PDA

View Full Version : So, who does everyone like so far?

DimmuJed
10-06-2006, 02:56 AM
So what film is your favorite so far?

Zenon
10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
I've only watched a few. So far Rekindled looks good, well shot etc.

There are some pretty damn awful ones though! Makes me really wish I entered mine in time!

Looking forward to watching the rest.

Matt Sconce
10-06-2006, 03:54 AM
My favorite is "Stricken" wait er...ummm....I mean......I'll get back to ya.......:cheesy:

Seriously though, I have a folder for the ones that absolutely blew me away and only three movies are in there right now. Many have been pretty good, but 3 went above and beyond so far to me: Rekindled, Bloody Mary, and The Seeing. I have not watched all of the films yet and have quite a few more to go, so I hope more join the ranks. :)

Ralph Oshiro
10-06-2006, 04:10 AM
Conrad Johnson's Girl Next Door [My new top pick!]
Adam Montoya's Welcome
[B]Jeremy Poindexter's The Morning After [Most "festival-ready!"]
Jeremy Hyler's Reunion
[B]Geoff Reisner's Project 47: Chaos [This film kicks f####n' a##!]
Theater Guy's I.D.
[B]Edgen's Brown Waters [Highest Voight-Kampff score!]
Maliboo BTS and Marius' Killer Sound [Tied for best laugh!]

Lake Films
10-06-2006, 04:20 AM
So far, "Lakeside"

Noel Evans
10-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Havent watched too many as yet but Bloody Mary rocked.... nice in every way. Have to say in all honesty the quality of the fest films seems to have taken a big leap forward from everyone. All I can say is GREAT JOB TO EVERYONE!

Jaime V
10-06-2006, 06:33 AM
I only got a chance to watch the first 7, but so far Bloody Mary is my favorite.

I can't wait to get outta work so I can watch the rest!

Brandon Rice
10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
So far, Broken Circle, and Bloody Mary, and Memories are my faves

pmgmedia
10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Watched quite a few so far..for starters I really liked 'Runway' for cinematography...Rekindled for art direction... Every single one I have seen so far has its moments.

My favorite moments so far: in "Reunion" - that scene where the old lady chainsaws the guy's head off and the body slides down the wall.

And the park ranger's over the top performance in 'Lakeside.'

spidey
10-06-2006, 07:04 AM
thanks pmg :) you'll make my friend happy you said that :)

Glideshot
10-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Only watched about 15 so far, and my votes don't count, but:

I thought the acting and screenplay in Bloody Mary was superb.
The Cinematography in Buffalo Sampson is my favorite thus far.

sean90291
10-06-2006, 08:15 AM
I loved...

The Girl Next Door
The Commitment (starts off way too slow...but it's worth it)

conrad_johnson
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Then the title is fitting:)

conrad_johnson
10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
btw - My favorites so far are ID and Buffalo Samson.

Beat Takeshi
10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Bloody Mary, Lakeside, Writers block, Halfway.
Stricken for best non counting flick.

Lingothree
10-06-2006, 09:24 AM
5B for sure. That one surprised me.

zenbarai
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, check out MEAT! It was submitted on time, but it didn't get put on the download sites until last night.

It's a six-minute roller-coaster ride of terror... :zombie_smiley:

J.R. Hudson
10-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I am about 3/4 of the way through and have these I have really enjoyed so far:

Runway, Lakeside, 5B, Bloody Mary, Jacks, Dead Inside, Dear Jane, Girl Next Door, Hellbor, Project47, Reunion ....

Lakeside has entertained me the most so far by pure cinema standards

Cynic821
10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Buffalo Samson is probably the only one ive enjoyed but hurt it for me was the virus that has spread around here of lacking an ending. But still the highest avg by probably 2 whole points on my chart.

DimmuJed
10-06-2006, 09:44 AM
My favorite would have to be Gorsehill Farms. It actually made me jump, and it doesn't have the feel of every other short film, with it's three acts, and obscene amounts of "artsy-ness" and the music is amazing. The footage is crisp and clear, and the end scene is just great. I won't ruin it for those of you that haven't seen it, but you will be impressed.

So do yourselves a favor, and watch GORSEHILL FARMS!!!

Mark Harris
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Just off the top of my head from what I've seen so far:

Dear Jane, The Seeing, Stricken, Broken Circle...

Tom Marshall
10-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm voting for Bloody Mary! I'll give a review when I'm not here at work... but, suffice to say, I thought it was well executed.

mameragex
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
With my title starting with "T" or "W" Puts me all the way down to the fourth folder. So I'm not even sure many have even seen mine or if The others who already skimmed to see their favorites first will bother to view it.

The movie I liked most "OTHER THAN MINE OF COURSE" would be Buffalo Samson. As for the rest of you. GO SEE "THE WAITING KINDRED" NOW! lol:laugh:

Dario Nieva
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
So far I am really liking "Urine Trouble" and "Developed".

Inexistence
10-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I've watched a few as of lastnight and I was impressed. I can't say I have a
favorite as of yet but of the ones I have seen I'd say Cure for Writers Block No. 9,
Crawl Space I liked despite some technical problems, more later. Some of the
higher quality work seemed underdeveloped in the storyline and rather conventional
in approach. I need to run through everything tonight and take notes.

Cynic821
10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Some of the
higher quality work seemed underdeveloped in the storyline and rather conventional
in approach.

You seem to be thinking the way i am with a majority of the what everyone is going insane for "Great" entrys. Im curious what you thought about mine, be sure to drop a line on my thread if you have the time...thanks :dankk2: :Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

Inexistence
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Will do. Checking it out tonight Cynic821.

What I've been seeing is as the visual quality goes up the story quality goes
way down. Ultimately I see longevity in very few. I'm just being honest
as I would hope many would be in this fest.

Cynic821
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I dont think too many are being honest, i plan on being VERY honest, im just picking my time to debut my reviews.

Tom Marshall
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Cynic, I'll make sure you swing by your thread after work, when I have more time... I'm at work right now and my boss could walk through the door at any minute... lol

But that brings up a good point... I don't want to be harsh with any of the entries in that I would just piss people off... or should I just give honest criticism, even if it's 99% negative? It's not that it would be harshly ripping people a new one, but hopefully they could learn from my input.

I wouldn't have any input to give on cinematography or anything like that, since it's just not my thing. I would strictly be judging on story, character development, and the acting.

Brandon Rice
10-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I dont think too many are being honest

I think my reviews are being pretty honest, with tact of course :)

Cynic821
10-06-2006, 10:52 AM
doesnt have to be your thing in order to give an opinion on it. Just give an opinion on it. Something that has been irkin me on some reviews ive been reading are stuff like "I think its not good, but what do it know" for example. Everyone is making excuses for the creator of the movie...i dont think thats neccessary.

