all time: "Ginger Snaps" Is it original? Well, it's just a werewolf movie. They tweaked it with the relationship between the sisters, the menstration stuff, etc. But it's basically just a werewolf movie. Orginal? No. Creative use of existing elements? yes.

Same thing with Buffy (series, not the movie - shudder...)

TheatreGuy
now THIS IS self promoting...lol....love you Ted!!!!:Drogar-Love(DBG):
Huh? Did I miss something?

I stumbled onto this thread and saw John_Hudson all over it. I thought that I would take the time to ask since he may be on it.

I really was looking forward to seeing it.

Grant
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I feel like a lot of the big budget hollywood movies (in every genre) aspire to be one thing but many times fall very short, but maybe its just me being me and thinking.... I would have done this or that better or different etc...

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Naw

I was just busting your balls for patting yourself on your own back :D :evil:

-

Judas Kiss is on permanent shelf duty for a variety of reasons.

Dude, considering the only work I've ever shown here is a comedy about butt-sex, I'm patting myself on the back for not getting laughed off the board :)

Grant
10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Ginger snaps was awesome. Have you seen Dog Sildiers.... Awesome wearwolf film

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Dude, considering the only work I've ever shown here is a comedy about butt-sex, I'm patting myself on the back for not getting laughed off the board :)

LMAO ! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Steve_Arm
10-09-2006, 11:14 AM

Manhole rocks. I like it.

Grant
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
did he say Butt sex.... hahahahahahahahahaha

VersuS
Huh? Did I miss something?

I stumbled onto this thread and saw John_Hudson all over it. I thought that I would take the time to ask since he may be on it.

I really was looking forward to seeing it.

Man I was just kidding !!! :) friends?

Michael_Petro

DUDE your the manhole-dude?... gee I need pay attention geesh hahahaha buttsecks...wait thats nasty

Michael_Petro
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Betrayed a wholly unoriginal film... but its got lesbians.. and thats always nice.

//wait did I just mock myself..

Robert Eldon
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Any one that did not have the SERIAL KILLER/HOSTEL/SAW thing going on was creative.

That's like I guess 4 of them it seems

John,

Are you suggesting that '4 of them' had the SERIAL KILLER/HOSTEL/SAW thing or that only '4 of them' did not?

I haven't seen HOSTEL or SAW.

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I was exagerrating but suggesting maybe 4 did not

(and let us refrain from further mention of buttsecks; unless it involves Cindy Crawford)

avatuar
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
The most creative I've seen? Hmmmm I would honestly have to go with rekindled or broken circle. Although although it's a real toss-up between them and Lakeside;)

TheatreGuy
10-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Man I was just kidding !!! :) friends?
I figured you were kidding... just didn't get it! :)

John, sorry to hear that your film is on hold. Seriously.... I wanted to see that. Love the title. Keep us posted if it becomes available to view!

Lakeside original? hmmm... yeah.... four young kids, pulled over by a hillbilly "cop" (actor of the festival BTW!) then spend the first night of their vacation in a dream cabin while some beast kills the little dog and threatens to do the same to them!!!

Yep! Sounds original! :grin: (I hope you don't mind the sacrcasm... actually Lakeside is one of the best made movies here!)

Ted

J.R. Hudson
10-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Lakeside is my favorite film. It just felt like a movie.

Darkline
10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
The sun rises, the sun sets; story has evolved since mankind could communicate, and I tell you there is no story that is truly unique. All you can do is take things that speak to you and put them together in your own way. Who cares if the revenge story has been told? the killer campfire story (not not an actual killer campfire! that would be too original), the urban legend, the monster in the woods or under the bed, the ghost of the dead lover/child, the unexplained creature in your underwear?...... These things work, and have done for centuries for a reason....What matters is they have never been told in the way YOU will tell them. You will tell them in a fusion that no-one else has.. And that to me, is the creative part.

If you want to call my entry a a saw rip-off (for the opening kidnap), then you have to also call it an audition rip-off (for the squirming bag), a bit of japanese horror, the descent, elm-street (for the face in the wall), maybe even 70's horror for the recurring endings, maybe even 50's b-movies for a munching carpet monster!.... I'm guilty and Im going to hell....

Of course it doesnt help we're working in 'horror'. Horror is probably the most derivative genre of the lot. It relies on certain techniques to scare. It plays on our fears which are universal throughout time...People go to the cinema regardless just to see someone elses perspective on it.

Working on a budget as most of us here do, some of those like the woods or the hostel treatment are going to show up more than others. They are cheap to do and the avilability is local and immediate!

So all Im saying is that creativity is not in story alone.... its in editing, lighting, atmosphere, direction, sound, and the combination of all of these to form a cinematic experience.

