PDA

View Full Version : Two (2) Horrorfest films on the big screen in NYC Oct 10th!

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Come see Jack Daniel Stanley/Mark Johnson's Rekindled and Shawn Chittle's This Is Death Your Captain Speaking on Oct 10 at 7PM at the Pioneer Theater in the East Village, Manhattan! :Drogar-Love(DBG):

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/7339/1159997990.jpg

Tom Marshall
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
That looks like a blast! Too bad I'm not in NY.

Michael_Petro
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
would if i could but its a td bit far :)

Dario Nieva
10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Ooooh lucky dogs! I work late Tuesday, but i'll try and stop by!

Also I notice Rekindled is at 7min, SPECIAL DIRECTORS CUT!? :P

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Is this allowed per the rules? I asked if i could have my movie hosted somewhere to show it in full HD for anyone that wanted to see it in a better format for when the actual festival viewing startded but was told no it wouldnt be fair to others to have some viewable in a better format. , only viewable no here until the festival is over.

"Film's can only be promoted here at dvxuser inside your own unique threads. No external site(s) or link's are permitted (Unless a video or image host) Like the indiviual film discussion's, we will have the same for the Horrorfest films. "

TheatreGuy
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow! That looks like fun.

cinealma
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
This is going to be interesting...

I think cynic is right. But the hard thing here is that a lot of horror film festivals are around Halloween. This one is on the 10th. I'm sure it was assumed by Jack and Shawn that the DVXUser HorrorFest viewing/voting period would have been over by then. Then it would not have mattered. The assumption would have been cutting it close, but still a valid one.

John G.

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 03:06 PM
THe voting sessions are consitantly two weeks looking back at the threads of past fests. So even if we started on time which is the 1st. the 14th would be the soonest it would end.

cinealma
10-04-2006, 03:07 PM
True.

John G.

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Similo was DQed for something similar. We can only wait and see what happens.

Brandon Rice
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Hopefully they can pull their films from showing.

cinealma
10-04-2006, 04:43 PM
We can still watch them though, right? I was definitely looking forward to these two!

John G.

Edgen
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
oops...

makes you think twice about posting :)

As han Solo says... "Qu... Turn it off!!! Turn it offffffff"

/j

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
LoL!!!

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Similo was DQed for something similar. We can only wait and see what happens.

Well, I can tell you what won't happen.
Shawn and I won't be DQued.
Not before a cease and desist request is issued and ignored.

The only DQued film in the history of the fest had several infractions and was warned several times.
If there's a problem here. We'll pull the films from the local screening (or I will at least). Simple. No DQ. No prob.

Sorry to rob some of you from the potential drama.

And yes I had thought the festival would be done by this time or very close to it based on the fact that films went up one day after they were uploaded in Hero Fest and seemed like it would be that way this time.

And I had been meaning to explicitly ask Jarred about it but I've sort of had other things on my mind like getting the film done and in.

You will notice that this flier has no mention of DVXuser nor does it direct anyone to this website.

Also --- the no promo rule says not to put any links up from external sites or footage, doesn't say anything about a local screening on one night in a theatre with less than 100 seats.

Jarred has also already approved a screening on the 30th at this theatre and likely there will be promotion for that event before voting closes.

And hosting your film elsewhere in HD for festival viewers who are eligible to vote is an entirely different animal from a screening where there will probably be 50 people in attendance and less than 5 or so who would possibly be eligible to vote. The two seemed and still seem like completely unrelated opportunities that have no relation to one another.

If this is even an issue Jarred will ask us to pull our films from the screening. And that will be the end of it.

I think it would be hard to argue that Shawn and I were seeking some unfair advantage in the festival, vs. taking advantage of an opportunity to screen our films with a live audience in a way that would have ZERO effect on the outcome of the festival.

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but...

NO FOOTAGE FROM ACTUAL FILM CAN BE SHOWN UNTIL THE OFFICIAL FESTIVAL START.

..speaks volumes to me. The festival is obviously going to start before Oct 10. :thumbup:

Hopefully they can pull their films from showing.

Pull my film from a movie theater in NYC? You're kidding right? :huh: You know who is going to be in the audience?!! :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
no one important ... maybe the 17 year old stewardess you run around with but ...

Blaine
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
It seems to me that it might have been a smarter to wait and start this thread later.