TimurCivan
10-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Honesty is good. Dont hold punches.

LOVED Broken Circle. Loved The Awakening, its really got that, Cult film Absurd but awesome quality. Movie master was right..... The Gates of Terroer were oepn for a full 6 minutes.!!!!!

Tom Marshall
10-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I do have an eye for looks good and what doesn't, but I couldn't give any suggestions in those aspects... I do want to say, before I get to your review, that I dug the dvxuser keychain!!!

Homey is good. Dont hold punches.

Then so shall it be... I'll start offering my input for each one when I have the time... I've got a shoot in a week and I have to get ready for it!!!

Steve_Arm
10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm still on a viewing marathon, so far : 5B, Rekindled, Buffalo & Bloody Mary.
Cynic your film is great too.

Cynic821
10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
:) thanks..

ya i saw the typo'ed "HOMEY is good." too, LOL. I was like hrmmm?

http://assets.m80im.com/teams/inlivingcolor/homey_2b.gif

Tom Marshall
10-06-2006, 11:01 AM
LOL!!!! Where did it go from homey to honesty???? Man, Timur, you should have left it as homey! :D

greeches
10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
so far: Buffalo, bloody mary, rekindled....

Kholi
10-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I've been going down the list in Alphabetical Order and so far?

Broken Circle by JP
Dear Jane by Lingothree
Edit: LAKESIDE! - how could I forget that?
Bloody Mary by Timur and Mark
Draco (Forgot who that was) -- I watched this movie eight times in the last day. It's the most hilarious thing I've ever seen on DVXuser.

I really can't wait to get to more, but I'm reviewing EVERY SINGLE movie in this fest. People did hard work to get them in and everyone deserves a full-blown review. At least I can give that.

insanityfw
10-06-2006, 11:06 AM
So far Bloody Mary (as an instant classic), Lakeside (glossy, teen-flick) and Writers Block (for the artsy me).

TimurCivan
10-06-2006, 11:08 AM
butter fingers..... sorry. you'd be amazed how many times i THINK i hit the record button......

Beat Takeshi
10-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Thats what the word "rolling" is for.

jpbankesmercer
10-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Trying to get throu em all. Promise I will AND leave feedback...up to now and I ain't seen loads...trying to review as I go.

Broken Circle :) Bloody Mary, Urine Trouble, Rekindled , 5b, Brown waters, ID, R.E.M.

Kholi
10-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I dont think too many are being honest, i plan on being VERY honest, im just picking my time to debut my reviews.

I'm being pretty honest in my reviews... or at least I thought I was. If I went ga-ga over something I had a pretty good reason for it. And right now, the only films I went Ga-Ga over was Broken Circle and Lakeside.

I also died laughing at Draco, it's gotten the most complete watches out of me. Freaking hilarious.

Buffalo Samson's lack of an ending isn't a virus-- there's no ending at all. Guy gets slammed on a table by Buffalo... okay so where did Buffalo come from? Is Buffalo really that chic? If it's that chic, how did she over-power her entire group of associates?

I don't like this thing that starts... with people disliking what everyone else chooses as a good short. If you want people to respect your opinions you should respect theirs as well. Not hint at them simply choosing their favorites based on visuals. By doing that you're insulting people.

Just my thoughts.

And hey, I give detailed Reviews. Not just "OMG IT WAS GOOD!".

Mark Harris
10-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Draco should be added to my list. Please, please go watch Draco.

Beat Takeshi
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Yes, your reviews have been really good and thorough. I am going to try to use your format when I watch them all and go back for a full review.

VersuS
10-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Draco should be added to my list. Please, please go watch Draco.

If not you're gonna shoot me? :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Mark Harris
10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
If not you're gonna shoot me? :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Dude, I just started cracking up again..."Why did you shoot me?"

VersuS
10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I KNOW! loooool

Blaine
10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I've seen everything once now, and as of the first round of view, the one that stands above the others for me is The Seeing.

TimurCivan
10-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Mark doesnt shoot people he crushes them wit ha giant war hammer.

Kholi
10-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Dude, I just started cracking up again..."Why did you shoot me?"

ROFLMFAO. I just spit on the screen. L M F A O

zenbarai
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
The best one I've seen so far (despite being of course biased about my own entry) is Rekindled. It's very creative, unusual, clever and well-executed.

But I also gotta say that everyone so far has great things going on in their films.

Cheers,
Ben

TimurCivan
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I've seen everything once now, and as of the first round of view, the two that stand above the others for me are The Seeing and Project 47.

i loved The seeing!!!! Project 47 is in like 6th place with me.

Saiaf
10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Lakeside, Bloody marry and Buffalo Sampson were fabulous. Rekindled was pretty sweet too.

david jerome
10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Only half way through. So far favorites are,
Broken Circle
Bloody Mary

Edgen
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
"Project 47", & "buffalo Samson".

"Runway" for non-competing

/j

Darkline
10-06-2006, 05:54 PM
you can be honest and be constructive. theres no point in ripping something to pieces if you cant suggest where it could be improved. Its also true that you get to a certain level and it isnt just black and white. I'm trying to be honest but be encouraging too. We're all film-makers and we want to learn and improve, but not feel we wasted our time comepletey and should be working in wall-mart :-)

That said my faves so far are Broken Circle, Rekindled, and third place is tieing between a few at the moment - i have 30 left to see tho!

Kyle Stebbins
10-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Dario Nieva (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=7629), thanks man! - and it seems like zenbarai really likes his own stuff... i havent read a post of his where he didnt mention his own film.

anyways, they all rock!

RebeccaD
10-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Trying to get throu em all. Promise I will AND leave feedback...up to now and I ain't seen loads...trying to review as I go.

Broken Circle :) Bloody Mary, Urine Trouble, Rekindled , 5b, Brown waters, ID, R.E.M.

Thank you, Norm mentioned your film and I look forward to viewing it as well. I have also especially liked Bloody Mary and Rekindled. In Bloody Mary I was sufficiently scared. :kiss:

mameragex
10-06-2006, 08:29 PM
:eek:Oooh! Ohh! pick me!

Barry_Green
10-06-2006, 09:16 PM
You are so right on that. I haven't seen anyone talk about this pic yet, I don't know if it's because they didn't like it or they didn't stick it out to the end or because there's no individual thread that's named "the commitment" or whatever but dang... I mean, admittedly it's midnight and I'm in the dark watching this stuff but -- this is the first one that got me actually a little bit scared! Nice job, jeans!

