PDA

View Full Version : Have You Turned In Your Ballot?

avatuar
10-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I have not turned in mine yet. I'm really trying to watch everything carefully. I wanted to see how many have voted... So have you voted?

macintosh
10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I have yet to turn in my ballot. Unfortunately I have only been able to watch about 5 of the films so far. I plan on doing a lot of catch up tomorrow, however.

Brandon Rice
10-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I have quite a few films on my ballot... about 50% finished... still need to watch several, and work on getting some more reviews up (21 out of 56 so far reviewed)

Robert Eldon
10-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I've finished watching all of the films and rating them on my ballot. Now, I'm going through them again to see if my original ratings were what I expected.

I'll probably turn mine in Thursday, Oct. 12.

Do we get to see the ratings for our films? That would be informative, especially if everyone doesn't have time to do individual reviews.

Michael_Petro
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
about 60 % on first go round got aways to go b4 I turn mine in

VersuS
10-07-2006, 10:22 PM
nope, but i ve turned in my wings ....(sorry just watched top gun)

Dario Nieva
10-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Nope, not done watching them all yet :)

JoshuaNitschke
10-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I got 30 left. And lots of homework and studying for midterms to do.

Curses!

jpbankesmercer
10-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Your kidding right?

DarkMatter
10-08-2006, 05:48 AM
I can't download the ballot for some reason?

Darkline
10-08-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm finding this tricky to mark.

I'm finding some films I thought were not mind blowing are getting higher overall scores than others I really liked.

What is everyone else here doing? adjust the numbers/categories until we think the overall score reflects that of the film as a whole?

mameragex
10-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah. I don't know what it is but I got the same feeling.

JoshuaNitschke
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Your kidding right?
No, why?

Edit: The possibility that that post was directed at the OP just dawned on me.

Carry on.

VersuS
10-08-2006, 12:16 PM

I'm finding some films I thought were not mind blowing are getting higher overall scores than others I really liked.

What is everyone else here doing? adjust the numbers/categories until we think the overall score reflects that of the film as a whole?

I'm posting publicly the following I PM'd a dvxuser. Since Darkline had that feeling I thought I'd share my thoughts in case it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VFX: for this category I tried to rate all the CG,blood,props and special fx done with the NLEs...anything that influenced the image that didnt have to do with cinematography...

Cinematography: on this one I rated the direction, lights and generally how well they had planned their shots...locations and how you take advantage of them was a factor as well, frames also and angles, excessive use or not....and tried to see which ones were directed like Santa Barbara and which ones like a real movie...

Editing: well this one...I think it has to do with cuts, transitions, how smooth a story is...if there are boring parts...if there are things like that 180 in Dream Com...stuff that left you wondering about the shots...

SOund: my best bit...I couldnt but put a 4-6 to most of them...however in some cases the sound in some movies in comparison was above average so that scored high...I want the same attention to detail people showed in editing/cinematography to have been shown in audio as well...I dont think most people gave much thought to sound

Score: well this one puzzled me....I tried to listen to the music and score...see if they were original...fit the mood and scenes....and if they were worked out well...couldnt stop thinking about the work my brother did so I was very strict on that...I for example, am not fan of the scores Edgen does...they are marvellous but its not my daily cup of coffee...still knowing he really works on them in a professional way and tries to write original pieces I put a high mark on his work...

Screenplay: this one was fun....I tried to keep in mind the horror genre..so mecontentement though a great story, scored low on my ballot since its not horror...and I was also a bit tough on movies whose stories either I couldnt follow with my first viewing or there was no real plot that stood out (like Lost Lake Drive, ok someone's in the house, something happens...all this something is not a script IMHO)

Acting: well...what can I say on this one...I hate forced acting and I am quite tough on people who put non-actors to play parts with lots of dialogue and emotions and screams...if they cant deliver then try something else......its like a beauty contest...if you re not pretty then dont show up (I am so strict only with sound and acting, and believe me, when I did Love which had me going around shooting myself...I tried to be as simple as possible...falling down while looking at the pictures in the living room gave me a sour knee for 1 week since I landed horribly on the floor...check it out one more time and see how funny it is knowing I really landed hard, so I say this coz I prefer to go all the way then exaggerate or force something as I did with trashing my room - actually the lesbian scene with Petro's work works great as acting coz it was not forced, the girls enjoyed it...so I prefer this than something over the top)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing my rough ballot as it is I am comfortable with the way marks went. The ones I liked scored high and vice versa. There were some films that I wasnt really interested as a whole like THe Morning After, but breaking it down in categories scored high overall because it had to.