MsManhattan
10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't think anyone was suggesting that a public screening would create an unfair advantage, although it certainly could theoretically -- following the same logic that a big-screen screening, akin to an online HD screening, offers visual clarity and richness unavailable to those showing non-HD and online only. But, I digress. I think the question arises simply because the rules in the past have been that the film couldn't be shown until after the festival. I, for one (and I suspect a good number of others on the board), had thought that meant until after the festival is OVER and voting is finished. But perhaps it simply means until after the festival begins, regardless of whether voting has finished. As Aram noted, we wil have to see what the mods say. And just to clarify, HeroFest started late because we were all waiting on the final submission to be made for more than 24 hours after the supposed final deadline to which everyone else adhered. That was not due to a bandwidth problem.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
It seems to me that it might have been a smarter to wait and start this thread later.
no shit, lol

HAIRY_STUFF!!!
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Wait me no can make money selling your scripts to satan? ME thought that was ok?

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
HeroFest started late because we were all waiting on the final submission to be made for more than 24 hours after the supposed final deadline to which everyone else adhered. That was not due to a bandwidth problem.
uh ... you missed my point ... my point was that Hero Fest started very soon after the uploads - not late ... and hero fest was up and running quicker than any other fest we've had ... so my point was, it seemed things would be winding down by the 10th because things moved faster, not slower.

MsManhattan
10-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Uh ... No, I got your point. I just thought your point was bogus.

uh ... you missed my point ... my point was that Hero Fest started very soon after the uploads - not late ... and hero fest was up and running quicker than any other fest we've had ... so my point was, it seemed things would be winding down by the 10th because things moved faster, not slower.

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
no one important ... maybe the 17 year old stewardess you run around with but ...

Yah, I'm playing cards with Michael Jackson and Congressman Mark Foley tonight. :beer:

Jarred Land
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
if someone got an offer to put their film in a NY theater showing.. they would be absolutely insane to say no because of horrorfest.

As long as its not online, I dont give a crap... if anyone gets an offer to screen in a theater the smart thing is to take that offer...

Jarred Land
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
in case that wasn't clear.. Jack and Flint, your fine, and congratts.

snodart
10-04-2006, 06:54 PM
And just to clarify, HeroFest started late because we were all waiting on the final submission to be made for more than 24 hours after the supposed final deadline to which everyone else adhered. That was not due to a bandwidth problem.

Yea, who the heck was that guy that we were waiting on to render and upload for Hero Fest.... let me think.... :beer:

If there aren't going to be voters there, I don't think it's a big deal. How could it sway the vote? Now if it could sway the voting somehow then yea, since the prizes are so big this time, I'de say BS.

The DVXuser fests are all about motivating people and getting their balls rolling... I mean getting the ball rolling. Keeping the momentum and getting your entry out to some screenings/festivals sounds like continuous momentum to me.

Sounds like a lawyer might have to type up the contest rules next time. :zombie_smiley:

EDIT: ah, Jarred posted while I was typing.

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 07:01 PM
if someone got an offer to put their film in a NY theater showing.. they would be absolutely insane to say no because of horrorfest.

As long as its not online, I dont give a crap... if anyone gets an offer to screen in a theater the smart thing is to take that offer...
Thank you. :love4:

Dennis Hastert is my agent and he was gonna wait three years, but...

For this Fest we are going to try something a little different. We are going to allow the hype machine to come out. What does that mean ?
Generating free publicity for your film, by any means necessary! :) Next up: This Is Death Captain Fartman! Spandex glory live at 11!

TheatreGuy
10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I for one am glad that that is settled.

Congratulations guys! That is fantastic news.

If it wasn't for a 5 hour drive, I'd be there. (who knows, I might anyways!)

Good for you both!

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Well, we actually got flack for showing our Sci-fi entry in a DVXuser meeting. People said we were promoting but Jarred has been cool with everything.
No I didn't think anyone would get DQed over this but you know its going to raise questions. Voting ALWAYS takes at least 2 weeks because of the amount of flicks and time people need to get to watch all of them and knowing the amount of people that entered 3 weeks would be expected. The only reason the Herofest started right away was not that Jarred did it in one day. We sat waiting for a few days.

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
i actually have yet to vote in a single Fest. I look forward to Voting.

Is this like a real election? can you vote for yourself? Just curious cause i dont know. And do you have to vote for everymovie for any of your votes to be counted?

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
yikes...i didnt expect some of the way some people would post on here, changed my opinion about some folks...