Lingothree
10-06-2006, 09:17 PM
:eek:Oooh! Ohh! pick me!

Sorry, I'm not picking you. But if you said that to me if I was picking teams for dodgeball, I'd totally pick you first.

I am picking The Morning After, though, which I forgot to mention earlier.

insanityfw
10-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I'm not picking you. But if you said that to me if I was picking teams for dodgeball, I'd totally pick you first.

Huh?

jeans
10-06-2006, 10:28 PM
You are so right on that. I haven't seen anyone talk about this pic yet, I don't know if it's because they didn't like it or they didn't stick it out to the end or because there's no individual thread that's named "the commitment" or whatever but dang... I mean, admittedly it's midnight and I'm in the dark watching this stuff but -- this is the first one that got me actually a little bit scared! Nice job, jeans!

Wow, thanks Barry. I'm glad you stuck it out to the end. About the thread, I started mine before I had a title and I wasn't sure if I should make another one to title it "The Commitment". Do you think that I should. As it is, it's titled "screen grabs of test shots CC"
I've been holding off on commenting on others movies until I watch them all. I've got a kind of slow connection. Thus far my favorites have been, Gorsehill Farm, Meat, and Bloody Mary.

DimmuJed
10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
i'd have to say, as a junior member I never thought my thread ( i think like third thread) would ever make it this far haha. Bonus points to me :)

mameragex
10-07-2006, 12:44 AM

I am picking The Morning After, though, which I forgot to mention earlier. Heh! That's fine. I'm not really picking you either. ha ha.:beer:

Matt Sconce
10-07-2006, 03:44 AM
hmmmm.....I am going to make a prediction and we will see if I am right. I think the top three in no particular order will be: Rekindled, The Seeing, Bloody Mary. I could definitely be wrong, but that is my guess. I think either Bloody Mary or Rekindled will win the HVX. I have loved a ton of other films, but I just think this is the way it will play out. Those three movies blew me away.

Michael_Petro
10-07-2006, 07:03 AM
havent seen them all yet but this is what I got so far

Rekindled, ID, Bloody Mary, Meat, Draco

"ID" still gets me, After reading his thread doing the one man crew thing seeing the equipment he had, I said how good can this be. WELL I was schooled I tell ya. lesson learned.

mobiledeli
10-07-2006, 07:40 AM
call me crazy, but i did not like bloody mary at alll

jpbankesmercer
10-07-2006, 07:42 AM
and Broken Circle :)

Michael_Petro
10-07-2006, 07:47 AM

naw your not crazy...i'v seen about half these films and some I dont like, but I read the comments and there getting loads of praise go figure... I have actually met people who DIDN'T like "plan nine from outerspace" fries my brain I tell ya :)

Magicchildfilms
10-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I thought the acting/script in bloody mary for the most part was top notch!:) , I was just kinda dissapointed with the overall look of the film... IMO

Barry_Green
10-07-2006, 09:23 AM
I started mine before I had a title and I wasn't sure if I should make another one to title it "The Commitment". Do you think that I should. As it is, it's titled "screen grabs of test shots CC"

I renamed it so it's now "The Commitment by jeans"

MOVIE MASTER
10-07-2006, 09:33 AM

crazy! I woud have to say 1 Bloddy marry 2 halfway 3 the awakening

Kyle Stebbins
10-07-2006, 09:53 AM
1 rekindled 2 bloody mary 3 id

jpbankesmercer
10-07-2006, 10:34 AM
crazy! I woud have to say 1 Bloddy marry 2 halfway 3 the awakening

Umm strange that :)

VersuS
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
1 rekindled
2 bloody mary
3 halfway
4 reunion
5 ID

Robert Eldon
10-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I've watched all of the films now and done my initial ratings. I found that the first one's that I watched got a higher score than the later ones and it's because I didn't have anything to compare to. Now, I'm watching them again and scoring more 'fairly', if you will.

My rating is based on a relative score to all of the entries and also what my expectations are for a 'fest' of this type. For me, a '5' is an average rating.

I liked "Bloody Mary", but it didn't make my top 10. Now I'm trying to do reviews for each film.

I'd rather not say what my top ten are right now, as to not sway or bias any other opinions.

I must add however, GREAT JOB EVERYONE! Everyone that got out and created a film should be rewarded.

zenbarai
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I think one of the cool things about making a short is that there seems to be one (sometimes more) particular thing you get to practice how to do. Could be a CG thing, could be an actor thing, music thing, etc. For us is was handling actors and the music mainly, although we learned so much about everything. (The dummy that squirts blood took 16 hours to build!)

But each one of these flicks has something really cool about them, and it's just a "killer" way to build filmmaking chops.

Ben

Matt Sconce
10-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree with you Zenbarai! Each time I have seen the work from people in thses contest, their stuff has just improved! Definitely like a film course with hands on experience (hands on is the best way to learn I think)

I was shocked and appalled by herofest voting in some aspect. Genious movies getting 18th or something like that, so I hope that people are voting for the films who actually delivered in every category. From what I've seen in this forum, due to people's varied tastes, it could be anybodies game.

Robert Eldon
10-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I was shocked and appalled by herofest voting in some aspect. Genious movies getting 18th or something like that, so I hope that people are voting for the films who actually delivered in every category. From what I've seen in this forum, due to people's varied tastes, it could be anybodies game.

I agree with the 'varied tastes'. I say 'to each their own' and 'different strokes for different folks'. There have been a variety of sub-genre's within this fest. Which has been fun. I think some people are in to different kinds of films than others. I'm not real familiar with the "horror" genre, but it seems that there is the 'slasher', 'super-natural', 'creature', 'just plain creepy killer dude', 'urinals', 'sounds', and 'clowns'. What did I miss?

I also found that while some exceeded in cinematography, they may have lacked in sound, or acting. Or vice-versa.

It's been fun and educational.

jpbankesmercer
10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Personally for me, I’m just glad that I finally made a film that got noticed a little bit and had an impact on some of the people.
I was in the wilderness not knowing what to do with myself, or my career. Reading some of the generous feedback given for Broken Circle is enough for me to carry on. Maybe I do have something to say with my Direction. So I’m happy. :)

TimurCivan
10-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Halfway was soooooooo good.

I REALLLY like that one. IT was edited so smoothly, despite teh choppy lighting. you didnt even notice the cuts. and the ghost was soooo spooky. Really got to me. i am particularly afraid of horror films involving televisions. ( poltergeist when i was 5 scarred me for life) Ring made me almost cry when Naaoimi watts picks the fly off thescreen, creeped me out somemthign fierce. Halfway Got to me in the same way.

The commitment Was FAntastic. The scaries part, was when the guy looks back at the girl thorugh the peep hole. the quality of his face was so eerie. so great.

