PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic PV-GS300 What do you think?

richke
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey everyone i'm new to the community and I was recommended to this for the Sony Vegas forums and i thought since i'm going to pick up my first video camera i would throw you guys a question. I wanted the Canon XL2 but after i found out the $900 Ebay price was a scam i looked and found somehting more in my price range Panasonic PV-GS300 for $599 at ABC warehouse. Curious if anyone has used this or been around it. I am hoping to start making some Indie/Amatuer fiilms and i'm hoping this can do the trick Video wise...any ideas?

Or recomendations?

Chris Stearns
10-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey richke, and welcome aboard.

I picked up a gs300 a couple of months back as a little sister to my dvx, and I've been quite impressed so far. It has manual control for iris, shutter, white balance, and focus, which is nice but control is via joystick/menu (takes a little getting used to). The colors match the dvx pretty close, but obviously the resolution is about half due to the ccds' size compared to the dvx's.

If you're using Vegas and you're going for a film-look, you can easily transform the 60i footage into 24p and have really nice results. After I de-interlace footage from my gs300 and drop it in with shots from my dvx, it mixes really well.

richke
10-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Chris thanks man...I have Vegas 4 and i basically just use it for minor things since i never had a video camera and i basically used it with a game called :"The Movies" so all those tech words you through out there make no sense to me :) ...but i know now that i have(or soon to have) a decent camera i will be diving further into the Vegas world.

Thanks again and i hope to be a frequent viewer of these boards.,

richke
10-09-2006, 06:39 AM
picked it up at Curcuit City for $474 :)

I dont think thats too bad for my first camera...hopefully i will be able to make some decent films with it., Obvious more dialog type movies...but we will see.