All in all, its not about preference actually but judging objectively. I only used my preference factor when I felt that in some cases movies in certain categories had to score higher because I knew how much work had been made by the film makers and the resources they had in hand....

Beat Takeshi
10-08-2006, 12:30 PM

I start everyone with 5s and then mark them as I see it but I watch all the films first or otherwise you wind up going back a lot adjusting as you see better films.
I don't I have given 10 across the board to anyone because there is always something that could use work. Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.

Brandon Rice
10-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.

Hm. I don't usually do that... my film is not the top scoring on my ballot.

Norm Sanders
10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't I have given 10 across the board to anyone because there is always something that could use work. Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.

I'm no where near done scoring & watching them all yet ... and even further behind on the comments in the threads, because I've been putting everything into a Word.doc that I'll post in all the threads when I'm ready.

No film for me has rec'd 10's across except Jack's, and even that was reduced to a lowly 9 in one category ... otherwise, for me, it's near perfect.

I'll admit that I'm probably biased to some degree with my own films, but I've never ranked it as 10's across, and it's NEVER even ranked the highest on my own sheet ... though I do wonder how many others do this, which also makes me wonder if I'm at a disadvantage for not marking my with straight 10's if others are for their own.

I'd love it if our votes for our own films didn't count ... it would even the playing field then.

JoshuaNitschke
10-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.
I'm not scoring mine at all.

jpbankesmercer
10-08-2006, 03:17 PM
No, why?

Edit: The possibility that that post was directed at the OP just dawned on me.

Carry on.

Sorry Virum, should have quoted the original OP.
It's just I havn't got through them all yet and voting!!! Maybe by thursday night! :)
Plus I don't wanna score until I've seen them all. That's why I've not put my top 3 out yet.
Don't think I'm scoring mine either.
Jp

Darkline
10-08-2006, 05:26 PM
its a bit odd if some people give their movie 10 across the board and others dont....

personally I dont think you should be allowed to vote on your own film. I think we're all a bit too close to them to view them objectively.

Matt Sconce
10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
The only real answer at this time is to figure 10s across the board is the default for your own flick. If you don't mark that, then you will be at a disadvantage, but if everyone does, no one will be at a disadvantage as it will cancel out the scores. This is what people should do, in my opinion, until the system is designed to not count the filmmakers scores on his/her own movie.

Darkline
10-09-2006, 04:54 AM
its either one or the other. maybe we should have a poll. I think we either leave ourselves blank or go for the 10 - to cancel our votes out.

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 06:58 AM
How are you guys going to vote for the one-shot takes in the editing field>?

It's great to have all the seperate fields to score on but I think it's a major mistake. Some films have no score, some very little dialouge. Also I know it's going to be a nightmare filling those fields in.

Bring back 1-10. Overall :)

Darkline
10-09-2006, 08:23 AM
my view on it JP is that the choice 'not to edit' is an editing decision. and in your case a good one.

avatuar
10-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I like the way it is now. The way I vote is if the score fit the picture and in that possibly lack of score. Then it scores high! etc. If i'm entertained by it and it does not distract my attention to the other things score, story, vfx and so on that's the highest achievment of all I like how it is now. It allows me to target in some films the one thing that ruined it for me or did best for me. It also forces people to think about their decsions more. So I was really happy to see the new ballot.

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM

IMO, the one shot was your editing choice, and in this case a GREAT one, your film scored very high in the editing field, because I REALLY liked that choice.

Mark Harris
10-09-2006, 09:54 AM

It's great to have all the seperate fields to score on but I think it's a major mistake. Some films have no score, some very little dialouge. Also I know it's going to be a nightmare filling those fields in.

Bring back 1-10. Overall :)

Haha sucka, not such a clever idea NOW, is it???? Muahahahhaahaaa!!!! :):)

j/k, I think that serves AS an editing decision in itself.

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Haha sucka, not such a clever idea NOW, is it???? Muahahahhaahaaa!!!! :):)

j/k, I think that serves AS an editing decision in itself.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I think that serves AS an editing decision in itself.