Rekindled, while not perfect, has somuch potential, that i gotta love it. The record player opening was the BEST!!!!! that was awesome.

1 Halfway
2 Commitment
3 Rekindled.

( of course im rooting for Bloody mary too....... ;) )

Ralph Oshiro
10-08-2006, 04:57 AM
My favorite moments so far: in "Reunion" - that scene where the old lady chainsaws the guy's head off and the body slides down the wall.I agree. Probably the best horror shot in the fest!

TheatreGuy
10-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I like Bloody Mary, Halfway, Girl Next Door, Dear Jane, Broken Circle, Rekindled and Mine (of course!), I.D.

There are many others that I have liked but the ones above (well, maybe excluding mine!!!) are the ones that were complete and well done (to me).

There is one, like Crawl Space which I liked a lot, but seemed the audio had some weird echo and some other tech. flaws which leaves it off the top of the list.

jpbankesmercer
10-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Cheers TheatreGuy

Mark Johnson
10-08-2006, 06:01 AM
I'm an I.D. fan myself. TheatreGuy performed pound for pound above the bar with nothing in the way of a crew and little in the way of equipment. Plus, I just saw on the Cafe thread that one of the guys from New York did a Literary Forensic Analysis of the threads and determined that TheatreGuy and MovieMaster are the same person. Brilliant!!!! Talk about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. ....

FROM CINEALMA: F*ck, f*ck, f*cking, f*ck! This one was pretty f*cking good.

musicman
10-08-2006, 09:27 AM

I did like elements of Bloody Mary but would not place it in the top 5. Too bad because the audio, character development and location settings were very good, in my humble opinion. What started off as a clear storyline broke up along the way leaving me confused. The final bathtub scene did not scare me. Maybe it was a little too long because eventually I found myself almost laughing. I'm not trying to tear this excellent effort down, only shed light on the two elements that could be reworked to guarantee this would be a contendor. And if it is anyway, may I eat my microphone.

TheatreGuy
10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm an I.D. fan myself. TheatreGuy performed pound for pound above the bar with nothing in the way of a crew and little in the way of equipment. Plus, I just saw on the Cafe thread that one of the guys from New York did a Literary Forensic Analysis of the threads and determined that TheatreGuy and MovieMaster are the same person. Brilliant!!!! Talk about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. ....

What??????????????????????????????????????

I mean.....

WATT 666 ??????????????????????????????????????

:grin:

Beat Takeshi
10-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Personally for me, Iím just glad that I finally made a film that got noticed a little bit and had an impact on some of the people.
I was in the wilderness not knowing what to do with myself, or my career. Reading some of the generous feedback given for Broken Circle is enough for me to carry on. Maybe I do have something to say with my Direction. So Iím happy. :)

I think your film was very ambitious and deserves a nod. Not many people take chances like this and its refreshing. It may not score high from how the votes have been but so what, you went and experimented instead of rehashing the same formula. If people say hey this just like so and so director and whatnot that just shows unoriginality and I think is not a good compliment. Who wants to be like someone else? Your art should be your own. People should know your work as its own. If someone says hey thats just like...then its time to dig deeper inside yourself.

Slappydappy
10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Most of the films I thought were really bad. Almost all of them were completely incoherent and ripped off other films like Saw and Hostel or were just flat out unoriginal.

I don't know why people tried to cram so much stuff into 6 minutes. About the only film that was coherent from beginning to end was Sneak and maybe a small handful of other ones.

Some of these people should never touch a camera again for the rest of their lives.

VersuS
10-08-2006, 02:02 PM
hear hear

(loser)

Brandon Rice
10-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't know why people tried to cram so much stuff into 6 minutes.

Try, Into the Darkness :)

Slappydappy
10-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I can't the link is broken or something.

Brandon Rice
10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
hm... lemme check that!

http://www.nrestudios.com/horror_mirror/IntotheDarkness-BrandonRice-BrandonRice.mov

jpbankesmercer
10-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I think your film was very ambitious and deserves a nod. Not many people take chances like this and its refreshing. It may not score high from how the votes have been but so what, you went and experimented instead of rehashing the same formula. If people say hey this just like so and so director and whatnot that just shows unoriginality and I think is not a good compliment. Who wants to be like someone else? Your art should be your own. People should know your work as its own. If someone says hey thats just like...then its time to dig deeper inside yourself.

Cheers Aram, didn't think you liked it that much. I don't think I'm going to win. Just wanted to try and stretch my chops a little. It's a bonus that I've had an impact on a few people. I'm not a great overall filmmaker just seriously trying hard to be creative and work on directing actors. Think I need a Producer (Any offers from the U.K.?) Or in fact I CAN travel. :)

Thanks for your support.

Darkline
10-08-2006, 04:56 PM
mine doesnt make much sense either :-)

but I think horror is best left in an unexplainable vacuum. (no, not a killer household appliance)

Darkline
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I've had time to review and re-review films now and my top 5 - in no order are :

Lakeside, Bloody Mary, Rekindled, Broken Circle, 5B.

That said there is not a lot of difference in my marks for my top 10! it varies by maybe 1 whole point! very close scoring.

Are we meant to put marks in for our own films? that seems silly I think Im leaving mine blank. how can you rate your own film?!?

jeans
10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Are we meant to put marks in for our own films? that seems silly I think Im leaving mine blank. how can you rate your own film?!?

I wondered that myself. I think leaving it blank makes sense, so it doesn't effect the average at all. In any case, I think you've got a good chance.

CallaghanFilms
10-08-2006, 07:26 PM
The Callaghan Pony Picks...
http://www.kansasheritage.org/research/sft/horse.gif
To Win: Broken Circle

To Place: Reunion

To Show: Lakeside

Edited To Add:
My Third And Final Pick

Tom Marshall
10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I think Broken Circle was just too over the top. It needed to stay a lot more low key in the beginning, acting wise, and just build it's way up to the top. Technically, it was well executed though.

Brandon Rice
10-08-2006, 11:26 PM

To Show: (TBD upon completion of all films)

Hm. I'd say to win.... Bloody Mary or Rekindled

To place... Broken Circle, and Into the Darkness :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 04:50 AM

To Show: (TBD upon completion of all films)

LOL...Made my morning :thumbup:

TheatreGuy
10-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Hey there jpbankemercer... gotta love that, huh?

Congrats on yor film again!

FABU!

Oh! If no one wants that "Show" postion... I'll take it!!! :grin:

Inexistence
10-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Earlier, I felt uncomfortable with stating which ones I liked but, having been through
nearly all of them I can definitively give favorable marks to the following... in no
particular order of course...