This isnt a defense of me, its a defense of anybody that bothered to make an entry this year. Yes, some may be more genre derivative than others, but look at each one deep enough and you'll find something in it unique.

Hey at least no-one in here made 'Valentine' or 'Hide and Seek' eh?

FlintMI
10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
What is up with all these quotes? Its worse then the giant animated banners of the past. hard to read these threads.

uh oh. not again. PM me if you want a trick to turn 'em off.

TheatreGuy
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Lakeside is my favorite film. It just felt like a movie.
Couldn't agree more that it "just felt like a movie!" I was SO impressed with the camera work in the cabin. I plan on studying that footage. It was so effective!

Psynema
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
I think "Dear Jane" and "The Girl Next Door" were very creative, and also well made.

Just saw Dear Jane...

Did anyone else spot the microphone cord in one of the shots? Unless it was rope, but looked more like a cord:huh: ?

Kyle Stebbins
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
this thread rules

Future user
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I watched bunches of the films and with a couple of exceptions, it was more a gorefest than a horror fest. Or maybe it was "How many different ways can we do the people hacking up other people" theme. While I realize my entry didn't get in until late due to upload problems and for whatever compression issues it looks rough, we went another direction than the splatter film. Self Promotion aside, take a look at our story.

Kholi
10-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Lakeside was probably the most Cinematic of all of them. Just had to throw that in there.

Dear Jane was very creative. I loved it.

Draco was the funniest, hands down. Am I promoting DRACO too much? DRACO!

What are you going to do? Stone me to death with pine cones?

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Nothings original.
But then again I have seen some VERY interesting films around here.

Kholi
10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I'm with JP. Nothing's original anymore. It's all a conglomerate of the content creator's favorite things in life, which are often derived from stories heard or pictures seen.

Original is in the presentation.

By the way, Broken Circle is pretty damned creative, JP.

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Cheers Kholi.
You know what the problem with originality is?? We've been telling stories in some form or another since the beginning.
Only I don't think that 'Flesh' came till later :)

TheatreGuy
10-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I thought that Halfway was pretty damn original... and scared the pants off me to boot!

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Halfway was way cool.

Kholi
10-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Cheers Kholi.
You know what the problem with originality is?? We've been telling stories in some form or another since the beginning.
Only I don't think that 'Flesh' came till later :)

FLESH the movie? The Horror-fest entry? Man...

I died laughing and skipped clean through it.

This fest had a lot of serious laugh out loud moments for me.

pmgmedia
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
FLESH the movie? The Horror-fest entry? Man...

I died laughing and skipped clean through it.

You're a regular Dr.Giggles

Darkline
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Kholi - what happened to Candy Gram?

it's a crime that isnt in the fest. Especially after all the work you did on the reviews. That's dedication, I think you and Brandon are out for some award!

Kyle Stebbins
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
i wondered that, too. -- there was "put on a happy face" but i couldve gone for another clown horror flick.

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
i wondered that, too. -- there was "put on a happy face" but i couldve gone for another clown horror flick.

Me too. WWWWHHHHYYYYYYY :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Kholi
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
You're a regular Dr.Giggles

I'm a laughing kind of guy. I laugh when my girlfriend slaps me for saying the wrong thing-- it's comedy.

And CANDY GRAM didn't make it into this fest because my day job got a lot better. Lots of opportunities to further my career flew my way and it was either put my nose to the concrete and get a shot at a larger salary or make a short; I chose the more secure future plan. Shame on me.

It worked out for me, though. I now have enough money saved to either invest in a Canon XH-A1 + lots of toys (m2, dolly, crane, etc.) or produce a shoe-string budgeted short movie to get funding for my work-in-progress feature script. I've pretty much decided on doing a short revolving around that, so I'll have updates really soon.

I reviewed all of the movies because everyone here deserved it for getting out and doing what Kholi did not do. And, I actually enjoyed doing it. I learned that people aren't as bad with criticism as I thought they would be. I hope I helped someone out; I know that I learned an assload from the lot of you on what I should and should not be doing when I go to shoot my short.

JoshuaNitschke
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Like dad's acting? :D

Man, I think if you could have heard me while I was editing you'd have thought I was watching an episode of Seinfeld or something.

Kohli you shoudl make Candy Gram. I really want to see it. :)

Kholi
10-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Like dad's acting? :D

Man, I think if you could have heard me while I was editing you'd have thought I was watching an episode of Seinfeld or something.

Dude, I'm sorry but I laughed.

Kholi: Wtf does he keep looking down for? And why does he sound like my Mac when I turn the voice thingy on. .. . . OH! LMFAO!!!!

Girlfriend: I thought you were watching horror movies?

Kholi: I AM! ROFL

I loved watching every single one of these.