Precisely, as I wrote above :)

Larry Rutledge
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
IMO, the one shot was your editing choice, and in this case a GREAT one, your film scored very high in the editing field, because I REALLY liked that choice.

Agreed, I think that is the main point of the ballot. How well, in your opinion, did the filmmaker make use of each of the categories. If the filmmaker didn't include something (multiple edit cuts, artificial lighting, score, etc), but it works for that filmmakers film, then they should get a 10 (or less if it only sort of worked).

The idea of this fest is to encourage filmmakers to get off their hind end and make a film. The ballot is a way to let that filmmaker know if his/her choices in the various categories worked for those viewing.

And you should be as objective as you can in scoring. For example, you may not personally like a particular cinematography style (e.g. shaky cam for high energy/fast action, etc), but if it is executed well and/or fits the story and/or style of the film, then the filmmaker should get a high mark on the ballot.

Remember this whole contest is about making wannabe filmmakers into actual filmmakers, and then making those actual filmmakers into better filmmakers by getting honest, fair, real feedback on what worked and what didn't work.

I think we, as filmmakers, sometimes forget that films are made for audiences. So even if we LOVE doing something (e.g. dolly zooms, etc). If audiences are tired of seeing them, or taken out of the experience, then we need to consider that is a bad choice. And this festival is a great way to experiment and develop our unique style that still entertains an audience.

Anyway, just my $0.01 9/10

Peace,
Larry

JoshuaNitschke
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
15 more to go... :O

TimurCivan
10-09-2006, 10:31 PM
2 more... to go....

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
like 10 more to go...

Norm Sanders
10-09-2006, 11:36 PM
When are they due anyway?

Brandon Rice
10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Friday

Norm Sanders
10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Boy I've got to get crackin'! Thanks Brandon! I'm assuming that's by midnight on Friday (PST).

Brandon Rice
10-10-2006, 12:02 AM
yes sir :)

Brandon Rice
10-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Ok, all done, about to send it off. Good luck everyone!

My top 5 in no particular order....

Broken Circle
Dead Inside
Rekindled
Bloody Mary
Memories

Gauranga
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
I was away for most of the week so I've got like 35 left to watch. Ugh! I'll be up all night!

TimurCivan
10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
IN. its out of my hands now......

Gauranga
10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Done and......... done.

Ballot turned in. I can't wait to see the results.

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Done, I'm outta here.
J.P.

Chris Messineo
10-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I got mine in this morning.

In the future it would be great if they could allow 2 weeks to view the films.

Watching all of these in 1 week was fun but tough.

Chris

Jarred Land
10-13-2006, 12:35 PM
ha ha thats part of the fun Chris :) i agree though.. two weeks would be a little better with all the films we have had.

Blaine
10-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Got mine in this morning.

Texture
10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Its gonna be a late night here on the east coast, gotta do it TONIGHT!!!

khmuse
10-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't download the ballot for some reason?

Send Brandon a PM, I am certain he can email you the latest version.

Oh, and I sent mine in late last night.

Brandon Rice
10-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, took care of getting MOVIE STUNTS a ballot :) He's all set.

spidey
10-13-2006, 01:14 PM
i finally got too. yay!

TheatreGuy
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Done!!!!!!!!!

Michael_Petro
10-13-2006, 01:33 PM
should be done b4 the deadline I HOPE!!! also i didn't see a catagory for best lesbian scene, did I get the wrong ballot?

macintosh
10-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Almost finished. Just a few left.

Mark Harris
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Whew, just finished!

steve2bees
10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Several left to go.

Edgen
10-13-2006, 03:28 PM
shew!! that was tough.
Ya know.. i had like 5 ties for 2nd place. Is that bad? Did anyone else have a lot of ties too?

/j

Grant
10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
just finished with 31 min left to go.........

Michael_Petro
10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
done and done nice :)

macintosh
10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Finally finished...Unfortunately, there were some films that just didn't want to play on my computer, so I had to leave some blank :(
And now to go back and write my reviews.

Scrappy
10-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Can't get the little excel download thingy to register my votes. Oh well, I tried.

Cryogenic Filmworks
10-14-2006, 12:02 AM
I voted for what I was able to watch. Thanks to Maxtor I lost them all. Congrats to everyone that was able to get something done. Good luck to all.

Lingothree
10-14-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think this survey actually works...

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
it can't work because the samples are takin at different times
for ex, when I responded I hadn't
but now I have