CFWB9 (execution and direction)
Developed (concept, direction, emotion)
Bloody Mary (as a true horror pick!)
Broken Circle (concept and emotion)
Crawl Space (for concept)

jpbankesmercer
10-09-2006, 08:15 AM
TheatreGuy, you should definitely get the ONE-MAN-BAND award! You will score high with me because I’ve done that and know how difficult it is to pull anything off that's even watchable. You should be really proud of yourself. :beer:

Inexistence, I really appreciate that emotion comments, to be honest my whole intention with this film was to create a reaction, be it good or bad from the viewer. So I'm way-over-happy that you felt something. Cheers.:thumbup:

J.P.

TimurCivan
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Theatre guy:

You definitly, worked your BUTT off!!!!

just on sheer will i thnk you deserve an award.

also, i think there shoul be a voting column for "X" factor. you know that campy/Cult quality that some "bad" films have. like movie masters movie. I LOVED IT. i thought it was TONS of fun!!!!

MOVIE MASTER
10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
bloody marry!!!!!!!!whooooo! and Awakening

TimurCivan
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
god i cant wait for unholy.......

Matt Sconce
10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Well, I just filled out my ballot and sent it in. The only one with a 10.0 was Rekindled, but Bloody Mary and The Seeing were in close second. I liked a lot of the others as well, but those were my top three.

TheatreGuy
10-10-2006, 04:45 AM
TheatreGuy, you should definitely get the ONE-MAN-BAND award! You will score high with me because I’ve done that and know how difficult it is to pull anything off that's even watchable. You should be really proud of yourself. :beer:
J.P.

Theatre guy:

You definitly, worked your BUTT off!!!!

just on sheer will i thnk you deserve an award.

Hey, Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the comments. Glad that I stumbled back over on this thread. :)

I am just glad that I didn't embarrass myself too much!

I can't wait to do this again... with a cast and crew!!!

DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF LIVE IN THE NEW ENGLAND AREA??? (not NY, sorry boys!)

NEW HAMPSHIRE???

MAINE?????

MASS???????

VERMONT???????

CT???????????

RI????????????

I'm lonely up here.

VersuS
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
read some Stephen King...he is mainly focused in Maine/Hampshire....

hey wasnt Jed Bartlet from New Hampshire?

jpbankesmercer
10-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone for their support of 'Broken Cirlce' I never expected for us to even be in the running!
To place...wow I would eat my own mother :)

Jaime V
10-10-2006, 06:54 AM
I like:

The Commitment (only movie that I thought was scary!)
Dear Jane (loved the creative presentation of the story!)
Bloody Mary (need I say more?)

While these flicks did not necessarily score the highest in my ballot (I haven't actually tallied up the numbers or anything) these are my favorites.

musicman
10-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, I just filled out my ballot and sent it in. The only one with a 10.0 was Rekindled, but Bloody Mary and The Seeing were in close second. I liked a lot of the others as well, but those were my top three.

Matt, while your evaluations are very objective I would not place Rekindled in the top five and would not give Bloody Mary a first. No comment on The Seeing since I was involved with that one. Rekindled, while it has a lot going for it does not have, in my opinion, a clear storyline. As to story I base my opinion on first viewing since it is easy to begin putting the pieces together on subsequent viewings. I just can't give it a 10, not even a 9. Bloody
Mary held up very well on my first view but still dropped the ball a couple of times in coherency. Worst of all, the final bloody bathtub scene made me laugh. This is just my honest reaction to both films.

Matt Sconce
10-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Matt, while your evaluations are very objective I would not place Rekindled in the top five and would not give Bloody Mary a first. No comment on The Seeing since I was involved with that one. Rekindled, while it has a lot going for it does not have, in my opinion, a clear storyline. As to story I base my opinion on first viewing since it is easy to begin putting the pieces together on subsequent viewings. I just can't give it a 10, not even a 9. Bloody
Mary held up very well on my first view but still dropped the ball a couple of times in coherency. Worst of all, the final bloody bathtub scene made me laugh. This is just my honest reaction to both films.

I absolutely understood the story and thought it was powerful in Rekindled after the first viewing. I believe it has a VERY clear storyline.
********SPOILER************

Man kills girl he loves, and discovers she will appear to him again if he spills enough blood. He needs her with him so he becomes a serial killer killing people so they suffer and shed blood, so she will reappear for a while. She finally discovers what is going on and stops him and the two are then reunited in death as they wait for Hell to claim them. That is FREAKIN AWESOME!

Oh....and the final Bathtub scene in Bloody Mary FREAKIN ROCKED too!! The girl was in shock, thinking she might be going crazy and the only person to answer her was her dead mother who, for some reason, was not appearing....leaving her to wonder if she killed an innocent man. I loved it!

VersuS
10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice Matt!!!

SPOILER

1st time I watched Rekindled, I laughed with the line 'there has to be blood, lots of blood'. I know I'm ashamed but I found it funny in a horrorfest..Sorry Jack if it seems I'm doing something bad for the movie, I think the story's great, but this line was funny in a way :)

Jaime V
10-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I absolutely understood the story and thought it was powerful in Rekindled after the first viewing. I believe it has a VERY clear storyline.
********SPOILER************

Man kills girl he loves, and discovers she will appear to him again if he spills enough blood. He needs her with him so he becomes a serial killer killing people so they suffer and shed blood, so she will reappear for a while. She finally discovers what is going on and stops him and the two are then reunited in death as they wait for Hell to claim them. That is FREAKIN AWESOME!

Interesting, I actually got the impression that he was a serial killer to begin with, and was simply fixated on her (one of many of his victims)...even perhaps finding his one true love (in his own twisted way). He thought she was a victim just like any other, until she was gone, and he realized what he lost. Maybe nitpicky, but in your interpretation

discovers she will appear to him again if he spills enough blood

I find it odd that he would become a serial killer and 'discover' this afterwards by accident.

That's just me.

JoshuaNitschke
10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Interesting, I actually got the impression that he was a serial killer to begin with, and was simply fixated on her (one of many of his victims)...even perhaps finding his one true love (in his own twisted way). He thought she was a victim just like any other, until she was gone, and he realized what he lost. Maybe nitpicky, but in your interpretation
No, he had the desire to kill (some line about it pained him to know that he had a heart like that inside him but couldn't act on it).

The first person he killed was her, she was his muse and unleashed him.

Jaime V
10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
well now I have to watch it again! thanks, I'll look (listen) for that line. That's not what I got out of it the first two times.

TheatreGuy
10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
To place...wow I would eat my own mother :)
This is just wrong. For that, I am casting my vote in a different direction. :grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
...I find it odd that he would become a serial killer and 'discover' this afterwards by accident.

