PDA

View Full Version : The 'One thing I've learned' Thread.....

VersuS
09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Ok...since we're only hours away from the deadline...and even though 90% of you are still working to complete your projects....I thought about starting a thread where each one can say the ONE thing he learned from this experience...

Ok ok...we have all learned more than one thing...but to avoid biography writting....I thought it would be a good exercise for the reader and the writer to think of THE ONE BIG THING he learned..the one that topped the rest...the one thing he should definitely share.

To start my own thread then...

---->The one thing I've learned by doing Love Is The Most Deceptive Feeling and The Door Between...is that I can live with no crew, I can live with no real actors and terrible voice overs....what I can't live without is proper lighting. I've had the worst time of my life, trying to use shots that were so under-lit that you couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl....trying to squeeze in so many filters,one to light the shot, the other to bring down noise...another to diffuse...another to make my hair look cool....gosh! Not that with a decent lighting kit I wouldn't do CC and stuff....but it's different making your information look cool/sharp rather than trying to make it look like something...anything...

So if I had to keep one thing from Horrorfest and from my experience with this...BUY LIGHTS BEFORE YOU BUY THE CAMERA!

cinealma
09-30-2006, 11:36 AM
The one thing I learned, and I am still learning, is when you are editing, don't think of it as trying to piece takes together. Think of it as trying to piece FRAMES together. You don't have 80 takes to work with. You have 9000 frames to work with. And it's all about how you rearrange and put those frames together.

John G.

Matt Sconce
09-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I have learned the importance of ADR and a good sound guy. A MUST HAVE!

Rock Punk!
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I have learned that a lot of post production work goes into a 6 minute film. I thought that the shoot would be the longest item. Not even close.

Jaime V
10-02-2006, 05:53 AM
I have learned that I have a lot to learn...

TheatreGuy
10-02-2006, 06:00 AM
I have learned that even if you can do it all, you shouldn't.

I have found that I did so much, like everything, that I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I had to reshoot two very important scenes because while I was doing it all, I actually didn't follow my own direction (as an actor). I was more focused on the production values and framing and whether or not I was in the frame. Forget about trying to "act."

Brandon Rice
10-02-2006, 06:45 AM
I've learned that you can create an interesting short with a little bit of luck and a bunch of creativity :) Creativity solves a butt-load of problems...

Michael_Petro
10-02-2006, 06:47 AM
I have learned that I have a lot to learn...

Yeah thats me I'm not sure theres any one thing that sticks out... oo wait when your filming two woman making out dont let anyone on the set :) I thought a boyfreind and a husband where gonna pass out :)

// OO hey check it Apollyon is making a movie "Devil Inside" thats funny.

conrad_johnson
10-03-2006, 07:48 PM
How to spell Handsome.:)

Blaine
10-03-2006, 07:54 PM
oo wait when your filming two woman making out dont let anyone on the set :).
Wait!!!!!! You've got two women making out in your Horrorfest movie?!?!?! :shocked:

TimurCivan
10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
no matter how much vaseline you think you have on an actress.... its not enough. it will not prevent latex masks from sticking to her skin. or you own arm.

HorseFilms
10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
no matter how much vaseline you think you have on an actress.... its not enough.

I thought you were going in a different direction with this.:evil:

Cryogenic Filmworks
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I thought you were going in a different direction with this.:evil:
Had that same thought. :huh:

Michael_Petro
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Wait!!!!!! You've got two women making out in your Horrorfest movie?!?!?! :shocked:

Look out below.. NOW watch "BETRAYED" :)

http://phoenixbutterflyfilms.com/makeout.jpg

snodart
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
The most important thing that I learned is that no matter how much I think I can do at once, and no matter what I've been able to pull off in the past... a focus puller is a must have (with 35mm adapter) - no matter what - for every shot - ALWAYS.

The second most import thing that I learned is that I need to watch betrayed.
:kiss:

Michael_Petro
10-03-2006, 10:04 PM
The most important thing that I learned is that no matter how much I think I can do at once, and no matter what I've been able to pull off in the past... a focus puller is a must have (with 35mm adapter) - no matter what - for every shot - ALWAYS.

:) well I hope you like it...Thanks :)

Mark Harris
10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Timur snores.

