PDA

View Full Version : quicktime problems

Darkline
10-03-2006, 04:33 AM
does anyone else find quicktime, on PC at least to be a buggy piece of c**p?

I have spent ages trying to encode my film and sometimes it crops, sometimes it resizes, all with the same settings. sometime the settings box decided not to bother popping up when you push it.

I have uploaded my film but im not happy with the image quality, it seems to be de-interlacing my footage (and the de-interlace footage box is not ticked:-)).

anyone else having these problems? any advice? I'd like to upload a better version than the one I have :-(

mameragex
10-03-2006, 04:58 AM
You and me both Buddy! I even went through several programs before I finally discovered that Vegas7 has all the settings for perfect QT output.

Good luck

Beat Takeshi
10-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Sorenson Squeeze will ease your woes with quicktime.

Darkline
10-03-2006, 05:45 AM
i just bought Quicktime pro and its doinng my nut in....

I am on PC so am using prem and not FCP...

I'll keep at it - i think ive figure one or two things out.

jeans
10-03-2006, 06:24 AM
I kind of think Apple intentionally made Quicktime bad for the PC and Microsoft made Windows Media Player even worse for the Mac.

jpbankesmercer
10-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Forget the resize on the PC version. It dunna work.

Rock Punk!
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
With QTPro, you have to either close the first window that opens the QT website or disconnect from the Internet in order to keep it from freezing up when exporting.

Jaime V
10-03-2006, 06:51 AM
I bought QT Pro for the PC for this fest and didn't have a problem with it. I had to play around with the settings a bit to get it how I wanted it, but it worked.

Dario Nieva
10-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I bought it for the fest too, it wouldn't export unless I had crop unchecked, didn't know about the internet trick though. Gotta try that out.

Darkline
10-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Ok I got it to work after several reboots - but get this

you HAVE to tick the 'de-interlace' box to stop it from deinterlacing your footage. It's totally the wrong way round. I couldn't figure out why it looked so aliased, but when I ticked the de-interlace box it looked nice and smooth on export.

I've just re-uploaded this version, I just hope Jarred uses the new mov and not the old one.

FlintMI
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Quicktime Pro on PC works just great!

1. the confusion for many (including me) at first, is the semantics running around. When someone says "h.264 mov"do they mean "use h.264 compresion" or do they mean "quicktime format, I don't care what compressor you use?" for example, if you submit a quicktime using sorenson compression, is that OK? Cause they are not the same technically, but the same to the end user. I guess it all sounds rather picky, but who wants to be disqualified on a technicality? it seems the organizers are pretty laid back about this stuff, but you never know.

2. Quicktime Pro using the Sorenson 3 compresser finishes about 4x faster than H.264 on my computer, an AMD X2 4800 with 2GB RAM.

Always export from your NLE uncompressed AVI. You'll have a 12GB file or something like that. Open in QT pro, export with Sorenson and you'll (typically) have no problems. :)

This is a ton of math for the computer however and if your system is not really running smoothly or optimized for this type of stuff, you might have problems. :(

Mark Harris
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Quicktime Pro on PC works just great!

1. the confusion for many (including me) at first, is the semantics running around. When someone says "h.264 mov"do they mean "use h.264 compresion" or do they mean "quicktime format, I don't care what compressor you use?" for example, if you submit a quicktime using sorenson compression, is that OK? Cause they are not the same technically, but the same to the end user. I guess it all sounds rather picky, but who wants to be disqualified on a technicality? it seems the organizers are pretty laid back about this stuff, but you never know.

Basically what they mean is an H.264 QT file.

FlintMI
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
So they are going to open each and every MOV and check if its h.264 compressed? I guess they could easily since they have to go in and ensure they are all 400x225...

I think like many, I figured if it was

1. Quicktime
2. Under 50MB
3. 400x225

...that was really all that mattered. But I used h.264 just in case.

Mark Harris
10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I hear you. I'm just gathering from what I've been told on the boards. I'd heard that MP4 was all right but that .mov was better. But H.264 was requested. Whether that was for better compression/quality, or just using the latest buzzwords, I dunno.

FlintMI
10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Sorenson Squeeze will ease your woes with quicktime.

Aram did you end up using Sorenson or H.264? I hope it isn't a big deal in the end.

deerhunt44
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
It seems to work fine with After Effects, as well.