That's just me.
me too, but some things must be sacrificed to the 6 minute god.

(and quick disclaimer - this is not a defense, just a discussion of the method to my madness, if it didn't work for some people this is not to suggest their response isn't valid)

Truth is WHY it worked, the killing bringing her back, was irrelevant to the story and every tim I tried to include it sidetracked the scene and openned a can of worms that couldn't be fully explored in the time.

there used to be a line ... "it's this house ... the highways of the dead intersect here ..."

but again it just bogged things down and served little purpose other than me telling you something I thought you should know.

So its glossed over due to the short form.

Really I intentionally concentrated on just the big beats and relied on you guys to fill in the rest as you will, and you can see there are interesting subvarients within the major beats being thrown around here.

but yeah the big beats are:
- he kills people to make her comeback for a while
- she finds out she was his firts victim and that she is infact dead.
- to put things right she kills him and now they are happy ghosts together

the rest is icing

I know why he killed her, why it works to bring her back, whether he was a serial killer by nature or by design, but there's not a ton of reasons to include all that in explicit dialogue.

Mark Harris
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
the rest is icing

So basically, this is a story about icing. Got it. He likes cake.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe, but I ate like one inteman's cake for every day of editing, lol.

No, he had the desire to kill (some line about it pained him to know that he had a heart like that inside him but couldn't act on it).

The first person he killed was her, she was his muse and unleashed him.
and this is another problem in the 6 minute form* .. major things like that should really be re-enforced more than once, but here it is hinging on a single line.

*another disclaimer -- obv the form is not the problem but what I choose to put in it, and I am definately chooisng things to put in it that don't quite fit, because I am pushing things in terms of the narratives I want to explore, which probably are to big for the form.

But I don't want to jack this thread.

If anyone wants to discuss the particulars of my story - if you wanna know backstory that wasn't included in the film, or talk about what worked or didn't, or your various different yet wholey valid interpretations, then we should probably do it over in my thread.

Blaine
10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
So basically, this is a story about icing. Got it. He likes cake.MMMMM. Carrot cake...

Mark Harris
10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
If anyone wants to discuss the particulars of my story - if you wanna know backstory that was too much for the film, or talk about what worked or didn't, or your various different yet wholey valid interpretations, then we should probably do it over in my thread.

Oh, so this was all just a way to move traffic to your thread. that's pretty pretentious, if you ask me...When you start working in Hollywood and try all these promotional gimmicks to get your movies noticed, you're going to be in trouble. Cause you know, NO one does that...
:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
ahk I hope people know that's an inside joke ...
(it is isn't it?)

I didn't think continuing here was the most appropriate thing since the thread isn't titled "a discussion of Jack's story".

VersuS
10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
oh come on!!! ;-)

Mark Harris
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
yeah, I'll get us back on topic.

My favs remain Broken Circle, The Seeing, I still like Matt's movie.

But I watched Dead Inside and that is a really nice straight-up zombie flick. If you guys haven't checked it, go do it. It's moved up my list, and in this contest of people trying different things, it was kind of refreshing to see just a well-done basic horror flick.

I have a ton to watch the second time and review.

M

jpbankesmercer
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
This is just wrong. For that, I am casting my vote in a different direction. :grin:

Sorry mum. :(

zenbarai
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm still partial to Rekindled, but The Commitment actually made me scream out loud. Halfway had me glued all the way through.

TimurCivan
10-10-2006, 08:06 PM
I liked yours Zenbarai. Very whimsical. the juxtoposition of the form, content, and self awareness the film had really helped it to move along nicely. Plus t he cinematography was good , and there were no gratuitous, "cool" flashy shots that served no purpose to the story. AFer watchign the umpteenth film, that had a random flash of a corpse, it was nice watching a movie and not having a siezure.

(Halfway did it properly though.)

zenbarai
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks Timur, that means a lot coming from you!

Mark Harris
10-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to bump this to call attention to Put on a Happy Face. Nice short that is not really getting the views it deserves. Go check it out.

Kholi
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Seconding that. It's really not getting the views it should be.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I have to agree with Mark here. Put on a Happy Face made me smile through the entire movie. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

It was great fun!

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Put on your Happy Face...It's got midgets.

Kholi
10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Put on your Happy Face...It's got midgets.

And the hottest clown girl ever. I still want to meet her.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
That costume! :) :thumbup:

He had that before the festival I'm sure. :) :)

TimurCivan
10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks Timur, that means a lot coming from you!

Ehh i am no body man trust me. jsut some unemplyed guy with a broken twitchy DVX. lol.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Timur just wanted to say, that 'Bloody Mary' is STILL a GREAT film, glad your getting the response you deserve. Keep-it up, look forward to your next project.
J.P.

Scrappy
10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I haven't seen them all but there are some that stand out. Meat has to be one of the all around best crafted projects in terms of experienced film making. Those guys have been doing this for a while. Put on a happy face was engrossing and fun to watch. Nice effects, loved the midget clown. Little mistake ...(Line to balloon clown) "you were smiling before" that's a no no, you should never be obvious in feeding information you want your viewers to know. Loved the last line and delivery from the big clown.
Lakeside has to be one of my top 3. I liked it for many reasons. gave us a lot of story and action in the 6 minutes they had. fast moving, The policeman was interesting even though he looked as if he was having too much fun with his role. possibly my favorite acting in the festival was the reaction shots of the driver. One detail . . . Did the monster at the doorway study in the southpark school of motion?
Broken Circle was very scary, well acted and everything else. What I thought might have improved it is a variation in it's intensity. It's energy level only had one speed (100mph). Also for people with vertigo (like myself) 6 minutes of a camera going around in a circle is hard to watch. Having said that, it still stood out as one of the better ones. I'll post more reviews as I watch more. Great work everyone

Notlikely
10-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Though I wont be able to vote...There are quite a few here that I like. This is going to be a hard one for you guys.

TimurCivan
10-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Timur just wanted to say, that 'Bloody Mary' is STILL a GREAT film, glad your getting the response you deserve. Keep-it up, look forward to your next project.
J.P.

thanks man. means alot. next project should be interesting. you will all see. :)

this fest was by and far the best yet. its great cause it "forced" alot of people to make something.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Broken Circle was very scary, well acted and everything else. What I thought might have improved it is a variation in it's intensity. It's energy level only had one speed (100mph). Also for people with vertigo (like myself) 6 minutes of a camera going around in a circle is hard to watch. Having said that, it still stood out as one of the better ones.

