PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for Youtube? HVX or HD100

Philip_38
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
This is not a joke. I am shooting these 5 min speeches exclusively for web audience, for a political cause in South America. They look like crap. So I sold my assets and got money for either an HVX or a HD100, but after reading the posts here I can not make up my mind. If somebody can help me choose obe over the other, the whole venezuelan nation will be grateful. Here is a link to one of my videos shot with consumer camera (PV GS-400) and keyed with Premiere 2.0.

with some color correction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcH6ZQAxqXc

without any color correction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-jWYhnqVM

Philip (philiporleans@yahoo.com)

DavidBeier
10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Ummmm....niether? Seriously, considering how much you're gonna have to compress it for youtube, it's not gonna make a big difference one way or the other. The HVX's 4:2:2 advantage will be lost as will the JVC's slightly sharper 720p performance. I guess the only big difference would be to go for the HVX200 if you want variable frame rates (true slow motion) or the HD100 if you want interchangible lenses. Seriously though, I'd probably just get a DVX100 for that kind of compression.

Cheesesailor77
10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
or a gs500

DavidBeier
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Well I said the DVX100 because of the cheaper 24p but you may not even see that with this kind of compression. To be totally honest you're better off making a flash cartoon.

Cheesesailor77
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
just get the cheapest 3 ccd camera you can.

Bogdan
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
My advice will be somewhat different. Spend your money wisely and get the best camera you can afford. Check 2 new great machines coming up soon: Canon XH-A1 and Sony HVR-V1. Some day you may find yourself working on ambitious film project so aim high as an artist and with image quality.

Gan Eden Australia
05-29-2011, 03:35 AM
JVC. Good enough for YT.

MattinSTL
05-29-2011, 09:09 AM
just get the cheapest 3 ccd camera you can.

I agree with this... possibly not even that much! Don't buy an expensive cam for this stuff... buy your B or C cam now. Something like a Canon HV20, 30, or 40. (used or new, wait for a good sale). Decent lighting and sound will do more to help your production then almost anything else. Put a Zoom H2 up on the podium under the mic... or get another cheap recorder that accepts audio-in (I like putting the recorder right at the speaker, because it takes one element of potential failure out of the equation in live events like this, but I've used a Tascam HDP2 w/ audio in from a mix-board with great results)... then sync it up in post. For a job like this... that's nothing.

As for lighting... light the podium. The audience will be more engaged and your videos will turn out much better.

Both videos said "private" so I couldn't actually watch your vids, but I can tell you 100% that 100% of videos turn out better or worse as a result of lighting and sound vs. the camera used.

A couple cheap lights... a relatively cheap audio solution... and a cheap, yet decent camera (or two, if you want a close and wide shot)... will still be less then HALF what an "average" cam, soon to be "obsolete" will cost you. I wouldn't mention this, except that you specified a limited budget... the type of work you want to do... and the destination of youtube.

A close and wide cam from the same position, will make a more professional looking... more engaging video then a better cam that's moving or zooming, unless you intend it to look hand-held which is rarely a good look for anything that's supposed to be news-like, or neutral, factual reporting.

cheapass
05-29-2011, 04:32 PM
This thread is almost 5 years old guys.