Beat Takeshi
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I learned a 150 watt light and the right diffusion can go a long way.

TimurCivan
10-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Timur snores.

I do?

Beat Takeshi
10-03-2006, 11:39 PM
You didn't get the memo?

JoshuaNitschke
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I learned that lighting the inside of a car nicely is rather difficult when it's a small sports coupe.

I'll have to experiment with alternate means later, didn't really have time while shooting because I started so late.

Matt Sconce
10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
I learned that good actors are hard to find and that I need to learn how to help actors deliver more natural performances.

VersuS
10-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I also learned that crappy fake teeth are just crappy! The actor cant deliver a line wearing them....but you get the funniest blooper ....

Dario Nieva
10-04-2006, 06:23 AM
We've learned that you can never have too much liquid make up.

Charli
10-04-2006, 06:30 AM
What we've learned is that proper preproduction is paramount.

Gauranga
10-04-2006, 07:04 AM
I've learned that I need a hell of a lot more posts before I can vote on these!

54 to go!

Ralph Oshiro
10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
I learned that this is where you get everything to make movies:

http://www.24framefilms.com/TargetLogo.gif

Every set piece, set dressing, wardobe item, and craft services came from Target. Oh yeah, and the overpriced miniDV tape stock!

Weston
10-04-2006, 07:52 AM
hey i got stuff from Target too....

Ive learned that next time I should probably start my short as soon as the contest is announced and definately be compressed and ready to upload WAAAAY before the deadline.

HorseFilms
10-04-2006, 07:59 AM
I learned that I should plan my shots and lighting beforehand. I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do, but I really didn't put enough work into it, and it caused me some problems in post.

khmuse
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I learned that this forum is a great resource for communication but when it comes to moving big numbers of large files around (specifically the uploading process) it is at or beyond the limits of its capabilities in many areas.

I would really vote for a self host option for a future contest.

Brandon Rice
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Dude, the forum doesn't host the files, Jarred hosts them on a seperate area.

khmuse
10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
True, but it is still a single server and more importantly a very small number of individuals that are administrating the task. It would seem to me that the human resources are as much the bottleneck in this as any bandwidth / hosting ones.

The self host idea would off load a lot of problems by spreading the load of bandwidth and workload.

Just my own opinion based upon our experiences in this contest.

Brandon Rice
10-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Well. Both fests I've entered my files have been A-ok from the get go, and Jarred always makes it work. I think having done three previous fests, the system keeps getting better and better :)

Kholi
10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I learned that this forum is a great resource for communication but when it comes to moving big numbers of large files around (specifically the uploading process) it is at or beyond the limits of its capabilities in many areas.

I would really vote for a self host option for a future contest.

I'm sure busy Jarred is doing everything in his power to get the files moving.

TheatreGuy
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey Kholi, Is Candy Gram in the fest? Sorry to ask, but as I was preparing a list of all of the entries, I didn't see yours.

What's up? Can I throw that on my list?

Blaine
10-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I think I can sum up the answer to the question posed in this thread with one picture:

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/02/18/inside-snl-radner.jpg

TheatreGuy
10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
How to spell Handsome.:)
CLASSIC! LOL! :grin: (yeah, there is an inside joke there!)

Here, here! :)

Ive learned that next time I should probably start my short as soon as the contest is announced and definately be compressed and ready to upload WAAAAY before the deadline.
Very true! Very true, indeed!

Kholi
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Kholi, Is Candy Gram in the fest? Sorry to ask, but as I was preparing a list of all of the entries, I didn't see yours.

What's up? Can I throw that on my list?

Nooo. It's not going to be in. I tend to get cut short on productions, Candy Gram fell victim as well.

one day.

arielman
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
(1) One thing we learned ..Do not do animation at the last moment ..13hrs for a 5 sec clip
(2) Lots of aspirin
(3) do not try and change a clip at load up time . problems will arise .
(4) and the last one , discovering your Brother has a hidden talent . animation /music/writer/director and more ..amazing!!!!
Ian

TheatreGuy
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Nooo. It's not going to be in. I tend to get cut short on productions, Candy Gram fell victim as well.

one day.
BUMMER! I so wanted to see a Clown-Horror flick!

Ralph Oshiro
10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
What happened with CandyGram?

arielman
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I as well..bummer
Ian