Cheers Scrappy how is Scooby nowadays? :)

Scrappy
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Scooby is not fine. he's still hiding under the couch. He just watched Broken Circle. Nice job, it brought back memories. My first ever experience with film was with a super 8mm movie my brother and I made called "The Saence" . The opening shot believe it or not was a camera circling a group of kids having a saence. It was shot on location in Finland. (cause I went to school there at the time.) It was an hour long and had a major release (stage whisper) on public access tv at around 3 in the morning. Good luck in the contest. A lot of people like your show, as I do.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Bwwhahahaha.
That's freaky, bet it looked ace on 8mm.
Thanks for the best wishes.

Beat Takeshi
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey jpbankesmercer, I just saw your sig, thanks!!!
I admit, i havn't pimped mine at all and now I'm regretting it.
Thanks again!!

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:30 PM
No probs.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 04:33 PM
jp, I noticed your banner earlier... I thought that was realy classy man.... real classy!

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Cheers Ted, didn't put you on because noticed your getting the figures. It's still a great film though.

jpbankesmercer
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
To be honest, I've still not viewed/ reviewed every entry, so more might pop onto it yet.

TheatreGuy
10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Cheers Ted, didn't put you on because noticed your getting the figures. It's still a great film though.
Hey, thanks jp.... never even crossed my mind. I feel good about the views I've received (I'd take more if their out there!) but that is not at all why I commented.

Just thought that was a really classy thing to do.

I have been wanting to start a thread to draw more attention to some of the films that are not getting much play, but there are so many threads going on... didn't want to wear people out more than I have! :grin:

Keep up the good work. I hope that I can meet some of you people face to face one day!

Ted

CallaghanFilms
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
OK, so I added my final pick for the trifecta...

To Show: Lakeside

zenbarai
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Meat has to be one of the all around best crafted projects in terms of experienced film making. Those guys have been doing this for a while.

Wow, thanks Scrappy. That's high praise considering that this is my directorial debut, and my co-director's second film.

Ben

Mark Harris
10-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Wow, thanks Scrappy. That's high praise considering that this is my directorial debut, and my co-director's second film.

Ben

I think he meant you've clearly been eating people for a while. :)

zenbarai
10-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Uh... er... I plead the fifth...

Scrappy
10-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey Zenbarai, thanks for making me look like an idiot. If that was your first go at directing film and uncle joe wasn't at the set everyday advising you, you're a friggin genius. I hope you made a ton of money from it so you can pay off the kid actors future therapy bills.

very funny desperatecomfort and congratulations on Bloody Mary. that's another one near the top

Matt Sconce
10-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I have watched my top films again and I must say that I absolutely have to go with Rekindled in the top place. It worked for me in everyway! It inspires me to go try to make something that awesome!

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
haha thanks Matt, glad you are not in competition:beer:

If that was your first go at directing film[zenbarai director of Meat]... you're a friggin genius.
... Bloody Mary. that's another one near the top Agree and agree!

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-12-2006, 03:06 AM
If you haven't seen Dead Inside go see it!
Great horror sequence with Zombies.
I gasped twice.

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 05:46 AM
I have watched my top films again and I must say that I absolutely have to go with Rekindled in the top place. It worked for me in everyway! It inspires me to go try to make something that awesome!
Matt, you are on your way! I think that Stricken is such an incredible piece of work. And I was especially impressed with that fact that this is your second film! (is that correct?) Regardless, you have what it takes!

And I will agree with you... Rekindled is an amazing film! I just watched it again and was totally blown away all over again with the depth and beauty of this film!!!

My biggest problem now is how to place the 2nd and 3rd choice films! I mean, I.D. will take first obviously--- D'oh (inner conscience leaking out!!!)

Rekindled all the way, baby!

:beer: Cheers to all. This has been such great fun! Good luck in the balloting to all!

Everyone deserves a huge piece of pie! :thumbsup:

Ted

Matt Sconce
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Matt, you are on your way! I think that Stricken is such an incredible piece of work. And I was especially impressed with that fact that this is your second film! (is that correct?) Regardless, you have what it takes!

Ted

That means a lot Ted! Thanks! I am working hard on the feature script. I am throwing all my ideas into one place now before I outline.

silvergirl
10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I thought Bloody Mary was the most well rounded movie. Strong everywhere, writing, lighting, camera work, Acting, Direction.

Halfway was also very very good. I actually choked on my tea, when the little kid was cawling along floor in the camera screen.

Broken Circle was the most psychologically disturbing. Impressive direction and coordination.

Notlikely
10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
SO far from what I've seen (Just about all, I got another few tonight) I really like
Stricken____________________This guy is a PRO quality tech
Crawlspace_________________For it's use of an already creepy space
Waiting kindred____________For scaring the SH_T Out OF ME!!!! It does still need some work! But I can't stop watching it!!! Graphics Master

Kudos GUYS!!!!

Ben Sliker
10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
If you haven't seen Dead Inside go see it!
Great horror sequence with Zombies.
I gasped twice.

Man, who is this guy, i love this guy.

Matt Sconce
10-12-2006, 02:02 PM
SO far from what I've seen (Just about all, I got another few tonight) I really like
Stricken____________________This guy is a PRO quality tech
Crawlspace_________________For it's use of an already creepy space
Waiting kindred____________For scaring the SH_T Out OF ME!!!! It does still need some work! But I can't stop watching it!!! Graphics Master

Kudos GUYS!!!!

Woohoo! I am so glad you liked the movie!!!!!! When I read this I felt all happy and bubbly and wanted to do backflips. I had been keeping up with your posts and wondered what movies you would like! Thanks for making my day!

arielman
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll go with Buffalo..#1

Ian

Rock Punk!
10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
My top 5:
Bloody Mary
Stricken
Dear Jane
Lakeside
Project 47

TheatreGuy
10-12-2006, 07:38 PM
That's great Rock Punk!!! Pimp that baby!!!

Rock Punk!
10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
My top 5:
Bloody Mary
Stricken
Dear Jane
Lakeside
Project 47

I should clarify that most of these are tied on my ballot score-wise.

Beat Takeshi
10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Dear Jane has some serious cinematography.

Geoff_R
10-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks Rock Punk!

Matt Sconce
10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
My top 5:
Bloody Mary
Stricken
Dear Jane
Lakeside
Project 47

WOOHOO!! Thanks dude!

VersuS
10-13-2006, 01:33 AM
I will be suprised to see a top 5 that doesnt include:

Rekindled
ID
Bloody Mary
Dear Jane
Broken Circle

especially Rekindled and Bloody Mary must be in a close fight!!!!!

TimurCivan
10-13-2006, 02:42 AM
thanks alot punkrock and mscone for your support. infact thanks to everyone for enjoying our contribution to horror fest.