Didnt mean to cause a ruckus, but seems like me and maybe 2 or 3 others are the only ones who wanted to strictly follow the Rules first and foremost and then ask what was ok after meeting EVERY REQUIRMENT. the rules DONT say alot of things... cmon jack, saying something like, "Well the rules dont say that i cant screen here with this amount of people" thats like me saying i wont be DQ'ed from the contest if i hack into Jarreds server and crash the entire website. I mean the rules dont say that, so i can do that right?

Didnt mean to cause a problem, just trying to pay attention is all.

Sorry :(

cinealma
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Jack seems a little edgy the last week or so. I think he just needs some rest. :thumbsup:

John G.

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
dont we all

again, sorry to begin anything...

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't think there was a ruckus here if you ask me. It was just an observation which everyone is entitled to. You have no control on how someone is going to react.

Tom Marshall
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I think a screening like that is a fantastic opportunity and I congratulate both of you...

cinealma
10-04-2006, 07:50 PM
... You have no control on how someone is going to react.

That is SO true in the world of emails and forum postings.

John G.

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
The way I see it, if you react with hostility that means you read it in hostility.

Jarred Land
10-04-2006, 07:58 PM
love is in the air.. can you feel it?

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Didnt mean to cause a problem, just trying to pay attention is all. Sorry :(
Don't be Cynic! no biggie, you were just trying to figure it all out as we all are. :)

Well, we actually got flack for showing our Sci-fi entry in a DVXuser meeting. People said we were promoting but Jarred has been cool with everything.
Hey Aram man! Sorry to hear you got flack back then. You were not promoting. No one who showed a film was. Those meetings are little more than campfire chats where we geek out about settings and talk shop. Not promotion.

love is in the air.. can you feel it?

Haha. It's clear that the user community around here (including me) are seeking a level playing ground and this contest has brought the competitive spirit and magnifying glass out! This has been a great experiment in gurreilla marketing/promotion as well. You can't put a price on that. (Brandon, Jack, 666, Scary, etc. those guys had some clever things that made me check out their threads again and again).

On a personal note, I paid a very high price and ditched my dear parents for two days while they came all the way into the city to visit me so that I could get my film encoded and up by 12 midnight EST on Oct 1. When I saw others had more time to upload because they were having FTP problems, I suppose I felt a little betrayed at first, but then I realized it coulda been me having those FTP problems and how upset I would have been to think all that work would have been wasted on some unexpected technical glitch.

So instead of bitching, most of us who were done on time (or very close) decided to help those who were having FTP issues. That to me separates the children from the adults.

There are good chances that these "post Oct 1 FTP" films might win! And if so, awesome. If they weren't allowed in, I think it would be too hard to avoid the "what ifs." :)

Good luck everyone!

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Its all good. More publicity for everyone envolved!!!!

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I take it Brandon is finishing his work.....

FYI: JArred, my mom is getting antsy to see these movies now. she has been into the horror fest thign for some time now. Hurry! or im gonna get a whole lotta mom-nagging on the phone for the next few hours.

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey Aram man! Sorry to hear you got flack back then. You were not promoting. No one who showed a film was. Those meetings are little more than campfire chats where we geek out about settings and talk shop. Not promotion.

Yeah, they thought since everyone was a DVXuser it skewed votes.

See what happens when we have to wait for movies. :kiss:

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
ya, woulda been nice to start on time. Then ...bahhg whatever... im really put off

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 08:09 PM
well, if I get my way with Jarred on the torrent issue, the next fest should go a lot smoother in so far as the file transfers. :)

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I kinda dont get why people are Complaining about the Deadline. its not like we got the fest on short notice. Hell Aram Bauman, had double hip replacement surgery, has been on crutches for weeks, and STILL got one ( a good one i bet too) in on time.

I mean we ALL kinda shoulda been done like a 2 weeks ago.

Not that me and mark did any different we were CCing up until the day before, but still.

ok i get off soap box now.

:D

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
You would be surprised how steady the shots look on crutches.

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I was surpired you hips didint cause electromagnetic interference.....

FYI ARam doesnt need the little magnets anymore. he just holds his DVX near hi crotch and the LCd flips over.

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 08:15 PM
LOL!

I have these big rare earth magnets and I have been REALLLLLLY tempted to put them up to my hips but I'm afraid I won't be able to get them off without dislocating something. No. Really.

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
lol!

Cynic821
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I was just about to get the shower, and realized something thats bothering me about it.

We all know Jarred is being generous with the gift, leniency on the rules, yada yada yada...