I am so not making Candy Gram. I actually have clown toys that I invested in that are going to go to waste. I budgeted about two-hundred dollars just for clown dolls, toys, clocks-- to really sell the lead. All gone to waste.

I would've only done it for this fest, though. It's value to me isn't nearly as high as what I really want to get into.

JoshuaNitschke
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Dude, I'm sorry but I laughed.

Kholi: Wtf does he keep looking down for? And why does he sound like my Mac when I turn the voice thingy on. .. . . OH! LMFAO!!!!
lol! I just spat coffee all over my screen.

I am so not making Candy Gram. I actually have clown toys that I invested in that are going to go to waste. I budgeted about two-hundred dollars just for clown dolls, toys, clocks-- to really sell the lead. All gone to waste.

I would've only done it for this fest, though. It's value to me isn't nearly as high as what I really want to get into.
Bummer.

Send me a PM when you make something and display it, ok? So I can return the favor.

griffin
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I've only watched about 15 or so of these so far and did notice a lot of them did follow a standard horror format. I'm not saying that they were bad becuase of that, I found them to be entertaining. A lot of things follow and copy the same format. Take a look at anything, whether its clothes, movies, commercials, electronics, anything, everything copies something. It's hard to come up w/ an original idea. Taking an old, used idea and turning it into something new and putting a creative twist on something is good. It's like taking a chocolate chip cookie recipe that's been used for years and adding m&m's to it. The first person to do that took something that old and that's been done and made something great.

Two that I thought were original were Brown Waters & Crawl Space. I thought they both were done really well in many different aspects and enjoyed the stories behind them. There are still a lot of movies I haven't watched yet so I'm hoping that there'll be some more original ideas out there and some of the best 6 minute films I've ever seen.

Kholi
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
lol! I just spat coffee all over my screen.

Bummer.

Send me a PM when you make something and display it, ok? So I can return the favor.

Definitely. I'll try to make a lot of noise about it as soon as it goes into solid pre-production (casting, rehearsal, VFX test, etc.)

And, you probably don't want that coffee on your screen. I got Rice Milk on my 23" Cinema HD and there's a stain I'm afraid to wipe off. >=\

---------
In regards to the fest: Great entries. All were great efforts and Kholi is totally jealous.

gwmesler
10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
That being said, there were varying degrees of creativity within the genre in this fest, but I did notice some nice twists on old ideas. Jack's movie. The Blind Guy movie. Dear Jane. Even Bloody Mary,

Just for the record, "The Blind Guy movie" is called "Sneak" and can be seen by clicking below and following the link.

Matt Sconce
10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Just for the record, "The Blind Guy movie" is called "Sneak" and can be seen by clicking below and following the link.

The Blind Guy Movie........hehehe!!!! I liked Sneak!

MOVIE MASTER
10-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Awakening!!!!!!!!!

Directed By Cire
10-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Let me know if you think "Put on a Happy Face" has a creative concept?

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 09:46 PM

My bad, sorry.

luster
10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
"mecontentment" and "the sound from beyond" are also on my creative list.

MOVIE MASTER
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Awakening!

MOVIE MASTER
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Awakening! .................................

luster
10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
movie master: what did you think was the most creative thing about awakening?

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
uh.... MM... please stop spamming dude, haha!

Ralph Oshiro
10-10-2006, 01:47 AM
MOST CREATIVE PICKS OF HORRORFEST:

Conrad Johnson's Girl Next Door [My new top pick!]
Adam Montoya's Welcome
[B]Inexistence's Mécontentement
[B]Jeremy Poindexter's The Morning After [Most "festival-ready!"]
Edgen's Brown Waters [Highest Voight-Kampff score!]

Lingothree
10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Just saw Dear Jane...

Did anyone else spot the microphone cord in one of the shots? Unless it was rope, but looked more like a cord:huh: ?

It was rope. We didn't have any microphones. I swear.

Edgen
10-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Edgen's Brown Waters [Highest Voight-Kampff score!]

I'm gonna feel dumb, but wasn't this the machine in Blade Runner? Or, is there another meaning behind this?

- "Maliboo" stands in its own sandbox.

- "Mecontentement" was just so damn artsy and in a foreign language. I just assumed it was different.

-"Into the Darkness" was to me different than the norm. If he had a different title, it would hit you like a ton of bricks.

-"The Morning After" stood out in that it was like an after school special gone wrong on crack. :)

-"Untitled FIN" (jenningsp milk dude) was just out there. If you watched the bts his personality totally reflects the film. I'm not sure what cloud he's hanging at, but I'd like to visit briefly just to say i've been there.

I'm sure there's others. I can't wait to get started on the next one! I'll do three films this time. :)

/j

conrad_johnson
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Just saw Dear Jane...

I don't think it was a mic cord, because I didn't use any microphones!:)