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Guys thanks for your support for 'Broken Circle' too.

Magicchildfilms
10-13-2006, 05:37 AM
I'll go with Buffalo..#1

Ian

WOOOHOOO:)!

Thanks!

Darkline
10-13-2006, 06:56 AM
I post my top 5 before, but my final top 10 are (in no order after ballot completeed)

Meat, 5B, Rekindled, Broken circle, Lakeside, Bloody Mary,The seeing, Project 47, Reunion, Dead Inside.

stricken would have been in there too if it was not NC.

sean90291
10-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Halfway !!!
The Morning After !!!
Crawlspace !!!
The Girl Next Door !!!
The Commitment !!!
Test Film by Jarred Land !!!

Darkline
10-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Test Film by Jarred Land !!!

I dunno, I marked it down for the unoriginal title. 6 minutes of colour bars may be horrifiying, but is it good?

TheatreGuy
10-13-2006, 07:39 AM

Rekindled
ID
Bloody Mary
Dear Jane
Broken Circle

Oooooh! I like this Top 5!!!

Thanks John! (I wouldn't it if you were correct! :) )

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Ok. I think i've about viewed reviewd everyone, if your missing PM me.

My top 11. In no particular order are...

Sneak
Dear Jane
Rekindled
Halfway ('The Sack')
Reunion
Welcome
Bloody Mary
R.E.M
I.D.
Cure for writer's block No.9
5b

And I struggled with eleven. I've mixed them up you you can't guess how I voted. :)

Stricken and a few of the other NC films would have also been up there.

J.P.

Lingothree
10-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Sneak
Dear Jane
Rekindled
Halfway ('The Sack')
Reunion
Welcome
Bloody Mary
R.E.M
I.D.
5b

And I struggled with eleven. I've mixed them up you you can't guess how I voted. :)

J.P.

Why isn't yours in the list? It should be...

Brandon Rice
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM

Sneak
Dear Jane
Rekindled
Halfway ('The Sack')
Reunion
Welcome
Bloody Mary
R.E.M
I.D.
5b

J.P.

:crybaby:

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 10:05 AM
+ I think this other film needs a mention.

Into the Darkness

Brandon Rice
10-13-2006, 10:06 AM
hahaha :) thanks buddy... BTW: In case I didn't say this before.... BROKEN CIRCLE rocked my socks!

I seriously haven't watched it again, in fear it might make me feel sick again... whoa!

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I also wanted to say thanks to these fabulous films.

"Help! My movies not there but I uploaded in on Saturday"
By a few.

"The Quicktime Nightmare!"
By many.

"My adaptors bigger than yours!"
By a few.

"Anyone know of a file program to upload with for the MAC?"
By The Macc Lad's.

"Quicktime pro II The nightmare returns"
By the many.

"How do you get a good compression out of Premier 1.5?"
By the premierdonners. (me included)

"How do you get a good compression out of Avid?"
By the few.

"Hey I got a great compression out of Final Cut Pro!"
By the blessed.

“How do you upload to the server?”
By the many.

“FileZilla!”
By the P.C Boyz.

“Quicktime Pro III The P.C. version - No escape alive”
By the P.C Boyz.

J.P.

TheatreGuy
10-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Sneak
Dear Jane
Rekindled
Halfway ('The Sack')
Reunion
Welcome
Bloody Mary
R.E.M
I.D.
5b

J.P.
Thanks for the acknowledgement JP, I've got you covered on my list!!!!!

Best to all!!!

iSTy
10-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately, haven't watched them all, but have just enjoyed 'Bloody Mary' :o)
Like the ending to Buffalo :o)

spidey
10-13-2006, 01:13 PM
thanks JP was cool.

jpbankesmercer
10-13-2006, 01:57 PM
No probs man you deserve it.

bklyndv
10-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I liked Broken Circle for the sheer simplicity of the concept. The delivery, as far as technique/technical of it was mixed, but the single shot concept is so demanding and it's pulled off well enough that I really enjoyed it.

But the film that I can watch multiple times is Bloody Mary. The foley/location sound is honestly its only weak point and the strengths outpace this minor nit by such a wide margin that it's almost not worth mentioning.

As with the short The Process in a prior contest, this feels like the most complete package -- great acting, great cinematography, love the soundtrack, on point editing and pace, and the best part is that the ending gives a sense of the story being larger than the alotted length of the film, rather than a lazy sudden drop-off that many shorts resort to.

I hope Bloody Mary wins -- they deserve it.

- jim

luster
10-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Finally got to them all.

My top three are:
Girl Next Door
Meat
Dear Jane

I still haven't figured out which order they'll be in though.

cinealma
10-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Welp, here's my top 9 in no particular order except alphabetical:

Broken Circle
The Commitment
Dear Jane
Halfway
Meat
Memories
The Morning After
Rekindled
Urine Trouble

I enjoyed watching them all. Good luck to everybody.

John G.

Kyle Stebbins
10-13-2006, 07:23 PM
:crybaby:

TimurCivan
10-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Welp, here's my top 9 in no particular order except alphabetical:

Broken Circle
The Commitment
Dear Jane
Halfway
Meat
Memories
The Morning After
Rekindled
Urine Trouble

I enjoyed watching them all. Good luck to everybody.

John G.

thats odd you chose 9. out of curiosity whats #10?

cinealma
10-13-2006, 09:32 PM
thats odd you chose 9. out of curiosity whats #10?

Top 10's are fascist. Top 9 is avant garde! :)

I actually have a 4-way tie after 9, so 9 is good for a summary on my end.

John G.

TimurCivan
10-13-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL Top 10's are FAscist. awsome.

Beat Takeshi
10-14-2006, 12:45 AM
My top 5 in no particular order was:
Bloody Mary
Meat
Halfway
Gorsehill
Lakeside

Stricken would be if eligible

Darkline
10-14-2006, 07:34 AM

Rekindled
ID
Bloody Mary
Dear Jane
Broken Circle

Hey Versus. I dropped out of your top 5? What did I do wrong? :crybaby:

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-14-2006, 09:24 AM
you must have crossd a dark line ... erm ... sorry couldn't resist.

VersuS
10-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey Versus. I dropped out of your top 5? What did I do wrong? :crybaby:

Actually I was between you and Broken Circle ...but this Top5 doesnt represent exactly MY top5 but what I have seen from people's reactions so far

Darkline
10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
I have to say 'darkline' is somewhat tacky......lol HOWEVER, it was a name I came up with when I was 16 and I just can ditch it now.

doesnt bode well for my romantic comedies I know.....

Thanks Versus, I thought I'd maybe said something offensive! (it normally happens :huh: )