But what i see with all this, is disrespect. People KNOW hes going to be generous and bend the rules, and its like they planned that into their schedule knowing Jarred will say its cool. When i saw the rules, i assumed they were in STONE and covered EVERYTHING, including what the DONT list, like hacking the servers.

But I think i can safely assume that everyone here , besides me i guess, was going to know things could be bent. I saw the HVX and said, this is a LEGIT fest, and we hunkered down and got it done in the rules! I havnt shown my movie to my family over the internet across the country because of being scared of being DQ'ed. The whole process was part of the race, and i just didnt plan to go past the 1st of october , that INCLUDES uploading and compression. But i guess thats bad planning by me to plan past the 1st?

I am reletivly new to the Fests, but i just see it as really disrespectful to Jarred , EVEN IF YOU KNOW FOR SURE AND COULD BET YOUR LIFE THAT HELL SAY ITS OK TO DO SOMETHING THAT DOESNT FOLLOW THE EXACT RULES, to just do whatever really you want even when listed in the rules.

thats the last youll hear from me on it...shower time...havnt taken a shower since finishing the movie...thats pretty gross...feel like my pants are glued to my legs...

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
FYI ARam doesnt need the little magnets anymore. he just holds his DVX near hi crotch and the LCd flips over.
rolls on hardwood floor for 10 minutes...

....that is the single funniest camera geek comment ever. might even be funnier than Jack's "my poop is master ped -15"

you just earned your A.C.E. membership Timur. I just sent an email to Daryn on your behalf.

Beat Takeshi
10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Imagine how 2nd place of the last fest feels.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
yikes...i didnt expect some of the way some people would post on here, changed my opinion about some folks...

Didnt mean to cause a ruckus, but seems like me and maybe 2 or 3 others are the only ones who wanted to strictly follow the Rules first and foremost and then ask what was ok after meeting EVERY REQUIRMENT. the rules DONT say alot of things... cmon jack, saying something like, "Well the rules dont say that i cant screen here with this amount of people" thats like me saying i wont be DQ'ed from the contest if i hack into Jarreds server and crash the entire website. I mean the rules dont say that, so i can do that right?

Didnt mean to cause a problem, just trying to pay attention is all.

Sorry :(
whoa whoa whoa I have ZERO beef with you my friend.

As Jarred pointed out, he is concerned about internet viewing and screening
which was my point, that putting it up somewhere espressly for the purpose of voters seeing it in a higher res format was different than random people seeing it.

And even if someone had done that Jarred would have just asked them to stop before he pulled out the big DQ. I never meant to imply that one should or could do unscrupulous things to get an unfair advantage because it wasn't expressly stated in the rules.

I have no problem with you raising the question.

My feeling was (and perhaps I am wrong) that posts after yours were tinged with a bit of delicious anticipation as to how this would all unfold.

I did mean to react strongly and pointedly, but not with hostility towards anyone.

My apologies if that's how I came off. It seems that points were raised and I made counter points. I didn't attack anyone explicitly, and I certainly didn't mean to imply attack on any person or their character. You raised the issue of asking to screen your film on another server in HD and I replied saying I thought that was apples and oranges. I can see why that may seem like an attack, but to me that was just your point, or question really, and my response to it. Again ... I do apologize if you felt like I was attacking you or belittling your point. My intent was simply to disagree in a firm but unequivocal manner.

I definitely need some sleep and if I've been edgy in general lately I apologize.

It's going to be a great fest and Cynic, Aram, et all, I look foreword to your entries and hope mine doesn't disappoint.

And I agree with Arum that there is no real ruckus here. :)

TimurCivan
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
rolls on hardwood floor for 10 minutes...

....that is the single funniest camera geek comment ever. might even be funnier than Jack's "my poop is master ped -15"

you just earned your A.C.E. membership Timur. I just sent an email to Daryn on your behalf.

Bling bling Mother fucker. ( i hope the filter still works...... success!)

Whats ACe? you mean ACS ?

FlintMI
10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
shoot, I'm an idiot. I confused editors with camera guys. I meant

American Society Cinematographers (ASC)

not American Cinema Editors (ACE)

Daryn is the head of ASC.

you can beat the filter, but that wouldn't be nice. unless you were Howard Stern, P*ssy Willow!

jpbankesmercer
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
You would be surprised how steady the shots look on crutches.

LOL

How you doin Aram? Have things settled down pain wise yet?