Darkline
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=FlintMI]Quicktime Pro on PC works just great!

QUOTE]

hmmm, well I wish I had your PC. On mine it crashes, doesnt always bring up the settings box when you lcick it - now come on, thats not a misunderstanding, thats a bug.

Getting the de-interlace settings the wrong way round! well, dunno what you call that but unless I tick the box marked "De-interlace" it will de-interlace! I honestly couldnt figure out why my exports looked like they were exposed on string, and then I thought - 'this looks de-interlaced to me, hmmm lets try telling it to de-interlace this time and it might leave my footage alone' and it did.

unless I have a nasty virus, this is just nuts.

BTW I am using the standalone quicktime app - not as a third party plugin.

Tom Marshall
10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
So you shot your movie interlaced?

Darkline
10-03-2006, 02:17 PM
god no! lol

you can still de-interlace a prorgessive frame, it fremoves 1 field (stipes every other line of data out) and you'll get gagged edges and aliasing on diagonal lines etc.

Quicktime was de-interlacing my footage and I didnt know why it was looking so bad - until I clicked the 'de-interlace' checkbox and that stopped quicktime from stripping a field.

I think think when Movie Maters Gates of HelL opens, fields will come through. I hate working with fields, even in compositing - I cant wait to see the back of them. so No...... I never shoot interlaced....

FlintMI
10-03-2006, 04:10 PM
well I'm confused. I always thought you wanted to deinterlace. I deinterlace all over the place. at every step, out of NLE, out of my crop tool (Virtual Dub), and out of Quicktime. I get butter smooth video. when you freeze frame the quicktime its just milky smooth no jagged edges.

I reinstall windows every couple of months. well I should say, I ghost my machine then reload the ghost image. always seems to work really well for a few months, then windows gets bloated, then I ghost again.

Macs are better, but I'm not quite ready to retool across the board yet. very soon! (Bootcamp makes it possible)

Darkline
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
de-interlacing is the process of removing half of your resolution to avoid motion artifacts when viewing interlaced footage for the web.

if your picture consists of lines 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, etc de-interlacing removes the odd lines 1,3,5,7 etc. With interlaced material thats exactly what you want, otherwise you get 2 fields showing up on computer monitors. But if you shoot progressive you do not want to de-interlace (you are throwing away half of your vertical resolution)

As far as I can tell i'ts a bug in quicktime.

Rock Punk!
10-04-2006, 06:36 AM
I now dream in h.264. All my dreams are also less than 50MB and are 400 x 225 pixels. Of course this is only when I'm sleeping and not staying awake to verify that my file has uploaded to the server.

FlintMI
10-04-2006, 06:51 AM
de-interlacing is the process of removing half of your resolution to avoid motion artifacts when viewing interlaced footage for the web. if your picture consists of lines 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, etc de-interlacing removes the odd lines 1,3,5,7 etc. With interlaced material thats exactly what you want, otherwise you get 2 fields showing up on computer monitors. But if you shoot progressive you do not want to de-interlace (you are throwing away half of your vertical resolution) As far as I can tell i'ts a bug in quicktime.

??? wow, well I'm just not getting that behavior. I guess when you watch my movie you'll see... I deinterlaced it and when you pause it or scrub it, it has that nice 24fps progressive look to it. but I'm gonna try and do another run (just for my own testing purposes) where I *don't* deinterlace and see what happens. But from memory, it gives me the thing you say I'm supposed to get when I deinterlace: jagged edges and ghost-type double images. :huh:

Darkline
10-04-2006, 07:15 AM
hi flint

you're exactly right on the nose. The problem is quicktime has it the wrong way round. You should not be de-interlacing unless you shoot interlace. The reason it looks good to you is because quiktime has an error. Take a still into photoshop and de-interlace and you'll see the result. Presuming you shoot with the DVX in progressive mode then de-interlacing only degrages your footage.

I can only presume why it looks good is exactly what I said before, quicktime has an encoding error and has it the wrong way round. it's defaulting to de-interlace when the box isnt checked. When you check it, it leaves your footage alone and does not de-interlace.

very very wierd..

one thing you could try is de-interlacing directly in your editor, or like I say in photoshop. This will show you what it does to your image.